Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if a pension company goes bankrupt

• 07-03-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I've a private sector defined contribution pension that I've been paying in to for several years.

I understand if the company I work for goes under my pension is safe still as contributions have been paid over already.

However, I'm wondering what the impact is if the pension company went under as unlikely as that may be.

From searching online I found the UK position on this https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/protection-for-your-pension

I'm assuming its something similar in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Investor compensation scheme benefits would apply.

https://www.investorcompensation.ie/

I think it's 90% of any loss up to a maximum payment of €90k.

The above is incorrect, you should delete it and find out what would actually happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I've a private sector defined contribution pension that I've been paying in to for several years.

I understand if the company I work for goes under my pension is safe still as contributions have been paid over already.

However, I'm wondering what the impact is if the pension company went under as unlikely as that may be.

From searching online I found the UK position on this https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/protection-for-your-pension

I'm assuming its something similar in Ireland?

Your pension fund assets are separate from the Pension Company.
    If the Pension company goes bankrupt the creditors have no legal claim on the fund assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Investor compensation scheme benefits would apply.

https://www.investorcompensation.ie/

I think it's 90% of any loss up to a maximum payment of €90k.

This post should be deleted as it was posted by someone without a clue.

Welcome to boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The pension fund is separate from the company's assets. The funds are sitting in a trust kept totally separate from the company. The company can not get at the pensions funds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ANXIOUS wrote:
    The above is incorrect, you should delete it and find out what would actually happen.

I believe it is correct.

What do you believe might happen if an insurer or other pension provider went bust?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same question to you. What would happen in the event of the pension provider defaulting?

I believe it is correct.

What do you believe might happen if an insurer or other pension provider went bust?

I've no interest in correcting you, the only reason I replied and reported the post is because it's so incorrect it could cause panic if people Google this query and get your incorrect reply.

You linked to the investor Compensation company, which was set up under the Investor Compensation Act 1998.

If you'd like to understand how wrong you are read the Act and the only two mentions of pensions or retirement funds is that they are excluded.

After reading this please edit your post.

This place is for discussion isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I've no interest in correcting you, the only reason I replied and reported the post is because it's so incorrect it could cause panic if people Google this query and get your incorrect reply.

You linked to the investor Compensation company, which was set up under the Investor Compensation Act 1998.

If you'd like to understand how wrong you are read the Act and the only two mentions of pensions or retirement funds is that they are excluded.

After reading this please edit your post.

I would like to know what the actual position is please and thank you. Without any smart answers if you wouldn't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I would like to know what the actual position is please and thank you. Without any smart answers if you wouldn't mind.

Then, instead of asking on a site where any half-witted eejit can post whatever gibberish they wish, why not ask the experts?

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/

This place is for discussion isn't it?

It is a place for discussion, but you've put across incorrect information as fact rather than saying you don't know.

In terms of an occupational DC pension scheme?

It is a place for discussion, but you've put across incorrect information as fact rather than saying you don't know.

I said it was my understanding/view. I'm not a god however and have been known to be incorrect the odd time.

If you have a contrary view please say what it is.

Squatter wrote: »
    Then, instead of asking on a site where any half-witted eejit can post whatever gibberish they wish, why not ask the experts?

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/

There's nothing on that regarding "default" or "compensation".

I will chase this up tomorrow and provide a better qualified answer.

I believe it is correct.

A company dc scheme is not similar to either of the aforementioned examples.

I'll reiterate my point - a pension scheme is held in a trust which is kept totally separate from the company's assets. This is the answer, there is no discussion to be had on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

dulux99 wrote: »

I'll reiterate my point - a pension scheme is held in a trust which is kept totally separate from the company's assets. This is the answer, there is no discussion to be had on the matter.

Ok how do you access your pension if your point of contact or pension company no longer exist?

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    Ok how do you access your pension if your point of contact or pension company no longer exist?

The trustees of the scheme have an obligation to get in touch with all members or they face prosecution. They'll typically enlist the services of a professional pension consultancy firm in this case and organise for everyone to be set up with personal policies with Irish life etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

What happens if your pension is an insurance contract with one of the insurance companies? I thought these contracts are kept on balance sheet so if the insurance company went bust your pension would go with them?

I said it was my understanding/view. I'm not a god however and have been known to be incorrect the odd time.

If you have a contrary view please say what it is.

No you didn't you literally said "Investor compensation scheme benefits would apply."

Shocking that a so called professional would spout this type of scare mongering.

• Advertisement

Nice burn 😂

There's nothing on that regarding "default" or "compensation".

I will chase this up tomorrow and provide a better qualified answer.

Any closer to the better qualified answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

In terms of an occupational DC pension scheme?

Yes

Any closer to the better qualified answer?

Yep.

I'll post my qualified view after you post yours :D

Yep.

I'll post my qualified view after you post yours :D

Now that you know you're wrong can you please delete the incorrect information you've posted and I'll edit them from my replies?

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Now that you know you're wrong can you please delete the incorrect information you've posted and I'll edit them from my replies?

Please stop trying to back seat mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

'No discussion' you say! What about we discuss the late Robert Maxwell and how he plundered the assets of his companies' pension funds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Please stop trying to back seat mod.

He is right though. What you have posted is dangerous. You are not even wrong. You are horribly, horribly wrong. A one handed face palm is not even enough. Two hands are needed. It's at times like this I am extremely fearful of the control Google has. Everyone seems to think they are an expert if they have access to Google. You are so horribly wrong it doesn't even bare attempting to explain it to you. Just know that if you haven't a clue what you are talking about, you shouldn't post so vociferously. I wouldn't do it for areas I'm clueless in, and others wouldn't either.

You are way wide of the mark.

It's not "dangerous". Don't be silly.

• Advertisement

It's not "dangerous". Don't be silly.

Can you not see the danger of posting incorrect information? You say you've the answer, so just correct what you've previously said.

Could cause people a lot of undue stress if they see your answer rather than the correct answer.

Advertisement