Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlesland or Holywell Kilcoole

• 07-03-2019 8:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on this, without starting a bashing on either area. We love both areas, but are really torn.
    A house in Holywell will be better size, a 3 bed semi D, side passage, small estate, no work needed on the house as they're fairly new. 5 minute walk to Centra, 10 to Tesco express. Would have to drive to the dart, the kids school, and Greystones town.
    Charlesland houses are smaller, 2 bed terraced, small gardens, attic would need converting or else to buy one with an already converted attic and pay 40k more, nice green areas for the kids to play, a lovely community atmosphere, short walk to the supermarket, doctors, and my kids school, a lot of the kids friends live locally here too. Just worried that as the kids get older there will be a lack of space and we'll be on top of each other.
    Struggling to weigh up these pros and cons. Would love some opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

markest wrote: »

Yes but the 3 bed houses are out of our price range. We already own a duplex and will sell it, we don't want to buy another one, we would prefer a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think you've already summarised the pros and cons. One key question is do you see yourself moving again in the future?

also where are your kids in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Everything else being equal (green areas, atmosphere walking distance to amenities), I think the main thing is driving to school (plenty manage, but not something I would want to do) and the suitability of the house where, in all likelihood, you will be spending most of your time. Normally I'd plump for the extra bedroom, side-passage, garden etc but I'd also like the idea of my kids being able to participate in after school activities, which is hampered somewhat when they have to rely on lifts and the bus.

A tough one for sure, but I think I'd lean towards the larger house. Now if they ever make that greenway along the coast you could bike into Greystones in no time!

The kids are in school in Greystones. In fact, the permanent building will be right beside Charlesland when it's ready in a few months time. I love the idea of it being so close. It would definitely be a drive from Kilcoole.
    On the flip side we don't see ourselves moving again in the future. And we sort of view the 2 bed houses in Charlesland as starter homes more so. We've already had our starter home, we are looking for our next home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I moved from Greystones to Kilcoole around 12 years ago. My daughter goes to school in Templecarrig.

Adavantages of Holywell & Kilcoole:
    1) Much larger house and garden for same price.
    2) Far superior build quality.
    3) Far lower running costs thanks to solar panels and superior insulation.
    4) Much lower maintenance / management fees. In my estate €100 per year.
    5) Far quieter than Charlesland.

Disadvantages of Holywell / Kilcoole
    1) There is very little in Kilcoole in terms of shops, cafes etc.
    2) Although the shops in Charlesland are poor (cafe is good) it is not that far from Greystones.
    3) compared to Kilcoole village, Greystones village is a fantastic place and is within walking distance of Charlesland.

In terms of school transport, the difference between the drive between Charlesland and Greystones and Kilcoole and Greystones is negligible. Besides the bus service is grand and once kids hit 2nd year they want to do their own thing.

That’s my 2c worth.

2011 wrote: »
    I moved from Greystones to Kilcoole around 12 years ago. My daughter goes to school in Templecarrig.

Adavantages of Holywell & Kilcoole:
    1) Much larger house and garden for same price.
    2) Far superior build quality.
    3) Far lower running costs thanks to solar panels and superior insulation.
    4) Much lower maintenance / management fees. In my estate €100 per year.
    5) Far quieter than Charlesland.

Disadvantages of Holywell / Kilcoole
    1) There is very little in Kilcoole in terms of shops, cafes etc.
    2) Although the shops in Charlesland are poor (cafe is good) it is not that far from Greystones.
    3) compared to Kilcoole village, Greystones village is a fantastic place and is within walking distance of Charlesland.

In terms of school transport, the difference between the drive between Charlesland and Greystones and Kilcoole and Greystones is negligible. Besides the bus service is grand and once kids hit 2nd year they want to do their own thing.

That’s my 2c worth.

I agree with all of the above. I'm really struggling with the decision. I guess I'm waiting for a light bulb moment of decisiveness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree with all of the above. I'm really struggling with the decision. I guess I'm waiting for a light bulb moment of decisiveness.

My sister and her family live in Charlesland and are very happy there. The kids love it. However she had to spend a lot of money doing it up because the build quality was so poor. Heating bills were through the roof (due to poor insulation and lots of drafts) plumbing very poor, roofing issues, overall finish very bad and numerous small issues. Now that most of this has been resolved the house is so much better, but it did cost a lot of money. If you buy a house where this has not been done you need to factor these costs in.

The biggest remaining problem is the lack of space despite the fact that the attic has been converted. You are very limited with what can be done to create more space. The bedrooms are particularly small, as are the gardens.

There are all sorts of plans for development in Kilcooole. How, when and what will materialize is anyone’s guess. If this turns out well property prices will soar as surrounding “posh” areas are literally running out of space. This may be the last chance to get a descent sized house in the area on your budget. Holywell is far enough away from the Main Street that even if the impending development is a total disaster the impact will be quite limited. This estate also has plenty of large, well maintained green spaces for kids to play on which is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The kids are in school in Greystones. In fact, the permanent building will be right beside Charlesland when it's ready in a few months time. I love the idea of it being so close. It would definitely be a drive from Kilcoole.
    On the flip side we don't see ourselves moving again in the future. And we sort of view the 2 bed houses in Charlesland as starter homes more so. We've already had our starter home, we are looking for our next home.

The secondary school will be nearby too.

It saves a lot of hassle with school transport in the future.

At the moment traffic from kilcoole to Charlesland may not seem too bad. 5/10 years down the line with more kilcoole development and 2 new schools in Charlesland and it will be a very different story.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Looking for advice on this, without starting a bashing on either area. We love both areas, but are really torn.
    A house in Holywell will be better size, a 3 bed semi D, side passage, small estate, no work needed on the house as they're fairly new. 5 minute walk to Centra, 10 to Tesco express. Would have to drive to the dart, the kids school, and Greystones town.
    Charlesland houses are smaller, 2 bed terraced, small gardens, attic would need converting or else to buy one with an already converted attic and pay 40k more, nice green areas for the kids to play, a lovely community atmosphere, short walk to the supermarket, doctors, and my kids school, a lot of the kids friends live locally here too. Just worried that as the kids get older there will be a lack of space and we'll be on top of each other.
    Struggling to weigh up these pros and cons. Would love some opinions.

We bought a two bed in Harolds cross 10 years ago, no kids at the time. Fast forward to 2019 and I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old. The house is now far too small for all of us. Buying a house in Seagreen as a result of the lack of space. Dont underestimate space.

• Advertisement

At the moment traffic from kilcoole to Charlesland may not seem too bad. 5/10 years down the line with more kilcoole development and 2 new schools in Charlesland and it will be a very different story.

I agree, but in 5 to 10 years time the kids may have left school (depending on thier age). Also many if the amenities that Kilcoole is lacking should be in place by then. This doesn’t solve the possible school transport issues but it makes living in Kilcoole a more attractive prospect.

Like many people living in Kilcoole I have to drive past Greystones on the way to work. I use this journey to drop kids to school. Sometimes the times don’t work so they simply get the bus. It’s not that big a deal really. Kids are happy to do that.

You may also find that the traffic from Charlesland to schools in Greystones is a serious problem by then too.

There are all sorts of plans for development in Kilcooole. How, when and what will materialize is anyone’s guess. If this turns out well property prices will soar as surrounding “posh” areas are literally running out of space. This may be the last chance to get a descent sized house in the area on your budget. Holywell is far enough away from the Main Street that even if the impending development is a total disaster the impact will be quite limited. This estate also has plenty of large, well maintained green spaces for kids to play on which is always good.

Yeah I heard there are more plans for development in the area. And I agree with you that the building quality in Charlesland isn't great.
    The secondary school will be nearby too.

It saves a lot of hassle with school transport in the future.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of. Depending on the patronage of the secondary school, there's a good chance the kids could go there too. I know most people have to drive their kids to school, there aren't many that walk these days, but it would be great to have that on our doorstep and be able to walk.
    Cluster wrote: »
    We bought a two bed in Harolds cross 10 years ago, no kids at the time. Fast forward to 2019 and I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old. The house is now far too small for all of us. Buying a house in Seagreen as a result of the lack of space. Dont underestimate space.

Did you convert the attic in the 2 bed and still find it too small? We would without doubt have to convert the attic in Charlesland, but even at that, they are tight on space, narrow houses with no hallway. Seagreen look really nice!

Yeah I heard there are more plans for development in the area. And I agree with you that the building quality in Charlesland isn't great.

The poor build quality can be resolved with time and money. Many residents have already dealt with this, something you need to check if buying one. However these houses will always be small even with an attic conversion. This applies in particular to to the 2 beds as they are tiny. When a home is for sale it can be “staged” so that it looks less cramped than it really is. The best thing to do is visit a similar home that is not for sale thy has the same number of occupants as you will have. Then you will see how cramped it really is.
    Seagreen look really nice!

Yes, a different league as is Glenheron. These homes will exert a downward pressure on the prices of all of these the Celtic Tiger built houses (such as mine :mad: ).

The poor build quality can be resolved with time and money. Many residents have already dealt with this, something you need to check if buying one. However these houses will always be small even with an attic conversion. This applies in particular to to the 2 beds as they are tiny. When a home is for sale it can be “staged” so that it looks less cramped than it really is. The best thing to do is visit a similar home that is not for sale thy has the same number of occupants as you will have. Then you will see how cramped it really is.

Oh most definitely! In the photos the rooms look a much better size, compared to when we viewed them in person.

https://www.wicklow.ie/Portals/0/Documents/Planning/Development-Plans-Strategies/Local-Area-Town-Settlement-Plans/Greystones-Delgany/Greystones-Delgany-Kilcoole-Local-Area-Plan-2013-2019/Map%20C%20-%20Indicative%20Flood%20Zones.pdf

It appears that Holywell is in a high risk area for flooding. Does anyone know anything about this? I asked the EA he said no risk. I asked if the owners had any issues getting house insurance, they said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It appears that Holywell is in a high risk area for flooding. Does anyone know anything about this? I asked the EA he said no risk. I asked if the owners had any issues getting house insurance, they said no.

There's a tiny stream that runs through it.... And i mean tiny. There was an issue one year where a small "bridge" got blocked and in heavy rain I believe a few houses had an issue, but the bridge has since been raised and i doubt there will be a recurrence. Asking the owners would be your best bet, but in general I've never heard of flooding anywhere in kilcoole.

I’ve been living in Kilcoole for over 12 years now during which we have seen a number of “exteam weather events”, however none lead to any flooding of houses that I have seen. The only place I saw flooding was on the road as you exit Kilcoole heading towards Greystones. This was not near any homes and was driveable.

As above the stream in question is tiny even after very heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I live in a 2 x bed in Charlesland but I find I'm in Kilcoole a lot, mainly due to the traffic on Greystones Main Street.

Eg trying to get to the Post office in Greystones is a nightmare.
    - the traffic to get there, the paid parking, the queue's inside.
    - yes I know not meant to be charged for parking less than 15 mins but never happens.
    - No traffic and no queues on Kilcoole.

The pubs in Kilcoole are, in my opinion, better.
    - 2 x family run establishments and consistently decent bar food and friendly staff.

The village has a real Community feel to it.

On the flip side, no supermarkets.
    But living in Charlesland I drive to the supermarkets anyway.
    I heard a Lidl is meant to be going into Kilcoole but when that is - I don't know.

Aesthetically, Greystones Main Street looks nicer.
    But I guess that's why it's more expensive.

There's only one coffee shop in Kilcoole that I know of.

We're two adults living in this 2 bed and honestly no matter how many bedrooms you have, there isn't enough downstairs space. And that's with no kids.
    The garden's are too small to extend out.
    Sometimes in the summer the gardens have a feel of a "commune" they're so close together, very little privacy.
    The gardens all flood in heavy rain, if you're a gardener you'll need to dig up the existing ground and lay properly.
    Check what time you get the sun in the back, I'd prefer evening sun as we're out during the day.

It's windy at the moment, and the blinds are all blowing on the windows and doors, so you'll need double glazing put in if you buy, circa 20k I think.
    - The windows and doors are tightly shut.

The water boilers in all the houses in this cul de sac have all broken down in the last year, so that's another 2k.

The sewerage is an awful issue, particularly when it rains. The smell is just awful.

You will need a new kitchen.
    Maybe you've budgeted for that.
    The white gloss coverings crack and fall off the doors.
    If it's the original oven, the element will be ready to go any day so that'll need to be replaced also.
    If you like to cook, consider a redesign of the kitchen layout as there's very little free counter space or storage in the current layout.

The gas fire's in the sitting rooms need to be removed.
    Numerous reports of leaking gas. My neighbour was very lucky to have caught their leak in time.
    You can't replace with a stove as the building doesn't have a chimney breast.
    What you see is fake / cosmetic so no alternative heat source unless you plugin a heater.
    Also, you'll probly need to add electrical wiring to the sitting room as there aren't enough plugs.
    What are there, are on the wrong side of the room. Same with the bedrooms.

Charlesland wins location wise, but to say they're a bad build is an understatement.
    Actually, as I type, I realise that if Supervalu ever moved from Charlesland it wouldn't suit location wise at all.

The bigger greens are overrun with dog ****.
    Locals use them as a dog run and don't like to pick up after their little darlings.
    I certainly wouldn't let kids play in that disgusting mess.

If you've any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ellejay wrote: »

It's windy at the moment, and the blinds are all blowing on the windows and doors, so you'll need double glazing put in if you buy, circa 20k I think.
    - The windows and doors are tightly shut.

they already have double-glazing, I believe the issue is that the insulation behind the walls is poorly applied and the windows aren't properly sealed. I've seen pictures of work done in Charlesland to fix this by removing the plasterboard and properly insulating/sealing.

I didn't realise the build quality was so bad - we lived in C Grove for 4 years and I though it was OK, but we moved into the house from new, so I guess we got out before things started going wrong.

(the issue of dogsh!t on the greens is the same in every estate).

Turns out we can't afford a 3 bed house in Kilcoole. We were outbid.
    We can afford either a 2 bed house or a 3 bed duplex in Charlesland.
    We weren't going to consider the duplexes but now we have no option. Once inside, they do feel like a house. Until you look out the window. 3 bedrooms straight away, no conversion needed. However the kitchens are small. Not much room for a table and 4 chairs unless you take out the downstairs WC.
    For a 2 bed house we'd need to convert the attic and hopefully extend the kitchen. Although I don't see many that have done that, except in the end of terrace/semi D 3 beds, so hopefully planning permission wouldn't be an issue. I would also want to re-do the kitchen, possibly make it open plan and have it extended out a few metres.
    Any thoughts on pros and cons of buying/living in a duplex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I’m in the Wood. Two bed mid terrace. Here since the beginning.

Oven still works, my gas boiler hasn’t given me any trouble , never a smell of sewage , my garden has never flooded , my blinds don’t move when it’s windy.

I did disconnect the gas fire so I just use the gas boiler to heat the rads up. Attic converted , well semi converted in so far as I don’t have a proper stairs. Just use the pull down one and I had a decent sized pool table up for many years and a desk and lots of storage. It’s a big room. I didn’t need another bedroom so it’s perfect. Never stuck for storage and darn cheap to convert if you’re just removing the light box tube , flooring it and dry lining.

I believe there were different builders and that may account for some variances in quality. The orientation of the house matters.

Great area for kids , my lad plays football on the green in our park and has never come in with dog sh1t on his runners. Great community spirit too with the soccer tournament and WhatsApp groups. 184 bus is close to the estates at the bottom but you can also get the 84 home and walk down through the estate which is great.

FirstIn wrote: »
    I’m in the Wood. Two bed mid terrace. Here since the beginning.

Oven still works, my gas boiler hasn’t given me any trouble , never a smell of sewage , my garden has never flooded , my blinds don’t move when it’s windy.

I did disconnect the gas fire so I just use the gas boiler to heat the rads up. Attic converted , well semi converted in so far as I don’t have a proper stairs. Just use the pull down one and I had a decent sized pool table up for many years and a desk and lots of storage. It’s a big room. I didn’t need another bedroom so it’s perfect. Never stuck for storage and darn cheap to convert if you’re just removing the light box tube , flooring it and dry lining.

I believe there were different builders and that may account for some variances in quality. The orientation of the house matters.

Great area for kids , my lad plays football on the green in our park and has never come in with dog sh1t on his runners. Great community spirit too with the soccer tournament and WhatsApp groups. 184 bus is close to the estates at the bottom but you can also get the 84 home and walk down through the estate which is great.

Would you recommend it to a prospective buyer? 2 kids. Will convert the attic or buy one already converted. The kids school will be beside Charlesland when the permanent building is ready. Are the Mng Co fees about 300/400 for the year? Any idea what the duplexes are like for family living?

Advertisement