Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

kenmm wrote: »
    By the cyclists own admission, that didn't happen. No one was caught out, it was foreseen.

It can't be both a case of being fully observant AND being caught out completely unaware.

I am not "blaming" anyone, Its not an us Vs them situation. I only (originally) asked if it was wise to be in the blind spot at an obviously bad time (hesitant driver, busy road, etc). I don't know why this has caused so much resentment?

EDIT II: Remember - I originally posed the question on the back of a new person being worried at the amount of clips that show how dangerous cycling can be. One way to increase safety is by being aware of such situations. AJR was aware of this situation and proceeded anyway. A novice may not have been so aware and therefore it's wise to point out that proceeding blindly (AJR Didn't proceed blindly) isn't the only option and sometimes holding back in order to merge (as a merging would have to have happened due to the illegally parked car up ahead, another point no one seemed to care about - i.e. if the van was going to continue as would be implied by the lack of indication, a merge would happen. If it was me at that point, I would have merged behind the van, passed the junction and parked car and then sprinted off into the sunset, no issues all happy).

Again - this whole incident was a non-event, but looks worse. The guy made a mistake and instantly put his hand up. The consequences could have been much worse, but they could have passed with less of an incident as well.

The only blind spot arose from his failure to look in his mirrors.
    not sure i'd agree with that assessment? i disagree with some of the conclusions made by other posters (yourself included - what drew me in was the 'don't gesture at motorists' comment), but that doesn't mean there's not a debate to be had.
    The gesture was an opening/closing hand, to indicate that he needs to use his indicators. Whether he got that subtle message or not, I can't be sure.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Whether he got that subtle message or not, I can't be sure.

Considering he immediately apologised when he seen you/ realised what he had done, what do you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Lets leave the discussion there on who should or shouldn't do what, both sides have valid points, the van driver apologised immediately and hopefully will be more careful in future. Cycling is not dangerous and readers should be aware that these incidents are a small snippet into what is statistically a very safe commute. Lets leave it there. Any questions PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was on the Howth road earlier, heading into town. Approaching the junction with Copeland Ave.
    There was a car waiting to turn right onto Copeland Avenue.
    About 100m before this I was passed by a drunk driver. Left side mirror turned in, so I know she wasn't using it.
    She was now stationary behind the car waiting to turn right. She then made a quick move left, without indicating, into the cycle lane.
    I was able to manoeuvre around her to the right, and back in to the cycle lane ahead of her.
    She then barrelled down the road, took an illegal right turn further down, and preceded to drive along in the bus lane from fairview to north strand with her left indicator on the whole time.

Direct hit this morning. Cycling through Dún Laoghaire shortly after 7 am. A bee came out of nowhere, didn’t indicate, and flew straight into my mouth and immediately stung me on the lip.
    Swelled up straight away and extremely painful!
    Bee kept going but I pulled the venom sack and stinger out so she’s probably dead by now.

Effects wrote: »
    Direct hit this morning. Cycling through Dún Laoghaire shortly after 7 am. A bee came out of nowhere, didn’t indicate, and flew straight into my mouth and immediately stung me on the lip.
    Swelled up straight away and extremely painful!
    Bee kept going but I pulled the venom sack and stinger out so she’s probably dead by now.

You really should have been wearing a helmet. I don't understand why cyclists won't take responsibility for their own safety.

beekeeping-protective-clothing-helmet-and-veil_2000x.jpg?v=1510025655

Funny thing is that I'm actually a beekeeper! First time I've been stung on the lip though. I was stung on the ear a few years ago, and that comes in second for most painful stings I've had. Anywhere else is usually fine, even around the eye, which swells up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ah stop. First time back on the bike in a while. Only a few minutes from my house on a sunday morning. Cycling along the cycle lane, but a motorist had decided to park his car, straddling both the cycle lane and pedestrian lane - nothing was getting past. I bunny hopped down and would have given him a shake of the head as I passed, but not content with parking on the cycle lane, he also nearly doored me when he swung his door open as I was passing. Happened here:

https://goo.gl/maps/W4GsfWxt46joxwqz8

"not a great place to park, you nearly doored me there" says I. He was like a primed fuse. "Well where the fcuk am I meant to park". "well not on a cycle lane anyway". at this point, I decided to disengage, as I see if over an above my call of duty to find parking for motorists who couldn't be arsed to find it themselves. A torrent of abuse followed as I waited at the red light " you fcucking cyclists, rabble, rabble". I cycled off shaking my head - I mean, he's committed a few offences with his sh!tty parking but it;s somehow my problem?

Incidentally, there are three parking spots, all within a 30 second to one minute walk away. here https://goo.gl/maps/6czDARicVugfK4S56, here https://goo.gl/maps/cwbHHGoeLVGdGDsx7 and here https://goo.gl/maps/T4j1ZPf4YaW4cHDs6. The last one the council kindly took away a few football pitches to facilitate the chronic antisocial parking on the porterstown road.

Remind me again why we don't use cycle lanes?

I got the impression from his carry on that he'd deliberately set up a confrontation. You've got to wonder what's between these tools ears on a Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't for the life of me see why anyone would stop there, let alone park there? Yet it happened to be there before. There's a car park what 2 mins away where mochtas play some games

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can't for the life of me see why anyone would stop there, let alone park there? Yet it happened to be there before. There's a car park what 2 mins away where mochtas play some games

I know. A few hundred metres. How lazy are some people?

Ouch, hopefully no lasting injuries..

I bet that's at the crossing of n strand road/ Amiens st- used the new path a couple of times, but people fly through that crossing.

ye - fast road and on the crest of the bridge - I hit it a couple of time on Amber and just waited for the next sequence. Last time I stopped there was another cyclist using the road that nearly took me out with a massive back pack! Time before a bus was tipping along and no way was stopping..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Don't know why they didn't try go under the bridge there like the rest, probably wasn't feasible but would've been so much better if they had got it to work somehow.

buffalo wrote: »
    From the structure in the background of the pic, it's more likely to be Sheriff Street Upper:

https://goo.gl/maps/sbtaQLLQM9DxLT919

edit: from memory, the problem here is that the crossing isn't synchronised with the junction, which is very close by. So drivers coming around the corner aren't looking for another set of lights so soon. It would be better if they all went red together.

Yep you are right, on all counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

daragh_ wrote: »
    Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

Had a guy overtake me last night despite oncoming traffic and sandwiched me in between himself and the parked cars to my left.

But what really annoyed me was this was 5 seconds before a set of red lights that we both spent the next few minutes sitting patiently at anyway

Had a Merc Van pull across me at a junction, I was going through the junction at about 35kmph, just behind a van that was doing 40kmph. Van pulled through in the braking space and I had to slam on and swerve right. Driver didn't hear me, look or acknowledge. Thankfully the Taxi behind me had also got the courtesy to leave braking space. Looks like we are back to school run madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

dPCiWF.jpg

That second pic looks like a poo-pants moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

you must not cross the white line.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

equally, you are not allowed dangerously overtake.

It's like a dream to me, But I think I read, that, the relevant section there had been amended, but obviously I can't find it now.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling there are exceptions where safe to do so but I too can't find it. Something along the lines of an "obstruction". Memory tells me that it must actually be an obstruction i.e. a moving cyclist or tractor wouldn't count, and even if a solicitor could argue it did, it must be clear and safe to do so i.e. unlikely on a solid white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

From memory I think that's about right. IIRC there's even a speed below which you can overtake, something in the region of 25kmh. But my memory may be shaky on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭standardg60

Blanchy90 wrote: »

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.
    I had to correct a guard once who thought it was fine to proceed straight from the right hand lane on a single lane roundabout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.

There is though. Otherwise we'd spend a lot of time waiting behind the likes of bin lorries etc

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

Weepsie wrote: »
    5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

Ye to me an obstruction to traffic is a fallen tree, broken down car etc.

Peds get a special mention, fair enough.

Cyclists aren't an obstruction to traffic, they ARE traffic- so I fail to see what discretion items needed, fairly clear cut tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

TheChizler wrote: »
    If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

Same. Some situations it would be mad for a car to sit behind a cyclist where it is perfectly safe to overtake.

TheChizler wrote: »

ye - I'd even cautiously wave someone on if I was absolutely sure I could see clear in all directions (but can be risky if you cant and end up leading to an accident..)

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd never wave anyone on, unless I was pulling in. If it's that clear and safe, they should be able to see themselves.

I've had it happen in the past where I've waved on traffic and it turns out there's a coach and they can't accelerate quickly enough to be safe. You don't want to be responsible for indicating to a driver to do something that leads to an accident.

yep - and especially with dash cams etc - I don't recommend it. But I still do it from time to time. Or give a clear slowing down to let someone overtake if they are being a pain in the ar3e behind me.

Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

You've a virtual zero chance of it being enforced here. Cameras pretty common in London for bus lanes abusers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im yet to go for a cycle and not have a near miss. Im not doing big distance - today was a little over 50km and that's pretty normal, i am yet to cycle 100km this year.

Todays incidents were a double decker bus deciding we should share the bike lane and taking over half of it as is was in it - Dedicated bike lane not a shared one. (I was in yellow jacket, lights front and back)
    Second one was a car zipping by on a country road going within 10 inches of me. Plenty of room on the other side of the road, no car coming against them

Last time I was out a car pulled out of a driveway and I got me some bumper to the leg, managed to stay upright but only just.

Out of interest is my experience normal? Does every regular cyclist have an average of one 'near miss' per spin? Or should I change my routes / behaviour / approach - not than I'm sure it really possible!

Im yet to go for a cycle and not have a near miss. Im not doing big distance - today was a little over 50km and that's pretty normal, i am yet to cycle 100km this year.

Todays incidents were a double decker bus deciding we should share the bike lane and taking over half of it as is was in it - Dedicated bike lane not a shared one. (I was in yellow jacket, lights front and back)
    Second one was a car zipping by on a country road going within 10 inches of me. Plenty of room on the other side of the road, no car coming against them

Last time I was out a car pulled out of a driveway and I got me some bumper to the leg, managed to stay upright but only just.

Out of interest is my experience normal? Does every regular cyclist have an average of one 'near miss' per spin? Or should I change my routes / behaviour / approach - not than I'm sure it really possible!

I have a 10 min commute each way 5 days a week and one 50km spin and probably have 1 or 2 dodgy overtakes a week and have rarely been in a collision in 10 yrs and I'm not one to back down in traffic

So far this week my only issue was a taxi driver pulled parallel to me in a bike space at traffic lights so I moved up a bit and he followed me and every time I moved up he followed until we were both right at the pedestrian crossing line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got out for a spin a lunch today left hook so I followed to remonstrate with the driver as they were on the phone too! https://streamable.com/mlnii7 not smart but was in the heat of the moment etc.

Then met what must be some relation of that driver further down the road in his tractor he had a phone or something in his hand too and saw me late couldn't stop and barely gave me room https://streamable.com/0sjm3t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I have a 10 min commute each way 5 days a week and one 50km spin and probably have 1 or 2 dodgy overtakes a week and have rarely been in a collision in 10 yrs and I'm not one to back down in traffic

So far this week my only issue was a taxi driver pulled parallel to me in a bike space at traffic lights so I moved up a bit and he followed me and every time I moved up he followed until we were both right at the pedestrian crossing line

I suppose it’s hardly a surprise, I drive everyday on a pretty short commute to work and it’s rare not to see a driver doing something dangerous / unnecessary / impatient etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

tnegun wrote: »
    Got out for a spin a lunch today left hook so I followed to remonstrate with the driver as they were on the phone too! https://streamable.com/mlnii7 not smart but was in the heat of the moment etc.

Then met what must be some relation of that driver further down the road in his tractor he had a phone or something in his hand too and saw me late couldn't stop and barely gave me room https://streamable.com/0sjm3t

With the first clip.....you weren't actually turning left but had to due car cutting across your path?

• Advertisement

I suppose it’s hardly a surprise, I drive everyday on a pretty short commute to work and it’s rare not to see a driver doing something dangerous / unnecessary / impatient etc etc

The way he was purposely playing chicken with me was pathetic. I got out ahead when the lights went green and normally would have no problems keeping left and letting someone past but after that I kept my lane as I was going right at the next set of turns

Did you catch the driver?

micar wrote: »
    With the first clip.....you weren't actually turning left but had to due car cutting across your path?

I was going to continue straight and pulled left when he pulled in and decided to follow.

Did you catch the driver?

No they floored it after that I hadn't a hope of catching him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The first one is disgraceful.

The second one, whilst scary to see a big vehicle on the road, there are a limited amount of places the tractor can go on that road. It looks like you were surprised to see each other. Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

One skim today on the Malahide road by a guy with his kids in the car to get 100yds to the next tailback. Started shouting that I was all over the road......

Also 3 dangerous overtakes into oncoming traffic. Oncoming cars beeping / having to slow down etc. I wouldn't mind, i wasnt exactly hanging around.

eeeee wrote: »
    The first one is disgraceful.

The second one, whilst scary to see a big vehicle on the road, there are a limited amount of places the tractor can go on that road. It looks like you were surprised to see each other. Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.

I hear you on the no where to go and probably more absent minded than malicious but he was way too fast around that bend and I was a bit hyped after the left hook a few mins earlier :o

• Advertisement

Tis that tractor time of year. Had a pair of young bucks coming towards me the other evening pulling a trailer of bales with a phone to the ear of the driver. Nowhere near as narrow as that video as it was a main rd but still boiled my piss as the potential for carnage had they to as much as swerve or break hard with that load :mad:

eeeee wrote: »
    Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.
    I hear you on the no where to go and probably more absent minded than malicious but he was way too fast around that bend and I was a bit hyped after the left hook a few mins earlier :o

Its very rare that dangerous driving is malicious but he was way too fast, and I'd sooner someone explained to him the reasons rather than him find out the hard way. The main issue with modern tractors is that people are still taught to drive them like they are old tractors. My 135 would top out at 30kmph on a downhill. Modern tractors can top out at north of 60kmph without issue, many alot faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

He was in such a hurry to get around you that he actually ended up on the wrong side of the road!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Down at the luas stop at Belgard.

Cyclists in the cycle lane goes thru red light, car with green light almost hits him. Not sure how they didnt.
    Son(7) says car is wrong as cyclists allow to break red lights in cycle lane.

Then 5 mins later, the car breaks red light. Son was right on that one.

People must be color blind these days

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

stupid passes seem to be getting more common recently

Cars are even beeping and getting annoyed at other motorists who *aren't* dangerously cutting left on cyclists going straight. Seeing this more and more on the roads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement