Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

That's better than my lad who thought he had done nothing wrong because he had his indicator on :rolleyes:
    Honestly I was quite taken back by his reaction when I caught up to him I was fully convinced he'd think he did nothing wrong but nothing could be further from the truth is was genuinely remorseful so I couldn't ask for more.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

tnegun wrote: »
    Here's the one from this morning slow enough but stupidly close, I caught up with the diver and had words with in in Leixlip village. In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass then executed it perfectly!

Considering the response I got reporting I think I'll just try the educate route in future as it would take far less of my time and might actually have an outcome!

You are very forgiving, perhaps the Garda car get passed just before you made him think twice, certainly didn't alter his driving.

Ooops posted the wrong link to show the after above, fixed it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    I caught up with him and lost it.
    Swearing filter needed!

Not blaming you in any way, but in general, if you're going to bring an incident to the Gardai, you have to rein in on the swearing. Otherwise you'll be cautioned about possibly being charged under the Public Order Acts yourself, which is a bit of a distraction from the important issue.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Amazing how the legal entities in Ireland can extend every consideration (excuse) in order to excuse away the actions of someone who has just killed or maimed somebody with a vehicle :

"We are only human.."
    "We are not automatons...."
    "Out of character, normally of good character"

Etc etc

..and yet We apparently cannot extend any of the same considerations to a highly distressed road user who has dropped a couple of f bombs immediately after having their very life put under threat by having 1.5 tonnes of metal wielded at them....

The cynic in one might almost get the feeling that was being used to shut down complaints from people that the same legal entities have no interest in hearing.

Fully agree with you btw. Just flagging up the tactics required.

What do ye use to edit the video? I just use VLC to record/extract the interesting sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Amazing how the legal entities in Ireland can extend every consideration (excuse) in order to excuse away the actions of someone who has just killed or maimed somebody with a vehicle :

"We are only human.."
    "We are not automatons...."
    "Out of character, normally of good character"

Etc etc

..and yet We apparently cannot extend any of the same considerations to a highly distressed road user who has dropped a couple of f bombs immediately after having their very life put under threat by having 1.5 tonnes of metal wielded at them....

The cynic in one might almost get the feeling that was being used to shut down complaints from people that the same legal entities have no interest in hearing.

The reason for warning you of this possibility is a sound one. The other party is entitled to be 'offended' by your language and therefore entitled to make a counter complaint. Obviously this would generally be a tactic to get you to drop your original complaint but what if the Guard didn't forewarn you of this possibility and you wound up in court as a defendant?

I think in that event any of us would ask 'why didn't you tell me at the time that this could happen?'

While it's a natural reaction to shout - I do it myself every time - you have to remember that just becasue you've made the original call doesn't immunise you from prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

zefer wrote: »
    1 or 2 cyclists down on North King Street this morning just before 9. Car coming out of Bow street looks like she hit them. Ambulance and 2 fire brigades in attendance

Always have cars pulling out at this junction, so dangerous

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.349823,-6.275727,3a,75y,342.39h,73.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soSFXLcrDCHcY0tlUqOPVVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hope cyclists are ok after it

I hope the cyclists are ok.

Does the junction look the same today as it's represented in Google Streetview? There appears to be no Stop sign to notify traffic coming from Bow St onto King St, and no Stop notice painted on the ground. In fact, no line on the ground until the FAR side of of the cycle lane.

That is an absolutely lethal setup and I'm sure no one is accountable for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

zefer wrote: »
    1 or 2 cyclists down on North King Street this morning just before 9. Car coming out of Bow street looks like she hit them. Ambulance and 2 fire brigades in attendance

Always have cars pulling out at this junction, so dangerous

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.349823,-6.275727,3a,75y,342.39h,73.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soSFXLcrDCHcY0tlUqOPVVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hope cyclists are ok after it

I go that way daily. The cars left hooking along with the car coming out of that road is a constant issue. Been so many close calls at that spot it was bound to have an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did you notice no one beeped or gave out, guarantee if you'd done it there would be a cacophony of noise if you had done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    I caught up with him and lost it.
    Swearing filter needed!

Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.

Near miss for a commuter ahead of me, coming upto a turn on the N11, grey car sped up and cut across him just at the turn. I don't even know how the car made it through. Thankfully the guy turned too look and with instincts like a cat rolled into the corner while braking. The car never slowed, never even noticed I imagine. I really thought I was about to have to call an ambulance, I till cannot figure out how there wasn't a nasty collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.

What is a drug dealer's choice of vehicle ? I'm certain I got asked this in a table top quiz and the answer was High-Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    What is a drug dealer's choice of vehicle ? I'm certain I got asked this in a table top quiz and the answer was High-Ace
    Even the dogs on teh street know the vehicle of choice is a white BMW.

Amateurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Amateurs!

I heard its a white Audi A4. BMW are just too common.

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Amateurs!

It has to be white once your up from the corner seller. I think the cost of the car then dictates where on the ladder you are and how likely you are to be shot or under Garda surveillance. White Land Rovers are likely to be near the top. White BMW near the bottom.

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's a personal choice of course, but the chances of something escalating to a serious incident are infinitesimally small. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to your neighbour as he lets his dog crap on your lawn each evening, then sure, say nothing. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to someone who barges into the ATM queue ahead of you, or barges into you at the Luas door as you're exiting, then sure, say nothing.

If you want things to change, you might want to think about saying something.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I heard its a white Audi A4. BMW are just too common.

Nope, you're all wrong. It's a Nissan Almera coupled with an 085 phone number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Thethunder

Absolutely despise cyclists in Dublin who "commute" via cycling.

Like, if yiz want a bit if exercise, then cycle around the park at the weekend.

Can completely understand frustrated motorists and the so called "near misses. People don't have time for your crap. Drive in like the rest of the punters. Use the bus lane (only a 60 blip fine and no peno point) and you'll fly into work.

The way I see cycling to work is, it's for losers. If you spend 4 years in college and end up cycling to work, you've lost at life basically. The aim in life is to get a nice car, good job and a few holidays a year. Can't sell the lifestyle of cycling to work to kids thinking about the value of a college education.

I get into a nice heated seat car, sit back and cruise home. Couldn't give arats about pollution either (in case anyone wants to attack me on that).

Anyway, rant over. But, to sum up, I get why commuters see cyclists as very frustrating. I myself have never had a near miss with a cyclist, mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thethunder wrote: »
    Absolutely despise cyclists in Dublin who "commute" via cycling.

Like, if yiz want a bit if exercise, then cycle around the park at the weekend.

Can completely understand frustrated motorists and the so called "near misses. People don't have time for your crap. Drive in like the rest of the punters. Use the bus lane (only a 60 blip fine and no peno point) and you'll fly into work.

The way I see cycling to work is, it's for losers. If you spend 4 years in college and end up cycling to work, you've lost at life basically. The aim in life is to get a nice car, good job and a few holidays a year. Can't sell the lifestyle of cycling to work to kids thinking about the value of a college education.

I get into a nice heated seat car, sit back and cruise home. Couldn't give arats about pollution either (in case anyone wants to attack me on that).

Anyway, rant over. But, to sum up, I get why commuters see cyclists as very frustrating. I myself have never had a near miss with a cyclist, mind.

Mod Note: And that's enough trolling for one day.

Respond via pm do not respond in thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fair play to the taxi man who tailgated and beeped his horn behind me on the bike / bus lane on the north quays at Capel Street bridge this morning. I completely forgot it was a 30kph zone, thanks so much for reminding me, and on hindsight it was the prudent choice to maintain this speed to O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I had an incident last week coming through Drumcondra , there is a new lidl been built there and I was heading out of town . The bike lane was blocked with construction vehicles so I stayed in the bus lane for a few hundred meters and not the off street bike lane , well a taxi came flying up behind me and beeped all the while passing within a foot or so.
    I caught up with the guy at the lights and told him it's really frightening when someone beeps you like that and passes at same time as I turned to look who was beeping and that combined with the close pass meant I was disorientated. He told me to get off the f'ing road and cyclist think the own the road ..... Blah blah blah .

Drivers should be more aware of how disorientating it is when someone beeps right on top of you unexpectedly, not sure how you can communicate this , maybe a clever advertising campaign.

Not the first time that this Dacia Duster (131-WH-322) has given me a close pass. The other three vehicles showed proper consideration. The VW van (the fourth to pass me) waited until the other side was clear. Dacia man decided to overtake when a dumper truck was approaching.

I really wish they'd do something about the priority of bikes crossing minor roads/entrances like that. That lane could be great if the priority issue is fixed. I've had a couple of passes there and every driver see the bike lane thinks I should be in there so feel its their right to try intimidate me!

Close pass last night from another cyclist practically rubbed my handle bars I didn't say anything as I wasn't sure but will the next time stupid stuff squeezing by me in a bike lane, then this am a car behind me flashes for a bus to pull out from Intel so he started to go as I'm crossing the junction, opens his window and has a go at me I just told him to clean his windows and continued on no point in talking to him as he already decided I was in the wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I'm sure the fool had absolute no awareness of the sense of irony in what he was saying.

I don't thing these fools can be educated - their minds are just too closed. Only thing that can possibly change their behavior is punishment. ie. the state gets it act together and starts to reform the legal system/processes to give legal protection to people on bikes from monkeys like this.

Yeah very true , cycling years and the majority or near misses I would say for me anyway are in areas where there is an unsuitable bike lane available that I choose not to use.
    I suppose I can understand the frustration somewhat as a non cyclist just sees a bike lane and they probably have no idea why you aren't using it , the irony is supplying non suitable bike Lanes is probably making it more dangerous for cyclists.

• Advertisement

This x1000 the presence of a bad lane makes it more dangerous, just like a painted line makes drivers think that can pass so long as they stay a few mm on their side!!

I always love those drivers who give out to you for not using the bike lane, when your not in it because construction traffic is blocking it, or a bus has blocked it or because someone has moved into make a call. They never wait around for you to explain that if they had been paying attention and aware of their surroundings that they would realise and accept why you were there. All they are highlighting is that they should have a fine for not driving with due care and attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always love those drivers who give out to you for not using the bike lane, when your not in it because construction traffic is blocking it, or a bus has blocked it or because someone has moved into make a call. They never wait around for you to explain that if they had been paying attention and aware of their surroundings that they would realise and accept why you were there. All they are highlighting is that they should have a fine for not driving with due care and attention.

Had a guy give out to me for not using the bike lane. Had to point out to him the truck parked in it. Asked him " where as I supposed to go?" No response from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Traffic Watch for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Had a close pass from a taxi this morning as I was turning off the N11 onto the cycle path outside Donnybrook church. I just don't understand the logic, I would have been off the road 2 seconds later anyway, why pass so close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

micar wrote: »
    Had a guy give out to me for not using the bike lane. Had to point out to him the truck parked in it. Asked him " where as I supposed to go?" No response from him.

Obviously you're supposed to wait behind the truck until it moves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

micar wrote: »

I have been told to cycle in the non existent cycle lane by private car driver in the bus lane. It tends to mean get out of my way and nothing more.

I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

Keep left anyone??? https://streamable.com/a4v9q

I don't normally use this road and this evening reminded my why how many pointless passes can you count in this 60 second clip https://streamable.com/il3ml

I could of taken more of the lane but I don't think it would of made huge difference!

5uspect wrote: »
    I somehow managed to time my ride this morning so that I met several vans all pulling up and parking in the mandatory cycle lane through Ranelagh. I said to a couple of them as I was forced out into traffic that they can’t park there and they just laughed at me.

Sums up the problem with Ireland. For many, poor to nil enforcement = zero compliance with regulations and laws. No consideration of impact of actions on others.

tuxy wrote: »
    I was thinking the taxi was little close considering the oncoming traffic, then the red Mazda appears :eek:

It wasn't just me then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd do Intel Ireland via twitter, they're a company who like to be righteous in many things and won't be happy to be associated with drivers like that, particularly if it risks their own employees

Gardai/Traffic watch is pointless if you come away from an incident able to make a statement they deem it unimportant. I tweeted Intel so lets see do they respond.

Keep left anyone??? https://streamable.com/a4v9q
    Did yer man on foot shout at you? Couldn't quite make it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's a personal choice of course, but the chances of something escalating to a serious incident are infinitesimally small. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to your neighbour as he lets his dog crap on your lawn each evening, then sure, say nothing. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to someone who barges into the ATM queue ahead of you, or barges into you at the Luas door as you're exiting, then sure, say nothing.

If you want things to change, you might want to think about saying something.

Problem is I dont think confronting motorists is really gonna change anything significantly. Its not like they're going to rush home and read up on the rules of the road to improve their driving. Instead its more likely some will come away raging at all cyclists and theres already a lot of rage on the road, especially during rush hours. I think its better to just report the incident and follow it up because thats the only real way that the behaviour of some drivers can truly change.

Agree that the chances of a serious incident developing are very small but perhaps not as small as some think. As said with the Dun Laoighire case we have had road rage leading to the death of someone, I just feel its only a matter of time until it happens again.

Did yer man on foot shout at you? Couldn't quite make it out.

I don't think so the guy on the scooter didn't even acknowledge me, I think he may of been afraid of the dogs but still keep left when passing! Same happens regularly with other bikes/joggers on the canal am I mad in thinking keep left should apply?

• Advertisement

Is it because walkers are on the right so they are going with traffic? Typically most Irish are taught to walk on the right, its a pedestrian area etc. Personally it doesn't bother me at all, slow down, go round people, simples but maybe they are all looking at you cycling on the left and thinking, why isn't he on the right like everyone else.

I don't mind anyone moving about to avoid a puddle of other obstacle it's the not moving back is problematic if everyone attempted to stay left things would work much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882?s=19

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

That poor bloke has had so many dangerous incidents, but that's awful.

I'm one week down awaiting to hear from a Garda re an incident I had and felt the need to actually follow through on.

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

Thats for the Garda. They won't get a more clear cut case of dangerous driving. Totally wreckless to cross a continuous white line with oncoming traffic (a PSV) and then dive in on a vulnerable road user to avoid a head on collision.

@Hurrache

Dont hold your breath. These types of incident are low priority.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    @Hurrache

Dont hold your breath. These types of incident are low priority.

I'm giving it about 4 weeks before I chase it up, particularly given the Gardaí are allegedly prioritising such incidents this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Complete lack of respect for human life. Had a similar incident with a ford ranger, those massive US style suvs a few days ago. Just barged past me at the lights. We have to accept that there's people behind the wheel who don't give a flying fcuk about someone on a bike

At least its not just me they're out to get, another careless Intel shuttle driver https://streamable.com/x94tm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At least its not just me they're out to get, another careless Intel shuttle driver https://streamable.com/x94tm

That cyclist up front is clearly not wearing enough high viz.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the spot the second he can the bus indicates and pulls into the bike lane despite it being occupied. To make matters worse he pulled out again to make the left turn while we were passing on the right.

Advertisement