Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

VonLuck wrote: »
    No. But I would choose a cycling route which I feel is safer for me, which I think the segregated one is.

And that's your opinion, but you have to accept that not everyone does and reasons why are given in other posts. I can understand why you think it's safer, but for me it's not, personal experience bares this out, it may not for everyone.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So do you choose your car routes based on causing least inconvenience to others?
    So all the stuff about cyclists who should be on the bike lane so as not to cause 'frustration' for drivers was just nonsense really then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thargor wrote: »
    Why is your opinion more valid than that of the people who've actually ridden on this badly designed lane?

Is someone here claiming my opinion is more valid? I am just giving my point of view. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And again, if you read my previous posts, I have ridden this route a large number of times.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    And that's your opinion, but you have to accept that not everyone does and reasons why are given in other posts. I can understand why you think it's safer, but for me it's not, personal experience bares this out, it may not for everyone.

That's totally fine. I'm just giving my opinion that being on a road where vehicles are very close to me while I'm on my bike feels more unsafe than being on a segregated lane which has a number of junctions.
    So all the stuff about cyclists who should be on the bike lane so as not to cause 'frustration' for drivers was just nonsense really then?

I think you meant to quote me instead of yourself there. You also seem to be purposefully misrepresenting what I said which was the following:
    Although I can also understand some drivers frustrations (even as a cyclist myself) when a cyclist is on the road when there is a dedicated cycle lane.

You cannot deny that it is more frustrating to be behind a cyclist who is moving slower than vehicular traffic. I didn't say that the cyclist has to use the cycle lane, but just didn't understand why they would be on the road when, in my opinion, the segregated lane is safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I think generally speaking I get frustrated with slow moving cars when on the bike more often than I do as a driver behind bicycles.

Either way - the frustration is MY problem. Not the person driving or cycling in front. And either way I have never suffered any actual consequences of being "held up".

Its funny people moan a lot more about being stuck behind cyclists than they do with "General traffic".. but its 2020 and our roads are full so what can you actually do?

buffalo wrote: »
    Do you understand now? :)

That's very condescending and unnecessary.

You can have two sides to a discussion and no "right" answer.

kenmm wrote: »
    I think generally speaking I get frustrated with slow moving cars when on the bike more often than I do as a driver behind bicycles.

Either way - the frustration is MY problem. Not the person driving or cycling in front. And either way I have never suffered any actual consequences of being "held up".

Same here. Happens daily through Shankill. I have to sit in line with traffic. There is no safe space to overtake, but I do what i am meant too and just wait, funny how some drivers can't do the same. The number who try to overtake even though I have only left braking space to the vehicle in front is insane. I usually overcome the issues of meeting traffic by leaving earlier or starting later, it is a simple but effective solution.

I think you meant to quote me instead of yourself there.

Yes, my mistake.

You also seem to be purposefully misrepresenting what I said which was the following:

You cannot deny that it is more frustrating to be behind a cyclist who is moving slower than vehicular traffic. I didn't say that the cyclist has to use the cycle lane, but just didn't understand why they would be on the road when, in my opinion, the segregated lane is safer.
    I can deny that it is more frustrating to be behind a cyclist. I spend far more time stuck behind cars than behind cyclists. I find it strange that drivers who spend vast periods of time stuck behind cars suddenly lose all reason when faced with a cyclist's arse for a 10 or 20 seconds.

12400589_1011007418945386_6633309551208861073_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=Miubybx6g84AX_KDAiZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f7eb0f51f7efa9860c32efd453796908&oe=5EF9E5D4

The number who try to overtake even though I have only left braking space to the vehicle in front is insane.

ye - and that - happens often. A worrying amount of people dont look more than 3m ahead!

Kinda irrelevant now anyway - next few weeks not much cycling or driving!

ye - and that - happens often. A worrying amount of people dont look more than 3m ahead!

Kinda irrelevant now anyway - next few weeks not much cycling or driving!

I am one of the few people in work for the next few weeks, depending on how things go, I will either get sent home eventually or be drafted in elsewhere. Not sure which will be worse.

• Advertisement

it was about 15 years ago i read of the idea, so i'm not going to be able to find the article now - my understanding has been that segregated lanes make cycling along the road safer *between* junctions and more dangerous *at* junctions. but junctions are the danger spots, so they make the safe part safer and the dangerous part more dangerous.

the idea was that a cyclist on a segregated lane is removed to a large extent from the mental radar of motorists, so the motorists are less likely to allow for them at junctions - and the way irish segregated infrastructure is designed, you're usually dumped back onto the road or in front of motorists mere metres before the junction.

I can see how that can happen. But in the specific case I was referring to, vehicles have priority. It would be the cyclist's responsibility to give way to motorists. Not ideal as it interrupts the flow of cycling, but at least the expectation for motorists to be on the lookout for bicycles is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can see how that can happen. But in the specific case I was referring to, vehicles have priority. It would be the cyclist's responsibility to give way to motorists. Not ideal as it interrupts the flow of cycling, but at least the expectation for motorists to be on the lookout for bicycles is removed.

That's an odd thing to say. As a motorist, I'd never relax or moderate my driving to be "not on the lookout" for any other road user.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's an odd thing to say. As a motorist, I'd never relax or moderate my driving to be "not on the lookout" for any other road user.

Yes, because you're a responsible motorist. If you're on the road and expect every motorist to be paying attention or being perfect drivers it could end badly. It's not giving them a pass, it's just the reality of being on the road unfortunately.

You need to be cycling with the mentality that you're invisible to cars. Countless times I've been on the inside lane where a car has turned left in front of me. I don't expect that they will see me and keep cycling, I need to hold back to be sure that I don't get crushed under a car.

What? Have you been drinking?

I don't follow. What have I said that would lead you to believe I've been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

No. But I would choose a cycling route which I feel is safer for me, which I think the segregated one is.[

It has to be safer, it's segregated. Where it joins the road is irrelevant because the segregation ceases - it really is that simple folks.

Totally in agreement with you VonLuck !

hesker wrote: »
    Totally not in agreement with you VonLuck !

It would help if you explained why!

• Advertisement

So when I wait at the pulled back crossing, and the road is clear but I am completely removed from the drivers mind on the main road, who has yet again forgotten to indicate because in ireland, left turns don't need them most of the time apparently, I push off, all clear and no indication that will change and the next thing I wake up in hospital because Dave came round the corner at speed, all to claim I came out of nowhere.

It is an insane proposition that anything about that lane makes sense, the junctions are a mess and dangerous, as dangerous, if not more dangerous than being on the road. Its counter intuitive Ill admit if you don't cycle but I can assure you, it is very poor infrastructure.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can you tell me where in the road traffic act a vehicle has priority if in the same lane as a bicycle, unless I'm missing something, you're making something up entirely,

Also the expectations that motorists should ever not be on the lookout for bicycles, or any vulnerable road user/pedestrian is possibly one of the most absurd things I've seen posted in a forum (Jim Corr rambling excepted)
    They should never stop being on the lookout

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can you tell me where in the road traffic act a vehicle has priority if in the same lane as a bicycle, unless I'm missing something, you're making something up entirely,

Can you tell me where in any of my previous posts where I've stated that a vehicle has priority if in the same lane as a bicycle, unless I'm missing something, you're making something up entirely.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Also the expectations that motorists should ever not be on the lookout for bicycles, or any vulnerable road user/pedestrian is possibly one of the most absurd things I've seen posted in a forum (Jim Corr rambling excepted)
    They should never stop being on the lookout

Christ. Can you please read my previous posts before replying. I never said that they shouldn't be on the lookout. I said that you shouldn't assume that they're on the lookout! Completely different, but you're just choosing to misinterpret my posts to make your own argument.
    I think it's quite necessary to check after x pages of replies and people patiently explaining why the 'segregated' track is deficient in so many ways, have you taken any of it in, or just stuck your fingers in your ears and gone 'lalalalala I'm right, you're wrong lalalala'.

It's good to know it's the latter anyway. But if I'd phrased the original question like that, it would probably be condescending and unnecessary.

You're kidding me, right? I've given my opinion in a reasoned manner, but all I'm being met with is passive aggressive and immature responses, bar a few.

I've read the explanations people have given, and understand why they personally might feel they are less safe in this particular segregated bicycle lane. My point is, in my opinion, I feel safer in a segregated lane with junctions which I have to cross (and I have more control over) than sharing a road with a motorist who is fiddling about on their phone, which I have no control over.

Despite me explaining this, all I'm getting from people here is "your opinion is wrong".

Alright, so you understand now? That's great! No more complaining about cyclists not in cycle lanes and saying that it's frustrating! :)

Sounds like you've had a few knocks on the head over the years!

I never complained about cyclists not in cycle lanes. Do you understand now?

Right so no one is complaining, we all good? :D

Can we go back to near misses? Someone just sneezed near me, but I think I missed it.

EDIT:
    Can we go back to near misses?

I guess not! >>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like you've had a few knocks on the head over the years!

I never complained about cyclists not in cycle lanes. Do you understand now?

Dig up, stupid.

MOD VOICE: Right, the discussion on that one piece of cycle lane has gone far enough. Both views have been given, make up your own minds from now on. Cards for anyone who opens that conversation up again, any queries via PM to me.

Had what felt like a close pass from a Garda van outside Maynooth today but this plonker outside Straffan is obviously more important than me...
    Punishment pass presumably, to get back at you for you having the temerity to filter past him.

Punishment pass presumably, to get back at you for you having the temerity to filter past him.

Na, just an idiot threading the needle between Seth and the road furniture I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Big drop off in posts in this thread over the last week - nobody cycling anymore or volume of cars much lower, or all the crazy loons aren't out in their cars?

Any which way, it's a blessing...

Working from home as a result of covid so have swapped my 42k round trip commute with about 30k on roads 12k greenway for a 40k round trip morning cycle with about 36k greenway and 4k on roads. It's a little tedious on the canal but I can listen to my podcasts and not a car or person in sight for most of it! Had one close call with a German Shepard so far but its bliss!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I had a scary close pass yesterday evening in North Strand from a guy in a GoCar driving at a dangerous speed in the bus lane despite there being relatively little traffic on the road. Pulled alongside him at a set of lights moments later and gestured that he nearly hit, to which he rolled down the window and started screaming at me then pulled his car in front of my bike and told me to get off and he'd get out of the car and we'd sort it out right there.

This guy was deranged, scarily aggressive and I genuinely thought he was going to assault me. Eventually he drove off again at a stupid speed in the bus lane through to Fairview.

So I called Traffic Watch straight away and gave them the license plate, physical description of the guy and a summary of the incident. Lovely lady on the phone who said I was damn right to call even if the Gardai are busy enough at the moment with COVID19.

I'll chat to the Garda when they call but not sure what can be done as I don't have a camera so no footage of the incident and the guy seemed so deranged that going to court if it came to that could be dangerous. And a call from the Garda to him is unlikely to bother him at all, in fact I'd say he'd take the aggression out on the next cyclist he sees.

Some very dangerous people and drivers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

More than likely he'll crap himself if the Gardai got in touch. If he was a proper nutter he'd have got out of his car instead of being all talk about it. I wouldn't worry about any repurcussions if you followed through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I had a scary close pass yesterday evening in North Strand from a guy in a GoCar driving at a dangerous speed in the bus lane despite there being relatively little traffic on the road. Pulled alongside him at a set of lights moments later and gestured that he nearly hit, to which he rolled down the window and started screaming at me then pulled his car in front of my bike and told me to get off and he'd get out of the car and we'd sort it out right there.

This guy was deranged, scarily aggressive and I genuinely thought he was going to assault me. Eventually he drove off again at a stupid speed in the bus lane through to Fairview.

So I called Traffic Watch straight away and gave them the license plate, physical description of the guy and a summary of the incident. Lovely lady on the phone who said I was damn right to call even if the Gardai are busy enough at the moment with COVID19.

I'll chat to the Garda when they call but not sure what can be done as I don't have a camera so no footage of the incident and the guy seemed so deranged that going to court if it came to that could be dangerous. And a call from the Garda to him is unlikely to bother him at all, in fact I'd say he'd take the aggression out on the next cyclist he sees.

Some very dangerous people and drivers out there.

Spotted that lunatic yesterday evening he was really bombing up the bus lane on malahide road near Nazareth house. Thankfully he did not come near the cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You should tweet at gocar , they tend to respond- give them the time and location of the incident , thy might block him from using the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Chiparus wrote: »
    You should tweet at gocar , they tend to respond- give them the time and location of the incident , thy might block him from using the car.

Not on Twitter but might email them and will also ask the Garda when they call if they can do anything with GoCar about the guy's account.

• Advertisement

Not on Twitter but might email them and will also ask the Garda when they call if they can do anything with GoCar about the guy's account.
    Point them towards this thread - the fact that two different people noticed and remembered this guy's driving says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't understand why GoCar users drive like twats. Apart from the few slow drivers who are clearly lost tourists or unfamiliar with the area the majority of them drive like complete knobs.

It's a rental, time stamped picture or video of the reg should be very easy to narrow down...

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only a caution because the driver was never before the Gardai before and was of a good character.
    Probably came from a good family too. Sure what would you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Have been working from home as much as possible but had to go into work today and am covered under essential services anyways..
    No car today, so cycled in, all 40k or so…

Was expecting a few beeps from people assuming I was on a leisure spin but no, all very pleasant the whole way in including thru a checkpoint…

Get to a near empty quays with just a few cars and other people on bikes around…Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…
    Wasn’t aware that they had been co-opted as part of an emergency response unit..prat!

Have been working from home as much as possible but had to go into work today and am covered under essential services anyways..
    No car today, so cycled in, all 40k or so…

Was expecting a few beeps from people assuming I was on a leisure spin but no, all very pleasant the whole way in including thru a checkpoint…

Get to a near empty quays with just a few cars and other people on bikes around…Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…
    Wasn’t aware that they had been co-opted as part of an emergency response unit..prat!

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

No, they seen me and didn't stop me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…

We're told to stay at home and not cycle because any potential injuries could lead to the emergency services been taken away from dealing with the crisis, as well as medical resources...

....as in this example we have your typical Taxi driver who thinks they own the road, deciding to almost cause a serious accident!

So they and other drivers who think it's a free for all now to speed are the main dangers and reasons why cycling is pretty much banned!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    We're told to stay at home and not cycle because any potential injuries could lead to the emergency services been taken away from dealing with the crisis, as well as medical resources...
    I agree with your main poaint, but we're not actually told not to cycle and stay home. Brief daily exercise within the 2km is permitted.

tnegun wrote: »
    Same nothing from my close pass and aggressive behavior by the airport hopper driver last week either. Had a bit of a falling down day today in work so was in no humor on the way home. Another Lucan nut this guy aggressively tailgates me, beeps and then completes a punishment pass.

https://streamable.com/25aif

I caught up with him a few minutes later and tried to reason but lost my cool and caught up a second time and stuck the camera in his face not too proud of that but shows his reasoning

https://streamable.com/n3ir1

Had a call back today and given the current crisis I just let it slide, so the driver is apologetic but there was a perfectly good bike lane and I got in his way!!!!!!! I got so angry when I heard that I just wanted the guard off the phone. I knew this incident was completely insignificant I just couldn't believe what she was saying. No desire to see the footage aparantly I caused the driver to brake hard by not being in the bike lane so he got a fright and reacted badly this was his excuse. He couldn't believe the guards were following up with him, didn't live in the jurisdiction so a lot of garda time was spent following it up I think she was expecting an apology from me. I just said there's other things to be worried about right now and left it at that :o

• Advertisement

After a lovely commute in and out, I was coming to a pinch point where a Land Rover closed in on me. I didn't react but then a few seconds later the same guy swung into the bike lane and slammed on the brakes as it tried to undertake a car turning right but there wasn't enough space. I slowed and then I thought why, so I rammed my bike into the back of his car with as much effort as I could from a standing start. Enough to actually jam my wheel under his rear bumper and crush the cover for the tow bar/socket area. He looked at me in complete confusion. I know in his mind I just wasn't paying attention, he didn't hang round for a chat though but it was sheer lunacy on my part, I just had enough. All that's going on and the same pr1ck twice in 50m puts me in danger without realising it.

Had a call back today and given the current crisis I just let it slide, so the driver is apologetic but there was a perfectly good bike lane and I got in his way!!!!!!! I got so angry when I heard that I just wanted the guard off the phone. I knew this incident was completely insignificant I just couldn't believe what she was saying. No desire to see the footage aparantly I caused the driver to brake hard by not being in the bike lane so he got a fright and reacted badly this was his excuse. He couldn't believe the guards were following up with him, didn't live in the jurisdiction so a lot of garda time was spent following it up I think she was expecting an apology from me. I just said there's other things to be worried about right now and left it at that :o

Awful - I remember getting a close passer in a Beamer to go straight to Dundrum station some years back, and the Garda almost apologising to him while explaining that cyclists don't have to ride in the gutter. what station/area, can I ask?

After a lovely commute in and out, I was coming to a pinch point where a Land Rover closed in on me. I didn't react but then a few seconds later the same guy swung into the bike lane and slammed on the brakes as it tried to undertake a car turning right but there wasn't enough space. I slowed and then I thought why, so I rammed my bike into the back of his car with as much effort as I could from a standing start. Enough to actually jam my wheel under his rear bumper and crush the cover for the tow bar/socket area. He looked at me in complete confusion. I know in his mind I just wasn't paying attention, he didn't hang round for a chat though but it was sheer lunacy on my part, I just had enough. All that's going on and the same pr1ck twice in 50m puts me in danger without realising it.

How's your front wheel?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah, in my opinion a 2km radius from home is effectively a ban on cycling, i particular in urban areas.

Having said that, I see enough people doing 5km laps just because the area is 2km from home.

It's certainly a fairly pointless restriction. Any risk from cycling that applies outside the 2km radius applies inside the 2km radius. I looks like the 2km radius was set to stop people driving to the beach or the forest. All they had to do really was to close the car parks and police it properly for a change.

It was Lucan station, the guard wouldn't even agree with me that there was no obligation for me to be on the not fit for purpose cycle path complete non committal ass covering ****e so I ended the call ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Jesus if this isn't prosecutable what is. Not only a close pass and a fugk you beep also, he then completely admits it and not having a clue on the rules of the road. This should be a 3 month ban in my opinion. Fair dues to the Garda for finding him but shame on them for not prosecuting.

I wonder if a lobby group should take some of these cases privately through the courts. I'm sure some people have PTSD after these incidents AND they should be reimbursed the cost of their careers travel on public transport as now too afraid to use the bike.

How's your front wheel?.
    Fine, not sure what came over me. I just had enough. Sadly passed through a Garda checkpoint a minute later so should have passed on the details.

MOD VOICE: indeed, this is gone well off the near misses topic, any further discussion on the 2km vs 20km can continue in the Corona virus/cycling thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

Doing my lockdown loop on quiet local roads in County Leitrim today, two heroes in their '01 rust bucket Passat decided to overtake me on the narrow hump back bridge into the unsighted left hander. Their magnificent MGIF came all of 7 seconds before they then turned off. 'Sh|t for Brains' would be an insult to good, honest manure.....

https://streamable.com/y6fhot

https://streamable.com/5jmzfv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

pm9999 wrote: »
    Doing my lockdown loop on quiet local roads in County Leitrim today, two heroes in their '01 rust bucket Passat decided to overtake me on the narrow hump back bridge into the unsighted left hander. Their magnificent MGIF came all of 7 seconds before they then turned off. 'Sh|t for Brains' would be an insult to good, honest manure.....

https://streamable.com/y6fhot

https://streamable.com/5jmzfv

Gawrsch..... maybe the blue sky summers day in your video put me in a good mood but I would inclined to be much more complimentary of that driver. - Absolutely agree that overtaking you at all was a d1ck move considering he/she was turning right almost immediately, but they were very space aware to the cyclist in the distance behind you. Waited until the oncoming car passed before overtaking and then did so with plenty of room. Also waited well behind you until you had crossed the bridge and the way was clear before overtaking you, and again did so with a reasonable amount of room.

The way you had tee'd it up I was expecting a barnstorming overtake on or just before the blind bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

It was not so much the overtaking room given that ground my gears, more the fact that the bend would have been blind to them due to wall/bushes on the left. Anything coming t'other way and something would have had to give - probably me. T'was the missus behind. I'm sure she would have scraped me up as required ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Out for my 2k radius spin this eve, and an out of service GoAhead bus came up behind me (I was in the bus lane, the off road cycle lane had another cyclist in it and I never use it anyway because it is a (pile of shyte), beeped, went to go around me and then pulled in on top of me. There were 2 other almost empty lanes to the right of the bus :rolleyes: So completely unnecessary.

Keeping in local yesterday, nothing on the roads and no reason for this, driver was messing with their phone while pulling across me I assume trying to open the barrier.

https://streamable.com/uizi4o

• Advertisement
Advertisement