Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex education in schools!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Paul Lee

Well.... how exactly are you going to enfoece it?

Legislation is voted upon by TDs who are elected: are you proposing taking the vote away from childless people? Or what about TDs who don't have kids, but represent people who do?

Or teachers, scout/guide leaders, childcare professionals, social workers...? You don't value their input because they simply never had kids?

The idea that you HAVE to be a parent in order to know kids is one of the stupidest ideas regularly expressed on boards.ie.

Look Princess. I know it's a bummer when you have to make stuff up to "win". Life's tough for Princesses. Abdication is always an option. Join the "commoners" perhaps?

Why am I supposedly worried about what?

What might you "pursue me legally" for and how?

Be as specific as possible, please.

No, like I said I'm not pursuing you. You're fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Paul Lee wrote: »
    Look Princess. I know it's a bummer when you have to make stuff up to "win". Life's tough for Princesses. Abdication is always an option. Join the "commoners" perhaps?

If you're going to ignore a post, don't reply to it!! Replying to it with an ad homeinem just highlights the fact that you can't handle the arguments!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Faugheen wrote: »
    Like letting them figure out everything else themselves?

Why are you getting so hung up on this? What’s the harm?

There’s a taboo around masturbation (just read this thread) when it’s perfectly normal.

True. You don't go blind or hairy

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭FeirmeoirtTed

Faugheen wrote: »
    Like letting them figure out everything else themselves?

Why are you getting so hung up on this? What’s the harm?

There’s a taboo around masturbation (just read this thread) when it’s perfectly normal.

Children in primary school are taught sex education through the busy bodies programme, it deals with puberty 5th class and where babies come from in 6th class in the stay safe programme they are taught about personal safety and good and bad touches . Children mature and develop at different rates so by having a general approach as we have you ensure children have the basics and its not overwhelming for them, I've no idea who thinks masturbation is going to be taught in schools id assume that's secondary but as the primary educator of their children id imagine most parents would want to discuss that with their children themselves rather than have a teacher they say for 40 mins a few times a week explain it to them. I'd have to agree with the poster above children in primary school are squeamish enough about the current curriculum without introducing talks about masturbation, there is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing children to be children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Nope, I’m against it. Against contraception , against the whole lot. Let kids be kids. Did me end my wife no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Midster wrote: »
    I’m not sure an education for kids about sex is even necessary. After all everyone I know learnt more by talking to there own friends and then having sex themselves.
    The education really is only actually needed for what happens before sex, the dos, and don’t s, and how important the word no is.

And the consequences of not listening to that word.

Sex education is not necessary? Seriously?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is a really creepy ideologically motivated "education" worse than none at all? I'd say definitely yes. Better to suffer from accidental ignorance than from orchestrated emotional damage.

I detest ignorance. I'm a teacher myself in the private sector. I teach primary to third level. I teach my own kids outside of school hours but unfortunately can't home school yet- That may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is a really creepy ideologically motivated "education" worse than none at all? I'd say definitely yes. Better to suffer from accidental ignorance than from orchestrated emotional damage.

I detest ignorance. I'm a teacher myself in the private sector. I teach primary to third level. I teach my own kids outside of school hours but unfortunately can't home school yet- That may change.
    What is 'creepy' about teaching kids about masturbation? It's just masturbation.

What is 'creepy' about teaching kids about masturbation? It's just masturbation.

Have you ever actually spoken to children before? Why on earth would an adult discuss masturbation with a classroom of children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, like I said I'm not pursuing you. You're fine. :)

You are implying (again) that I am involved in an illegal activity.

What illegal activity is this?

Be as specific as you can.

Or are you going to be a coward again?

Your posts have consequences, as you will eventually find out.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

What's with certain adults wanting to teach children about masturbation?

What will these classes involve? Are you actually going to teach little boys and girls to touch themselves?

What are you trying to achieve with this?
    Have you ever actually spoken to children before? Why on earth would an adult discuss masturbation with a classroom of children?

That's the problem with misinformation.

The syallabus is about relationship and safety advice for teenagers who are already sexually active and very likely to start having sexual relationships in the near future.

But some gob****e came in here and said "they're teaching kids who to masturbate" and now people think that it's all about teaching primary school kids how to jerk off.

The only thing that needs to be done here is to say that it's normal, don't overdo it and do it in private. Most of the target audience (again - teenagers - not prepubescent kids) will already have discovered this on their own, as posters have pointed out.

As I said previously: if it takes longer than two minutes, someone's overthinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is a really creepy ideologically motivated "education" worse than none at all? I'd say definitely yes.

Better get the catholic church out of all schools now, then...

I'm still waiting btw for you to back up your libellous nonsense

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Paul Lee - do not post in this thread again

That's the problem with misinformation.

The syallabus is about relationship and safety advice for teenagers who are already sexually active and very likely to start having sexual relationships in the near future.

But some gob****e came in here and said "they're teaching kids who to masturbate" and now people think that it's all about teaching primary school kids how to jerk off.

The only thing that needs to be done here is to say that it's normal, don't overdo it and do it in private. Most of the target audience (again - teenagers - not prepubescent kids) will already have discovered this on their own, as posters have pointed out.

As I said previously: if it takes longer than two minutes, someone's overthinking it.

Teaching primary school kids about masturbation is not on the rse programme and in my opinion it doesn't and shouldn't be on the primary school programme, there are some people on here saying that teaching kids about masturbation is fine shir its natural..... wtf

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Teaching primary school kids about masturbation is not on the rse programme and in my opinion it doesn't and shouldn't be on the primary school programme, there are some people on here saying that teaching kids about masturbation is fine shir its natural..... wtf

do you think masturbation is unnatural?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    do you think masturbation is unnatural?

It's perfectly natural. What's unnatural and uncomfortable for children is their primary school teacher explaining masturbation to them when many or most of them may not have even entered puberty. Why on God's green earth would you want your child talkng to an adult about masturbation?
    Christmas is coming do you think we should tell them all about that too while were at it?

It's perfectly natural. What's unnatural and uncomfortable for children is their primary school teacher explaining masturbation to them when many or most of them may not have even entered puberty.?

why not?

are you ashamed of it or something? does it make you uncomfortable?

why not?

are you ashamed of it or something? does it make you uncomfortable?

It's not about what I want I'm an adult I make informed choices, it's about the children being uncomfortable. You are confusing short adults with children they are not the same. But its great how liberal you are and comfortable you feel talking to children about masturbation thats in no way alarming

It's not about what I want I'm an adult I make informed choices, it's about the children being uncomfortable.

actually its about not making kids uncomfortable...

but judging by your previous posts across the site its obvious where your biases lie, and why it makes you feel uncomfortable talking about these issues.

your 'pearl clutching' reaction says enough about your views.

• Advertisement

Using the word "natural" is a bit of a misnomer because natural/unnatrual is not the same as good/bad. Case in point: wearing clothes is technically unnatrual.

That aside, I pretty much agree with you here; and as you said - it's not on the program.

actually its about not making kids uncomfortable...

but judging by your previous posts across the site its obvious where your biases lie, and why it makes you feel uncomfortable talking about these issues.

your 'pearl clutching' reaction says enough about your views.
    Ohhh right that told me I guess you win this argument, I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in, I'd imagine that 90 percent of the people I know and work with would have a problem with their primary school teacher talking to their children about masturbation. maybe your circle are much more woke than mine. It's ok for us to have a difference of opinion but I'm speaking about children being uncomfortable not me being uncomfortable. Glad you took the time to read through all my posts though hope you learned loads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

One of the main issues here is the use of the word 'kids'. Teaching 'kids' about sex. The 'kids' in question are in their teens.

One of the main issues here is the use of the word 'kids'. Teaching 'kids' about sex. The 'kids' in question are in their teens.
    No there are posters here suggesting primary school children should be taught about masturbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Yes sex education is not necessary. Us humans have had a pretty good idea on how to procreate since the time of being monkeys.

We have also been through times when the church shamed sex, and people who spoke of it. And people listened.

Times when even the sight of a woman’s ankle was considered sexual.

And yet we are all here, all 7.5 billion of us.

So like I said, the biggest problem these days that both boys and girls, men and women need to be educated on is when no means no, how much weight is behind those words. And when to much alcohol or drugs in a person can also mean to stay away, and not take advantage.

Outline THAT!!!

Sex education never has been, and hopefully never will be necessary.

So were the kids that taught me.

What’s wrong with that?

No there are posters here suggesting primary school children should be taught about masturbation.

THOSE THAT WANT TO DO IT

ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO IT

Yes sex education is not necessary. Us humans have had a pretty good idea on how to procreate since the time of being monkeys.

We have also been through times when the church shamed sex, and people who spoke of it. And people listened.

Times when even the sight of a woman’s ankle was considered sexual.

And yet we are all here, all 7.5 billion of us.

So like I said, the biggest problem these days that both boys and girls, men and women need to be educated on is when no means no, how much weight is behind those words. And when to much alcohol or drugs in a person can also mean to stay away, and not take advantage.

Outline THAT!!!

It's already taken care of in biology anyway.

I think you need to have a quick look at what is and isn't actually on the syallabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Midster wrote:

Ah right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why would you not want to discuss it, as part of a programme of sex education? What specifically is your problem with discussing it?
    So were the kids that taught me.

What’s wrong with that?

Sure who needs schools anyway? Let's get kids to teach each other everything. What could possibly go wrong?

Advertisement