Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not a near miss as such but look at this mandatory cycle lane in Cork City today:

https://streamable.com/u0shp6

18+ vehicles, like this most days. Ignored by wardens and Gardai, and Cork City Council refuse to segregate.

This is the cycle lane leading from Cork's main train station in the city centre...
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few yellow regs to save on the VRT as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What the feck was yer man doing in the silver car on the other side of the road 19 seconds in!!!!

Driving off the footpath/cycle lane and heading away on the wrong side of the road! The usual.

Its only funny because he didn't hit the lady and young lad in the Car Park but it nearly was not very funny at all.

On the way down to the shop on the way home from work, a driver pulled in on the pavement and double yellows. Undoubtedly because, just like the driver who just drove away, he wasn't arsed parking and walking 10m. As I rode passed, his window was down, and I politely said, "that's not a parking space". I thought no more about it. I stopped to let a car make a turn in front of me as the weird junction that is next is actually hard to tell who has right of way (the driver had but didn't realise). Anyway, pull into the shop, locking up the bike when I hear the driver who obviously decided that following me was more important than going wherever he was off too slow rolled passed me and was coming to a stop as he started to give out to me. Thankfully his passanger let a scream and he half stopped/swerved as the two previously mentioned people pinned themselves to a car as he skimmed them. He decided not to wait around to give out, as his passenger apologised out the window. The Lady who was nearly hit was confused as to why he had tried ot run her over and then changed his mind at the behest of his passenger.

I still can't figure out why he came after me as the shop he was pulling into was on a one way street, and if he was to return there, he had added on at least 150m more walking, or several minutes driving, all to "explain" to me, presumably, that he wasn't parking but dropping someone off.

Thankfully no one was hurt but it was bizarre. I really don't think he should be driving if he pays such little attention to whats going on around him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In very broad terms, the cycling community seems to be significantly more lefty/greeny than society at large. So I allowed my self a little grin when I saw Karl, who is slightly to the right of Thatcher on economic issues, posting this fairly classic example of a left hook near miss.

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1266274719906459652

My missus picked up a young male cyclist who was knocked down on the roundabout outside Dundrum Town Centre, Tesco fuel station side yesterday afternoon. He was fairly shook, but didn't seem to have any major injuries. She brought him and bike home. Driver said that they were in a hurry.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Driving through Millennium Roundabout (Powercity near Blanch, D15) this afternoon at 15:20 and cyclist down which looked serious. Fire brigade on the scene and they had the cyclist in a neck and back brace on the road possibly waiting for an ambulance. There was another cyclist with him talking to the fire crew and the bike was at the roundabout with the front wheel removed. Hope all is ok.

I know that roundabout well. No matter how much time you think you have, a car always seems to gun it on one of the exits. That's my experience of it at least. It's got lights at part of it too, but they are a bit awkwardly placed in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

My missus picked up a young male cyclist who was knocked down........Driver said that they were in a hurry.

Hope the driver wasn't delayed.............what a response to give.

Sorry for almost killing you but I'm in a rush.

micar wrote: »
    Hope the driver wasn't delayed.............what a response to give.

Sorry for almost killing you but I'm in a rush.

That's the main reason I posted here, in case the cyclist sees it and needs a witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was just saying to myself it had been a great morning with no stupid passes then this 10k from home. Car had only just come up behind me too and I was planning on pulling in a bit if the surface allowed but she was having none of it.

https://streamable.com/gulo43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats a good camera^ what is it?

Although everything bike related looks good in this weather.

Yeah its a Fly12CE. Its a good camera but not without its faults. I was on my 4th or 5th mount before I switched to the on bar one. The unit is too heavy for the other and disintegrates with astonishing consistency I can't remember now but it was something like 1600km +/- 100km when I started counting.
    Cycliq tried to say I was over tightening it and damaging it then blamed the Garmin bracket so I got another but it failed in exactly the same way with it too. In fairness they did keep sending them but the camera hit the ground hard once as a result and they just said the recommended securing using the strap too!
    The bluetooth gave up on it recently aswell and I've never gotten 8 hours out of it currently it will manage about an hour fifty recording in 1080p with the strobe on and it's just out of warranty.

(FYI the Fly6 rear camera & light is great!)
    I have had two of the new generation ones, both broke fairly quick. Guy in the shop said it was a common return. Great camera, and light but I wouldn't put faith it in lasting after two returns.

For the price of them its crazy they're having such issues with the mounts failing just make them from metal and not cheap plastic and it would solve most of these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »

Is there any actual info on it, after the last one I am skeptical about buying one again.

I got mine at decent price on sale and still feel like a paid too much for what was good light and an average 720p camera. At the moment I'm using it as an expensive rear light as I've not used it as a camera in ages.

Magic shine were supposed to be bringing a fly6 alternative to market. It was shown at the Taiwan bike show, but I wonder if it was too similar and they had to drop it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is there any actual info on it, after the last one I am skeptical about buying one again.

https://cycliq.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/d/E3B083ABC0E6F77B2540EF23F30FEDED/5D0056448D43D4261D419C9787CC9684

Only 4 hour battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

...and that's at optimal temperatures (for the lithium battery which I read somewhere is like 21 degrees or something) as well probably. Can't see 4hrs in winter time here. Be charging the thing too often.
    As a dragon said... And for that reason, I'm out :)

• Advertisement

andy69 wrote: »
    ...and that's at optimal temperatures (for the lithium battery which I read somewhere is like 21 degrees or something) as well probably. Can't see 4hrs in winter time here. Be charging the thing too often.
    As a dragon said... And for that reason, I'm out :)

I have series 2 , and it works fine for me in combination with fly 12 ( series 1), battery for the fly 6 is between 4 and 6 hours, longer for the fly 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Flaccus wrote: »
    What alternatives are there ? Even just a camera with no light. The hero 8 black only lasts 1.5-2 hours max 1080p @60fps with all features turned off. It's a pity GoPro discontinued the diminutive hero 5 session.

Amen. The Sessions are perfect if the image quality was 15% better and double the run time which could totally be managed with modern SoCs itd be perfect. As is very good.

The thought is Sessions eat into the sales of the main unit which has better margins. No clones have done a true successor yet either.

It's occurred to me a few times that it would be great to be able to charge stuff with your peddling like a camera or phone. Dynamo's are not new tech so a quick google there and yeah I'll keep charging the old way.

Not cheap by any stretch. Looks to be around 200 euro for the kit and unit that sits on the top of the steerer tube and only one port.

Ghost XL or 4k, I still use the Sleath II, great camera. If their follow up ones are as good, there is a reasonable alternative. The Sleath II actually slots in under my saddle.and between the saddle rails, and makes a perfect camera holder (Fizik saddles).

It's occurred to me a few times that it would be great to be able to charge stuff with your peddling like a camera or phone. Dynamo's are not new tech so a quick google there and yeah I'll keep charging the old way.

Not cheap by any stretch. Looks to be around 200 euro for the kit and unit that sits on the top of the steerer tube and only one port.

You can get a b+m usb / dynamo charger. Less than 100. Not nearly as neat but it works. I have one, but don't actually use it. Plan on using it on a new build hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Or in my instance the driver was so shocked that a guard would be following up on this he said there was a perfectly good cycle lane guard so the cyclist was in the wrong lane. No remorse expressed to the guard just the fact there was a cycle lane present which the guard seemed to agree with and the drivers apparent shock was enough drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I have series 2 , and it works fine for me in combination with fly 12 ( series 1), battery for the fly 6 is between 4 and 6 hours, longer for the fly 12.

Aren't they always on, i.e. don't shut down completely, in order to keep bluetooth active so you can connect to them? Mine, if not used for a while, still manage to be dead when I get back to using them again. Picture quality is great though.

Re accepting apologies on the recommendations from the gardai, unless the offender were remorseful at the time and attempt to acknowledge their mistake, or just weren't intent on risking injury to myself like with punishment passes, I'm of the mind that I won't accept them. I've a case with the gardai at the moment and I told them I wouldn't accept an apology when they told me the various directions they could go as the driver purposely drove like he did, and when caught up with at the next lights, wouldn't acknowledge my existence, never mind their actions. They could apologise then, but don't come crying with one when the gardai come knocking at your door only because you've been caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Remarkable one yesterday.

In Rathgar, Dublin. I'm sitting at the 4 way cross roads having come from Terenure. I passed a lady on a bike, a bit out in the middle of the road, seemed like she was enjoying the weather and maybe a bit away with the fairies.

Lights are red. I hear a bicycle bell ding twice as she piles straight through down towards Rathmines. I couldn't believe it. Cars coming thru green lights from left and right happened to miss her. By very little. She hollered something and shook a fist. And kept going. She is very lucky not to be dead.

I was tempted to go after her and ask her if she had a death wish, but thought better of it - very little chance of having a sensible outcome with someone that thought that was a good idea.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Really.

?

• Advertisement

In Rathgar, Dublin. I'm sitting at the 4 way cross roads having come from Terenure. I passed a lady on a bike, a bit out in the middle of the road, seemed like she was enjoying the weather and maybe a bit away with the fairies.

Lights are red. I hear a bicycle bell ding twice as she piles straight through down towards Rathmines. I couldn't believe it. Cars coming thru green lights from left and right happened to miss her. By very little. She hollered something and shook a fist. And kept going. She is very lucky not to be dead.

I was tempted to go after her and ask her if she had a death wish, but thought better of it - very little chance of having a sensible outcome with someone that thought that was a good idea.

I presume you do the same if a car breaks a red light ?
    Go after them and ask do they have a death wish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I spoke to a cyclist once when i caught up with him who went through a red light. He'd didn't appreciate it and started to chase me.

Luckily we were going uphill and was not able to keep up when I increased the pace.

If she was putting herself in such danger then yes.....she should be spoken to.

She's giving us law abiding cyclists a bad name which we are all being beaten with.

I spoke to a cyclist once when i caught up with him who went through a red light. He'd didn't appreciate it and started to chase me.

Luckily we were going uphill and was not able to keep up when I increased the pace.

She's giving us law abiding cyclists a bad name which we are all being beaten with.

Would you go after a driver who broke a red light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Semi-related - I was cycling home from work on a dark evening and there was a guy in front of me on his bike but he had the most blinding flashing rear red light I have ever seen. It was very distracting and to be honest I was finding it hard to focus properly.

So I cycled up beside him and politely said "just a heads up, your rear light is very bright and is blinding people". He looked at me blankly and said nothing. I thought he might not have understood so I said "it's a bit distracting, just thought I'd let you know" all with a smile on my face. He looked puzzled and had a furrowed brow. I don't think he appreciated being told that.

I probably came off as a bit of an ass, but I figured how else is he to know. He's never going to be looking at the light!

VonLuck wrote: »
    Semi-related - I was cycling home from work on a dark evening and there was a guy in front of me on his bike but he had the most blinding flashing rear red light I have ever seen. It was very distracting and to be honest I was finding it hard to focus properly.

So I cycled up beside him and politely said "just a heads up, your rear light is very bright and is blinding people". He looked at me blankly and said nothing. I thought he might not have understood so I said "it's a bit distracting, just thought I'd let you know" all with a smile on my face. He looked puzzled and had a furrowed brow. I don't think he appreciated being told that.

I probably came off as a bit of an ass, but I figured how else is he to know. He's never going to be looking at the light!

Drop back or overtake, what do you want him to do? Turn the light off?

Nope. Just thought he'd acknowledge that I was speaking to him.

i can understand a very bright front light if you want to be able to see with it.
    a rear light is for being seen, not for seeing. fair game to say to someone if their light is too bright; are you supposed to avert your eyes while attempting the overtake?
    it's like excusing someone driving towards oncoming traffic with full beams; sure they'll be past you in the next ten seconds, so what harm?

What do you want them to do?

How bright should they be to be seen by a car travelling at the speed limit of 28 m/s, on a dark country road?

What do you want them to do?

How bright should they be to be seen by a car travelling at the speed limit of 28 m/s, on a dark country road?

Honestly, not as bright as some people think. Far too many lights are obnoxiously bright and have stupid and downright dangerous flash / pulse patterns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe readjust it or dim it at a later point.

I've been dazzled by some really bright lights along the canals, either because they're on full blast, or adjusted to aim straight forward rather than downwards. I've mentioned to a couple of people that their light is dazzling oncoming people.

• Advertisement

Do the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits give the law-abiding 2% a bad name?

I mentioned it to a guy once as he came round a corner, he said thanks, and he lowered it, had a nice chat about something else for a minute, no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure its been said to me in the past. I have said it to one other that sticks out and he just ignored me, agus sin e.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Gaz wrote: »
    Finally got myself some bike cameras (cycliq), first day out and had this close pass.
    Its such a common occurrence, I am not sure whats worth reporting, does it need to be `close close` or just `close` ? :-)

https://streamable.com/r4j5qd

Report this to trafficwatch. They can't ignore it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Why do cyclists advocate "using the lane" and take a position on the middle of the road?

I'm new to cycling. I told a coworker that I was squeezed a few times because I keep left and she told me to be assertive and take a position centre of the lane.

I might try this next time. How will this force car drivers to overtake with 150 cm though? They can still easily squeeze by.

I'd also be scared of getting rammed if some clown is glued to their phone and not paying attention.

The 1.5 metres was hammered into me by my driving instructor when I started driving 12 years ago so I've always done it even before those ad campaigns regardless of what position the cyclist was in. I was always told to imagine the cyclist was a full sized car, if you can't safely overtake by crossing the other side of the road, then don't overtake at all.

Why do cyclists advocate "using the lane" and take a position on the middle of the road?
    Because it forces those who might squeeze by to at least move out far enough to do a half decent overtake. It also then leaves you with wiggle room to your left if something goes wrong. If you are in the middle of the lane, you have taken away that "I might just squeeze through" option that many drivers see but doesn't actually exist.
    I'm new to cycling. I told a coworker that I was squeezed a few times because I keep left and she told me to be assertive and take a position centre of the lane.
    Smart coworker
    I might try this next time. How will this force car drivers to overtake with 150 cm though? They can still easily squeeze by.
    And if they do, they do, but you now have space to go to your left if needs be.
    I'd also be scared of getting rammed if some clown is glued to their phone and not paying attention.
    If they are paying that little attention, likely they would hit you anyway.
    The 1.5 metres was hammered into me by my driving instructor when I started driving 12 years ago so I've always done it even before those ad campaigns regardless of what position the cyclist was in. I was always told to imagine the cyclist was a full sized car, if you can't safely overtake by crossing the other side of the road, then don't overtake at all.
    And that's pretty much it, Imagine there is a box around every cyclist equivalent n size to where they could land if they fell over, that's how much space a driver should give as that is the space that if your within it, you could run over them if they slipped/fell unexpectedly.

Would your query be different if you realised I was on a bike? It's fairly typical here of some responses, heckles up immediately if the poster is perceived to be a driver. Negative or defensive, passive aggressive type responses. We do ourselves no favours. Anyhow, I'm sure there will be violent disagreement.

To answer your question, when a car does this, I have often caught up with the car and asked "are you trying to kill someone". So, a similar response with a more appropriate question. Often while shaking with anger, if I have been the one nearly clipped.

I should have gone after her, but I was headed down Highfield, she towards Rathmines, by the time the lights were green she was too far gone for me to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

VonLuck wrote: »

Ahhhhhh the social media 'WhatsBook' generation. Please don't feel he ignored your comment about his beloved rear light
    I'm sure he spoke somewhere about you,.but you'll have to do a social media Google search. :cool:

I figured you were on a bike BM. At Chiparus, I would. Not sure it makes a difference to either group but if it makes any of them second guess and stop the next time, it was worth saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Ahhhhhh the social media 'WhatsBook' generation. Please don't feel he ignored your comment about his beloved rear light
    I'm sure he spoke somewhere about you,.but you'll have to do a social media Google search. :cool:
    that may have made sense in your own head, but i'm scratching mine as to what you mean. if you just wanted to pass what appears to be a snide comment, you may find standards here are a little higher than that, so please try harder in future.

NoNoNoNoNo you've taken my post up the wrong way
    What I meant was:: the op got no reaction from the offending very bright rear red bicycle light owner, when the op pulled him up on it. . And my point was: he may have got no reaction on the side of the road!?!? But I'm sure the bright light 'offender' after processing what just happened..well he probably spoke about it online or in a pm to a friend or something.
    That's all.
    It does happen,. you can get nice quiet non confrontational people on the streets..but inside they may feel aggrieved and just mention it later on.

Would your query be different if you realised I was on a bike? It's fairly typical here of some responses, heckles up immediately if the poster is perceived to be a driver. Negative or defensive, passive aggressive type responses. We do ourselves no favours. Anyhow, I'm sure there will be violent disagreement.

To answer your question, when a car does this, I have often caught up with the car and asked "are you trying to kill someone". So, a similar response with a more appropriate question. Often while shaking with anger, if I have been the one nearly clipped.

I should have gone after her, but I was headed down Highfield, she towards Rathmines, by the time the lights were green she was too far gone for me to bother.
    No not really , chase after someone especially a female , on a bike or other wise to give out to them sounds pretty threatening.

No not really , chase after someone especially a female , on a bike or other wise to give out to them sounds pretty threatening.

He's on a bicycle, he's not the T-1000 from the Terminator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement