Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter

Options
  • 07-03-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows a good way to get a splinter out of a child's hand.
    I have a 4 year old & she won't leave me near it with a tweezers.
    I have tried for ages & even tried to bribe her with s chocolate bar to no avail.
    Has anyone any ideas please?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Into the bath... It'll soften the skin, and maybe a bit of sudocreme and a plaster will draw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Into the bath... It'll soften the skin, and maybe a bit of sudocreme and a plaster will draw it out.

Great, thanks for that, I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Bread wettened with water hot as bearable applied to the area will get it out

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Put a closed calpol syringe over it and use the plunger part (excuse my terminology) to draw it out.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If all else fails, you can get a cream in the chemist called Magnesium Sulphate. Put a blob of that on and cover with a plaster; it will draw out the splinter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Toots wrote: »
    If all else fails, you can get a cream in the chemist called Magnesium Sulphate. Put a blob of that on and cover with a plaster; it will draw out the splinter.

^^ This.

As a bonus it smells lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

jopax wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows a good way to get a splinter out of a child's hand.
    I have a 4 year old & she won't leave me near it with a tweezers.
    I have tried for ages & even tried to bribe her with s chocolate bar to no avail.
    Has anyone any ideas please?

If you have any pva glue you can pour some over the splinter and surrounding skin let it set and peel it off. It's worked for me with our 3 year old in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

As per Big Bag of Chips - soak hand in hot water 10-20 mins. Splinter easily accessible then.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Thank you everyone for your replies, I soaked it for 30 mins in warm water & it slid out.

Advertisement