Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

Breezer wrote: »
    That cycle lane is madness. I was nearly knocked off years ago on the equally bad other side of the road, by someone driving exactly like that.

I take the lane there now, or deviate through the park (it’s not my commute; I tend to meander out that way on a weekend). Not sure that a**hole would even have seen someone taking the lane at the speed he was going!

It’s supposedly a QBC. Why it hasn’t got some form of CCTV monitoring is daft.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

5uspect wrote: »
    I live just around the corner. Lots of people cycle and stroll along that road. We bring our children down there in the cargo bike regularly.

My god I don't even want to imagine yee meeting that on the cargo :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got practically forced off the road by an oncoming Landcruiser on the way home from work this afternoon, they were swerving around the "pedestrian area, no cars" sign blocking their lane and decided they were more entitled to the side of the road I was on than I was. Didn't realise they weren't turning right until the last second and I kind of just automatically moved of the way but I got progresively more annoyed until I got home. It's widely known that the marina in Cork is closed to traffic and they thought nothing of forcing a more vulnerable road user out of the way so they wouldn't have to slow down.

Should I ring Traffic Watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

very aggressive in my opinion, he definately should have slowed and waited till you passed. Not a great feeling having 4000kg coming at you at 60kmh. I'd report him @righttobikeit is on twitter and from cork , he'll advise you on how best to go about it. I assume having the licence number is key as well as the video above. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got practically forced off the road by an oncoming Landcruiser on the way home from work this afternoon, they were swerving around the "pedestrian area, no cars" sign blocking their lane and decided they were more entitled to the side of the road I was on than I was. Didn't realise they weren't turning right until the last second and I kind of just automatically moved of the way but I got progresively more annoyed until I got home. It's widely known that the marina in Cork is closed to traffic and they thought nothing of forcing a more vulnerable road user out of the way so they wouldn't have to slow down.

Should I ring Traffic Watch?

Was he even allowed drive down that road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was he even allowed drive down that road?

There's local access to a rowing club so I guess he could claim he was going there. He certainly wasn't allowed drive through me to get there...

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's local access to a rowing club so I guess he could claim he was going there. He certainly wasn't allowed drive through me to get there...

Typical my road everyone else need to get out of my way crap. I bet even if there was no road space to your left he would have done it anyway

I’d hate to see the quality of the bus that fits in that corridor! The bus lane, without the cycle lane bit, is about a metre wide at some points. They’ve actually altered the “Lána Bus” markings to make them fit. It’s like they’ve been skewed in Microsoft Paint or something.

it is a good example of the council claiming to have built a cycle lane, when in fact all they have done is paint a line down the road.
    Does any QBC have CCTV monitoring?

not that I am aware of. That one would be a good place to start as it is rare to drive or cycle along there at busy times and not see people skipping up the bus lane.

There's probably something stopping it being done like "I have my rights" or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

very aggressive in my opinion, he definately should have slowed and waited till you passed. Not a great feeling having 4000kg coming at you at 60kmh. I'd report him @righttobikeit is on twitter and from cork , he'll advise you on how best to go about it. I assume having the licence number is key as well as the video above. good luck

@righttobikeit seems to have better responses from Cork gardai than I've got from Dublin gardai. Maybe a different attitude down there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I had to watch again to be sure it wasn't a detective car or something

You won’t ever find a cop car being driven like that without lights and sirens on.

• Advertisement

You won’t ever find a cop car being driven like that without lights and sirens on.

That's why I watched again to see if I had just missed the lights

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Funnily enough, I jokingly told a driver he forgot to put on his blues coming down the bus lane like that. Well f*ck me if he didn't put them on then and there. I just gave him a thumbs up and thankfully the lights went green so I just cycled on. It was an unmarked car in case that wasn't clear. e was doing a ton coming past UCD and nearly hit a two cars that he screamed through as they were merging.

I would like to thank Sam for all he has done for cycling in Ireland today.

It’s the first spin I’ve been on this year where every car gave a decent amount of room and didn’t feel the need to pluck a calf hair with their bumper.

Hopefully it sticks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I would like to thank Sam for all he has done for cycling in Ireland today.

It’s the first spin I’ve been on this year where every car gave a decent amount of room and didn’t feel the need to pluck a calf hair with their bumper.

Hopefully it sticks....

Listening to Off The Ball yesterday....had a cycling journalists saying the success of Sam will get more people cycling especially kids.

If we want those kids to keep cycling, motorists need to give cyclists as much room as possible.

micar wrote: »
    Listening to Off The Ball yesterday....had a cycling journalists saying the success of Sam will get more people cycling especially kids.

If we want those kids to keep cycling, motorists need to give cyclists as much room as possible.

If you want those kids to keep cycling the infrastructure needs to change. I have a lot of sympathy for people driving on poor roads that don’t allow ALL
    Road users to make sufficient progress, it doesn’t excuse dangerous driving but I can sympathize to a degree.

If you want those kids to keep cycling the infrastructure needs to change. I have a lot of sympathy for people driving on poor roads that don’t allow ALL
    Road users to make sufficient progress, it doesn’t excuse dangerous driving but I can sympathize to a degree.

I keep trying to explain to driver I know that often this cycling infrastructure will help them too by getting us out of their way

You’re up against it with some people. I had a “discussion” with my mother at the weekend, in the course of which she insisted that all the new cycles lanes she has to pay for are too wide and too narrow, and there’s too many of them taking up road space, and they need to put more in because cyclists, including kids, are having to go down the middle of the road when there’s none there.

Now I think of it, half of that was positive. I ended up being wrong anyway, though.

I got crap from a woman tonight who was walking in a cycle lane with her back to traffic. I told her to be careful as its essentially road to which she replied "no its not its a cycle path" Clues in the name you stuck up t***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I live off Carysfort Ave in Blackrock which has recently got an excellent bike lane. It is wonderful seeing all the people use it and especially the junior infants going to school that will know no different (as it should be).
    I have however had a number in "interactions" that concern me and I believe all those in favour of cycling need to really push for more infrastructure and maintenance for what we have as tere is a pushback:
    1) While travelling away from Stillorgan on Stillorgan park road I was dangerously overtaken by a neighbour. I blew a gasket and asked what she was doing upon which I was educated that A) I am legally required to use the cylce lane (there isn't really one just a shared rough surface on the path) and B) She didnt really feel it ws a close pass as I wasnt in the cycle lane!!
    2) Another neighbor informed me she stopped her car and EXPLAINED aggressively to a cyclist on Carysfort Avenue "what are you doing on the road haven't we given up enough space to your cycle lane"...No real answer to that proud of intimidating a cyclist who is not breaking the law and divisive language.

3) The residents rep says she is under pressure to make a significant number of representations to the council about how inappropriate, from many perspectives, the lanes are and why they should be closed.
    Sorry long post but there is significant ill feeling about the lanes and so much RE-EDUCATION is needed.

Just a small update on this. I have had one call from a Garda, it was only 2 days after the incident, so no complaints on timing. I explained again what happened in this incident and was then asked what would I like the Gardai to do. This was a bit unexpected honestly, and I responded as such. The Gard suggested maybe having a chat with the driver, to which I pushed back and reiterated that there was contact made in this pass, and that there was a 'Dangerous Pass of Cyclists' penalty point offence. I did mention that given there was contact I wondered if this more than a dangerous pass, to which I had no real response.

Not much else was said, just a question of whether I was willing to give a statement to which I said I was, and I would be willing to do whatever was required. I did pass on the video footage via email, and I have since been asked if I could transfer it to a USB stick, all through email.

So in short, they have seen the footage and have asked if I can provide a physical copy. A fast start, but I feel things are starting to drag now. I wonder how long this will take.
    Just curious - did you sent them a low-res version by email or a link to an uploaded version? I've had different responses like 'oh, you can't put it anywhere on d'Internet, even with a private link'. Their email limit seems to be 10mb, which doesn't give much scope for video.

Cycle on the road = screaming
    Cycle on the cycle path = screaming

The truth is people just have an irrational hatred for cyclists. You see the same if you go on a vegetarian thread it's full of furious people who's lives are in no way affected by other people's diets but are mad anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

work wrote: »
    I live off Carysfort Ave in Blackrock which has recently got an excellent bike lane. It is wonderful seeing all the people use it and especially the junior infants going to school that will know no different (as it should be).
    I have however had a number in "interactions" that concern me and I believe all those in favour of cycling need to really push for more infrastructure and maintenance for what we have as tere is a pushback:
    1) While travelling away from Stillorgan on Stillorgan park road I was dangerously overtaken by a neighbour. I blew a gasket and asked what she was doing upon which I was educated that A) I am legally required to use the cylce lane (there isn't really one just a shared rough surface on the path) and B) She didnt really feel it ws a close pass as I wasnt in the cycle lane!!
    2) Another neighbor informed me she stopped her car and EXPLAINED aggressively to a cyclist on Carysfort Avenue "what are you doing on the road haven't we given up enough space to your cycle lane"...No real answer to that proud of intimidating a cyclist who is not breaking the law and divisive language.

3) The residents rep says she is under pressure to make a significant number of representations to the council about how inappropriate, from many perspectives, the lanes are and why they should be closed.
    Sorry long post but there is significant ill feeling about the lanes and so much RE-EDUCATION is needed.

I live in the area and have been following the "debate" on social media particularly about the Seapoint Ave - Sandycove lanes. The councillors are all very quiet on the issues of the new lanes. This leads me to believe there is widespread support. The only recent work where submissions were invited was the Blackrock Main Street scheme. Despite almost unanimous opposition on social media almost 75% of submissions were positive. (see extract below)

The public feedback from Phase One saw over 160 submissions and we have taken note and amended some of the elements of the project to reflect some of this public input. 74% of the submissions were positive, 18% negative and 8% neutral.

There is no harm in letting the council know you approve of the recent work or if you have any suggestions. I find they always respond to emails.

info@dlrcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Cycle on the road = screaming
    Cycle on the cycle path = screaming

The truth is people just have an irrational hatred for cyclists. You see the same if you go on a vegetarian thread it's full of furious people who's lives are in no way affected by other people's diets but are mad anyway.

On this point. Not exactly a cycling incident but my girlfriend had an incident yesterday walking home from work, she put her foot on the road (a minor lane leading onto a main road) while looking at her phone. She shouldn't have stepped onto the road before looking up but she claimed she wasn't going to actually cross before looking up.... anyway a woman driving a jeep on this lane claimed my gf was very lucky she didn't end up in St. James' and that "she hopes she gets hit the next time".

Despicable language out of someone in a jeep directed towards a more vulnerable road user. I don't care how unobservant a pedestrian is, if you're driving a jeep in the city, slow down and expect the unexpected... sick of these verbal wars going on between people on our streets. You can't be in that much of a rush.

work wrote: »

Dear lord :rolleyes: you're never going to get a reasonable discussion out of someone once they decide that if you shouldn't be there it is justification for intimidation. Same on my local area group chat. I pointed out to one in particular the laws, rules and reasons, to which she politely told me to get f*cked. The idiocy of some of them is astonishing. Not that they care but:
    - you are not legally required to use the path
    - close passing is dangerous driving and a PP offence whether she likes you there or not.
    - you are 100% right on the intimidation. This actually constitutes assault and if a Garda wanted to there could be a court date and quite a serious fine/jail time for it.

I actually got blocked from our local whatsapp group (partner still on it) for talking too much sense and using facts when a discussion regarding traffic calming came up. Wagon hasn't as much as looked at me since when we pass each other on the street which is immensely satisfying :pac:

Sent a link to an unlisted youtube video. Which they watched on their phone from the looks of the youtube stats. As you say, there was no other way to send it, as email limits are tiny, and linking to a file sharing site wouldn't be ideal.

There was no push back on receiving the youtube link, just a request for the file on a USB after. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause any issues.

Thanks, I've done that myself in the past too. More recently, I've got the 'oh no, it couldn't be up on the Internet in any form' before going to Court.
    . They really need a simple way of submitting video, hopefully one not owned by a commercial vendor such as Nextbase as done by some UK police forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No local WhatsApp groups, fortunately (enough with the children!), but I just ignore the cycling posts on the Facebook groups... Schrodingers Cyclists - both going to slow "holding up traffic" and "racing" past peoples houses. And we should also "get off the road" whilst also getting "off the trails"...

I really can't believe this level of stupid...
    https://twitter.com/thedogh06218757/status/1310303661613109256

Check the replys. At one stage he says 3 people are alive today thanks to me what a hero

Check the replys. At one stage he says 3 people are alive today thanks to me what a hero

He doubles down. Says he seen an obstacle for a cyclist coming up to a speed bump. Now he maybe right that the cyclist should have checked their side but on the same note as a motorist, one of the first things I was taught was to assume that other road users might move out of the way of an obstruction so be prepared. So he seen what was coming and then gets annoyed that the other person done exactly what he expected them to do.

CramCycle wrote: »
    He doubles down. Says he seen an obstacle for a cyclist coming up to a speed bump. Now he maybe right that the cyclist should have checked their side but on the same note as a motorist, one of the first things I was taught was to assume that other road users might move out of the way of an obstruction so be prepared. So he seen what was coming and then gets annoyed that the other person done exactly what he expected them to do.

It's hard to be sure by his descriptions but it's sounds like he is blaming cyclists for moving around within their lane not switching lanes which is a very different thing

• Advertisement

It's hard to be sure by his descriptions but it's sounds like he is blaming cyclists for moving around within their lane not switching lanes which is a very different thing

And I can see the annoyance of motors or bikes switching lanes without indicating but when I see a car to my left or a bike, and there is an obstruction ahead, my mind does the normal thing of assuming, indicator or not, they may move out so I prepare for it in advance. I never think to myself, that i saved their life, I don't even think about it at all bar a fleeting moment of, they should have indicated.

CramCycle wrote: »
    And I can see the annoyance of motors or bikes switching lanes without indicating but when I see a car to my left or a bike, and there is an obstruction ahead, my mind does the normal thing of assuming, indicator or not, they may move out so I prepare for it in advance. I never think to myself, that i saved their life, I don't even think about it at all bar a fleeting moment of, they should have indicated.

Same. But I don't think he is talking about changing lanes just bikes moving within the lane they currently occupy. I still recommend cyclists look back but there is no reason to indicate

Same. But I don't think he is talking about changing lanes just bikes moving within the lane they currently occupy. I still recommend cyclists look back but there is no reason to indicate

Reminds me of a time I was sitting in the right hand side of a lane at a red light. The light went green and I pushed off and went round the corner. Now I had indicated before I moved over but the car behind had arrived after this. I was sitting on the right hand side of the lane. He went ballistic, pulled in around the corner after a dangerous overtake to lambast me for not indicating. He mounted the pavement and cut across me all in the same maneuvre. I WAS ON THE FUPPING RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE LANE, he was sitting behind me at the lights for 30 seconds, WHAT IS FUPPIN WRONG WITH PEOPLE. Where did he think I was going, surely my position was a fair indication if he missed the hand signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So in short, they have seen the footage and have asked if I can provide a physical copy. A fast start, but I feel things are starting to drag now. I wonder how long this will take.

It's a slow process. I had an incident in February I think it was, Gardai did follow it up, and then I thought nothing was ever going to come of it. I got a call in July and it was from the Gardai telling me what charge they're taking him to court on after speaking to the driver. So just waiting for it to come up in court now. I put a lot of the delay down to Covid-19 though.

Does stuff like having a word with the driver get logged in the system? As in if they've been spoken to on a number of occasions or reports made about them their record would maybe prompt a more serious look at them in the event of a future complaint?

Does stuff like having a word with the driver get logged in the system? As in if they've been spoken to on a number of occasions or reports made about them their record would maybe prompt a more serious look at them in the event of a future complaint?

A caution should indeed be logged on Pulse against the driver.

Not my video, but it's got to be the nearest of near misses - some NSFW language (well justified)

https://twitter.com/CarHelmets/status/1310670228557193218?s=20

• Advertisement

Jesus, thats the day you want to be riding with a lump of coal up your bum. The Diamond you'd poop would be worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I sometimes indicate around some in-lane obstacles depending on the traffic behind me. Not a full lámh amach indicate signal, more like a point to where I'm moving to in the lane.

After a few group rides I've done the hole/shore circular signal out of habit for cars too, I'm sure they were delighted/confused :o

Just to show you can't win, I have gotten abuse for indicating. Guy sitting on the side road thought I was pointing at him as I turned, and came after me to have a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Steoller wrote: »
    Just to show you can't win, I have gotten abuse for indicating. Guy sitting on the side road thought I was pointing at him as I turned, and came after me to have a word.

Sorry but this made me laugh! They’re ****ing mad these people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Apparently a woman was taken to hospital this morning after colliding with a left turning bus...

https://twitter.com/clicky_here/status/1310839101285896192

Those damn autonomous left-turning buses again!

Sorry but this made me laugh! They’re ****ing mad these people!!

Sitting close to a regular in Toners many years ago who had a lazy eye. He was watching golf or something on the telly but another customer at a table, unbeknownst to anyone else thought he was being stared out of it. The barman copped the guy getting irate but by the time he got round the counter the guy had darted across the room to deck the guy sitting quietly watching TV. There was pandemonium for a few minutes as he was restrained. He got kicked out and it was only after the fact we figured out what had happened. Some people are bizarre beyond belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

There's a Twitter post making the rounds of a car's dash cam about a cyclist faking a hit by a car. Looks ridiculous/bad. The Twitter handle where the video clip is @electionlit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not a near miss, but I passed an ambulance attending to a cyclist in the Phoenix Park earlier and it did not feel good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a Twitter post making the rounds of a car's dash cam about a cyclist faking a hit by a car. Looks ridiculous/bad. The Twitter handle where the video clip is @electionlit

It's an asshole kid trying to scam a taxi driver, he could have got himself a few slaps and his phone smashed up when he took a photo of the insurance disk in order to try claim from it had he tried it on the wrong person. And probably deservedly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

What is it about Fridays?:confused:

This morning on the Feltrim Road:

Coming home on the Malahide road

If I had been 2 or 3 seconds earlier, or any of the 3 cyclists behind me had been 5 seconds earlier, this could have been nasty. She wasn't looking for bike traffic at all, as she moved out over half the very busy bike lane. She was actually looking for her takeaway coffee cup.

She gave me the 'your majesty' gesture when she pulled back, like I was the one with the problem.

https://streamable.com/nwe6ix

She was driving without her seatbelt either :(

I'm guessing she had parked up and run into Supervalu for a coffee. It must be awful to not be able to park on the cycle lane any more. So she was probably just taking off, and decided to save a few seconds by picking up her coffee cup as she drove into the junction, and then doing her seat belt.
    And no NCT since 16-Jan-2020, that was prior to any Covid extension. Did you get a look at the tax/insurance disk, generally not a bad idea (difficult from that angle) to look since Guards can't be bothered with close passes and dangerous driving perhaps they'll take more heed where there's a number of infringements such as driving without seatbeat, NCT etc

It's a good idea, but very hard to do in practice, particularly as I'm long-sighted, and don't wear my reading glasses while cycling. I keep meaning to try it, maybe using the camera and see if that will pick up the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Had two working together this morning on the way into work. I got cut up on the M4 Celbridge roundabout. I was going from the Barnhall road in south east to the R449 Leixlip exit in the north. As I pass the first exit, car comes up on my outside and cuts across in front of me. I give the brakes a squeeze to give room, but that means the car behind him, who is also diving for the first exit can't cut up the first car's inside because I've slowed.

Horn abuse . Fingers at the window. Fingers back. Bad mood for the rest of the morning.

A bizarre thing as I drove today (collecting and dropping off my in laws car for a service/repair). A few bikes on the Stepaside road and the Kilgobbin Road, and most people were waiting back for a safe overtake. We all got stuck at lights later down the road so it really made no difference. Anyway, on the Kilgobbin Road and we are behind a cyclist with a kids trailer. This road is windy and not wide enough for an overtake, so for the most part people hang back, although not well enough but better than what I have seen, Anyway, we get to a right turn just after the windy bit, I am two cars back from the cyclist. The BMW in front of me contemplates an overtake but then cops the cyclist is indicating right. Slows, undertakes and then pulls in front at the lights 2 seconds later, which were red. The traffic is heavy enough that when the BMW eventually gets around the corner, the cyclist is finally able to go around, overtake and never be seen again. It was just a bizarre pointless manoeuvre.

Had a pretty serious close call today. Brought the Urban Arrow into town for its first service and collected it this afternoon. I was coming out along Strawberry Beds and there was a grey SUV coming towards me. Car behind me approaching at speed gunned it and squeeze into the rapidly disappearing space and immediately followed by a red car who skidded to avoid the SUV. Both SUV and I came to an immediate stop along side each other speechless.

So I’ll need a camera on the UA too...

Those days were you come to a stop and so does approaching traffic are rare and yet somehow, still far to often. Hope you're OK, the few times it's happened me its left me shook.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭knockoutned

Had a pretty serious close call today. Brought the Urban Arrow into town for its first service and collected it this afternoon. I was coming out along Strawberry Beds and there was a grey SUV coming towards me. Car behind me approaching at speed gunned it and squeeze into the rapidly disappearing space and immediately followed by a red car who skidded to avoid the SUV. Both SUV and I came to an immediate stop along side each other speechless.

So I’ll need a camera on the UA too...

Hi 5suspect, I was the driver of the grey SUV. It was nice to meet you, though not in that circumstance :eek: I was very happy to be able to have our brief chat afterwards, as I was sure he had pulled in on top of you to avoid me.

I was hoping that you caught it on camera, as I would have been more than happy to be a witness if you decided to contact the Guards. Though I’m also glad that my “sh!tting my pants” face was not captured on camera for all eternity!

That was the closest I’ve come to a head on collision. I thought the first car was cutting it close, but the second car took the p!ss. He just blindly followed the first car. If the first car braked at all passing you, the second car would have taken us all out. Absolutely ridiculous driving.

Lovely bike by the way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement