Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car bonnet broken during NCT

• 08-03-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I had my NCT last night, I was watching the car going through and he had trouble closing the bonnet after his checks.

Came outside and he told me I had a dangerous fail because the lid wouldn't close. While I couldn't drive it away, I'm getting it fixed today and it should go back for a visual.

Two things I wasn't pleased about:

1. The guy barely wanted to talk to me - "sorry pal, I don't make the rules". I'd shudder to think what someone like my mother would deal with the situation!

2. My car went in fine, and broke when the tester was slamming the bonnet shut. Is there any potential redress for these guys being heavy handed with your car?

Has anyone had satisfaction from complaining to the NCT people, or is this a fools errand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hardybuck wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I had my NCT last night, I was watching the car going through and he had trouble closing the bonnet after his checks.

Came outside and he told me I had a dangerous fail because the lid wouldn't close. While I couldn't drive it away, I'm getting it fixed today and it should go back for a visual.

1. The guy barely wanted to talk to me - "sorry pal, I don't make the rules". I'd shudder to think what someone like my mother would deal with the situation!

2. My car went in fine, and broke when the tester was slamming the bonnet shut. Is there any potential redress for these guys being heavy handed with your car?

Has anyone had satisfaction from complaining to the NCT people, or is this a fools errand?

It shouldn’t break like that. It was not fine going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

A bonnet should close without any trouble, if someone who closes 100's of bonnets a week is struggling I would think there was some underlying problem.
    In what way is it broken, latch, hinge?
    Had you had any issues with it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

One of the lads took my brother's ABS sensor off with a crowbar or something a few years ago, claimed it was like that when it arrived. No joy even with a statement from his mechanic that it was all fine when servicing it the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

cruizer101 wrote: »
    A bonnet should close without any trouble, if someone who closes 100's of bonnets a week is struggling I would think there was some underlying problem.
    In what way is it broken, latch, hinge?
    Had you had any issues with it before?

The guy who did the test said it's not uncommon, and the first thing the tow truck chap said was that he'd picked up a few cars at that particular test centre with that issue. It's a VW Golf, and he also said he'd seen a few of those with the issue also.

I'm not sure if it is the latch or the hinge, but when we got a bit of WD40 in there the latch wouldn't stay shut, kept popping back open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

TheChizler wrote: »
    One of the lads took my brother's ABS sensor off with a crowbar or something a few years ago, claimed it was like that when it arrived. No joy even with a statement from his mechanic that it was all fine when servicing it the day before.

An NCT tester?? Did he say why he removed the ABS sensor with a crowbar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..It's a VW Golf, and he also said he'd seen a few of those with the issue also....
    My mechanic heavily greases the one on my Golf at each service. he says that it's a problem with them. Hardly the fault of the NCT staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Happened me last year. I fitted a new latch myself and removed the old one which was a fiddly but reasonably straight forward job. Due to the location of them they do get gummed up and seize with dirt quite easily. Even soaking my old one in carb cleaner and re greasing it over night failed to fix the latch. Unfortunate but quite a common fault. I do think the fail dangerous is a little bit over zealous as most bonnets have a secondary latch to secure them but then again if it flew open as you drove it would be fairly catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Issue was present before you went in. Sorry OP, but at least it's only a visual. My last NCT the power steering pump failed between me parking and the NCT test ending. The tester was super sound, came out to the car with me and even had a look under the bonnet to try and diagnose the problem. The pulley shaft sheered going over the bump into the test centre. Pure coincidence and would have broke later that day if it hadn't done so then. These things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Bonnet latches failing are a popular issue on those Golfs, even more popular a fail on bonnets that aren't opened for a long time, then when you do get them open them they wont shut again.

It's a faulty bonnet latch on your car, he didn't break it, he just used it and it failed in use.

The fail dangerous is an embarrassing one to get and some testers personalities are less than ideal when handing it over but sure it is what it is unfortunately.

I take the point that these things happen, and will note the feedback for future reference regarding greasing the latch etc. - this might prevent future problems. I'll go back for a visual shortly and move on.

However, I do think it's a bit rich to say that because it broke during the test, the issue must have been there before you came in, and the fault lies with you. This seems to be the logic coming through from some posters.

If this is the attitude the NCT take, I think this could set a dangerous precedent for the testers to do whatever they like and completely avoid any liability for anything they do in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I take the point that these things happen, and will note the feedback for future reference regarding greasing the latch etc. - this might prevent future problems. I'll go back for a visual shortly and move on.

However, I do think it's a bit rich to say that because it broke during the test, the issue must have been there before you came in, and the fault lies with you. This seems to be the logic coming through from some posters.

If this is the attitude the NCT take, I think this could set a dangerous precedent for the testers to do whatever they like and completely avoid any liability for anything they do in there.

But it exist before you went in, it just manifested itself as part of the test.

This reminds me of one of a set of typical conversations with my Ex. Everything has to be somebody's "fault", usually mine. :pac::pac::pac:

Shit happens, excrement instantiates and manifests, machines break, the sun rises the sun sets the Sun crashes, Yamahas burn oil. :D

Yeah, we should probably leave this one off, I've definitely taken some advice regarding the specifics of the issue that I'll watch in future.

I'll remember this if I break anything in future - the fault was already there and it just happened to manifest itself as I was using it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

You had to get a truck to collect it? Cos of a bonnet latch?

Couldn't they tie it closed or summat temporarily so you could drive it to the mechanics?

You had to get a truck to collect it? Cos of a bonnet latch?

Couldn't they tie it closed or summat temporarily so you could drive it to the mechanics?

The chap read through a list of bullet points. One of them was if I was stopped I'd get a good few penalty points and a fine, or if I informed them I was planning on driving it they might ring the Gardai I think.

Either way it was dangerous as the lid could have popped up. I rang my insurer who sent a tow truck. Bonnet latch was €90 for the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The same thing happened to me... I managed to close it after about 10 minutes fiddling and WD40.

Would never have thought to call insurer for tow. You were lucky you had rescue cover!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me... I managed to close it after about 10 minutes fiddling and WD40.

Would never have thought to call insurer for tow. You were lucky you had rescue cover!

The tow truck guy fiddled around with WD40 and a screwdriver for a few minutes, and initially thought that would resolve it, but the part was broken.

I was hoping we could resolve it there and get the visual done, but no joy.

It's a great extra to have on your insurance, and lucky to have it as it was 8.45 at night and a few miles from home. I think VW are offering it now with their services also.

The two truck guy fiddled around with WD40 and a screwdriver for a few minutes, and initially thought that would resolve it, but the part was broken.

I was hoping we could resolve it there and get the visual done, but no joy.

It's a great extra to have on your insurance, and lucky to have it as it was 8.45 at night and a few miles from home. I think VW are offering it now with their services also.

So you had a failing part, which actually failed during the NCT, allowed the NCT operator to immediately make you get it fixed
    Vs
    The latch failing next time you opened your bonnet, you forcing it closed, driving at speed, and the bonnet flying up

You are giving out that this guy happened to be the one at the wheel when the part inevitability failed, potentially saving your (and passengers) life??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My mechanic heavily greases the one on my Golf at each service. he says that it's a problem with them. Hardly the fault of the NCT staff.

With any car, the bonnet catch should not be treated as a maintenance-free item - they need lubrication. I've heard of a few cases of Megane (mid-2000s) bonnets opening at high speed because of neglect too. It can be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah off course they did because that's what they do, pull parts of peoples cars for fun. Quit making up rubbish just for the sake of having something to say :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

wrote:
    Bonnet latches failing are a popular issue on those Golfs
    All Golfs??

jimgoose wrote: »
    An NCT tester?? Did he say why he removed the ABS sensor with a crowbar?
    Took off as in knocked off, not removed. He saw the tester jiggling or poking the suspension with something when it was up on the lift, car failed for something to do with ABS, brought it back to the mechanic the next day who wrote a letter saying it wasn't like that two days previously. Made an official complaint but the NCT denied responsibility. I imagine they'll say the same thing in the OP's case unfortunately.
    Yeah off course they did because that's what they do, pull parts of peoples cars for fun. Quit making up rubbish just for the sake of having something to say :rolleyes:

Not making anything up, sorry to disappoint.

You said neither, what you said was "took my brother's ABS sensor off with a crowbar or something".
    Updated my post while you were writing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi folks,

if it broke during the test - then it wasn't in good shape

Took off as in knocked off, not removed. He saw the tester jiggling or poking the suspension with something when it was up on the lift, car failed for something to do with ABS, brought it back to the mechanic the next day who wrote a letter saying it wasn't like that two days previously. Made an official complaint but the NCT denied responsibility. I imagine they'll say the same thing in the OP's case unfortunately...

Ah, I understand. Divided by common language, and all that - sorry. :D

So you had a failing part, which actually failed during the NCT, allowed the NCT operator to immediately make you get it fixed
    Vs
    The latch failing next time you opened your bonnet, you forcing it closed, driving at speed, and the bonnet flying up

You are giving out that this guy happened to be the one at the wheel when the part inevitability failed, potentially saving your (and passengers) life??

I accept that the fault may indeed have been there already. To apply logic, all parts are failing until they actually fail. Wear and tear may indeed have caused it and it may have broken later anyway.

However, to say that the fault simply couldn't have been the tester's because it happened during the test is absolutely bonkers in my opinion. I know others have been complaining about how they rev their motors etc. for example. I would just be concerned if they have a carte blanche to walk away from any liability that you'll get rogues who nearly try and break stuff and say they're doing us a favour.

If you're talking about scenarios, I have a friend who is an absolute klutz. He regularly breaks things. He broke the handle on someone's door recently that was perfectly fine before he touched it. He'd find a way to brake a window hinge opening a window, the guy is just awkward and breaks things. Please God he never gets a job in as a NCT tester because we'll all be f***** and it'll be our fault!

Anyway, I've found (most) of this thread useful as it would indeed appear to be a fools errand to make any further complaints about this - absorb and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

OP, .. how often did you open/close the bonnet prior to the NCT?

Be honest

mikeecho wrote: »
    OP, .. how often did you open/close the bonnet prior to the NCT?

Be honest

Probably twice a year. Annual service, and to check/top up fluids like screenwash. Slightly below average mileage.

Ah, I understand. Divided by common language, and all that - sorry. :D
    :) I guess I'm trying to say that without objective proof NCTS won't entertain something like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

chinwag wrote: »
    All Golfs??

"All" is a bit broad but you certainly see it on occasion in Golf mk5 and 6.

The chap read through a list of bullet points. One of them was if I was stopped I'd get a good few penalty points and a fine, or if I informed them I was planning on driving it they might ring the Gardai I think. Either way it was dangerous as the lid could have popped up. I rang my insurer who sent a tow truck. Bonnet latch was €90 for the part.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. to say that the fault simply couldn't have been the tester's because it happened during the test is absolutely bonkers....
    How is it bonkers? He has to open and close the bonnet for testing. Parts which open and close should be able to put up with a certain amount of normal wear and tear. If a door handle broke away during the test, would you blame him also.

I'm open to correction but don't you sign a form prior to the NCT consenting to parts being subject to testing. Perhaps I'm confusing it with the DOE where they rev the shit out of commercial engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

With any car, the bonnet catch should not be treated as a maintenance-free item - they need lubrication. I've heard of a few cases of Megane (mid-2000s) bonnets opening at high speed because of neglect too. It can be dangerous.

Must check my Mégane this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can personally confirm that nct testers can be absolute moneys and break perfectly functioning items.

My story:
    Took my car for its first test. Owned from new and rear not sat in 3 times.
    Anyway failed nct as seat belt wouldn't click into latch. Fair enough. I stupidly had not checked belt function before going in.
    Anyway I found a foreign object in the mechanism and all was well.
    Returned to centre, random tester comes out to check, he grabs the belt on the real, pulls it out to full extension and jerks it. He jammed the belt at the full extension position then threw the fail sheet at me and walked away. I told him that was not even the issue previously but he kept walking.
    This was a perfectly functioning belt that failed due to being abused at full extension. This rear seat belt was touching the steering wheel after he was finished with it.
    Has to strip the whole rear interior to get at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How does someone possibly damage a bonnet closure mechanism, unless it was previously damaged/in poor repair.

Looks like the NCT found a problem you weren't aware of.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about scenarios, I have a friend who is an absolute klutz. He regularly breaks things. He broke the handle on someone's door recently that was perfectly fine before he touched it. He'd find a way to brake a window hinge opening a window, the guy is just awkward and breaks things. Please God he never gets a job in as a NCT tester because we'll all be f***** and it'll be our fault!

There really are people like that. I also have a friend who fits your description. You could have something functioning perfectly since new but you just know if he gets his hands on it he'll break it.

I’ve never heard anyone get hassle after driving away after a dangerous fail. I certainly wouldn’t be paying for it to be taken away anyway that’s for damn sure. Especially going by their definition of “dangerous”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Watched a tester close a rear hatchback door on a focus RS only for the glass to shatter!

Owner was standing beside me and was rightly worked up!

It looked like the non-oem parcel shelf speakers might have had minimal clearance and when the tester closed it he was not gentle about it .....

Advertisement