Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Acquiescence

tnegun wrote: »
    Keeping in local yesterday, nothing on the roads and no reason for this, driver was messing with their phone while pulling across me I assume trying to open the barrier.

https://streamable.com/uizi4o

Looked like they thought the barrier would stay up if they followed the car that had just went in.

It was hardly malicious either way.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

There was no car that just went in, the barrier was down and they driver was on there phone I'm assuming in an attempt to open it. I never said it was malicious but either she did see me and didn't care or was so in grossed in her phone that didn't see me either is contemptuous.

Saying its not malicious is just normalizing ****ty behavior, the driver should of waiting in lane until the barrier opened not blocked a footpath, cycle lane and driving lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Malicious or not, it's still ignorant, rude, and unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Looked like they thought the barrier would stay up if they followed the car that had just went in.

It was hardly malicious either way.

No car went in, someone with a bag walked in,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just had a car overtake me on a roundabout, not nice but in the grand scheme of things, wasn't terrible, I shook my head and rode on. At the next lights, there are two cars turning left and the car was just behind them. I went round on the right, didn't say a word. Light went green, I rode through. Pedestrian standing having a chat with a mate on the bike lane, so I look behind, move out, and just as I pass them, crazy passanger in the car, leans out window and tries to knock me as they skim me. I pull up at a Garda car, but they are busy so I leave it and I'll go to a station. As I come through town I stop to let a Garda and a pedestrian cross the road. As I pull off, the same car, is coming the other way, window down and I call in to "learn how to drive". I also spin around and go upto the Gardai standing there. Car pulls up and the passenger, who is clearly the alpha in this relationship, starts spouting off about me being crazy, swerving in front of them, overtaking on the right ( I did do this), hoggin the lane, causing a danger to myself and others. They then both get out of the car, I inform the Garda of my version of events, to which I hear the passenger shouting she has it on video. I tell the Garda that is great, so do I, I am happy I didn't do anything dangerous but happy to be proven wrong. Somehow they can't get the video up on their phone. In the end, I told the Garda, if she hadn't swung out of the window, I would have just ignored it and put it down to ignorance or a misjudgement. In the end the passanger just kept ranting on about me swerving out and being crazy, that I had followed them (we were going in the same direction), and so on. I just told the Garda I just finished work, in the current climate it was obvious why I was out where I was and basically there was no need for acting the pr1ck, I hadn't been. I don't want to have them charged, just tell them not to act like assh0les. The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless, something I feel they think after just talking to the muppet passenger. I take the route of descretion and say I normally would be only for the joggers/pedestrians that were using it to social distance. I had looked behind, there was plenty of space and time to pull out and if they had waited 5 seconds I would have been back in the bike lane. The other Garda then pulls rank and says we should just leave it there. As annoyed as I am, I am happy to get out of there, as the passenger has no sense of social distancing and keeps getting up in the Gardas and my face. I do wonder where they were going as they had driven from Shankill, hadn't stopped in a shop, nor picked up anyone or stopped anywhere long enough to do anything. I decided that it wasn't the time to ask these questions.

aah FFS.
    Why are some gardai just completely ignorant of basic road traffic laws?

Apart from the baltent lying to the Gardai, the driver was guilty of the following: speeding, overtaking on a roundabout, not indicating, using a phone while driving, running a red light (in front of a Garda car BTW), dangerous overtaking (about 3 inches from my handlebars), and I suspect not out for essential reasons consdering where they came from, where I met them on the return and how long it took them to get there (ie they didn't stop anywhere like a shop or relative). The passenger is guilty of attempted assault, they barely skimmed me as the passanger tried to knock me.

The Garda who talked to me seemed reasonable but the other Garda had decided I was in the wrong, despite the two of the (passenger and driver) repeatedly cutting across the Garda and at one point stepping in front of them in an attempt to spook me, but the Garda didn't seen to have an issue with this driver and passenger being aggressive pr1cks. Funny how the passengers video didn't work once I pointed ut I had it on film as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's absolutely crazy Cram :eek: . And you have it all on camera? I think you should go report it, make a statement etc. That's just outright dangerous, you should report it before they do the same one of the wobblier new cyclists out there now cos of the lockdown, they wouldn't be able to handle themselves as well as you would C.
    Insanely dangerous and absolutely unnecessary. I mean why? I just don't get why people do things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just had a car overtake me on a roundabout, not nice but in the grand scheme of things, wasn't terrible, I shook my head and rode on. At the next lights, there are two cars turning left and the car was just behind them. I went round on the right, didn't say a word. Light went green, I rode through. Pedestrian standing having a chat with a mate on the bike lane, so I look behind, move out, and just as I pass them, crazy passanger in the car, leans out window and tries to knock me as they skim me. I pull up at a Garda car, but they are busy so I leave it and I'll go to a station. As I come through town I stop to let a Garda and a pedestrian cross the road. As I pull off, the same car, is coming the other way, window down and I call in to "learn how to drive". I also spin around and go upto the Gardai standing there. Car pulls up and the passenger, who is clearly the alpha in this relationship, starts spouting off about me being crazy, swerving in front of them, overtaking on the right ( I did do this), hoggin the lane, causing a danger to myself and others. They then both get out of the car, I inform the Garda of my version of events, to which I hear the passenger shouting she has it on video. I tell the Garda that is great, so do I, I am happy I didn't do anything dangerous but happy to be proven wrong. Somehow they can't get the video up on their phone. In the end, I told the Garda, if she hadn't swung out of the window, I would have just ignored it and put it down to ignorance or a misjudgement. In the end the passanger just kept ranting on about me swerving out and being crazy, that I had followed them (we were going in the same direction), and so on. I just told the Garda I just finished work, in the current climate it was obvious why I was out where I was and basically there was no need for acting the pr1ck, I hadn't been. I don't want to have them charged, just tell them not to act like assh0les. The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless, something I feel they think after just talking to the muppet passenger. I take the route of descretion and say I normally would be only for the joggers/pedestrians that were using it to social distance. I had looked behind, there was plenty of space and time to pull out and if they had waited 5 seconds I would have been back in the bike lane. The other Garda then pulls rank and says we should just leave it there. As annoyed as I am, I am happy to get out of there, as the passenger has no sense of social distancing and keeps getting up in the Gardas and my face. I do wonder where they were going as they had driven from Shankill, hadn't stopped in a shop, nor picked up anyone or stopped anywhere long enough to do anything. I decided that it wasn't the time to ask these questions.

By any chance was this a small red 132WW car? I had an issue on the Dublin Road yesterday opposite Lidl (within my 2km!). Have it on camera but was in two minds whether to post it here or report it. Either way this guy was a b311end. Didn't really want to take up AGS time atm.

Saw this tweet from a London based cycling person. If only the gardai were this diligent...

https://twitter.com/Nepomucene/status/1251147993576685574?s=19

Tbf some are. I've had a 5/5 success rate with my TW complaints

Did they all end up with the same station?

• Advertisement

By any chance was this a small red 132WW car? I had an issue on the Dublin Road yesterday opposite Lidl (within my 2km!). Have it on camera but was in two minds whether to post it here or report it. Either way this guy was a b311end. Didn't really want to take up AGS time atm.

A white 10WW, sparkly clean, a young couple out for a spin apparently as they hadn't went anywhere. Ballsy enough to face off in front of two Gardai (the driver), and the passenger was confident enough to tell the Garda the (non existent) law. I miss the days when Gardai had no time for such a lack of manners, maybe I'm getting old but a modicum of respect for the Gardai was how I was raised, even when I disagree with them. Even sadder that they just accepted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i'd be curious as to whether the garda would just say 'yeah i forgot to tell you, but he got done for it' or would the garda have to provide details or proof that it happened?

in short, might a garda be able to falsely tell you it was actioned, so you leave it rest?
    I've had those doubts about some of the responses I got from the Gardai.

In the UK, the complainant gets a written response on the outcome, which is fairly sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I've had those doubts about some of the responses I got from the Gardai.

In the UK, the complainant gets a written response on the outcome, which is fairly sensible.

Possibly. Reporting close passes to Traffic Watch, they seem shocked that I am looking for a Pulse number as reference.

Gardai also end up ringing back asking me if I'd like to make a statement, or will they "ring the driver and let them know that that type of behaviour isn't on, and leave it at that"...

Had a DB beep me this morning and then go to pull in on me at a stop. Frantically pointing at the cycle lane, which I moved into later when it was clear, he went by me giving the middle finger. Reported on twitter and I will be damned, DBnews asked for details to send onto the line manager for review. Probably won't do anything but it was nice to get a response and if all he gets is a warning not to be a d1ck it will be the most proactive response from DB ever.

Just seen your tweets - I'd report it to AGS trather than let it disappear into the information void that is a Dublin Bus investigation.

In the current climate, not sure there is a point. I don't have the energy or want to go into a station. My experience with the Audi was enough to convince me that where I can avoid talking to people at the minute, more the better for my mental health. I have enough going on without getting annoyed at someone for saying, 'its your word against theirs, lets leave it there'.

Possibly. Reporting close passes to Traffic Watch, they seem shocked that I am looking for a Pulse number as reference.

Gardai also end up ringing back asking me if I'd like to make a statement, or will they "ring the driver and let them know that that type of behaviour isn't on, and leave it at that"...
    Yeah, I've had them suggest that informal approach too. I guess they are more used to dealing with 'novice' TrafficWatch users rather than 'frequent flyers' who are making regular reports.

You'd have to wonder how rigorous they are about following up on the informal ones, if no-one is tracking these.

Have noticed a near return to normal service regarding close passes in the last few days on my local loop, very disappointing as it's not like these drivers have been held up anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Yeah, I've had them suggest that informal approach too. I guess they are more used to dealing with 'novice' TrafficWatch users rather than 'frequent flyers' who are making regular reports.

You'd have to wonder how rigorous they are about following up on the informal ones, if no-one is tracking these.

If it’s on PULSE then it isn’t closed until reviewed by the superintendent in the district. There is a list of ways incidents can be closed off, and informal caution as opposed to say adult caution scheme, charge, summons etc, is one of them.

Have noticed a near return to normal service regarding close passes in the last few days on my local loop, very disappointing as it's not like these drivers have been held up anywhere!

Except for perhaps an hour to get into Tesco which, ironically, people seem able to do with no fuss whatsoever

• Advertisement

Except for perhaps an hour to get into Tesco which, ironically, people seem able to do with no fuss whatsoever

... and two meters apart ;)

... and two meters apart ;)

Actually, alot of them aren't and really don't grasp what 2 meters is.

RobbieMD wrote: »
    If it’s on PULSE then it isn’t closed until reviewed by the superintendent in the district. There is a list of ways incidents can be closed off, and informal caution as opposed to say adult caution scheme, charge, summons etc, is one of them.

But still though, what's to stop a lazy cop noting 'informal caution' and simply not bothering their ass to speak to the driver.

Wouldn't it be amazing to get some data analysis of the close out rates by type and by station, to see what actually happens on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

But still though, what's to stop a lazy cop noting 'informal caution' and simply not bothering their ass to speak to the driver.

Wouldn't it be amazing to get some data analysis of the close out rates by type and by station, to see what actually happens on the ground.

Yeah I suppose they could lie and say they administered a caution and get the incident closed off on PULSE, but then they would have to lie on PULSE and that stays there for good. It’d be far easier to just phone the driver up and have a chat knowing it’s not going near a court and no written statement needs to be taken.

There was a PULSE update a few years ago so that data would be available through the Garda analysis unit. Every incident now requires a superintendent to close off every incident. Victims are informed of this by way of an automatic letter. I suppose with traffic related incidents, if you report dangerous driving, the victim is seen as the public at large and not you as an individual, as opposed to say a burglary or assault, where you are clearly the victim.

Personally I don’t agree with an informal caution and if a garda offered me one I wouldn’t accept it. Either a case can stand on its own merits and go to court or not. The difficulty is a lot of people are not willing to take the time to give a statement, if they do give one, then it’s inevitably a summons for traffic stuff, which is 6 months down the road. By that stage they’re generally not as annoyed as they were at the time of reporting it and often don’t go to court as a witness and the case is struck out. Even if there’s a conviction, then it’s generally a fine, and only around 40% of those are paid. Im sure we all saw the results of that case in Ennis Court recently.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fecking Limerick people! :D

What were they trying to do with the door, clean you out? Hope you told them they were on camera.

Looks like an attempted assault at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.

• Advertisement

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.

Do you move over in busy city traffic Padjo when a faster cyclist comes up behind you? You know, give and take and all that...

I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.
    Looks like an attempted assault at the end.
    Yep, if she shouted it is assault whether contact is made or not and very nicely gets out of the car to make easier to identify. This I would be down to the station.
    Have you missed whats going on at the minute? There was f all traffic, easy to overtake, there was simply no need for that behaviour and Seths position was perfect and socially responsible.

Even making a statement isn't guaranteed to go anywhere. The local Inspector (IIRC) will review the statement and any footage and then make a decision on whether it should be taken further. :rolleyes:

Local inspector told me before that "taxi drivers are just doing their jobs trying to make a living" when reporting them for abusing cycle lanes as their own personal waiting ranks every evening.

And that was after a GSOC complaint in relation to their inaction, which took 4 months to be referred back to the local station for what they call "local intervention" (absolutely useless)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

1. I was keeping a social distance of at least 2m from the pedestrians and cyclists - as I'm supposed to be doing.

Genuine question, does the 2m apply to cyclists? You're within the 2m zone for a fraction of a second and figured that chances of transmission are extremely low.

Despite many people being unable to grasp, even roughly, how wide 2m is, it does apply to everyone.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Despite many people being unable to grasp, even roughly, how wide 2m is, it does apply to everyone.

Doesn't seem to apply to people in supermarkets, cashiers, people working together, people living together, people walking by on narrow footpaths etc.

Always exceptions to the rule!

VonLuck wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to apply to people in supermarkets, cashiers, people working together, people living together, people walking by on narrow footpaths etc.

Always exceptions to the rule!

They aren't exceptions though, people walking together are meant to be living together, people walking by others on narrow footpaths should have one person step out into the road as most are doing, many shops have shields up or a physical barrier to help seperation. Just because some people don't do it, doesn't mean there is a list of exceptions, there are simply some who don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I give everyone walking 2mtrs. If they're on the road I'll go opposite lane. Drivers can wait

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

1. I was keeping a social distance of at least 2m from the pedestrians and cyclists - as I'm supposed to be doing.
    2. You twice refer to "traffic" - as far as the Road Traffic Acts are concerned, I am traffic.
    3. There was no justification for their behaviour - at all! The driver unnecessarily beeped at me during the first overtake but more dangerously close passed me on the second overtake. Twice the passenger opened their door to me - once during each overtake (the door opened after the first overtake which given the speed made me think it was somewhat premeditated). Yet you make it sound like I did something wrong and not once appear to criticise their behaviour. What more could I have given? Should I have stopped to allow the pedestrians pass? Should I have moved closed to the pedestrians simply to allow these two ignorant cows get to their destination quicker (noting that most other drivers have no problem passing safely and without the attempted assault?

first off, my intention wasn't to piss you off, in hindsight i can see how it would if I was reading it. sorry for that. I cycle a lot . i guess we have a different view. There is no excuse for the cars behaviour. If it was myself that was cycling i'd probably be staying in the cycle lane but if not i'd slowly drift in to allow cars to pass me and back out again slowly after checking behind me. I'm open to many approaches. In most cases a quick hand/finger, nod if needed will make life more pleasant for all . And of course you're part of traffic, aren't you on the road. you were taking your 2m distance which is your right. do most other cyclists do it ? (doesn't make it necessarily right , i know). Just pointing out that it might be seen by a lot of others especially agressive drivers as a dick move by you. Again just offering another view and certainly not looking to 'win' an argument.

first off, my intention wasn't to piss you off, in hindsight i can see how it would if I was reading it. sorry for that. I cycle a lot . i guess we have a different view. There is no excuse for the cars behaviour. If it was myself that was cycling i'd probably be staying in the cycle lane but if not i'd slowly drift in to allow cars to pass me and back out again slowly after checking behind me. I'm open to many approaches. In most cases a quick hand/finger, nod if needed will make life more pleasant for all . And of course you're part of traffic, aren't you on the road. you were taking your 2m distance which is your right. do most other cyclists do it ? (doesn't make it necessarily right , i know). Just pointing out that it might be seen by a lot of others especially agressive drivers as a dick move by you. Again just offering another view and certainly not looking to 'win' an argument.

I do it all the time on my commute, pedestrians for the most part get why your at it, and motorists in the majority get why your at it. Do other cyclists do it for the most part, yep. There are a few who don't, typically fall into two groups. I move into the bike lane when I can see it is clear for the foreseeable future but some of them have a raised kerb and no line of sight and while I would like to believe I can bunny hop up and down on those kerbs with ease, the sad truth is I can't. If a driver is so poor they can't overtake properly considering how light road traffic is and are aggressive about it, they are the problem.

if you're doing 30km/h on a bike, you'd want to be giving at least a metre gap anyway, and especially with pedestrians who may change direction without looking (well, everyone can do that, but a cyclist has a greater duty of care to watch out for pedestrians than they have for cyclists)

Oh I agree, but there is also a balance between trying to maintain social distancing and putting yourself at risk on the road as well. You may be following the letter of the law by moving out of the bike lane, but some motorists can't see that and put you in further danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If the Gardaí wanted to throw the book at them, as well as the obvious, they also overtook on a solid white line. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's weird one! The first overtake is very considerate on the camera - they're fully four wheels on the other side of the road (of a solid white line mind), but what's the with the getting out of the car?? And then then the opening of the passenger door is a clear and crazy attempt to knock you off the bike at speed. -That's fcukin insane. I'd definitely be taking THAT bit to the guards!!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You have a convertible in Ireland, it's a sure sign you're a grade a prat. I don't apologies to anyone for the generalisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Weepsie wrote: »
    You have a convertible in Ireland, it's a sure sign you're a grade a prat. I don't apologies to anyone for the generalisation

If you say that everyone in Ireland, who has a convertible, is a grade a (sic) prat,
    it's a sure sign that you are a grade A twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

On the way to do the shopping and was nearly clipped by a white Prius taxi.. of course barely 100m ahead he stops to turn into the church up the road to drop off some aul one.
    On the way back had to brake heavily as a group of lads 4, maybe a 5th* came flying through a red in group formation. That one really p!sses me off as we are doing this whole lockdown for a reason and as a result I'm not getting the miles in, can't meet up with the club rides etc but here we have a bunch of (unts thinking the rules don't apply.

*There were 4 doing laps earlier and I think a 5th had joined them at this point. If it's any one in here then I'd just like to give a f you to the lot of you selfish pricks. If you happen to be of the same household then I take it back, but please don't cut corners ffs!

Edit.. I've calmed down now :-D

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you say that everyone in Ireland, who has a convertible, is a grade a (sic) prat,
    it's a sure sign that you are a grade A twat.

Ah I don't care enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Are you not even a little bit curious as to what convertible Eamonnator drives?

:pac:

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=11440

As you ask. Mine was like this, a red 1992 E30 BMW318i. I bought it as a retirement present to myself in 2004. I kept it for 6 or 7 years. It always put me in good humour, when I drove it. It was lovely to drive and was quite basic, no air conditioning, cruise control, air bags or electric roof, but was in great nick. I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

That's assault, and I hope you take it in to leixlip station.

I don't want to have to share the roads with those cretins.

Cycling back from the shops today and plenty of idiots out and about again, unable to perform a safe overtake or wait for a few seconds.

Thoughts on this one?
    https://streamable.com/r5yadj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling back from the shops today and plenty of idiots out and about again, unable to perform a safe overtake or wait for a few seconds.

Thoughts on this one?
    https://streamable.com/r5yadj

Idiotic.....no cars coming the opposite direction had he/she waited a few seconds.

Was there more traffic in general today? Seemed that way to me though I was out about around 4pm so might have just been people coming from work around then , but just seemed like every set of lights I came to had a bigger queue of cars and vans at them than I've seen in recent times.

Was there more traffic in general today? Seemed that way to me though I was out about around 4pm so might have just been people coming from work around then , but just seemed like every set of lights I came to had a bigger queue of cars and vans at them than I've seen in recent times.

Definitely.

Yes lots more traffic the last few mornings, also have noticed sites open, builders working and landscapers working plenty gone back to work well ahead of the 18th. Had a stupid pass myself this am too narrow country road and a car squeezes past me to pull in 50m later gobsh1te.

• Advertisement

Yes lots more traffic the last few mornings, also have noticed sites open, builders working and landscapers working plenty gone back to work well ahead of the 18th. Had a stupid pass myself this am too narrow country road and a car squeezes past me to pull in 50m later gobsh1te.

Some places never stopped. One of the largest bar owners in town could be seen doing up his new property on the corner all through the lockdown. They boarded up the windows as if it made it impossible to tell what was going on. A site on the N11 just before the Stillorgan Park hotel only shut up when the complaints about the workers blocking the footpath and bike path got to epic proportions. They continued for over a week before they finally shut.

Don't ever forget the number of people who didn't give a sh1te about the rest of us when things reopen. I understand some people don't understand or simply don't get it but there are plenty of people who do, but none of them are serving customers or working in tight quarters with their co workers. As a co worker said to me, all the vinters you see protestign being held back in Dublin, none of them are goign to be serving pints when they reopen. Unlike when i was a barman many years ago, none of them will be paying much above minmum wage, as opposed to years ago when it was a well paid and respected job.

Advertisement