Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ya end of your bonnet is about as far ahead as most drivers look. I remember seeing a news clip about a pile up in heavy fog ion the Naas Rd a few years back. they interviewed some wet brain who said it was someones fault (AA road watch, Gubberment) fault for not issuing warnings. I would have thought not being able too see more than 6 feet in front of you was warning enough. But shows the sheer stupidity of some people behind the wheel.

Its like those people who flash you for using fog lights in fog to warn you that your fog lights are on :rolleyes:
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

buffalo wrote: »
    Painted lanes that yield at every side road. I think that's my least favourite cycle track in the city - it's brutal to use.

Had a close-ish one there last night. Driving down Hollybank Road, to turn left at Drumcondra Rd. Heard the loud screech of brakes, so I braked and stopped the car.

A guy on the bike path had spotted me, but was obviously going too fast to yield.
    Bad brakes, no lights, tree canopy making it difficult for me to spot him.

He eventually came to a stop right in front of where I had stopped the car. He looked a little shook up, but we exchanged a wave and smiles.

Glad I had the window down and heard his brakes, or he probably would have gone into the side of me and injured himself.

When the lockdown was heaviest, I was left alone when using the bike. I find cyclists are less noticeable, which honestly can be a problem on our once again crowded roads.

I was waived through three check points when we had the 5k limit. I was well within it though.

As they were also letting people on bleeper bikes through, despite there being no bleeper bike locations within 5k, it seems as though cyclists were pretty much exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

5uspect wrote: »
    Basically the Gardaí can’t see anything wrong with the overtake so I went full CSI.

Was it a local gardai at a station you visited, or did you go via Traffic Watch first?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wore lycra and frequently had 2 bottles on during the 2 and 5k limits, and I never broke either. Good weather, multiple laps, I could be out in the baking sun for a while.

Came across a checkpoint every day, and wasn't stopped once. That said I'd pass them a few times on the one spin so it was obvious I lived near.

What was nice about the 2 and 5k loops was the lack of puncture/mechanical stress. I knew I could make it home if anything drastic happened mechanically. That's about the only positive I can pull from those interminable laps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

one difference between being stopped in a car and stopped on a bike is that you've no legal requirement to carry proof of address on a bike. but you do in a car (in that your driving licence has an address on it).

probably not what the actual reason is, though; the checkpoints were more a PR exercise than an actual policing exercise i suspect.

I think the reasoning was, if they could get most of the people to stay within the limit most of the time, that the exercise would work.

Jaysus I must look dodgy, I was stopped repeatedly on the N11, Shankill, Bray. It became less as time went on and I had my work ID held out for them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Jaysus I must look dodgy, I was stopped repeatedly on the N11, Shankill, Bray. It became less as time went on and I had my work ID held out for them.

I did laps by the N11 checkpoint every day they were there on my laps. Never once stopped!

You must have a very dodgy look to ya Cram :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

eeeee wrote: »
    What was nice about the 2 and 5k loops was the lack of puncture/mechanical stress. I knew I could make it home if anything drastic happened mechanically. That's about the only positive I can pull from those interminable laps!

Also, I have kept using a couple of my 5km loops on days where the weather looks dodgy. Worst case scenario I'm always within 10 minutes of home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I dont know how many checkpoints I went through , I do remember one day on my 2km loop, there were 7 checkpoints, I was stopped at one as the Garda was blocking my way whilst talking to a driver.
    When he noticed my presence after 30/40 seconds, he stepped out of my way, let me pass without a word, then continued with the driver.
    I was probably only stopped about 6/7 times (on the bike) and found most to be very pleasant, 1 Garda had a great conversation about my bike - cost, weight, disc brakes, etc. She then decided to count my laps the next 2 times I passed her.

• Advertisement

My partner had her windscreen sticker they gave her in work to say she was an essential healthcare worker laminated and hung over the stem of her bike on a spare lanyard :D

EDIT: I should be saying wife by now but lock down saw to that. We were due to get married today :(

crosstownk wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that your big day has had to wait. Hopefully it’ll go ahead real soon.

Ah it's no big deal at this stage 12 years into the relationship, it'll be way more fun now with herself and 2 mini princesses that arrived in the intervening years than if we'd got married 10 year ago. I actually wanted the day in the suit more so I think :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Some poor unfortunate soul laid out at the pub in Booterstown, please God it’s nothing serious.

On another note a few days back, some young girl all togged out doing speeds of 40-50 on the same stretch of road. Broke every light. Serious lack of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Weepsie wrote: »
    New Thread, same rules as old thread.

A near miss is something that nearly misses you surely.

Ha yes , glad that wasn't lost on yee here in this thread :pac:

Sorry to hear about your postponed suit day Enfilade. On the upside I can't wait for the stories of the actual nuptials, the Enfilade clan stories are such a joy!
    And like cattle being let out if a shed after winter, post lockdown parties are gonna be awesome :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Not a bike cam, hope that's ok.

Arsehole in the oncoming car tried to overtake on a blind bend with a continuous white line, when he saw me on my side of the road, back in he goes to squeeze past the cyclist.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a hatefully close pass today near the 5 lamps.

I had time to exit my junction and get into the his lane as the approaching cars were a decent distance back.

Car behind pass close enough I could touch it.

However, I decided to give the back a smack. This is not the brightest idea, but especially not when it's an unmarked Garda car being controlled by 2 bullies who keep saying cycle lane and kept basically making up stuff in the RTA.

I acknowledged I shouldn't have slapped the car but I didn't let them off with the dangerous pass. If I can touch a car with out having to extend my arm, you're definitely to close. Seething I didn't have my cameras today.

Bad enough having regular drivers doing it, but gardai I'd expect better from.

Write to Owen Keegan if you've a problem was one of his responses. Complete tosser

Their very sudden stop after too nearly saw me be doored by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had a hatefully close pass today near the 5 lamps.

I had time to exit my junction and get into the his lane as the approaching cars were a decent distance back.

Car behind pass close enough I could touch it.

However, I decided to give the back a smack. This is not the brightest idea, but especially not when it's an unmarked Garda car being controlled by 2 bullies who keep saying cycle lane and kept basically making up stuff in the RTA.

I acknowledged I shouldn't have slapped the car but I didn't let them off with the dangerous pass. If I can touch a car with out having to extend my arm, you're definitely to close. Seething I didn't have my cameras today.

Bad enough having regular drivers doing it, but gardai I'd expect better from.

Write to Owen Keegan if you've a problem was one of his responses. Complete tosser

Their very sudden stop after too nearly saw me be doored by them.

I had the same with Gardai on the Quays recently where there was no cycle lane. A marked car though. ACAB.

Did you get numbers, I'd be reporting them to their super.

• Advertisement

I didn't. I'd lose my composure a little bit, not so much at the pass but then having to brake hard for the way they stopped.

I understand they are very busy, but they were just being bullies.

I've had that twice with unmarked cars.

It's also not the week for quarreling with a Garda

Were they uniformed or plainclothes?

Plain clothes. They even threw in the "we both cycle" line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus what a mess the roads are today compared to lockdown. Worse than commuter rush hour traffic from Cornellscourt out to Bray on a Saturday, Bray completely clogged and not moving, cars everywhere, seafront one giant carpark. All cycle lanes blocked for no reason just cars keeping too far into the left like they never had a driving lesson. Is that peoples idea of a fun Saturday out on a sunny day? Sit in traffic for an hour or two to move 10k on the N11?

I hate the way everyone coming out of a sideroad uses the right hand line of the cycle lane as the stop line so you have to brake, look behind you, pull out into traffic and go around them, or else they stay inching forward so you have to stop because you dont know if they're about to floor it for a gap because they didnt see you. This happened to me about 5 times today in 20k. Shook my head at one slob who did it and she called me a fagg0t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thargor wrote: »
    I hate the way everyone coming out of a sideroad uses the right hand line of the cycle lane as the stop line so you have to brake, look behind you, pull out into traffic and go around them, or else they stay inching forward so you have to stop because you dont know if they're about to floor it for a gap because they didnt see you. This happened to me about 5 times today in 20k. Shook my head at one slob who did it and she called me a fagg0t.

You could try just stopping in front of them for a minute or two, making sure there are no cyclists on your tail.

It's a good way to help them understand the frustration of someone needlessly blocking your path.

I had a couple today.
    I'll post videos if I can upload them. My connection and upload speed is atrocious here.

One fella at Blake's Cross slowed down, came up close to my handlebar and looked at me in the eye (whilst driving) saying how I look like a spa out cycling all the time.

Another man in Swords overtook me dangerously, I caught up with him and pointed to my camera. He demanded to know my name. He said GDPR means I have to give him my name because I have his private registration. He said he'll go to Swords Garda station to get CCTV from the council office to identify me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had a couple today.
    I'll post videos if I can upload them. My connection and upload speed is atrocious here.

One fella at Blake's Cross slowed down, came up close to my handlebar and looked at me in the eye (whilst driving) saying how I look like a spa out cycling all the time.

Another man in Swords overtook me dangerously, I caught up with him and pointed to my camera. He demanded to know my name. He said GDPR means I have to give him my name because I have his private registration. He said he'll go to Swords Garda station to get CCTV from the council office to identify me.
    People are strange.

You should have persuaded yer man to go to the Station immediately, so you could see the reaction of the Gardai on the spot - would have been hilarious.

I remember one guy who insisted on phoning the Gardai in front of me because I had recorded him attempting to go the wrong way on a one-way street.

It was something like this:

Him: I'm here at xxxxx and this terrible cyclist has taken my picture. Surely that's illegal.
    Pause for Garda response.

Him (in dejected tone): "Oh really"
    Me: Badum-tish

For the encore you should have told him he might have have better luck with the DPC and watched him phone them :P

I had the same with Gardai on the Quays recently where there was no cycle lane. A marked car though. ACAB.

Despicable thing to say

short cops only?

Some serving and retired members of AGS post here so maybe they can tell us if it's a requirement when signing up that you have to be born out of wedlock :pac:

• Advertisement

No video. Apologies if screen shots are not permitted.
    My upload speed is atrocious because I am hotsotting my phone.

This man beeped me and tailgated.

He then punishment passed me and the woman in the passenger seat recored me and made a finger gesture. Worth reporting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

He then punishment passed me and the woman in the passenger seat recored me and made a finger gesture. Worth reporting?

Yep. Guards might be interested in the passengers phone footage as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

The Skoda coming the opposite way over to the left skimming the yellow lines as the overtaking car had crossed the continuous white line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Definitely report. Terrible behaviour.

What's the process of reporting?

I'll put my hands up and say I threw the middle finger up after the first beep. That may go against me as it could be on tape.

Doesn't matter, that doesn't excuse an dangerous overtake, on a continuous white line, with oncoming traffic etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I'll put my hands up and say I threw the middle finger up after the first beep. That may go against me as it could be on tape.

Sadly you may be correct, Ireland is great ..civility expected from you in the face of intimidation by a deadly weapon. It shouldn't be anything other than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Like yourself, after reporting, the investigation was turned on me as I shouted a profanity at the driver who passed me within cm of my handlebars.
    Surely an expected reaction?!

Anyway, the investigating Garda told me I could be charged along with the driver for some ridiculous public order offence for swearing... So I dropped it.

Law enforcement here is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Had one in Kilcock on Saturday.

Coming into the village from Maynooth road, a guy exited the Lidl car park as I passed. I yelled, naturally, and the car's nose was maybe 6 inches from my right foot when he stopped.

He followed me - well straightened his car in the road, traffic was stopped ahead - and started roaring out his passenger window "what are you shouting about", and how he was nowhere near me, but was interrupted by a second cyclist passing on his outside telling him off for nearly taking them off the bike when he started moving again to catch up with me.

He started yelling at me again and I said "I have nothing to say to you. I don't want to talk to you. Drive on." and let him go ahead of me.

As far as the line of cars 3 meters away. I pushed up beside him and said "You got very far" and headed up to the lights.

I'm going to have to move my camera over to the new bike, but I honestly thought I'd have more use for them on the commuter.

Like yourself, after reporting, the investigation was turned on me as I shouted a profanity at the driver who passed me within cm of my handlebars.
    Surely an expected reaction?!

Anyway, the investigating Garda told me I could be charged along with the driver for some ridiculous public order offence for swearing... So I dropped it.

Law enforcement here is a joke.

This is one you can't blame the Guards on, I'm afraid. We all do it, I do it myself, but as soon as you utter a profanity the other party has a legitimate public order complaint against you. Same thing happened to me once but I still proceeded and stood over my reaction. In the end my complaint proceeded without any counter-complaint anyway.

There was a poster here a while ago going on endlessly about the same thing happening to him. The reality is though, would you prefer not be told and then to later get a summons out of the blue for a public order offence? Or be warned that it was a distinct possibility in advance and be in a position to make your own call as to how to proceed?

It's far from ideal but that's the reality.

buffalo wrote: »
    I may be mistaken here, but surely a public order offence is a charge brought by the Gardaí and the DPP, rather than the other party? So is it not rather likely here that the Garda taking the complaint is trying to dissuade the complainant from proceeding to save some work for an offence the Garda may not believe to be significant?

And - as shown by your case - if the complainant proceeds, the Garda doesn't bother with the public order offence because it's only an idle threat that hasn't succeeded?

Not necessarily. I made a complaint against a driver and submitted video footage. The Guard viewed it and rang me to note that I had used profanities and just to beware that, when he went to speak to the driver, he could state that he refuted my allegation and furthermore that I swore at him and he was deeply offended.

He was marking my card and I thought that was fair enough. I stated that I still wished to proceed and that I would stand over my language and why I had used it. As it turned out the driver didn't make a complaint, was fined and received points. Had he made a counter-complaint I'd have still proceeded so I guess it depends on what level of conviction you have when you make the complaint really.

Personally I'd prefer be warned of the potential pitfalls in advance rather than blame the Guard for not having told me beforehand when I subsequently receive a summons.

• Advertisement

Could you imagine going to court on that charge? How do you plead in the case of the state vs you on the charge of swearing at someone who was endangering your life?

You'd want to have a pretty ****ty solicitor to take a conviction on that one :D

I'm considering ringing traffic watch this evening. I just have a few concerns:
    • I gave my middle finger when I was beeped. This might go against me.
    • I was swerving a bit because of a gust and I was going uphill and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. Someone on the motors forum said there was a recent precident that allows cyclists with driving licences to get points for transgressions on bikes. If they embellish their story, I could end up with points. There was a cyclist who broke a red light and went up on a windscreen and the judge revoked his driving licence.

Does it take long to get through to traffic watch?

Will they ask for a memory stick?

Will it be returned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Could you imagine going to court on that charge? How do you plead in the case of the state vs you on the charge of swearing at someone who was endangering your life?

You'd want to have a pretty ****ty solicitor to take a conviction on that one :D

Judge: "Did you indeed call the Plaintiff a stupid c#!t?"

Defendant: "I did indeed, Your Honour - but, to be fair, all evidence I had at the time pointed to the fact that he is indeed a stupid c#!t"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some Gardai have told reporters that its dropped due to cursing. The finger might be like that. Others, myself included, have had it not be an issue.

Time - depends a lot on the gard and their shift. If theyre on nights itll be a few weeks before they look at it

Files - depends on the gard. Some take dropbox/drive, some want a DVD

Dunno

IMHO if its not a really cut and dry case I don't bother reporting because Gardai often look for any excuse not to issue an FCPN as they really dont want to deal with a court date if the other side rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bot1

Driving up to Cruagh last Sunday morning for a hike.
    It was busy with cyclists (as you'd expect).
    Driver behind me (Taxi livery) was losing his mind with being slightly delayed.

Next thing he attempts this https://streamable.com/nqv9ug

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

Ridiculous disregard for the safety of others!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bot1

Jesus tonight, that's one of the worst I've seen on here. Did you report, that guys needs a driving ban

Not yet.
    How would I go about doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

If the Guards are not prepared to prosecute based on that video then we may as well give up and close this thread and dump all our dashcams and GoPro's etc.. that is absolutely criminal and he should be done for reckless driving. It just demonstrates that lockdown has done nothing to make idiots like this calm down and just relax on the road. His number plate is clearly visible.. he is breaking about 3 or 4 laws in that one move.

Looking again... he didn't even brake when other car arrived and likely kept on going past the cyclists. Absolutely crazy driving.

OP.. you could setup a YouTube channel and I think you would probably have a nice new bike bought for yourself with the ad revenue alone from that video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Bot1 wrote: »

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

What a small world, I used to live up that way and know who exactly that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not yet.

Go to your nearest Garda Station with your phone and show em the video. It's a high res vid so the reg is clearly legible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wow, that's the worse bit of downright dangerous driving I've seen in a while.
    Not yet.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Go to your nearest Garda Station with your phone and show em the video. It's a high res vid so the reg is clearly legible.

Might be worth going via traffic watch. I imagine each station has a garda assigned to looking after this stuff that comes through traffic watch, you could be taking your chances with whoever you deal with at the public desk at the station. I guess it'll be either Tallaght or Rathfarnham station dealing with that area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement