Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

5uspect wrote: »
    That was close, what a tool.

Yeah that was bad alright. I'm so conditioned to bad passes from both here and Twitter but that one made me wince.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Effects wrote: »
    I prefer if drivers don't deliberately break lights, regardless of whether they end up blocking a junction or not.

Are you on drugs? If I decide I don't want to wait at red lights in my car, and just drive though them instead, do you think the Gardai will accept my excuse that it's dangerous for me to stop because I don't want to?

Very simple 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can say what you like I never said the driver was right. All I did was point out the initial complaint about the driver was not acknowledging that green didn't mean go and the cyclists should have waited. If you think that is crazy we simply disagree.

I have seen many a cyclist go through lights much later and if a car went on about the light being green for them they would equally be in the wrong. It isn't them and us with cars and bikes it is rule breakers and those that don't.

People complain about lack or lights and breaking red lights by cyclists and they are right it is a problem. I don't say it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Look at the reluctance to use technology for traffic offences. How in 2020 are people only caught in driving in bus lanes if a Garda happens to be driving past or posted there 1 day a month as a token exercise. If ANPR cameras were implemented cars driving in bus lanes would cease immediately, but there is no appetite to do this. Same with taking complaints from cyclists, no interest in using technology unfortunately. And it isn't the fault of the Garda, it comes from far higher up.
    buffalo wrote: »
    Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

I haven't heard anything from either of them since end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Travelling at about 37km/h between the two bridges at Hazelhatch Co Dublin according to Strava but that wasn't fast enough for this dick (excuse my language in the video).
    Statement made in Leixlip Garda Stn last night so hopefully three points and a fine for their impatience.

That clip really shows the benefit of having front and back cameras.

Rear-facing angle it's hard to see how tight they cut across you. Can kind of see them moving across but not the easiest to make out.

Front angle is pretty definitive and makes it much harder for a guard (or anyone else) to try and dismiss it.

Look at the reluctance to use technology for traffic offences. How in 2020 are people only caught in driving in bus lanes if a Garda happens to be driving past or posted there 1 day a month as a token exercise. If ANPR cameras were implemented cars driving in bus lanes would cease immediately, but there is no appetite to do this. Same with taking complaints from cyclists, no interest in using technology unfortunately. And it isn't the fault of the Garda, it comes from far higher up.

drive in a bus lane, park in a bus stop of stop in a yellow box in London and your fine will be waiting for you by the time you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

I haven't heard anything from either of them since end of October.

I thought I had used every possible variation in handing video to AGS, including CD, DVD, USB, emailed YouTube link, emailed link to Google Drive download and probably a few more - but that's a new one, the Garda taking his own (heavily degraded) video copy on what is probably is own personal device. It's a bit of a nightmare from a corporate data control purposes, so I hope it gets the job done. There is a risk of a case going to Court, and I think they'd need to make the evidence available to the defence beforehand, including the video, so I'm not sure how that would work then.

If you've half an hour spare, have a look at some of the compilation of 2018 reports from CycleGaz (in London)...

https://twitter.com/cyclegaz/status/1225047347635392513

Some hair raisers there, 9 points and court for the bus was a surprise, we know what would happen here :rolleyes:

I did get a laugh from the woman at the start flashing him while behind him, yeah he can see that in his rvm love. :D

I'll watch the rest later.

Aegir wrote: »
    drive in a bus lane, park in a bus stop of stop in a yellow box in London and your fine will be waiting for you by the time you get home.

I heard part of the discussion on SOR this morning around transport and heard priority bus lanes on motorways mentioned for here. We all know what will happen there don't we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Did you want them all to stop in the middle of the junction? This known to happen and yes there is a rule which is stop if it is safe to do so. It was not safe to stop.

Thats on Amber. Which in this country means speed up. Red means do not pass, but if you speed up on Amber you are going to run a red everytime. For a lot of motorists, the first few seconds of red mean keep going.

I fail to understand your thinking or logic on this piece of video.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

6 points and £200 for mobile phone use is saucy, could you imagine if that was here and as easy report, there would be no congestion problems as there would be no one left on the roads.
    Jees, the guy at 26:15 with no front tyre took the biscuit, did well to take the right turn.

On the cycle home this evening, a car had a red light, as mine went green but I knew they were going to continue through. So I stood there and raised my arms.in disbelief. Running a red, a right hand turn, one I mentioned here a few weeks ago where the injuries from a crash under similar circumstances were hard to remember (as in I wish I couldn't). Head was in their phone. It is ****ing disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anybody know who has priority here when the lights are green? Normally I always stop since motorists plough on through when they have a green light but yesterday I was slightly in a world of my own going home and a pretty aggressive motorist was screaming out the window and sitting on the horn. I waved him through but my god there was absolutely no need for that behavior.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anybody know who has priority here when the lights are green? Normally I always stop since motorists plough on through when they have a green light but yesterday I was slightly in a world of my own going home and a pretty aggressive motorist was screaming out the window and sitting on the horn. I waved him through but my god there was absolutely no need for that behavior.

Hmmmmm to me that is T junction not a crossroad and the green is for going left and right not straight on is which an entrance to a car park of the GAA club which crosses a footpath so they must yield to pedestrians and bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Downhill has a give way/ yield - up hill - there is barely even any clue that there is another entrance (the GAA club I think?).. more poorly thought infra!

Presumably there is no indication to the motorists that there is a cycle lane behind the wall. Disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's a difficult one and I don't know what direction you or the driver were coming from.
    However, I would hazard a guess that the people on the footpath/cycle path have priority given the stop line for traffic exiting the side road is behind the paths.

Apologies I should of been clearer, I was travelling westbound ie towards Lidl while the driver was exiting the GAA club.

I've seen pedestrians nearly knocked down by motorists coming from Stonemasons Way who have the green light, its a horrible setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Green, amber and the first 3-5 seconds of red all mean "Get the fu(k outta my way?", no?

Apologies I should of been clearer, I was travelling westbound ie towards Lidl while the driver was exiting the GAA club.

I've seen pedestrians nearly knocked down by motorists coming from Stonemasons Way who have the green light, its a horrible setup.

This is an awful set up. Driver should be more courteous to you and just wait for you to clear. However, it's a general free for all there. Many motorists coming out of the club block the lane.

A good example why on pavement cycling infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Personally, I cycle on the road there and the other side as its so bad and so confusing. Also a lot of left hooks from motorists turning into Lidl and just ignore they are crossing a cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

2 days ago I was heading into Fenagh, sunny day as on the maps, good visibility all around. There was a lad tearing down in his pickup truck from the farm to the main road, intends to cross the gate and do a 90 degree left turn.
    I knew I had to be careful considering his speed and not looking to his right. There was a big brake slamming on both sides as he spotted me approaching (and I knew he might not slow down). I let out an ef you and shook my head without looking at him. That was it, made no drama, no hand shaking, nothing. Then I heard him making the turn onto the main road and while overtaking me, thanked me with crunching gearchange and a pedal to the floor exhaust smoke into my lungs.

Did he want to do a handbrake turn or what? Entering the main road without looking well ahead could be dangerous. What if that cyclist would had been a lorry? Some people just don't care. :-(

Place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Two clips for today yay.

Not serious just though it was funny to see a learner using the opposite lane as a turning lane and blocking an entire Junction.
    https://streamable.com/w02yz

Serious one that had me bracing for an impact. I was taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout and he came straight out of the 2nd exit without looking. https://streamable.com/s7q2b

Not bad for the first day back on the bike after some annual leave from work :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Driver ran a red light I'd suspect. That exit from BSJ had a traffic light controlling it the last time I came out of there or has that been removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

The second one is a little ambiguous. It's a two lane roundabout, so if you're taking the third exit, shouldn't you exit into the right-most lane of your exit? Which allows those taking the same exit - but as their first/second exit - to use the left-most lane of the exit.

That's how I'd treat it while driving, and I'd be prepared for other people to treat it like that while I'm cycling.

The driver in this case wasn't taking that first exit from their side, they were going straight across.

In a car yes staying out in that second lane would be a good option however I would disagree that is a wise move when on a bike. The entire section is uphill and I don't think being out in lane two going slowly with commuting gear would be good for my health.

http://tiny.cc/arwpjz this is the roundabout to see the perspective of the long hill

I presume that he is not properly insured whilst having his missus and the baby in there with him
    You could ask the company about his driving and his insurance status.

http://www.gaswise.ie/contact.html

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kander wrote: »
    Two clips for today yay.

Not serious just though it was funny to see a learner using the opposite lane as a turning lane and blocking an entire Junction.

I've recently seen a spate of non learners, or at least no L plates doing the same type of thing.

Had someone try to take a Left turn from Amiens street onto Seville place too this week. And every so often I see the same as some cretin does it onto Whitworth road coming from Phibsboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Another one today who initially appeared to seem oblivious to having passed me (which them annoyed me).
    The Merc overtook me perfectly along Castleknock Ave. The BMW driver obviously thought he didn't need to be as courteous. He obviously wasn't expecting the ruffian on the bicycle to engage with him.
    (You'll need a swear filter - sorry!)

That's on my commute. It's a nasty stretch and I've been close passed there I'd say hundreds of times at this stage. I'm considering using the side roads on my way to home (riverwood) as that stretch is turning into a real pain in the arse.

Was passing shops this evening and the clown in the last parking space on the left while indicating decides to move off and continue onto the footpath with 2 wheels on it and on coming peds and head beat into the drivers side mirror :eek:

Between me shouting and pointing and the car behind beeping he stops with meters to spare and the peds had a high wall to their right and not the space for him to get by them.

He'd driven about 15-20 meters with 2 wheels on the path, idiot. The look he cut me with I pointed to he people on the path up ahead told me all I needed to know and kept going.

Kander wrote: »
    Two clips for today yay.

I'd have stopped in front of them and waited for them to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

On the two I reported to Traffic Watch got a call back on the second and they're going to track down the driver to get their version, for the first I called the station and it has been transferred to another station and the guard is on leave so I've to give it another week very frustrating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    On the two I reported to Traffic Watch got a call back on the second and they're going to track down the driver to get their version, for the first I called the station and it has been transferred to another station and the guard is on leave so I've to give it another week very frustrating.

For the first, that isn't what is happening, its a startling effective tactic from certain gardai, this will be all you ever hear. Did you ever recieve the very exciting victim impact letter where they give you details on available services.

More of a double WTF that a near miss for me at least. Waiting for a Punto to clear the roundabout and I see the drive of car in the right lane is looking at me at least but then begins to move off into the path of the Punto. The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.

https://streamable.com/h3oid

Fixed it
    More of a double WTF that a near miss for me at least. Waiting for a Punto to clear the roundabout and I see the drive of car in the right lane is looking at me at least but then begins to move off into the path of the Punto. The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.

https://streamable.com/h3oid

• Advertisement

Yeah stupid stuff would of cost them nothing to hold on, that roundabout has been changed recently too it used to be left lane was left only and right was straight ahead so I would try take the center of the right lane so no left hooks but is a free for all now.

Got a call back on the first incident I reported too, guard wants me to give them the footage on a USB key though to continue with it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was making decent progress into a headwind along the grand canal this evening and had a green light to cross west from Hilton hotel over to the Barge Pub. Just as I was about to cross, a car heading outbound towards Ranelagh breezed straight through the red light and over the bridge. Scared the absolute ****e out of me. Had I been there 2 seconds later I’d have been completely taken out. Driver was looking ahead to the green light on the other side of the canal. Probably didn’t even see the light.

burn it to a CD.
    That's a great idea have a ton of those in the back of a press just need to dust off the burner!

Got a call back on the first incident I reported too, guard wants me to give them the footage on a USB key though to continue with it :(

It's a good sign that they're taking it seriously, in fairness.
    tuxy wrote: »

Wouldn't get much video onto a 128 Mb drive. The standard 4 minute clip I save on my Drift Ghost is anything from 350 Mb to 550 Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was making decent progress into a headwind along the grand canal this evening and had a green light to cross west from Hilton hotel over to the Barge Pub. Just as I was about to cross, a car heading outbound towards Ranelagh breezed straight through the red light and over the bridge. Scared the absolute ****e out of me. Had I been there 2 seconds later I’d have been completely taken out. Driver was looking ahead to the green light on the other side of the canal. Probably didn’t even see the light.

Rain on the lens, but just now realising had I not been slightly delayed overtaking the cyclist at the start of the clip, I'd have been T-boned. Good times.

https://streamable.com/g0maj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's Traffic Watch's operating hours? I've been on hold for 30 minutes before being cut off.

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's Traffic Watch's operating hours? I've been on hold for 30 minutes before being cut off.
    Not unusual in my experience - they close at 10pm. I found early morning to be best for getting an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers. Last time I had to ring was about 5 years ago on a Sunday evening and got through handy enough from what I remember. I'll give them a try again tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cheers. Last time I had to ring was about 5 years ago on a Sunday evening and got through handy enough from what I remember. I'll give them a try again tomorrow so.
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I've gotten that attitude before alright. As if because you didn't phone from the scene of the crime while lying prone on the tarmac, it can't have been that bad.

Another time I had had a few incidents over a few weeks, and I wasn't really bothered calling as I've never had any success with reporting to TW/Gardaí. Something spurred me into ringing TW anyway at some point, but they told me they could only take one incident per call, so take my pick. I don't remember which one I picked, but I know I never got a call from the Gardaí about it.

I think I went for the punishment pass for not using the cycle lane on a Sunday morning in an otherwise empty industrial estate:

The other choices were an overtake followed by slamming on the brakes (complete lack of anticipation):

Or the red-light breaking followed by a tiiiiiight pass:

2 and 3 were close ones, i'd have picked 3 myself with the oncoming traffic and squeeze surely as dangerous as they can drive

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not me, but something I witnessed yesterday.

That new bike lane bit near sheriff street (where someone was unfortunately killed a few years ago) yesterday, a cyclist up ahead with their green light.

I noticed the van on the road speeding up, started indicating. Absolutely no way he was going to be ahead of the bike. Came within inches of knocking her off. He had to stop to ensure he didn't hit her.

I didn't have my camera but at the time I told her I had the reg but have since forgotten it.

It was as bad a case of driving I've ever seen, and she was definitely shook by it. I used to turn off into the IFSC just before there, but now I'm across the river so I've some terrible spots like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Really crap day.
    Taxi 1)
    ON the Stillorgan dual-carriage into town after the stupid lights before St Terisians a Taxi driver with a passenger rolls down the window and starts screaming at me "well done", quite weird and scary and then I realised a couple of bikes broke the light and I didnt so he was actually genuinely saying well done in a scary loud and dangerous manner, beggars belief.
    Taxi 2) On the way home just before the Radisson in Stillorgan I put my hand out and overtook a bike, still in the bike lane and another pr1ck Taxi rolls down his window and starts screaming at me a hand doesn't give me right of way. I had to signal aggressively while overtaking to slow him so he was pissed. I was annoyed so told him where to go when he dangerously swerved into me. I saw Garda car that I overtook so started hitting his car to try and get him out, he just said I saw the Garda and drove off.

Really getting p!ssed with the roads and aggression. Unfortunately up to this point I thought Taxis weren't all **** but I no longer care they can all fnck off. Time to lobby for them out of the bus lanes.
    Sorry for the rant but what a crap day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Went 2km to my friend's house last night.

One close pass and nearly two head on collisions caused by drivers trying to overtake me with incoming traffic.

I was nearly sure I was going to be a witness to a head on collision when a van overtook me on a steep high and didn't have enough acceleration to get back on the correct side of the road.

• Advertisement

Gave a statement last night re the Airport Hopper pass and I won't be wasting my time doing that again, took 3 attempts to meet the guard and he didn't even view the footage. Told me he would get a statement from the driver but that it was my word against his and the video might not even be considered and I'll have to go to court for any penalty to be applied. Will see how far it goes if it gets any where. This morning had a stupidly close pass for no reason I was stopped at the lights ahead of the truck got well out in front when they changed and he practically skimmed me outside Leixlip Garda. I caught up with him and in fairness he was immediately apologetic and admitted fault then executed a perfect pass passing the Springfield hotel so thats about the best outcome I can hope for.

Handbrake is a nice tool to compress video gently if you’re stuck, but I’d suggest doing as little to the video as possible.

Yes, I agree on doing nothing to the video. They need to be able to read reg plates and see phone screens etc.
    Steoller wrote: »
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

This is absolute nonsense. There is an issue about having to issue a summons I think within six months of the incident. I've reported incidents to TW from weeks back, and I think once or twice from months back.

This really is obstructive, and is possibly worth taking further.

Yes, I agree on doing nothing to the video. They need to be able to read reg plates and see phone screens etc.

This is absolute nonsense. There is an issue about having to issue a summons I think within six months of the incident. I've reported incidents to TW from weeks back, and I think once or twice from months back.

This really is obstructive, and is possibly worth taking further.

Agree. It's only by being persistent will there ever be a chance of something being done to make it easier to report traffic incidents. The current process is hopelessly out of date. I am also bewildered that AGS regularly seek dash cam footage to help solve other crimes.

Here's the one from this morning slow enough but stupidly close, I caught up with the diver and had words with in in Leixlip village. In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass then executed it perfectly!

Considering the response I got reporting I think I'll just try the educate route in future as it would take far less of my time and might actually have an outcome!

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    I caught up with him and lost it.
    Swearing filter needed!
    That guy is a complete clown and shows typical behavior when the queues start on the N4. I gave up the N4 for the same reason and only travel a few 100m on it now. Looking at your strava link you should have some options to avoid it? If you can its not worth the stress and risks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement