Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Manager unfairly cutting hours

Options
  • 07-03-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Looking for some advice
    I work in a busy hotel restaurant and have done so for the last 6 years, on a part time weekend basis for the last 5 as I am in college.
    We recently got a new manager.
    In the 2 months he has been here 2 staff have left as a result of him cutting their hours to 0. These staff were weekend staff too and would usually have got 12 hours a week.
    The hours for the rest of the weekend staff weren’t as bad but were still cut to a less than half what we would normally be getting. This is expected in January when the industry is quiet but went on in February and into March too.
    This week our roster for next week was posted and there was a new staff member listed who has received 24 hours, while 3 highly experienced stuff who have worked in the hotel years (myself included) got 7 hours each.
    I have no problem with hiring new staff as we needed to replace the ones we had lost but not at a loss of hours for the original staff.
    I just wanted to know what we can do with this as we just don’t think it’s fair...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Have you tried talking to him?
    a new staff member listed who has received 24 hours, while 3 highly experienced stuff who have worked in the hotel years (myself included) got 7 hours each

That seems clearly like he's messing up doing the roster.

If he states it's not a mistake, then it appears like they're trying to get rid of the old staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Possibly a cost cutting measure giving cheaper staff more hours. Maybe some behaviour in existing staff that’s not popular.

One thing to think about. Managers rarely come into a business and go off on such a solo run. More often than not they are specifically tasked with something like this because they are new and have no alliances to existing staff. “New broom sweeps clean” and all that. So this may be a directive from above that new manager and they are doing what they have been hired to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

is it possible the new hires are on less pay?

because that's what hotels do. there's no loyalty. awful places to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some new laws about this sort of thing came in to force last week.

Among other things, zero hour contracts are mostly illegal ( there are exceptions though).

The full description of them is here: https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/news-media/Workplace_Relations_Notices/Employment_Misc_Provisions_Act_2018.html

There's an easier to read summary here: https://www.staff-wanted.net/2019/03/employment-laws-ireland-zero-banded-hours-contracts-guaranteed-minimum-pay.html

I think what you need to do is formally request that your contract be changed to reflect your actual hours over the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Could the new staff be related to the new manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Happened me before. And a new manager came in and we all got fired because the 'new team' were taking over.

Id pull him on it before he tries to sack you!

Do you have any contract?

Advertisement