Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some places never stopped. One of the largest bar owners in town could be seen doing up his new property on the corner all through the lockdown. They boarded up the windows as if it made it impossible to tell what was going on. A site on the N11 just before the Stillorgan Park hotel only shut up when the complaints about the workers blocking the footpath and bike path got to epic proportions. They continued for over a week before they finally shut.

Don't ever forget the number of people who didn't give a sh1te about the rest of us when things reopen. I understand some people don't understand or simply don't get it but there are plenty of people who do, but none of them are serving customers or working in tight quarters with their co workers. As a co worker said to me, all the vinters you see protestign being held back in Dublin, none of them are goign to be serving pints when they reopen. Unlike when i was a barman many years ago, none of them will be paying much above minmum wage, as opposed to years ago when it was a well paid and respected job.

It's funny in all of this I haven't heard one soundbyte from a punter complaining about not being able to have a pint, pubs need to note this. I was a barman too in a previous life and I was there in a near empty bar on December 31st 1999 because all the local bars thought it was clever to charge in that night and people had house parties instead.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

ah, i've seen plenty of stuff on social media along the lines of 'i'd kill just to sit in my favourite seat down the pub with a pint in front of me'.

Street bingo and cans/bottles is popular up may way last two weekends on social media..... don't get me started :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ah, i've seen plenty of stuff on social media along the lines of 'i'd kill just to sit in my favourite seat down the pub with a pint in front of me'.

Diageo marketing machine think they have identified their target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Very close one this afternoon along the Dollymount cycle track, the one along the sea walk. Despite the huge crowding on it today I was getting along fine at a decent speed until I was gradually maneuvering to avoid a parent coming towards me on a bike who had his eyes on his child a few meters back - between the two of them they were occupying both lanes. At the very last second he seemed to lose control for a moment as his eyes were fixated behind him and swerved into me, forcing me to abruptly brake to a stop and shout to warn him. Luckily that got his attention and he stopped, but we were practically wheel to wheel at that point and he nearly went over his handlebars. Milliseconds from a full on collision.

In fairness to him he immediately apologised, saying he was trying to keep an eye on his kid. I just said fair enough, nobody got hurt and making a scene over it would have only served to upset us, the child and the day that was in it, so it was left there.

Very annoying though when something like that happens - it's fantastic to see everyone out exercising but unfortunately many people aren't exercising basic cop on! I don't mean just himself necessarily, as there were countless joggers and groups of cyclists out today occupying both cycle lanes. I know parents do have to keep a constant eye on young kids but would it not be safer for everyone to have the parent behind and the child in front to avoid this sort of thing?

I would always view cycle tracks as being for this specific situation, not everyone agrees but I would use the road myself once there is anytype of crowd or young ones on it. Also if there are old ones on it. In fact, once anyone is on it, I'd choose the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Just take it handy on that track, it's a very badly designed piece of infrastructure for the most part. Obv it's fast when it's empty but it gets busy every summer.

Like others have said the road is where you go if you want to go faster than crowd or if you aren't prepared to slow down regularly for all the various obstacles.

The only people causing an issue at the minute are dudes overtaking while weaving and moaning loudly about being held up by bloody Cyclists or having to share space with pedestrians (while being in the wrong about who has priority in the shared spaces)

Of course, but just to be clear, the kid was cycling normally a few meters back behind the parent. It was the latter who almost collided into me - not the kid.

I did start using the road soon after, but the surface conditions are awful in much of the area and I've experienced road rage from motorists before up there for not using the cycle lanes. It's a hard call to make, deciding between the two on a day like yesterday when everywhere's crowded.

Garzard wrote: »
    Of course, but just to be clear, the kid was cycling normally a few meters back behind the parent. It was the latter who almost collided into me - not the kid.

I did start using the road soon after, but the surface conditions are awful in much of the area and I've experienced road rage from motorists before up there for not using the cycle lanes. It's a hard call to make, deciding between the two on a day like yesterday when everywhere's crowded.
    I get guff from motorists all the time for not using the cycle path in my area. Not a law but my rule of thumb is if I can explain why I'm there logically and without getting agitated to a Garda, I'm pretty sure I made the right call and if people want to get annoyed with me, so be it. The majority of those who give out are typically those who have done, are doing or in the following moments about to do something far more dangerous and / or illegal. If I can't explain it, then I'll wave and move in as soon as it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For the duration of COVID there is no such thing as a cycle track only a jogging lane. Even at 7AM when the ped paths are a ghost town. Should mount a super soaker to the bike...

yes, but you mentioned both 'huge overcrowding' and 'getting along at a fine decent speed'.
    you also seem to have spotted beforehand that the adult in question was not looking at you because he was focussed on his kid. well done for avoiding the collision, but there's a simple rule of thumb with situations regarding road/vehicle/pedestrian safety - the person in the larger vehicle or who is moving faster generally shares a greater responsibility for their actions than the more exposed or slow moving people.

As there happened to be fewer people around the spot where this occurred and seeing that he was distracted, I decided well in advance to use the free space to give as much clearance as possible - for good measure I also slowed to 20kph (estimate) when making the turn. Only at that last second did he suddenly swerve into my path. I don't think there's any more I could have reasonably done on that. While I agree in principle with the larger vehicle/greater speed point of responsibility, in some situations you can take every precaution and still be caught out at that last second by someone not paying attention.

Main thing is no one got hurt, and errors like these happen to the best of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Its a tough fight and quite often the Gardai take the side of the motorist I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Drivers seem to be back to the usual crap in Cork, anyway.

Both of these within 10 minutes of eachother - pointless, impatient, dangerous overtakes. I was cycling to Tesco to do some shopping! :rolleyes:

Gardai just wanted to call them and 'have a word' on the phone - I politely declined and advised them I'd rather make a formal report with footage. Can't accept this crap...

Thoughts?

https://streamable.com/24a75s
    https://streamable.com/x92hne

---

https://streamable.com/yvsige
    https://streamable.com/fkknz2

My own dad had similar a few weeks back on the same road - van driver nearly knocked him off his bike. :mad:

Out for for prework spin this am and it was like a normal rush hour anyway I turned off to a side road to keep within my 5k and this guy never looked up from his phone once I'm pretty sure he didn't even know I was there.https://streamable.com/82ogj9

Seriously bad one today. Unbelievable really. Coming up to a blind junction too.

https://streamable.com/1f409p

What an ass overtaking approaching a junction and into on coming traffic!

tnegun wrote: »
    What an ass overtaking approaching a junction and into on coming traffic!

Sure I caught up with him 2 minutes later, he was driving to the park - the same place I was heading!! :rolleyes:

He wasn't keen to chat much though.

Yes lots more traffic the last few mornings, also have noticed sites open, builders working and landscapers working plenty gone back to work well ahead of the 18th. Had a stupid pass myself this am too narrow country road and a car squeezes past me to pull in 50m later gobsh1te.

Had the memory card in the laptop so pulled this one too and here's the pass I was referring to https://streamable.com/5ndtx9 completely pointless and impatient!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seriously bad one today. Unbelievable really. Coming up to a blind junction too.

https://streamable.com/1f409p

And forcing the oncoming traffic into the gutter too. Sure how could have been expected to know that a car might come around that corner?

They sure are, I'm guessing it wasn't the owner who passed me either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No planning permission for the airstrip :D

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/under-fire-developer-built-airstrip-beside-family-home-without-planning-permission-34544386.html

The gate was originally at Summerhill House - but purchased at some stage post-1921 and moved to Dolly's Grove
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerhill_House

Way off topic so apologies for that and thanks for that info re the gates @blackwhite, Summerhill house looked amazing something to rival Castletown! they've also gotten Google to obscure anyview of the runway from streetview and leave out a section of road!
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4217123,-6.5516719,3a,75y,24.14h,80.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szUKEPlT3mu0flVJ0c8gC7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jaysus thats a nice collection of planes he has!

Doubt its a working Harrier.

It might need to be a pretty fast KOM in the event that there are hounds released :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

someone should lift their bike over the fence and set a KOM on that runway.

I've done some homework on that before, quite a few small fields that'd be easy to jump on for 5 mins :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a look at the airstrip on google maps. Oddly enough, it looks like it's been blurred out when you look at it on streetview.

Is a warning sufficient anymore?
    Is there anyway to know if they've even happened!

Just received a photo of a club member who was out on over the weekend.
    Apparently another cyclst broke a red and came straight out in front of him resulting in the club member going over the handlebars and subsequently needing a lip to be stitched and three teeth broken.

Jesus that's rough :( what an asshat breaking the lights

• Advertisement

Is there anyway to know if they've even happened!

Nope. Loads of times Gardai have attempted to get me to agree to them "having a word with the driver"

In my opinion, if I was in a vehicle and they were driving dangerously it would be treated far more seriously.

I usually just push ahead for a fine/points, especially if I have video footage.

There's no way of telling if Gardai even ring the driver as far as I know. It's an "informal slap on the wrist" basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I'm surprised you didn't find him in your man's garden on the next bend.

Descending Ash Hill (between Dunboyne and Maynooth) on Saturday at about 40km/h (there was a headwind!), white van man was evidently in a hurry (overtaking the car behind me on a bend/solid white line and pretty much not giving a bollix about me).
    I just hope that I didn't delay him too much...
    https://streamable.com/lpg01w

That was close, I cycled up ash hill on Saturday and was convinced that I had the headwind:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Descending Ash Hill (between Dunboyne and Maynooth) on Saturday at about 40km/h (there was a headwind!), white van man was evidently in a hurry (overtaking the car behind me on a bend/solid white line and pretty much not giving a bollix about me).

Lookit the oncoming driver being forced over, nearly into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

The Guards with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fairly sure he overtook a car on the blind bend at the very start of the video as well.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I felt seriously uneasy watching that van come up behind you in that one. Zero ****s given there.

Definitely one for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Complete and utter stupidity even if I hadn't been there. The good times, short-lived though they were, appear to be over.

Crossing a continuous white line on a blind bend to overtake a cyclist who was already overtaking a pedestrian:

Yikes !!!

Also hard to see from the video how close they were to the cyclist up ahead of you going your direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Complete and utter stupidity even if I hadn't been there. The good times, short-lived though they were, appear to be over.

Crossing a continuous white line on a blind bend to overtake a cyclist who was already overtaking a pedestrian:

Holy sh!t. If the Gardai don't prosecute this I give up. What a disgusting driver putting multiple bikes and pedestrians in danger. We really need to see bans for this nothing less.
    What really annoys me, other than potentially killing people, is how many more people might walk or cycle if they didn't fear for their lives because of this type of wanker.
    Hope you are OK?

Not really a near miss, cycling in a contraflow cycle lane , car pulls infront of me on the lane to park. I asked her not to park there , she told me to get out of her way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fciU6xloaRI

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    I was hoping to see the interaction

Maybe later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

did you get the reg? that's one for the gardai.

All bar 1 digit I'm not 100% on. I'll check the Fly 6 rear as it's usually clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Stark wrote: »
    Information on make, model and colour of car based on reg plate is public domain. https://www.motorcheck.ie/ for example (or NCT site) will let you look up those up.

+1 on the NCT website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I think Phase 1 of the gradual reopening of the roads for motorists is well underway, pointless overtake and left hook near Dunboyne castle yesterday. Anyone know what's in Phases 2 - 5? I'm assuming aggressive tailgating and close & fast passing is next?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I think Phase 1 of the gradual reopening of the roads for motorists is well underway, pointless overtake and left hook near Dunboyne castle yesterday. Anyone know what's in Phases 2 - 5? I'm assuming aggressive tailgating and close & fast passing is next?

I see your allowed text/FB/Insta/Whatever while driving to work again, I know that had alot of people worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

CramCycle wrote: »
    I see your allowed text/FB/Insta/Whatever while driving to work again, I know that had alot of people worried

Phew thank God for that. It's great to see the country gradually getting back to normal.

I saw one motorist in the Phoenix park last week driving in the newly coned off cycling lanes on chesterfield avenue. She was obviously planning her journey to work and checking these out - it's so convenient that they matched exactly the width of her car.

Same experience here sh1tty driving has returned these two this am

https://streamable.com/uzgl2s
    https://streamable.com/h0ut9f

Found this on the card too from last week this guy was pushing a breakfast roll into his face and had what looked like the phone and steering wheel in the other hand, am partial to a breakfast roll myself just not while driving.

https://streamable.com/q26xmm

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Didn't look like they registered you at all - Guards with that one. And Guards and Intel with the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Any of you heard of https://upride.cc/incidents/ ?

You can upload vids of close calls etc and pin them on the map.

Might be handy for highlighting areas with higher than usual bad driving.

That last one was pure bullying
    I think there was an element of laziness too, he couldn't change gear as his hands were full so just ploughed on through!

Steoller wrote: »
    Didn't look like they registered you at all - Guards with that one. And Guards and Intel with the truck.
    I might try Intel, not wasting my time with the guards they don't take it seriously, waste huge amounts of your time missing appointments etc. and I still have one incident open with them for the Airport Hopper earlier this year.

juicer wrote: »
    Any of you heard of https://upride.cc/incidents/ ?

You can upload vids of close calls etc and pin them on the map.

Might be handy for highlighting areas with higher than usual bad driving.

Looks interesting I'll check it out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement