Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paediatric ENT under Cross-Border Directive?

Options
  • 07-03-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all, as the title says looking for info about the Cross-Border Directive, specifically for a child who may need a tonsillectomy and addenoidectomy. Kingsbridge the main hospital that people are going to in the North only operates on patients over 14. I have been on to the HSE and they sent me a list of every hospital in Northern Ireland and say they can't give any more info.
    Have been ringing hospitals on the list and they haven't a clue what I'm talking about. There must be people who have gone to the North for ENT as the waiting lists are particularly bad.
    My daughter's speech is being severely affected and we have been given an approx. three year wait for an initial consultation. We tried to go private in the same hospital and you are only allowed if you have health insurance which we don't for the kids (as I wrongly believed that it wasn't necessary). I had priced it in the Mater Private and it would work out about €3,000 which I would be willing to borrow for given the impact it is having on her. But given the length of the waiting list and the ineptitude of the HSE in dealing with us I feel strongly that we should really try to crack this Cross-Border thing and make them pay for it! Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Ask them in Knightsbridge maybe? I've been up there twice, once for tonsillectomy for my 14 year old and they were fantastic, very helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shivsiefc

Hi Starblue, did you find a hospital that will perform tonsillectomy and addenoidectomy on under 14's in northern Ireland? My 3 year old saw a private consultant here in the republic and she is booked for surgery to get tonsils and addenoids out in September. Like you we dont have health insurance for the kids and the surgery is costing €3000. It would be great if the surgery can be done under the cross border directive and I will be reimbursed this money. I hope your daughter is doing well Did she have the surgery and if so how did it go? Thanks in advance and any information or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

Hi,

Did either if you get this done up north or south. My little one nearly 4 will need to get them removed but it's going to be years waiting on the public list.

Cheers,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Starblue

Hey Rob, yup we got it done. I sent a reply to the other poster, will see can I dig that out and forward it on. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speri_mental

Hi all, sorry to dig up an old post but hopefully someone here can help.

Did anyone end up successfully getting their little ones sorted up north? My 5 year old is on the public waitlist for an ent consultation (republic), that will take at least a year to get. Then potentially another 1-2 years before any surgeries can happen.

I got in touch with Kingsbridge and they were very Informative. There was no mention about children under 14 not being eligible though.

Any first hand experiences? Thanks, I hope all your kiddos are doing great now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement