Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I thought the first car was cutting it close, but the second car took the p!ss. He just blindly followed the first car.
    Have to say that this is one of my biggest fears with close passes that the driver following the first is paying even less attention.

Cycled from Dunboyne to Maynooth with the OH today and the driving standard was shocking, the amount of close passes and passes on blind bends we ridiculous the road isn't great and has a lot of them but no-one seemed in the mood to wait for a safe place!
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭knockoutned

5uspect wrote: »
    Hey, didn’t expect to ever hear from you again! Hope you’re okay, you dropped anchor pretty hard. I was tempted to bring my GoPro today but it’s a bit of a pain getting the mount off my own bike. Perhaps I need a helmet cam.

It was an absolutely insane excuse for driving, one of the worst I’ve experienced. It crossed my mind that they were racing.

I’d highly recommend the Urban Arrow, great for the school run or the weekly shop.

Had my eye on a Yuba Mundo Lux as I've two kids who are just about the right age to go on it (who were both asleep and thankfully, remained asleep during the above incident) as I have the impression that if a driver can see them on the back of the bike they mightn't pull a ridiculous overtake like the one today. But I'll definitely have a look at your one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

tnegun wrote: »
    Have to say that this is one of my biggest fears with close passes that the driver following the first is paying even less attention.

Cycled from Dunboyne to Maynooth with the OH today and the driving standard was shocking, the amount of close passes and passes on blind bends we ridiculous the road isn't great and has a lot of them but no-one seemed in the mood to wait for a safe place!

Same here about the close passes. By the looks of things if I am ever involved in another crash it will be an overtaking car colliding with another while going around me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I reckon that if an driver overtaking a cyclist fears a collision with an oncoming vehicle then unfortunately, the cyclist will be the one they aim for.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct, they'll weigh up in their own head what is the lesser of two evils, damage wise for them, hitting a 1.5 ton vehicle, or hitting a 100kg obstacle(as they ser it), and the cyclist loses that one every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think you are correct, they'll weigh up in their own head what is the lesser of two evils, damage wise for them, hitting a 1.5 ton vehicle, or hitting a 100kg obstacle(as they ser it), and the cyclist loses that one every time.

Don't think there is any weighing up in their mind, lack of time to think, the natural instinct would be to swerve out of the way of an incoming vehicle, almost impossible to overcome that.

Don't think there is any weighing up in their mind, lack of time to think, the natural instinct would be to swerve out of the way of an incoming vehicle, almost impossible to overcome that.

It's the instinct to immediately overtake a bike regardless of the situation sadly also seems possible to overcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's the instinct to immediately overtake a bike regardless of the situation sadly also seems possible to overcome

Maybe if we could make our respective bums a bit more pleasing, it might be safer on the roads?

Maybe if we could make our respective bums a bit more pleasing, it might be safer on the roads?

Doubt it would help. I bet Anna Van Der Breggen gets this crap too

The new cycle lane opened to give fanfare on Shannon bridge in Limerick has been cut to one lane half way down the bridge on the inbound lane with a barrier leaving the cyclist with no option but to cycle head on into the cyclists on the outbound lane.

Soon after I almost went head on into a roadworks sign hidden around a bend in a cycle lane coming off a fast moving roundabout at the Cresent shopping centre. But at least the builder seemed genuine about moving it as I asked

• Advertisement

Not my video, but what an idiot in the Audi

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1314142226151354370

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming up to the small roundabout in South Shankill. About 15m shy I start to slow (as its a f*cking roundabout). Car behind me goes for the overtake and only pulls level as we get to it. I let a roar and thankfully they stopped but the dirty look of both disgust and confusion from the driver was spectacular. I caught up with the car in front going through the village, as expected and didn't delay the car behind at all. Some of them are just muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Not my video, but what an idiot in the Audi

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1314142226151354370
    I was expecting a lot worse after reading the tweets. "Bawling crying"? Jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was expecting a lot worse after reading the tweets. "Bawling crying"? Jesus...

I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.
    To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

you and i have a different definition of the word 'reckless', when we're talking about a driver who starts an overtaking manouevre they've clearly got no idea if they'll be able to complete safely.

There are different levels of reckless, it’s a subjective word.
    I wouldn’t put this at the higher level.
    I wouldn’t do it, but it’s far from the worst.

well, a quick google says 'heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous.'
    by that definition, the driver shown was reckless, no doubt about it.

Language doesn’t live in a dictionary.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    At absolute best, it's a classic example of what I said just on this thread 3 pages ago:

Also, it appears the driver slowed down quickly about 1 sec in, and then thought "ah screw it i can still get through" and pushed on more to the point where
    they conceded they couldnt get away with pushing through, at which point their car was dangerously close to an unprotected kid on a bike.

That's a pretty low bar of expectation you're setting on driving standards TBF.

The cyclists had plenty of room to get through once the car stopped.
    I never said it was right, I said it’s not the worst thing you see and the drivers decisions are wrong, but the infrastructure is a major part of the problem.

well, then you can use any definition you want for reckless. the rest of us might not know what you mean, though.

I didn’t define reckless you did, I’ve had enough close calls on my bike to know that this is far far from the worst that you see, and as I said if it was the worst that happened me it wouldn’t be a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The cyclists had plenty of room to get through once the car stopped.
    I never said it was right, I said it’s not the worst thing you see and the drivers decisions are wrong, but the infrastructure is a major part of the problem.

The major part of the problem was the manner in which the driver dealt with the bad infrastructure.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Reminds me of a road local to me that features in my local WhatsApp group quite a bit due to accidents at one particular spot on it. These messages always refer to the "bad bend", as if that's the main source of the problem.

I don't see anything tricky about it - it's just a bend. It's been there for probably over 60 years and to my knowledge in that time it has never moved or shifted around.

What I do see quite frequently is people coming around it far too fast with their wheels well over the middle line because they couldnt be bothered to adjust their speed down to a speed appropriate for the conditions and take the correct line through the bend.

It's astounding the lengths people can go to deflect blame away from their sloppy driving.

Do you navigate this particular bend at the speed limit which applies to that road?

I'm wondering where you're going with this. Many bends cannot be taken at the prevailing speed limit even if there were no pedestrians, cyclists, traffic, etc.
    Doesn't mean that you should drive around a bend under the speed limit yet still too fast.

If a particular bend is the site of multiple accidents it pretty obvious that it’s a contributory factor to the accidents.

That concept seems to be lost on a lot of people, which is pretty surprising in a forum about cycling which constantly advocates for better Infrastructure.

The placement of gatso vans has been based on this concept since their introduction. Particular areas need to be controlled and patrolled for safety reasons. Roads may appear to drivers to be safe to increase speed but as a source of accidents it clearly not.

If someone is driving a road they don’t know they follow the speed limit, if a section of that road isn’t suitable and safe for the prevailing speed limit it either needs an engineered solution (widening, straightening) or an administrative one - signage, road marking, reduced limit with adequate warning. The fact that the OP knows this bad bend is fine for him, put a potential source of danger for people unfamiliar with it.

There is a road near me where you go around 7 bends all the while the white line in the middle is a broken not solid line. That gives drivers unfamiliar with the road a question that overtaking is possible, when it should be a solid white line.

Roads aren’t perfect, far from it but we don’t demand enough of the people tasked with improving them.

• Advertisement

Dear lord, follow the speed limit ?!? regardless of the conditions the limit is just that, a limit, not a target. Drive to the conditions. It's this kind of attitude that is one of the main factors in most road traffic accidents.

I DO WISH, THAT PEOPLE WOULD STOP REFERRING TO COLLISIONS AS ACCIDENTS.

I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.
    To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to make roads like this one way because dickheads like this won't make sure they have time and space to overtake safely?

Here's an alternative suggestion - let's start taking and crushing cars from idiots who drive like this, and see how long it takes for the masses to get the message.

If a particular bend is the site of multiple accidents it pretty obvious that it’s a contributory factor to the accidents.

That concept seems to be lost on a lot of people, which is pretty surprising in a forum about cycling which constantly advocates for better Infrastructure.

The placement of gatso vans has been based on this concept since their introduction. Particular areas need to be controlled and patrolled for safety reasons. Roads may appear to drivers to be safe to increase speed but as a source of accidents it clearly not.

If someone is driving a road they don’t know they follow the speed limit, if a section of that road isn’t suitable and safe for the prevailing speed limit it either needs an engineered solution (widening, straightening) or an administrative one - signage, road marking, reduced limit with adequate warning. The fact that the OP knows this bad bend is fine for him, put a potential source of danger for people unfamiliar with it.

There is a road near me where you go around 7 bends all the while the white line in the middle is a broken not solid line. That gives drivers unfamiliar with the road a question that overtaking is possible, when it should be a solid white line.

Roads aren’t perfect, far from it but we don’t demand enough of the people tasked with improving them.

Or maybe drivers should notice the upcoming bends and adjust their speed accordingly?

I really can't wait for autonomous vehicles - buggy software would be much better than the average driver in Ireland.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear lord, follow the speed limit ?!? regardless of the conditions the limit is just that, a limit, not a target. Drive to the conditions. It's this kind of attitude that is one of the main factors in most road traffic accidents.

So poor road design doesn’t happen? The roads are perfect are they? It’s the drivers that are the problem?

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to make roads like this one way because dickheads like this won't make sure they have time and space to overtake safely?

Here's an alternative suggestion - let's start taking and crushing cars from idiots who drive like this, and see how long it takes for the masses to get the message.

Yes strangely I’m suggesting the roads are designed or redesigned in such a way that allows for the maximum safety of the users on them. Bikes in segregated lanes, two car lanes.

Did you notice that road doesn’t have a central line on it? And the lumpy surface on it. Is that to much to ask in this day and age That our roads actually have painted markings on them?

Or maybe drivers should notice the upcoming bends and adjust their speed accordingly?

I really can't wait for autonomous vehicles - buggy software would be much better than the average driver in Ireland.

Notice an upcoming badly designed dangerous bend where obeying the speed limit on that road is to fast.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.
    Hard to see it catching on.

And you won’t ever see me in a autonomous vehicle, nor will there be widespread introduction of them under the current insurance regimes that exists.

Notice an upcoming badly designed dangerous bend where obeying the speed limit on that road is to fast.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.

And you won’t ever see me in a autonomous vehicle, nor will there be widespread introduction of them under the current insurance regimes that exists.

Not so much psychic as putting their phones down and keeping their eyes and their minds on the road ahead. Try it sometime.

BTW, roads designed to facilitate speeding are the absolute opposite of safety.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Apologies
    So poor road design doesn’t happen? The roads are perfect are they? It’s the drivers that are the problem?
    Happens all the time, do you know what would solve the issues with alot of bad road design, better drivers. In fact alot of what you are suggesting is bad road design as it encourages drivers to go faster. What we need is a system where drivers are taught from day one that speed limits are not targets (which most driving instructors do the opposite). If you are not smart enough to realise that doing 80 round a blind bend is not a good idea and do it because it is the "limit" then you really should be DQ'd from driving. Regrettably we are too protective if drivers in this country, therefore its not the infrastructures fault but society in general.
    Yes strangely I’m suggesting the roads are designed or redesigned in such a way that allows for the maximum safety of the users on them. Bikes in segregated lanes, two car lanes
    Forgetting the cost, space and everything else that makes this a non runner, why not just make everyone behave safely through education and enforcement.
    Did you notice that road doesn’t have a central line on it? And the lumpy surface on it. Is that to much to ask in this day and age That our roads actually have painted markings on them?
    There is actually a reason for that, the road isn't wide enough for painted markings in many cases under the regulations.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.
    Are you saying if you can't see around a corner and you have never driven on the road before (and yes I am aware that having driven on the road shouldn't be a consideration but I fear I may lose who this is aimed at), that you keep tipping away at the speed limit. This is what you think the most reasonable course of action is?!? It's stupid, it is illegal and is god damn f*cking dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Eamonnator wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭ofthelord

Hope it's ok to post this here, thought about this thread when out on a cycle today.
    Had a near miss earlier - no other vehicles involved. A couple of Deer scared the crap out of me by sprinting out from the trees and running out across the fireroad when I was going downhill @+35kmph, this was on Carrick. Had a lovely relaxing few hours cycling mainly offload other than that bit of excitement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

that's what the thread is for!
    i was once nearly cleaned out of it by a stag in the dark on the khyber road in the phoenix park. would have startled me but for the fact that by the time i realised what had happened, it was already well clear of me.

I posted footage of the same on Near Misses 1. Happened near Newtownmountkennedy. I didn't post footage the second time as, for me, it was old hat at that stage :D

ps It does frighten the cr*p out of you

Got out for a spin at lunch today and had 3 interesting interactions the first and last were within 100m from home so wont post, but one lady drove at me on the wrong side of the road on her phone while looking for a neighbour she seemed to think I was in the wrong for pointing at the correct side of the road and then at almost the same spot on the way back a tradesman walked out on the road without looking I let him know I was there and his response was to slow down!!

I must be wearing my invisibility suit today as for this muppet beeps at me to make way for him I guess? Then proceeds to pass too close while entering a blind bend?? https://streamable.com/oswpo1 and gives a puddle plenty of room!

Effects wrote: »

That is just too close to home for comfort.

Am I hearing things or did they tap their horn around 0:16?
    Yeah he beeped don't know if it was to let me know he was there or for me to get out of his way?

Ah get you now, no I don't think so he did put the foot down but no more beeping.

I hit a car this evening, with my hand. Not hard but hard enough. Cars flying up the bus lane and at a set of lights, he was clearly skipping traffic and as he took off he drifted slightly into the bike lane. I just lashed out and thumped the car. He looked around in confusion, I pointed at the driving lane and seen him pull over after a few words were mouthed. About 100m later he pulled back in and pulled into the galloping green lay off. I seen him do the walk around, check for damage etc. I stopped as he gestured to me and explained he was drifting into the bike lane. His opening retort was there was no bike lane :confused: When I queried it he told me I was putting myself in danger by undertaking, he could have been turning left. I asked why he wasn't indicating? And pointed out he only drifted after the turn was passed. He then pointed out I put myself in danger, he could have swerved or sh1t himself. I laughed a little as the latter would not be my issue. I pointed out that if he hadn't merged and put me in danger I wouldn't have had to react. He then said he didn't merge to which I pointed out that it was on camera if he wanted a copy. He then started on about he didn't know what had hit him, was it my foot or me or what was it. I showed him what I had done. He seemed satisfied but then had to repeat that I had put myself in danger. I firmly told him if he got out of the bus lane there wouldn't have been an issue. We parted with nowt more said.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I hit a car this evening, with my hand. Not hard but hard enough. Cars flying up the bus lane and at a set of lights, he was clearly skipping traffic and as he took off he drifted slightly into the bike lane. I just lashed out and thumped the car. He looked around in confusion, I pointed at the driving lane and seen him pull over after a few words were mouthed. About 100m later he pulled back in and pulled into the galloping green lay off. I seen him do the walk around, check for damage etc. I stopped as he gestured to me and explained he was drifting into the bike lane. His opening retort was there was no bike lane :confused: When I queried it he told me I was putting myself in danger by undertaking, he could have been turning left. I asked why he wasn't indicating? And pointed out he only drifted after the turn was passed. He then pointed out I put myself in danger, he could have swerved or sh1t himself. I laughed a little as the latter would not be my issue. I pointed out that if he hadn't merged and put me in danger I wouldn't have had to react. He then said he didn't merge to which I pointed out that it was on camera if he wanted a copy. He then started on about he didn't know what had hit him, was it my foot or me or what was it. I showed him what I had done. He seemed satisfied but then had to repeat that I had put myself in danger. I firmly told him if he got out of the bus lane there wouldn't have been an issue. We parted with nowt more said.

If they come close enough for you to hit their car, they are WAY too close.

I have no words for this a$$hole how little value can you place on someone else's life to pass like this and at that speed https://streamable.com/dmvu23 definitely well north of 80km/h probably north of 100km/h too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I have no words for this a$$hole how little value can you place on someone else's life to pass like this and at that speed https://streamable.com/dmvu23 definitely well north of 80km/h probably north of 100km/h too :mad:

Oh my fu(k

Are you able to get any part of the reg?

Vauxhall Insignia ... not to many imported

Not when he passed me I barely copped the make and model he was so fast, from a frame on the video its 10-D-130291 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Not when he passed me I barely copped the make and model he was so fast, from a frame on the video its 10-D-130291 .

Definately it.....matches off the NCT website.

You need to report that

i'd say he gave the oncoming drivers a start too.

It was lucky they were so far over already hugging the grass on the other side the first guy would of seen him and me, the second and third probably didn't see both of us till he passed.

That's a bad one. Very bad. Absolutely no room for you to make a mistake or move to avoid a pothole or anything.
    Hopefully the gardai* get the driver on dangerous driving.
    Is that on the Moyglare Rd?

* I assume you are reporting it?

Yeah it's the Moyglare road along by the stud, I haven't decided on reporting I've reported 2 maybe 3 before and it has been a massive waste of my time, I never even got a call back for the bus who drove at me after I complained to him he past too close and the gardai have never once asked to see the footage even when I've had my laptop with me.

micar wrote: »
    Definately it.....matches off the NCT website.

You need to report that
    I'll see how I feel tomorrow it takes a stupid amount of time and as it occurred near Maynooth, Leixlip GS will forward me there, its part time station so trying to even make a complaint is near impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I'll see how I feel tomorrow it takes a stupid amount of time and as it occurred near Maynooth, Leixlip GS will forward me there, its part time station so trying to even make a complaint is near impossible.

I'll come drive you myself.. that has to be reported! That person absolutely deserves to be held accountable for that driving.. there are no excuses to be made, it is absolutely reckless. The Cycliq is there for cases such as this.

It is frightening to be passed like that. Hope you are OK.

Traffic watch will send it to Maynooth, I'll go to Leixlip in person with it tomorrow and see what they say it happened so fast I honestly didn't realize how bad it was till I looked back at the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

totally reckless...
    ..massive pita to report probably especially given your previous experience, but you might just save someone else that experience or worse...

First failed attempt to report at Leixlip a few mins ago, only civilians available as they have a large no of prisoners. I was given the choice to wait with no guarantee I'd be seen within the hour or come back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭fat bloke

First failed attempt to report at Leixlip a few mins ago, only civilians available as they have a large no of prisoners. I was given the choice to wait with no guarantee I'd be seen within the hour or come back later.

Please, please persevere. That driver needs his comeuppance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

And they've only just got the car, maybe they had to change it due to previous reckless driving..... brutal stuff altogether, glad you weren't harmed.

That's gas I checked for a change of ownership last night and it wasn't there! I did some sums and he covered 200m in 6/7 seconds so that's 100-120km/h

*Edited link to show the actual distance here

• Advertisement
Advertisement