Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Greystones

Options
  • 08-03-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I have to rent in the area from August. The prices are insane. Are people really paying 2 thousand plus a month? What are peoples experiences of renting? We are buying a house in Seagreen but it wont be ready till early next year so have to rent until ready. Any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is where the market is at. You are right it is insane. Yes, people are paying those crazy rents.

No tips, sorry. All you can do is look at renting somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Yes the rental prices are insane. How long will you need to rent for? I guess try to rent in the smallest/cheapest space possible in the interim, if you can hack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Yes the rental prices are insane. How long will you need to rent for? I guess try to rent in the smallest/cheapest space possible in the interim, if you can hack it.

I'd say about 6 months. Ughhh, the thought of hacking it. 2 kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

where are you currently living? could you rent in a cheaper location until the house is ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

We were in an identical situation this time last year, and while we might have been lucky in our timing, we did manage to find something for 4 months. It wasn’t ideal at all (quite small, and we’ve two small kids), but it was central and we knew it was temporary. Plus we were coming from Dublin so were used to getting fleeced on rent. In relative terms, we were paying less, so we didn’t feel it as much, although at €1,400 it was still a fair bit. This may not be much help, but all I would say is keep your eyes peeled (we pounced when we saw ours) and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, if you do settle for something less than ideal (which is, unfortunately, likely).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    where are you currently living? could you rent in a cheaper location until the house is ready?

Kids just got accepted into St Patrick's so we need to be dead centre. Both my wife and myself work in Dublin, need the DART

We were in an identical situation this time last year, and while we might have been lucky in our timing, we did manage to find something for 4 months. It wasn’t ideal at all (quite small, and we’ve two small kids), but it was central and we knew it was temporary. Plus we were coming from Dublin so were used to getting fleeced on rent. In relative terms, we were paying less, so we didn’t feel it as much, although at €1,400 it was still a fair bit. This may not be much help, but all I would say is keep your eyes peeled (we pounced when we saw ours) and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, if you do settle for something less than ideal (which is, unfortunately, likely).

1400 is still half what I'm seeing at the moment. I'll keep the eyes peeled like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

10 minute or so drive (you'd be going against the traffic to Greystones).

https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-for-rent/bray/saran-wood-bray-wicklow-1919213/

@markest and @loyatemu thanks guys. The plan is to move out in June. I'm selling my house now and will move out in June. I'll keep an eye out around then. Also, bit of a head melt as I dont actually know when the houses will be 100% ready in Seagreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would suggest to keep an eye on the second hand market which is a little slow here at the moment. Most buyers are opting for new properties. When your time comes, somebody waiting to sell might be prepared to take a short term let. No harm in trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭REFLINE1

Cluster wrote: »
    @markest and @loyatemu thanks guys. The plan is to move out in June. I'm selling my house now and will move out in June. I'll keep an eye out around then. Also, bit of a head melt as I dont actually know when the houses will be 100% ready in Seagreen.

Just add circa 6 months to what you are being told by the EA/Woods and you wont be far off.

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Just add circa 6 months to what you are being told by the EA/Woods and you wont be far off.

I've heard that alright. Eeeeeekkkkkk

Advertisement