Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I don't know that stretch myself by it looks like there is some attempt at a segregated path/bike lane left of the barrier that is in rough shape and just ends and you'd have to shoulder the bike over it to continue in the hard shoulder :confused:

Well spotted, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. In fact, it's in such bad repair it was overgrowen with grass (yes, grass!) the last time I looked. In all my years on a bike I have never, ever seen anyone use it.

It's the N11 southbound just south of Glen o' Downs
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

The only vans I've ever seen one the cycle path along there are the council vans emptying the bins early in the morning. You get vans pulling in at the pumping station up at the junction with the kilbarrack road aswell but they're generally parking rather

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Do massive lorries need permission to drive through Dublin CC? A very wide load blasted through a red at Christ Church this morning. Got the reg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming through Shankill, a car overtook me, I was doing about 30kmph, staying about 10m shy of the car in front but not losing any ground. Cars tend to swing in or break so, while more than necessary, no point in being up there arse either. Anyway, driver overtakes me as a JCB is driving the other way. Have to hit the brakes to let him in. I asked him what he was f'in playing at, his response was that I pulled out in front of him on a roundabout. Had to look at the video when i got into work. He was only pulling upto the roundabout as I cleared it. In fact, I was off the roundabout before he entered it. He just couldn't admit the error. Now my language and reaction was inappropriate but I did ask him for his email so I could send on the video but he declined. Needless to say, I was through the next roundabout before him as well as he overtook me into the arse of slow moving traffic like a moron.

Last minute of this video :

and the rest of this one:

I left the full of the last one up to show the cars actually in front of him as I clear the roundabout. Also to give kudos to the large truck that gave a really decent overtake. Finally the end, to show other road users how to navigate a roundabout.

Feel free to criticise if i have done anything wrong

Do massive lorries need permission to drive through Dublin CC? A very wide load blasted through a red at Christ Church this morning. Got the reg.

They need a permit and there is a website you can check but I can't remember the address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Last minute of this video :

First link broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Zulu wrote: »
    Jesus, thats my route and I feel safe because it's off the road from traffic. Your man must have been going some belt to "propel her body into the sea".

I've often seen CC vans emptying the bins, but it's always in the morning, and they are always crawling along less than walking speed in fairness.

Poor woman, poor family. RIP.

I can't see that quote about being propelled into the sea on any of the news articles - do you have a source? (not disputing, just haven't seen it.)

First link broken?

I edited it to take out the first four minutes, must have changed the address. At 29seconds you see the driver come in from the left side of the screen. He had just rolled upto the junction. I have just cleared the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Waiting at the grand canal junction of Mount St this morning and as the lights for traffic went orange a bike and car turned right heading for Grand Canal Street. Lights very red at this stage and a car at crazy speed came from Mount St through to Northumberland St with the driver laughing away to herself for going through a light that had been red a good 3 or 4 seconds. You could see her speed up as she saw the light turn amber and had no regard for the cyclist who made the right hand turn across the junction.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    They need a permit and there is a website you can check but I can't remember the address

https://www.thejournal.ie/hgv-vehicle-valid-permit-app-4725050-Jul2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Just report him to his employer. Its an act of kindness to do so as it will prevent him seriously injuring or killing someone.

A lot of aircoach drivers (and other private coach /shuttle drivers) need a good lesson in road safety and etiquette towards other road users.

I find a lot of Aircoach drivers are brutal, both as a cyclist and Aircoach passenger. Even when you are on the bus they seem to be extremely aggressive drivers in terms of harsh breaking and accelerating. I think most cyclists hold a similar opinion of them, they are cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Journal ninja edit. Cant see it in the article now either. :confused:

Sorry in the indo: https://www.independent.ie/incoming/woman-30s-dies-after-being-struck-by-a-van-in-dublin-39015833.html

DFB certainly had a rig set up there last night, I wasn't sure if it was to support rescue personnel who were entering the water or for recovery purposes. I guess now I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andreabmem

be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anyone use these pedestrain lights often? I find them another horror spot on my commute, drivers hate stopping. I always have to make sure they are stopped before proceeding. One woman yesterday broke the red light by 2 seconds, she looked at me, I looked at her and she closed her eyes and drove on through :confused:

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anyone use these pedestrain lights often? I find them another horror spot on my commute, drivers hate stopping. I always have to make sure they are stopped before proceeding. One woman yesterday broke the red light by 2 seconds, she looked at me, I looked at her and she closed her eyes and drove on through :confused:

There is a set outside my son school, anytime I walk him over we have to wait and hope that cars stop before the light goes green again for vehicles. I have had the eyes closed, the dead straight ahead stare, the hands up shure what could I do, the sorry hand wave. All of this in a) heavy traffic, so they don't get anywhere and your often stood looking at them for the next cycle of light and b) at a traffic light set that is placed there solely to serve two national schools because people wouldn't stop at zebra crossings, the majority of crossers are aged between 5 and 12yo, it is insane the lack of humanity. Tempted if i have a day to go full on narc and just video people doing it but being a grown up outside a NS filming people may not work out well in the long run

McGrath5 wrote: »

Cyclist, pedestrian even motorist you need to wait a second or 3 when lights go your way. It doesnt matter where the lights are located or their surroundings but drivers will still blast through a few seconds after red.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

neris wrote: »

They need a permit if it is 5 axles or more I believe.

You can check the reg for a permit thorugh the app "HGV Permit Checker" on android not sure about ios.

You can also report through the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the story with trucks that can raise one axle? Are they permitted in the city centre if they are only using four axles, even though they are capable of using five?

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    What's the story with trucks that can raise one axle? Are they permitted in the city centre if they are only using four axles, even though they are capable of using five?

I've been told that this doesn't matter. If they have five axles, they need a permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

WTF happened to that pedestrian on the Clontarf cycle path that she was propelled into the sea? It runs along by the sea but how hard would you have to hit someone to get them over the grass then the rocks then the water? Thats murder if a van was doing enough speed on that path to fling someone that distance and there isnt a peep about it apart from the Journal and Indo articles.

A legal condition I imagine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I read earlier the driver had an epileptic fit.

beertons wrote: »
    I read earlier the driver had an epileptic fit.

If true I apologise. 1km on the track, colour me skeptical but having lived with a girl who had epilepsy, and seeing fits, while I am sure there are differences person to person, I don't see you making it 1km along ny roadway, no matter how wide or narrow. Poor woman, and her por kids, no one should have to hear news like this

Coming past the Topaz before the Loughlinstown turn off this evening. bike resting against an ambulance, hope all is OK. Garda on the scene as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

Idleater wrote: »
    Not a real miss, but a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was following a taxi who turned right ahead of me. I thought they took the bend a little wide so I slowed. Anyway, they proceed to do a u-turn so I stopped as they weren't going to make it in one go.

Cue the car who followed me, and was now blocking the junction, beeping at me. I turned to look at them, pointed at the taxi (now back on "my" side of the road) and just shook my head.

Could they have been beeping the taxi driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Idleater wrote: »

Cue the car who followed me, and was now blocking the junction.
    crisco10 wrote: »
    Could they have been beeping the taxi driver?

There is a complete inability of some motorists to read the road ahead of them.

Them blocking the junction is somehow someone elses fault.......ok ultimately the taxi driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Usual ****e this morning, take the lane to prevent close passes car over takes into oncoming traffic then some a$$hat rolls down his window and starts shouting at me to get off the road :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed cycle there? Looks like a dual carriage and I thought cyclist weren't allowed along with low power motorbikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

"Medical condition" whatever the heck kinda condition that might be.
    I'm not referring to this specific case but I have heard of cases of people with diabetes who become confused and disoriented when their blood sugar drops, it could explain why the driver could manage not to crash for 1km, it implies a degree of mechanical control of the car but perhaps not the critical thinking to realise you're not on a proper road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

My spin home

Usually I'd say take the lane where you can but being honest, that looks like an awful road to cycle on, and I'd say taking the lane when people come at you at that speed isnt for the faint-hearted at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Stark wrote: »
    You're thinking of a motorway. It's perfectly legal to cycle on a dual carriageway.

It might be legal because they didn't classify it as a motorway but that doesn't look like a simple dual carriageway. I wouldn't cycle there myself as it looks way too dangerous. Each to their own

Speaking of dual carriageways, was riding the one through Drogheda earlier and another cyclist 20 meters in front of me. Van passes me gives loads of room, tries to give the same space to the fella up the road and pulls out with about 10-15 cm of daylight between his rear and the front of another van in the outer lane.

I'd say the driver of the van in the outer lane near pooped himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Usually I'd say take the lane where you can but being honest, that looks like an awful road to cycle on, and I'd say taking the lane when people come at you at that speed isnt for the faint-hearted at all :(

just for context, the clip starts with traffic merging from the left at saggart cross, traffic coming from town can head left to citywest hotel in a slip lane, traffic coming from the same hotel have a slip lane back on. there's barriers on the cross.

i wave a motorist on from the slip lane as she moves into traffic, that's fine and then i move over to the left of that lane which borders the yellow line - there's no immediate space inside the line so i'm hovering on it.

the yellow line arcs out as the slip lane ends,

the lane you refer to is not a motor lane - its inside a yellow line which the driver clearly uses all the way past me and beyond.

the clip doesn't show the same driver attempt to go up the yellow line before saggart cross before she realised there was me and a barrier so after much beeping at me and having to slow to go back into traffic, she clearly had intention to scare me by passing the cross in an outer lane before moving in to the inner merging traffic lane just to frighten me. she almost clips a car doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Trafficwatch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed cycle there? Looks like a dual carriage and I thought cyclist weren't allowed along with low power motorbikes.

I don't know this spot, but cyclists are allowed cycle on dual carriageways.
    One example is north of Dundalk were the M1 seamlessly becomes the N1 and ceases being motorway.
    Cyclists are allowed cycle on that road.
    N7, Naas Road, is another example of a dual carriageway with motorway characteristics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

just for context, the clip starts with traffic merging from the left at saggart cross, traffic coming from town can head left to citywest hotel in a slip lane, traffic coming from the same hotel have a slip lane back on. there's barriers on the cross.

i wave a motorist on from the slip lane as she moves into traffic, that's fine and then i move over to the left of that lane which borders the yellow line - there's no immediate space inside the line so i'm hovering on it.

the yellow line arcs out as the slip lane ends,

the lane you refer to is not a motor lane - its inside a yellow line which the driver clearly uses all the way past me and beyond.

the clip doesn't show the same driver attempt to go up the yellow line before saggart cross before she realised there was me and a barrier so after much beeping at me and having to slow to go back into traffic, she clearly had intention to scare me by passing the cross in an outer lane before moving in to the inner merging traffic lane just to frighten me. she almost clips a car doing so.

She even kicked up dust that's settled there from lack of regular traffic driving on the spot. She went out of her way to make a complete deliberate punishment pass, sounding the horn to emphasise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The fear of punishment is effective
    [url] [/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Still doing it on a continuous white line with an articulated lorry on the way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Thargor wrote: »
    Still doing it on a continuous white line with an articulated lorry on the way though.

Baby steps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming back from the Sunday spin yesterday along the old n3. Cycling along the yellow broken line at the hard shoulder- it's non existent on the section I was on. Some w@nker in an Audi skims me within inches, doing well north of 100kph. Plenty of cars overtook appropriately, and there was loads of patience shown by drivers on some the climbs around the naul at bellewstown earlier, but there's still the odd wingnut that gets enjoyment from this.

Car after Shankill last week, merged into bike lane on slight bend, front and rear below:

Front: 15 Seconds in

Back: 20 seconds in

Language is NSFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Car after Shankill last week, merged into bike lane on slight bend, front and rear below:

Front: 15 Seconds in

Back: 20 seconds in

Language is NSFW

Ah here. That road widens up by the graveyard about 2 seconds after that pass. Absolute morons. Properly swerves into you as well.

Ah here. That road widens up by the graveyard about 2 seconds after that pass. Absolute morons. Properly swerves into you as well.

At least I know the mic works well :o

My fault but WTF was he doing, I saw him and thought he stopped as he saw me but no started moving as I was looking over my shoulder to check for traffic before rejoining the road! https://streamable.com/qvz71

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>
    Language is NSFW

Ah here. Clear road, plenty of space for a proper pass, and an actual swerve into you.
    That's full on assault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Language is NSFW

Language is better than than some of the driving! Will you gonto AGS? Clearly dangerous and no mitigating reason for the close pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Yesterday on the N4 heading home from work. 07-D-52004 Pulls in front of me, just because!
    The motorcyclist and driver (driving illegally in the 24hr bus lane) behind me both offered me a level of courtesy that the CRV driver was unfortunately unable to do.

I'm not familiar with cycling on that stretch of road, but just out of curiosity, how come you didn't use the segregated cycle lane?

• Advertisement

I used to cycle along there and there are a load of problems with the cycle lane, it's narrow, has an uneven surface, often has rubbish and other debris in it, walkers, walkers with dogs, a bus stop that in the evening peak can unload a lot of passengers into the lane and lastly the setup for the left hook as the lane rejoins the road!

Advertisement