Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What it used to be like to drive in Dublin...

Options
  • 07-03-2019 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Remember traffic Guards, bus conductors, phone boxes? Empty streets? Here's a lovely old video of a spin on a bus through mostly south city streets, ending up with a rare glimpse of Nelson's pillar, and not a japanese car in sight(or is there?). Enjoy :

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Thanks. Was trying to think of were my father would have been. He would have been about 15 so I believe on a bread van run.

I record videos like that for Youtube. Hope they get watched as eagerly in 60 years as this was by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres a great video on Youtube somewhere of someone driving from the city out to Howth in the 1950's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

So few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Here's a lovely one from the 40s, couldn't find the Howth one:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

And even earlier. Fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looks like a pub called Gerard Cook where The Auld Dubliner is now. All the pubs look great back then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Loving the amount of cyclists. See how everyone just shared the road and respected each other back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Here's a lovely one from the 40s, couldn't find the Howth one:

Why did they get rid of trams altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

368100 wrote: »
    Why did they get rid of trams altogether?

I believe it was at the behest of motor companies. All happened about the end of the fifties in most of Western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Shame alright, we had quite a network of tramlines...ahead of our time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    I believe it was at the behest of motor companies. All happened about the end of the fifties in most of Western Europe.

It was because buses were working out cheaper in the short term. Car manufacturers had nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Very interesting thread. When did traffic lights replace traffic wardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From the late 1930s but mainly the late 50s on. They were primarily claimed to be a pedestrian safety system; as the majority of people used public transport or bicycles back then

https://comeheretome.com/2012/07/16/the-first-traffic-lights-in-dublin-city-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Remember traffic Guards, bus conductors, phone boxes? Empty streets? Here's a lovely old video of a spin on a bus through mostly south city streets, ending up with a rare glimpse of Nelson's pillar, and not a japanese car in sight(or is there?). Enjoy :

I don't know what I expected but I'm a bit surprised at how easily recognisable the streets are. Dame St looks much wider than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

What a fabulous thread. I never knew that street under the arch at Dublinia was 2 way at one stage.

I remember being taken to Dublin back in the early 60's and going down Grafton Street on the upper deck of an 86 Bus. The buildings were so close then, or at least that's how it felt. Am I right in saying Grafton Street was also 2 way then?

You really have brought back some memories OP...Go Raibh Mhíle Mhaith Agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jon1981 wrote: »
    Shame alright, we had quite a network of tramlines...ahead of our time :D
    Those damm British with their trams and national rail system really held us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cienciano wrote: »
    Looks like a pub called Gerard Cook where The Auld Dubliner is now. All the pubs look great back then
    No draught Guinness, smokes zones like the Western Front, barmen wearing aprons, early houses and the Holy Hour
    Ah different times

Advertisement