Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot take: Multiculturalism is good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sk8erboii wrote: »
    ? The only thing embarassing here are the obviously bitter people with a chip on their shoulders.Lets face it, you're all docile men. You couldn't do this talk of hating immigrants in real life because you'd be shunned. World is changing, and old men keep dying. :D

And kids generally grow up and get some sense. Although I'm not convinced in this case tbh ;)

You pretend posters are racist because they've explained that your 'Hot Take' (sic) is rubbish? And as a response you attack others by making sexist and ageist remarks?

Yup you've a way to go there ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

? The only thing embarassing here are the obviously bitter people with a chip on their shoulders.

Lets face it, you're all docile men. You couldn't do this talk of hating immigrants in real life because you'd be shunned.

World is changing, and old men keep dying. :D

still talking nonsense eh ?

young men die too boii same as the old ones . not every one understands how to live though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think multiculturalism is a bad thing without a strong central culture that society is built around.
    Theres loads of guff with Leftists essentially eating each other and being emotionally fragile little babies who should be swiftly told where to go or thrown in a cell when they act the maggot like in the video below:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its not that hard to understand. Vietnam for example, was under the throes of French hegemony up until the 70s hence why they are wary of white landowners. In the same way Ireland is still collectively staunchly anti-British hegemony. Contrast say with the Philippines who are very much open to foreigners due to America fighting for their liberty against Japan during WW2.
    Its gas how people are citing the troubles in NI as somehow a symptom of our being too insular, or a lack of multiculturalism, when in fact its the main manifestation of multiculturalism on this island.

And the Phillipines... did you not know that the yanks intimidated the Spanish out of the place, and then bought it from them? Resulting in the Filipinos going to war against the yanks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine%E2%80%93American_War
    All their names were converted to Spanish and their language became English, but that was not through their own choice. Multiculturalism was imposed on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

I can't wait until we have a lesbian vegan great white shark doing provincial reports on RTE News and saying 'vey-hey-kil' at the side of a road in Edgeworthstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corminators

Good video by a muslim who lived in Germany for a number of years on what it's like to grow up in an islamic household in a Western country. Would recommend anybody watches it if they can. Link here.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 rays cyst

Hot take indeed. We are being taken for fools and what happens is word gets around and all the while that queue gets longer

What we need right about now is multicurtailism. One too many liberties being taken so what say we set about tying up a few loose ends and get our priorities in order. Nice natural moat surrounding us and in a remote location so how how about we reel in that drawbridge, take stock and salvage whatever remains. Before the whole of the third world comes crashing in top of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What is strange is that many of the people for Multiculturalism are against free market capitalism.

It is like Investment Bankers for the fourth International.

Dissonance must be soul destroying.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 rays cyst

Danzy wrote: »
    It is like Investment Bankers for the fourth International.

That’s right it’s like being hit with a right old left. Disorientating

Sucker punching yourself to spite your own face has got to be state of confusion in the first place, nevermind the repercussions. Heck it’s left me confused just thinking about it I myself, am more of what one might call an old fashioned leftist yet now I feel the need to embrace this apparent right-turn in order to attempt deter the impending clusterf*ck that will be inevitably be left in these peoples wake.

Whatever may come, will come. Naturally, but it’s not worth whatever short term gain for yourself / within your own lifetime so listen to the conversationist within... see the bigger picture and don’t force offset the natural balance because it’s teetering and come to realise our unique little microclimate we are revered for the world over is under threat. Basically it’s the ecology; stupid. Don’t fūck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So... You actually think I wrote the words 'everything new is automatically good'...?

Either it's a strawman are you can't read.

After reading your post I think it must be a strawman, cause a strawman cannot put a sentence together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Multiculturalism...good for some, not so much for others.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-24-at-15-14-44.png

Multiculturalism...good for some, not so much for others.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-24-at-15-14-44.png

Halawa's views would make Nick Griffin seem like a Gandhi.

His father is much worse.

Multiculturalism and neoliberal economics say and or fall together, you cannot be for one but against another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I thought he was in UCD ?

BTW did he go back to do Aeronautical Engineering like he originally wanted.

The immediate connection that springs to mind between Aeronautics and Egypt is Mohamed Atta.:o

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Why is he getting his fees waived.

imme wrote: »

Due to the terrible time he had that time he went to the cinema.

• Advertisement

Due to the terrible time he had that time he went to the cinema.

I wonder is he doing Film Studies ?

imme wrote: »

His associates were throwing gays off roof buildings all around him as he gave rousing speeches to them.

Waving fees may be a hope he can be educated away grow that mindset.

No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Multiculturalism and neoliberal economics say and or fall together, you cannot be for one but against another.

He was on 98fm yesterday morning. Adrian Kennedy refused to read out any criticism of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Surely if he lives in Ireland he doesn't have to pay fees anyway. It's a non-issue.

Emme wrote: »
    Surely if he lives in Ireland he doesn't have to pay fees anyway. It's a non-issue.

You have to have been living here continuously for a certain amount of time to qualify. He doesn’t qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

You have to have been living here continuously for a certain amount of time to qualify. He doesn’t qualify.
    OK. Even if he doesn't it will benefit Trinity to waive his fees. They will get all kinds of grants from international and liberal think tanks on the strength of this.

Ibrahim will have to sing for his supper by giving talks in the Phil and help liberal academics with their research. I think he will do well at Trinity but non-EU students might be a bit miffed at him getting his fees paid. Even so Trinity will benefit more from Ibrahim than vice versa.

I agree that Ibrahim may not be in the same league as Nelson Mandela but I hope he has a good experience in Trinity and graduates with flying colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

People forget that Ireland was once an insular society. We were an impoverished conservative society pretty much living in theocracy. Thankfully we have moved on from that. There are downsides and consequences to everything but so far multiculturalism has had a far more positive impact on Ireland than not.

I work for a company that employees a lot of foreign people and honestly it's one of the best parts of my job. Especially when I get invited to Brazilian bbq's :)

People forget that Ireland was once an insular society. We were an impoverished conservative society pretty much living in theocracy. Thankfully we have moved on from that. There are downsides and consequences to everything but so far multiculturalism has had a far more positive impact on Ireland than not.

I work for a company that employees a lot of foreign people and honestly it's one of the best parts of my job. Especially when I get invited to Brazilian bbq's :)

Personally I would much rather a Brazilian bbq than an Egyptian one.

Egypt is a funny old place, you go to the cinema and next thing you know someone is pushing you up onto a truck trailer to give a speech to the natives.
    And before you know it someone doesn't like the speech and you end up in jail being starved and tortured.

Liverpool were lucky Mo Salah was never into the old cinema.

jmayo wrote: »
    Personally I would much rather a Brazilian bbq than an Egyptian one.

Egypt is a funny old place, you go to the cinema and next thing you know someone is pushing you up onto a truck trailer to give a speech to the natives.
    And before you know it someone doesn't like the speech and you end up in jail being starved and tortured.

Liverpool were lucky Mo Salah was never into the old cinema.

I don't know, eqyptian food is pretty good. Feteer? YUM!

Egypt is indeed as strange place, as is the worlds reaction to what happened there. People seem to be okay with the fact that the military came in and overthrew the democratically elected government and is now running essentially a military dictatorship which is imprisoning and torturing anyone that would protest against them for doing that. But who cares right, as long as its not the Muslim Brotherhood. Democracy doesn't count if we don't like the result.

Egypt is indeed as strange place, as is the worlds reaction to what happened there. People seem to be okay with the fact that the military came in and overthrew the democratically elected government and is now running essentially a military dictatorship which is imprisoning and torturing anyone that would protest against them for doing that. But who cares right, as long as its not the Muslim Brotherhood. Democracy doesn't count if we don't like the result.

Actually the world, and sometimes the countries themselves, are in a much better place with dictators in charge..

Certainly often applies to countries where the majority of the population follow a certain religious and political ideology.
    Yes we know some of them have democracies, but again they would not be quite as free and open as what we know today in this part of the world.

The world, and indeed one could argue Syria and Libya themselves, were better off with their dictators than with them gone or being almost removed.
    Better the devil you know and all that.
    Putting it crudely at least you knew there was one side to avoid or kiss up to.
    Now there are many many strands of nutjobs.

The problem with democracy is it can allow some very sick groups or individuals to get into power.
    Just ask the Germans, but thankfully they learned their lessen.

But a lot of the world still has areas where tribal considerations still trump everything else and thus they are essentially incapable of governing themselves.
    Why does Northern Ireland spring to mind. :(

Democracy and The Muslim Brotherhood. DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

They military in Egypt has the constitutional duty to overthrow the government if it tries to usurp the will of the people. Like Morsi tried.

Democracy and The Muslim Brotherhood. DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

They military in Egypt has the constitutional duty to overthrow the government if it tries to usurp the will of the people. Like Morsi tried.

They were democratically elected whether we like it or not. The military in Egypt took advantage of their position. They were imprisoning and torturing protesters. They also only took action when Morsi tried to take away power from the Military. Let's not paint them like they are heros. Something very similar happened in Neighbouring Algeria. This was back in the 90s and the Military ran the country up until recent months. People like to paint the situation as black and white because they don't like MB (which btw neither do I) But it's a complicated situation and while you may not agree with someones interpretation of the situation is perfectly understandable why people were protesting the Military. They were viewed as having too much power. They overthrew a democratically elected government and also witnessed their neighbouring country under military rule for almost 30 years. But of course the doesn't suit some peoples narratives.

The Egyptian military are largely secularist.

The Govt they overthrew was a fanatical one.

The current dictatorship is brutal, it has thrown in much casual sectarian murder against Christians, repression of women to buy off the population.

It remains a less murderous option than what people would vote for, doesn't make it correct though.

They were democratically elected whether we like it or not. The military in Egypt took advantage of their position. They were imprisoning and torturing protesters. They also only took action when Morsi tried to take away power from the Military. Let's not paint them like they are heros. Something very similar happened in Neighbouring Algeria. This was back in the 90s and the Military ran the country up until recent months. People like to paint the situation as black and white because they don't like MB (which btw neither do I) But it's a complicated situation and while you may not agree with someones interpretation of the situation is perfectly understandable why people were protesting the Military. They were viewed as having too much power. They overthrew a democratically elected government and also witnessed their neighbouring country under military rule for almost 30 years. But of course the doesn't suit some peoples narratives.

The MB tried to change the constitution to suit them. The army was fully entitled to overthrow Morsi as per the constitution as it stood. It was their patriotic duty to overthrow Morsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The MB tried to change the constitution to suit them. The army was fully entitled to overthrow Morsi as per the constitution as it stood. It was their patriotic duty to overthrow Morsi.

A term we don't hear much anymore, so possibly lost on WoolyThinker et al.

• Advertisement

Again I'm not saying I support MB but you are naive if you think the current military dictatorship have good intentions. People seem to be forgiving of their actions (or just completely ignore them) because they are relatively secular and they over threw a theocratic government. Being secular doesn't make you automatically good. They plan to hold and keep power now. Again look at Algeria.

Really all that is beside the point. All I am really saying in this situation whether you support MB or not it is understandable why people were protesting the military. For many -rightly or wrongly it was seen as anti democratic and they feared exactly what is happening. A military dictatorship. They only had to look to their neighbouring Algeria to see an example of this. I can't understand why people find it exactable that the military were imprisoning and torturing protesters. The logic of why some people would be worried and protest in this situation seems to be lost on many people here.

Oh dear, this man was not properly briefed before he went on Claire Byrne last night and let slip a rather uncomfortable truth...

https://twitter.com/GwReturns/status/1133136262095941633

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Oh dear, this man was not properly briefed before he went on Claire Byrne last night and let slip a rather uncomfortable truth...

LOL why am i not surprised. A crusty looking skinhead ranting about immigrants. Im surprised he held back. George soros and the globalists didnt even get a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

He didn’t rant against anyone. What video clip did you watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

The look of shock on some of the brainwashed morons faces in the audience was priceless.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    He didn’t rant against anyone. What video clip did you watch?

The video where a rough looking skinhead shills self defence classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

LOL why am i not surprised. A crusty looking skinhead ranting about immigrants. Im surprised he held back. George soros and the globalists didnt even get a mention

Yea, I betcha he has a swastika tattoo under that shirt, and a big portrait of Hitler in his hallway at home that he gives the open hand salute to every morning he leaves the house.

gw80 wrote: »
    Yea, I betcha he has a swastika tattoo under that shirt, and a big portrait of Hitler in his hallway at home that he gives the open hand salute to every morning he leaves the house.

? Nah. He’s just looking out for his own interests. Its stereotypical at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I've no problem with multiculturalism, worked in 23 different countries and took in a lot of their culture, as they mine...if you are ever in the streets of Geoje Sth Korea and some local calls you a langer, you know I've been there (4 months). Most xenophobes probably never left their own parish, and those that worry about losing our culture...the brits tried that for a few hundred years and we still have most of it!
    A lot of Irish culture as we would understand it today was invented in the Victorian era

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

? Nah. He’s just looking out for his own interests. Its stereotypical at this point.

Yea, sure teaching people self defence is one of the most selfish things a person can do.

What a bastard.

That lad looks perfectly normal. He's certainly not a skin head and he's certainly not ranting.

Compare his tone of voice and composure to your own baseless and comical accusations of skinhead and ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Shills his free classes he teaches? The bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s just a working class man alluding to experiences of immigration in his area have you any yourself? I’ve had such pals in my youth by they often delevoped reputations as “horndog” and so I felt the need to disassociate. The blonde blue eyed girls in particular were considered exotic and so very much lusted after. Some had terminations / some didn’t.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    It’s just a working class man alluding to experiences of immigration in his area have you any yourself? I’ve had such pals in my youth by they often delevoped reputations as “horndog” and so I felt the need to disassociate. The blonde blue eyed girls in particular were considered exotic and so very much lusted after. Some had terminations / some didn’t.

? Yes. I have daily experiences and interactions with immigrants. All of it positive. My work and education had exposed me to more multiculturalism than your local guy at the pub can tell you about globalism.

Ah for the glory days of Anoghus von B when he could actually make you laugh whilst pontificating with his lofty air of superiority.

That lad had a certain panache about him whereas ... well the adults who have been around here for a while will understand.

Just goes to show the the younger generation don't have what it takes anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

? Yes. I have daily experiences and interactions with immigrants. All of it positive. My work and education had exposed me to more multiculturalism than your local guy at the pub can tell you about globalism.

And would those be fleeting interactions or more personal. Maybe you work with some, at the plant after mixing it up on the dart or maybe its the family of Somalis next door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah for the glory days of Anoghus von B when he could actually make you laugh whilst pontificating with his lofty air of superiority.

That lad had a certain panache about him whereas ... well the adults who have been around here for a while will understand.

Just goes to show the the younger generation don't have what it takes anymore.

In fairness, skater boy has the leaving cert coming up, so I assume that is taking up most of his time, so give him a break. If he fails again he is in trouble with his parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I’d be dubious of someone claiming that all interactions have been positive...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Like it or not, Ireland will become a white minority eventually, as will many countries in western europe.

People need to accept human globalisation is simply inevitable. The vast majority of people in this world aren't white (85-90%) and they will flock, quite understandably, to richer countries (USA/Canada, Western Europe, Australia).

Obviously some people will take issue with this, but we all human at the end of the day. Nationalism IMO, is simply is load of sh1t, so I say bring on human globalisation.

Just like people need to realise humans are going to kill the planet anyways because we use resources and resources are finite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness, skater boy has the leaving cert coming up, so I assume that is taking up most of his time, so give him a break. If he fails again he is in trouble with his parents.

TBH I always assumed one of his parents or siblings is an AH mod which is why he's still knocking around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement