Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Deadline (nearly aptly named) delivery driver didn't notice that I was in the left lane before they decided to change lane to turn onto Whitworth road

Spotted him in his phone after too.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your microphone is of exceptional quality Seth

lol we need a highlight reel of Seth swears at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Took a spin down towards Naas and on my home came across this driver (who was way more important that anyone else) on my way into Sallins (watch the oncoming VW Golf slow down and I think) move left to let the impatient driver past)...
    https://streamable.com/i1iia0

...and this driver just a bit N of the Blue Door...
    https://streamable.com/foxp74

Both on solid white lines :rolleyes:

Genuine question - what's the point in having cycle lanes if vehicles can't drive beside them in their own lane with a 1.5m clearance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

VonLuck wrote: »
    Genuine question - what's the point in having cycle lanes if vehicles can't drive beside them in their own lane with a 1.5m clearance?

Cynical viewpoint is that is a bit if a box checking excercise. You get all sorts of EU Cash for putting in this sort of infrastructure, no matter how half arsed it is (ie a crappy line down a road not wide enough).

Slightly less cynical - it might just alert some people to their being cyclists on the road? idk?

In reality tho it enforces the viewpoint of separation (cyclists are not pay off traffic) but not actually separating them and thus making things less safe.

It also gives the illusion of more space available,* encouraging drivers to attempt all sorts of woefully dangerous manoeuvres.

(*Drivers like this one should cop on and be aware of the general dimensions of their vehicles and use their eyes to look at the actual space available and not assume...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hilarious, but also shows how stressful cycling can be when all those close calls are the experience of a single cyclist. It could genuinely be a good RSA ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I went to the Garda station yesterday after reporting a close pass on 23rd June.
    I was called in.

I made a written statement and said I'm happy to take no further action. Garda was a gentleman. He cycles himself. He said whenever he doesn't have his Garda sash on his bike motorists are visibly more reckless.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    If you went to the trouble of making a report, followed by a written statement, how come you're happy to now go no further? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the process and the credence accorded us by AGS?

Should've been clearer. Apologies.
    He took a written statement and he said he'll caution the driver but he asked me if I'd be willing to go to court so the driver can be punished, I declined.
    Everyone makes mistakes. I was furious at the time but I'd feel guilty if the person relied on their licence for work and I have them points.

I just want them to learn a lesson. A Garda caution is sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".
    I've had a few of these on Belmont Ave in Donnybrook, with a line of parked cars on one side narrowing the road. It's funny how many drivers think it's OK to keep driving towards a cyclist, because yerra it's just a cyclist.

I had one a couple of weeks ago, when I held my position, slowed and stopped, so the oncoming lady had to stopped. Then she started moving off and hit her wing mirror off my handlebar. She then told me that was my fault. When I pointed out that I was stationary while she was moving at the time, she called me a 'w-anker' and drove off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He took a written statement and he said he'll caution the driver but he asked me if I'd be willing to go to court so the driver can be punished, I declined.
    Everyone makes mistakes. I was furious at the time but I'd feel guilty if the person relied on their licence for work and I have them points.

You'd only need to go to court if the driver contested the charge. I've had enough close/punishment/dick passes and intimidation that unless it's obviously a mistake and they hold their hand up to it at the time then I wouldn't accept an apology or a slap on the hand for them because they're only apologising for being caught.

• Advertisement

A caution the driver might not get, Gardai are overworked and this could fall to the bottom of the pile. If the driver needs their vehicle, two things. First, they shouldn't have been a bellend. Two, if they accept it, they won't lose their license unless they've already had several other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Near miss today when some dope turned in on top of me as I was heading straight in the cycle lane. Waiting at the lights right next to him, he had no indicator on or anything, absolutely ridiculous.

And he then had the audacity to beep and swear at *me* as he nearly ran over me.

Some serious jokers on our roads. Very much back to normal unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bronkobilly

or cyclists flying through red lights if we can see its a red light why can t a cyclist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

or cyclists flying through red lights if we can see its a red light why can t a cyclist

Ask in the motoring thread, I presume that's the we you're on about. The motorist the one road user that never runs a red!!

Hahahaha ah haahah hahaaa haha

That cheered me up, thanks buddy!

Ask in the motoring thread, I presume that's the we you're on about. The motorist the one road user that never runs a red!!

Or maybe the aviation forum? Pilots have good eyesight, maybe that's the 'we'?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

Went out for a little local bike ride with MrsD this afternoon, and my my, the loons were out.

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".

Honestly, I think they're giving away driving licences on the backs of Weetabix boxes at this stage.

very disappointing to read this. Thought it was mainly a german trait (ok, i suspected my brain is stuck in about the 80's, I think people were less materialistic and more decent then). plenty of cars coming against me with parked cars on their side, won't wait until i pass but continue to drive at 50kh and give me inches of free play room on my bike.

The odd person who waits or slows down (slowing down takes nearly all of the risk out of it) gets a hand wave or nod from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

can see where you're coming from, i do this myself and i do as a pedestrian waiting at traffic lights. if I can see there is nothing coming and it's 'safe' then i might do it . I don't do it in cars because it's not the done thing in any situation. Don't want to get into arguments with people but mainly if i ever get it wrong, in my 2/300kg car, i'm liable to do some serious damage to someone/myself. This is far less likely on a bike or walking across the road. having said all that, i am moving towards taking all risk out and waiting at traffic lights no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who's the 'we' you're referring to in this situation;

• Advertisement

I was driving at Blake's Cross coming from Lusk. There was a girl cycling on front of me. I kept my distance and overtook as I reached the two lane part of the R132.

A piss artist undertook me and squuzed past.

Blake's cross is dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Driving on the N22 Macroom to Cork road last Sunday just past the Garda Station I could see two Cyclists on the hard shoulder, as I approached I indicated out going over the white line in the middle of the road as I'm driving a Truck and one of them wobbled out into the driving lane!

He definitely came out over 3 feet I couldn't believe he done it, if I hadn't went out so far he was mince meat! I always keep well out as the truck is heavily branded and the last thing I want is to end up on YouTube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

5uspect wrote: »
    Which is precisely why you should give cyclists at least as much room as if you’re overtaking a car. Fair play to you, not all drivers seem to get this.

I suppose being a Cyclist helps...:)

I always maintain though every driver should be made cycle so they can see the danger's. A lot of driver's including professional keep too close and no need of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Truckermal wrote: »
    Driving on the N22 Macroom to Cork road last Sunday just past the Garda Station I could see two Cyclists on the hard shoulder, as I approached I indicated out going over the white line in the middle of the road as I'm driving a Truck and one of them wobbled out into the driving lane!

He definitely came out over 3 feet I couldn't believe he done it, if I hadn't went out so far he was mince meat! I always keep well out as the truck is heavily branded and the last thing I want is to end up on YouTube!

Fair play to you, we need more like you on the road.
    About 40 years ago, I did an advanced driving course. One of the things my instructor told me was to treat every cyclist as if they were about to wobble. One day, he said, they will (wobble).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Had my first near miss this morning and it has shaken the confidence a little, not long cycling but really starting to enjoy the long rides on a Sunday morning.
    Was on a wide road this morning little or no traffic when a SUV Came close enough for wing mirror to clip handlebar... frightened the **** out of me.
    The road had a single white line and driver obviously didn’t want to go over the line even though no on coming traffic and could have safely over taken me like other cars did on same road, and it wasn’t like my road postion was bad or anything.. not sure he/she even seen me to be honest.

harr wrote: »
    Had my first near miss this morning and it has shaken the confidence a little, not long cycling but really starting to enjoy the long rides on a Sunday morning.
    Was on a wide road this morning little or no traffic when a SUV Came close enough for wing mirror to clip handlebar... frightened the **** out of me.
    The road had a single white line and driver obviously didn’t want to go over the line even though no on coming traffic and could have safely over taken me like other cars did on same road, and it wasn’t like my road postion was bad or anything.. not sure he/she even seen me to be honest.

It happened me too.
    That's why I have a bike camera. I got an excellent quality one for 40€ that's water proof and records in 1080.

Take the lane in future and cycle in the middle of the lane. That forces drivers to overtake properly.and allows room to swing left if you are in danger.

Don't be afraid to report it to the Gardaí if contact is made. If you clipped someone's wing mirror you can be damn sure a claim would be filed.

Don't let these piss artists out you off cycling. It's a wonderful and liberating hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It happened me too.
    That's why I have a bike camera. I got an excellent quality one for 40€ that's water proof and records in 1080.

Take the lane in future and cycle in the middle of the lane. That forces drivers to overtake properly.and allows room to swing left if you are in danger.

Don't be afraid to report it to the Gardaí if contact is made. If you clipped someone's wing mirror you can be damn sure a claim would be filed.

Don't let these piss artists out you off cycling. It's a wonderful and liberating hobby.

Thanks for the advice, it definitely was kind of unsettling and yes I probably should be riding out a bit any pull left this morning and I was in the ditch.

harr wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, it definitely was kind of unsettling and yes I probably should be riding out a bit any pull left this morning and I was in the ditch.

It's unnerving when it happens, but don't let it put you off. Get back on the back, be as assertive as you need to be (without being aggressive with it!) and your general bike handling skills and confidence will continue to rise. Just keep an eye out for muppetry and keep checking places like this for any advice or questions on how to handle a situation.

Hope you are ok and you will have many happy miles ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

On Saturday afternoon, a "professional" driver tried to run me off the road here, let a roar at him as he passed me by, I couldn't make out what he was saying but no doubt he was trying to justify his actions.

Time to get a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Time to get a cam, lads!

I had my share of near miss today. Quiet country road, bit narrower than usual, that's why no white line in the middle. Bend is a right hander, if leaving the village, a tricky left hander if coming into, long enough straight inclination to gain some speed without pushing your vehicle.
    I was about to start my turn and there was suddenly this 7.5t truck coming wide, making the left turn abd appeared to slipping towards me in a full swing. The only thing I knew that I was preparing myself for the contact, got onto a grassy shoulder, lost my grip and swung into a ditch, with mud and water at the bottom. While I was making the tumble, I thought the truck would make noise hitting the ditch well, but it's never happened. Ended up with soaked, muddy bottom. Got out of the ditch and was grateful being alive!
    To my luck, 10 mins later one of my workmate was passing me, finishing his spin and recognised me. He lives nearby, so the problen of cleaning up a bit and getting home was sorted, thank God!
    I have a bit of scratches, bruises here and there, and a strained back where I took impact. Could've been worse but I have to watch my every move because it hurts if I put it under load.

Mind yourselves out there and safe home all the time!

I should read the signs lately: roads are busy, had few 'I was not seen' misses lately despite having a defensive aproach on my spin. One thing for certain: there are more than usual 'mad' drivers on the road lately.
    A 25500 km trouble free road cycling has ended today. :-((

Bloody Eir van followed a car overtaking on a solid white line. now he gave space but the reason for the white line is that there is a bend that fairly obstructs the view. Anyway, halfway in, he meets cars and a squad car coming and pulls in on me. Thankfully I was able to slam on. He then ran a red where a family were starting to cross. Caught up with him in Bray, laughing to himself as he watched videos on his phone while moving in traffic. I just went on as I was not going to come across as reasonable if I went up to him.

• Advertisement

That 'follow the leader' sh*te is all too common on Irish roads. First car does a perfectly safe overtake, but they get followed blindly by 3 or 4 gobsh*tes regardless of whats on the road ahead.

The family at the red light gave me more of a scare than the Van nearly crushing me, he seen the red as he sped up into it. It was insanity, more and more common to see cars not only running reds but accelerating hard into a red that they had not just ample time but substantial time to slow and stop at. I was driving in today and coming to a red, about 150m away, decelerating and a car in the lane beside me, who was behind me put the foot down and went straight through. It has been red so long that by the time I reached it, it had went green again. Novice plate driver who only managed to get 50 m further than me until they turned off a few km down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who's the 'we' you're referring to in this situation;

And we know that all car drivers also speed and are drunk when driving :P

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

About 2 years ago my commute in London ended on a 2 lane few hundred metre road that always had some Uber taxis parked on the opposite side to me. The oncoming traffic would always try squeeze past me and run me onto the path so after a few weeks I always took the road in the middle of my lane and would get chronic abuse despite the obstruction being on their side

I wouldn't necessarily be so militant about making them wait, only the same people seem to have no understanding of the need to even slow their sleep as they pass so as to prioritise your safety in a narrow situation. They generally want to storm past closely without adjusting their speed in the slightest, which is something I'm not prepared to tolerate, especially when I have any of my family with me.

If I am already half way through the obstructed area they should wait and same the other way around. I should have pointed out this was late at night so its only a car or two not streams of traffic

it takes a lot to smash a car window.
    - wing mirrors tho - they pop right off :D

Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window. Something with a pointed corner e.g. the end of a spark plug is more likely to quickly break the glass but you're unlikely to succeed if throwing it
    Having lightly tapped a Santa Fe rear window, I respectfully disagree.
    kenmm wrote: »
    - wing mirrors tho - they pop right off :D

I know alot of the newer ones just bend back. I mean, I think, I suspect, I don't know, what are you accusing me off.

CramCycle wrote: »

I know alot of the newer ones just bend back. I mean, I think, I suspect, I don't know, what are you accusing me off.

On the forward-back plane they do alright. Vertical plane is a lot different. apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Not sure if I could have stopped in time, screamed and he stopped- sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Luas crashes, some silly mistakes by cyclists here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/luas-accidents-warning-5157839-Jul2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Advertisement

Who'd be a luas driver with how red lights are seen in this country ? Red light? Sure that just means time for 2 more cars, 3 if the last one floors it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

hesker wrote: »
    I fantasise afterwards that if I had a hammer in my hand I would have flung it through his window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdQw9dGrAEU

This happened in Drogheda a few years ago. A local hero tried to throw a rock through the window of a Mercedes. He knocked himself unconscious. Alarm on car was set off, owner heard it, went out to investigate and found yer man on the ground.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdQw9dGrAEU

This happened in Drogheda a few years ago. A local hero tried to throw a rock through the window of a Mercedes. He knocked himself unconscious. Alarm on car was set off, owner heard it, went out to investigate and found yer man on the ground.

I'll not be able to pass there with a straight face for a while :D

How long before there's a near miss on this wonderful piece of infrastructure?

https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1286320588911501312?s=19

They also just put a new lane over Shannon bridge in Limerick which is really good except they have barriers at either end making it hard to actually get on them

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I'll play devils advocate and say you're (probably?) more likely to be killed by a tram if you're a pedestrian/cyclist than in a car... but yeah not a representative selection.

I wonder is that true though, not sure if there have been any deaths or enough to do an analysis but hear me out. The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional. Bar a dead on collision where the driver keeps going, I'd actually prefer to be a pedestrian who hopefully bounces off rather than a car where i am pinned in and nowhere to go. This is obviously dependent on the fact that I am still reasonably fit and would also vary on collision to collision.
    TLDR, your almost certainly more likely to be killed as a pedestrian or cyclist in a set up scenario but in real life, day to day collisions, I wonder would the risks if analysed concur with that assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Haven't managed to get out in a few weeks and main a point of it today, I see all the progress during lockdown has been reversed around here at least.

All within 15 mins of each other

These need no explanation

https://streamable.com/na158f
    https://streamable.com/cblolz

A little hard to see the black car almost takes out the guy on the bike and pushes him towards oncoming traffic.
    https://streamable.com/6paw5c

Love his response when he catches up to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thought it was better than my f's sakes alright so left it in. The driver seemed oblivious probably thinking fupping cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

The standard of driving at that junction is always horrendous. No observation of priority, just bull out into the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭doughef

tnegun wrote: »
    Haven't managed to get out in a few weeks and main a point of it today, I see all the progress during lockdown has been reversed around here at least.

All within 15 mins of each other

These need no explanation

https://streamable.com/na158f
    https://streamable.com/cblolz

Do you go looking for trouble ?

1st one - you were over taking the other cyclist and in the middle of the road
    2nd one - way out past the yellow line, again in the road.
    Van driver was dead right

Advertisement