Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower/Plant for kitchen Windows Sill

Options
  • 07-03-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi looking for recommendations for an indoor plant/flower (preferably with colour) for a small kitchen window sill. Something that lasts preferably!! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Pelargonium: bright big flowers, tough, love bright light and heat, nearly impossible to kill.

Traditional and hard to beat.

They are the ones commonly known as "Geraniums" but the name is technically inaccurate.

http://tinyurl.com/y5q3wrrp

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does depend to some extent on which way your window faces. Is it south facing and gets a lot of sun, north facing or in a passageway that gets no sun, or a bit of both? I would not be too insistent on it lasting indefinitely, most things with colour tend not to have either a long life or not long colour. Also they get can dusty and sad looking in a kitchen, its a difficult enough environment for a plant.

Having said all that you could try Kalanchoe, they will last a good while, the flowers do eventually go off - either wait for it to flower again or get a new one, they are not expensive and are readily available in supermarkets. An orchid - phalaenopsis - the usual ones you see in supermarkets - are much easier than people think, the flower spray will last for for months in the right situation - and will flower again if you are patient, at least once in the year, sometimes twice. They are the plants with the longest lasting flowers I can think of at the moment, if I think of any more I will get back to you!

Advertisement