Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to New York

Options
  • 07-03-2019 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi Folks, have the opportunity to move to New York with work, they'll look after Visa, accommodation etc but just wondering if anyone has any tips before I move over.

Pros/cons, general tips etc about living there. I have been to New York before and loved it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bsaed on what rent your employer is prepared to pay, do you have any idea whereabouts in NYC will you live? You'd need to give a general indication of location in order to get appropriate advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I have to have more discussions basically paying three months for me and deposit and said max rent was 1200 dollars I’m willing to pay. So open to good areas or where to love for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Medical Insurance. Full stop. If that isn't in the mix forget it. But maybe it is.

Is the 1,200 what YOU have to pay for accommodation and they will pay the rest? I am not sure from your post.

Medical Insurance. Full stop. If that isn't in the mix forget it. But maybe it is.

Is the 1,200 what YOU have to pay for accommodation and they will pay the rest? I am not sure from your post.

They will pay deposit and first three months rent. They will organize accommodation for me before I’m over. I then pay the rent after the three months.

Yes medical insurance is paid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Where, exactly, in NY? NY City? You're living in a box under a highway ramp for $1200/month. It's crazy expensive. If they stick you in NJ or out in Long Island, you'll have a LOONG commute (couple hours each way every day.)

Details will help us make recommendations.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Where, exactly, in NY? NY City? You're living in a box under a highway ramp for $1200/month. It's crazy expensive. If they stick you in NJ or out in Long Island, you'll have a LOONG commute (couple hours each way every day.)

Details will help us make recommendations.

It’s Brooklyn, researching myself now the price of accom, feck not looking good, may start negotiating for them to pay half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

upinsmoke wrote: »
    They will pay deposit and first three months rent. They will organize accommodation for me before I’m over. I then pay the rent after the three months.

Yes medical insurance is paid

Research the plan they are offering. You may find you have to contribute to it monthly as well as having high deductibles and/or only a certain percentage covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brooklyn isn't small. If you are working in Manhattan, but commuting from Brooklyn, it will be slow on very crowded subways (costing $2.75 per ride each way, so a 5 day work week, expect that as a minimum commuting expense. ) Owning a car is possible, but extremely costly (insurance, and good luck if you have to use a parking garage, hundreds per month additional). One can exist in NYC without one. Getting away on weekends is difficult without one, hours of train ride or worse, buses.

Food and drink - well, look around. Last I remember,cocktails at bars were like $25/each, beers around $10. Museum entry fees around $25.

Concerts, shows... hundreds usually, unless somehow you can avail yourself of the 'discount' offers, which aren't nearly as good as they once were.

And, don't forget, you'll be liable for state, city and federal taxes when you live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Food and drink - well, look around. Last I remember,cocktails at bars were like $25/each, beers around $10. Museum entry fees around $25.

Concerts, shows... hundreds usually, unless somehow you can avail yourself of the 'discount' offers, which aren't nearly as good as they once were.

You must have been going to some very expensive bars.

Standard for cocktails is $10-15 and beers between $5-10 depending. Most of the good museums are pay what you like so you can get in for legit $1.

Obviously depends on the demand of who you're going to see but anything in Brooklyn concerts wise would rarely be over $50. Big broadway shows can be a couple of hundred but plenty of them can be seen for $50-100-ish. Loads of cheap sports to go to too. Can see the Mets for legit $6, Nets for $25-ish on the right nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Leaving aside accommodation costs.

Tips and sales taxes + commuting costs are savage too.

OP, do your research and try as best you can to ensure that your contract for NY is good for YOU, not the company. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

It’s Brooklyn, researching myself now the price of accom, feck not looking good, may start negotiating for them to pay half

Brooklyn is the new Manhattan. Getting super expensive to live in Brooklyn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You wouldn't get a dog kennel in any of the boroughs for 1200 a months and I'm deadly serious about that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I have to have more discussions basically paying three months for me and deposit and said max rent was 1200 dollars I’m willing to pay. So open to good areas or where to love for that price
    Ask relocating employer for suggestions. What's happened with other relocating past employees? Pros & cons? Is there an employee bulletin board that posts vacancies to share apartments with them? $1200 in NY is not much, but sharing can bring good places within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

shamrock55 wrote: »
    You wouldn't get a dog kennel in any of the boroughs for 1200 a months and I'm deadly serious about that

But in Friends, people in and out of casual employment easily afford large loft apartments in Manhattan. Are you suggesting this was somehow misleading???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OP, not trying to be condescending or anything here but you seem very ill prepared for what will be a massive move and change in lifestyle.

Even the mention of $1200 for accommodation without first researching prices yourself has the typical Irish smell of 'ah shure it'll be grand' off it.

Tbh unless you have a frank discussion about the accommodation and as others have mentioned health insurance with your employers then in your shoes I'd be saying absolutely no way to the opportunity.

And that's before you adjust to the cost of living for NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Op are you healthy ?

If so don't get too hung up about the medal insurance side of things.

If the company pay it great, don't let worries about deductibles etc cloud your decision.

Accommodation and commute are far more important factors to base your decision on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Op are you healthy ?

If the company pay it great, don't let worries about deductibles etc cloud your decision.

Accommodation and commute are far more important factors to base your decision on.

Until they are hit with appendicitis or a hernia or a broken bone. Daft advice in America where healthcare is ruled by the dollar not patient welfare.

Have a look at the Irish areas, you may be able to find a place to share with Irish people and will quickly be able to gain a social circle and support network.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I take it that if you are moving over here, you will be paid a local salary and not what you are getting in Ireland and converted to dollars.

If they do try this, stay where you are. It won't just be the rent that you'll struggle with. NYC is a very expensive city to live in and the cost of living in Ireland is not comparable. Being honest, you would want to be earning at least $80,000 to have a chance of living on your own. Obviously sharing with someone will lower your costs.

Sit down and have a chat with your company and see what package they are proposing. As noted, make sure medical insurance is included in addition to paying you a proper NYC salary.

Check out Streeteasy to see the cost and standard of apartments in the area where you want to live. It will help you understand what you will need to earn in order to live here. The fact your company are paying your first three months will be a big help. As you have no credit score here, a potential landlord could ask you to pay this up front. Also remember, apartments here are primarily unfurnished, so you will need to factor the costs of furniture into any budget.

The only way it could be worth struggling for a couple of years at a reduced salary is if there was a path to a green card. I guess since it is a move within a company you will be traveling over on a L1. Again you need to research this and make sure you apply for the right visa that allows progressing to a green card.

With regards a car, unless you need one for work, you do not need one. You can rent cars by the hour (enterprise car share, zip cars) or normal daily rentals for whenever you may need one. For the subway, if you are travelling on it daily, buy a monthly pass (~$100).

As noted above, every sort of lease, bank loan, credit card is tied to your credit score. You will want to get working on this asap. To help, you will need to get a secured credit card. This is where you cover the limit of the card i.e. you give the bank $500 and they give you a card with a $500 limit. Use this for every payment you make and clear it asap. Within 6 months, they should give you a proper credit card and your cash back. I know Bank of America do them, but you can research other banks.

Until they are hit with appendicitis or a hernia or a broken bone. Daft advice in America where healthcare is ruled by the dollar not patient welfare.

Have a look at the Irish areas, you may be able to find a place to share with Irish people and will quickly be able to gain a social circle and support network.

The OP already indicated that the employer offers a health plan.

Thus health insurance should not be as big a priority as housing, commute etc.

Hi folks yea it's nearly 60 percent more on what I'm on in Ireland and after a discussion today there going to subsidise 50 per cent of the rent after the three months. Any idea how this would work and taxes?

I'm happy with that after doing more research. I'm getting health insurance as well but not 100 per cent which package yet

• Advertisement

Hi folks yea it's nearly 60 percent more on what I'm on in Ireland and after a discussion today there going to subsidise 50 per cent of the rent after the three months. Any idea how this would work and taxes?

I'm happy with that after doing more research. I'm getting health insurance as well but not 100 per cent which package yet

Go for it OP

Getting a chance to live and work in the US is a great opportunity.

And if it doesn't work out you can always come back to Ireland.

The OP already indicated that the employer offers a health plan.

The details of the plan are important though. An example I know of is someone who pays $150 every 2 weeks (he gets paid every 2 weeks) to cover this family, even then he has to pay 100% of the first $7000 every year and then he is only covered 90%. One serious illness has potential to eat into any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Op are you healthy ?

that's terrible advice - make sure the plan is a decent one. Don't be casual about it.

They should be able to tell you this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If they stick you in NJ or out in Long Island, you'll have a LOONG commute (couple hours each way every day.)

Not necessarily. I'd a friend living in Jersey City and it didn't take long to get into Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Effects wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I'd a friend living in Jersey City and it didn't take long to get into Manhattan.

20 mins on the PATH to the heart of Manhattan. Living in Jersey City is probably easier than most parts of Brooklyn.

Lot of classic Irish pessimism in this thread. OP should definitely go for it. One of those once in a lifetime things that you'd only regret not doing. Worst case scenario you come home.

Go for it OP

Getting a chance to live and work in the US is a great opportunity.

And if it doesn't work out you can always come back to Ireland.

Single and no commitments here, currently renting. Friendly with a few over there as well who said they'll bring me out for pints with their crew.

Can't wait now. Just have to dwell out the finer details now but financially it's A good package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Health Insurance is vital. Make sure it’s good with a low deductible. Mine is 250 and it still costs money.

If you are on an L1 visa remember you cannot borrow, so you better save like crazy for the first few months. Always have a back up amount of cash in the States in case something happens and you need to get home quick.

Credit Card is a must, loads of them available and lots of them have perks.pay it on time everything to get a credit score,

Get a drivers license much easier to use for travel, best form of ID.

DO IT... experience this odd country with weird and wonderful people in the best city in the world. Just please don’t spend all your time in the Irish bars... Jesus they can be depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I went to the US on a three years assignment with my company. The questions you need to ask are:
    • Will they provide someone to do your taxes for you? This can actually help the company too since they can pay your salary in Ireland and pay expenses in the US and make it more financially efficient for them.
    • You said they are providing a health plan. Will they also provide dental coverage? This was the one that got me - my daughter fell off her bicycle and I had to pay almost €5000 out of my own pocket.
    • What about transport? You won't be able to get a loan so will they provide a car? Public transport in NY is pretty good, but you'll want to see a lot more of the country.
    • Will you be on US or Irish vacation allowance? The law in the US is that you can take 2 weeks but the company doesn't have to pay. Many Americans don't take that 2 weeks even when it is paid.

You didn't mention if this is a permanent or temporary gig. Assuming it's a fixed term thing:
    • Assume you're going to buy a load of stuff while you're there. Presumably they'll ship your stuff over there - will they ship stuff back too when you come back.
    • Will they fly you home occasionally?
    • I suspect you're going for an L1 visa. If you decide to stay will they sponsor you for a green card?

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Lot of classic Irish pessimism in this thread. OP should definitely go for it. One of those once in a lifetime things that you'd only regret not doing. Worst case scenario you come home.

I would say that it's closer to realism. The company only offering 1200 in rent per month for the first 3 months in NYC is a red flag - I know loads of people who relocated on L1 visa and one-to-three months fully paid in furnished apartment is the norm. If they are skimping on that then it's fair to at least ask about the rest of the package. No point in moving overseas unless you can afford to enjoy yourself.

Also the worst case scenario is the company makes you sign a contract where they have a clause that allows them the claw back any relocation expenses if you leave within a certain period of time - that could leave you very stuck if you can't make a go of it.

Advertisement