Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It is indeed Alan lovely lad I'm delighted he reported it.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Still nothing back on the incident I reported a month ago after a great response to the first two guards it was passed to its now been almost 3 weeks since it was assigned to a third and nothing yet. I left a message with the station to contact me at anytime to discuss but nothing yet.

Looking back over my streamable heres two incidents from the same Airport Hopper driver. After much chasing the guard eventually said that there wasn't enough to prosecute anything.

Make up your own minds. The pass https://streamable.com/vm6xo and his actions after I pulled him up on it. He drives right up to my back wheel then pulls along side me and pushes in on me https://streamable.com/exvcs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I haven’t posted in this thread before because I don’t have a camera while cycling but this morning I had my absolute worst encounter yet. Coming from Delgany out onto the N11 just as I was merging from the slip road a boy racer type car absolutely blew past me. He was coming from Delgany too. I’m not exaggerating when I say he must have been doing between 120 and 140 kph. If I had bent my elbow outwards I would have hit the car. He left no room for error whatsoever. Was it deliberate? I wouldn’t be surprised. I was apoplectic shouting at him.

That slip is lethal since they changed it. Most traffic entering the N11 treat it like a runway. Very difficult to negotiate even if you're on the N11 and tryong to pass it. I try to avoid if I can

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I haven’t posted in this thread before because I don’t have a camera while cycling but this morning I had my absolute worst encounter yet. Coming from Delgany out onto the N11 just as I was merging from the slip road a boy racer type car absolutely blew past me. He was coming from Delgany too. I’m not exaggerating when I say he must have been doing between 120 and 140 kph. If I had bent my elbow outwards I would have hit the car. He left no room for error whatsoever. Was it deliberate? I wouldn’t be surprised. I was apoplectic shouting at him.

A thing I done many years ago before I got a helmet camera was strapping my sh1tty front light onto my helmet (not o pretend to be a camera but just it fitted there, but it looked like one). It probably wouldn't have changed this drivers behaviour but I have noticed that when I have some thing like that in a prominent position it reduces the number of close passes significantly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

What about ordering a custom made hi Vis online with GARDA on it or GADRA (sic) to avoid being prosecuted for impersonation.

It might slow people down and force them to overtake properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What about ordering a custom made hi Vis online with GARDA on it or GADRA (sic) to avoid being prosecuted for impersonation.

It might slow people down and force them to overtake properly.

Something like this from the UK?
    BACK-POLITE-THINK-BIKE-WAISTCOAT-BLACK-TAPE-CYCLING-MOTORBIKE-500x500_920x.jpg?v=1511867138

There is a specific offence of impersonating a Garda, so tread carefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

There is a specific offence of impersonating a Garda, so tread carefully.

Does Gadra count though?

I used to live in the Netherlands, whenever I see the polite vests around here for a second I instinctively think Politie (the Dutch for police).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Does Garda count though?

I used to live in the Netherlands, whenever I see the polite vests around here for a second I instinctively think Politie (the Dutch for police).

Lol. Likewise, here in the Greater Montreal area, I see a lot of Garda trucks, but though they look like tactical unit trucks, they are from a local money transport/security firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I wear a Dublin bus one when cycling in Dublin, busses steer well clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

putting 'GADRA' on a vest would be an obvious breach of the act as it's quite clear you want people to think you're a garda at first glance.

I remember seeing a guy wearing a vest like this at a festival a few years back.
    I asked him about it and he said it was a kids size, and he bought it from a large chain in Dublin, sold as a kids costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

tnegun wrote: »
    Still nothing back on the incident I reported a month ago after a great response to the first two guards it was passed to its now been almost 3 weeks since it was assigned to a third and nothing yet. I left a message with the station to contact me at anytime to discuss but nothing yet.

Looking back over my streamable heres two incidents from the same Airport Hopper driver. After much chasing the guard eventually said that there wasn't enough to prosecute anything.

Make up your own minds. The pass https://streamable.com/vm6xo and his actions after I pulled him up on it. He drives right up to my back wheel then pulls along side me and pushes in on me https://streamable.com/exvcs

keep at them. I kept calling for 6 months for my first one. I eventually saw a conviction. frustrating, but if they are that dangerous to report they need to be dealt with.

As for those atrocious airport hopper ones, maybe give the operator a call if the Gardaí have no interest.

Its a year since the airport hopper incident so likely a waste of time doing anything now, on a positive note I got a call today but the guard wasn't able to download the footage from anywhere I uploaded it so I'll have to drop it to the station. She did seem quite interested so hopefully will follow it through to the end.

I look forward to hearing all the reasons why the cyclist was wrong to nearly get taken out by the driver cutting into the bike lane with no indication to get past the vehicle turning right ahead. The cyclist gave an audible scream at the time, so I think she got a fair old shock.

https://streamable.com/trm2vi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I look forward to hearing all the reasons why the cyclist was wrong to nearly get taken out by the driver cutting into the bike lane with no indication to get past the vehicle turning right ahead. The cyclist gave an audible scream at the time, so I think she got a fair old shock.

https://streamable.com/trm2vi

Had an almost identical incident about 2 months back

cletus wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why people would say the cyclist was in the wrong

Same here, motorist was 100% in the wrong as far as I can tell from the video unless I am missing something?!?

• Advertisement

i suspect the 'i look forward to hearing' was a reference to the previous video where a cyclist and a left turning motorist nearly collided, but where in the previous instance there certainly was not consensus that the motorist was to blame.

It wasn't lost on me but there are several subtle but obvious differences (in my opinion). Life is full of nuances. This one the cyclist had not slowed (nor did they have too), I can't see an indicator, they were practically beside the car and so on. The last one they had slowed, they were behind, the car had indicated. In the first one you could argue either way but regardless both involved parties seemed grand with it. This one it was a clear lack of observation on behalf of the motorist.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had a scrote pass me close enough that I could touch the back of his car without having to move my arm an awful lot(or probably half the car of I stretched)

F*cker had been on my wheel and kept revving behind me and passed me with parked cars to one side and line of traffic on the other. I had the lane. He could've used the entire lane had he waited a second, but didn't want to.

He didn't like that I could touch his car as a result of his dangerous driving, so pullers over, tried to push me off the bike , got in his car and drove it at me before I think he had a realisation that was a bad idea.

No camera and it'll just take a but you touched his car Garda for it to be dismissed l

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had a scrote pass me close enough that I could touch the back of his car without having to move my arm an awful lot(or probably half the car of I stretched)

F*cker had been on my wheel and kept revving behind me and passed me with parked cars to one side and line of traffic on the other. I had the lane. He could've used the entire lane had he waited a second, but didn't want to.

He didn't like that I could touch his car as a result of his dangerous driving, so pullers over, tried to push me off the bike , got in his car and drove it at me before I think he had a realisation that was a bad idea.

No camera and it'll just take a but you touched his car Garda for it to be dismissed l

Go to the gardai, that's assault, on top of the close overtake which he would have to admit if he wants to argue the close overtake. If your lucky the scrote will be stupid enough to admit any of it happened, if your unlucky he is smart and will just say he hasn't a notion what the Garda is on abut.

Weepsie wrote: »

If he's close enough for you to touch his car, he's too close.

Mind you, I've given video evidence of similar close passes, where the wing mirror slapped my outstretched hand in passing, and the Gardai declined to prosecute.

Yeah going to ring traffic watch anyway, but they might say go to Garda station which I can do tomorrow.

Rang traffic watch. He said he'd log it no problem, but advised going to a station too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Make the complaint as being assault.
    The Gardai will take that more seriously than an alleged close pass (and I say alleged because it can’t be proven as it’s his word versus yours about a distance).

They can investigate the assault and see if he will admit pushing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had a similar run in, not worth disclosing your address to them for 2wks community service. Just isn't.

where did it happen? i.e. which station will you have to go to?

Whitworth road, so it'll be ballymun, Cabra or Bridewell most likely

or mountjoy maybe?

Possibly. Really you should be able to go to any station. They log it, send it to relevant station and they follow it up.

Made a statement, said they'd follow up next week (did say this week) and see if they'll follow it up.

I said, I'd have been happy with someone just having a word orignally, but if he's getting that angry and driving that aggressively, a less confident cyclist or pedestrian is getting badly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I had a close encounter this evening on a roundabout (Profile Park roundabout in Clondalikn).
    I was travelling from 6o'clock and coming off at 12o'clock. A driver comes from the business park (@9o'clock) and without stopping or slowing enters the roundabout as I'm passing his junction. The driver proceeds to exit the roundabout at the 12o'clock exit I had been taking. I reckon only for slowing and swerving, I'd be in hospital now.
    The driver didn't appear to look towards me at any stage.
    https://streamable.com/l7p0g7

Given the likelihood of the Gardai doing anything about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of reporting.

Seth, Please report and if they fail to prosecute insist on it being elevated. That would annoy me so much I'd ask my solicitor about a civil case if the garda did nothing.

I wasn't looking isn't a defense.

Personally I think a cycling group should take on some of these obvious cases to court to highlight the rubbish the Garda don't prosecute
    Hope you are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I had a close encounter this evening on a roundabout (Profile Park roundabout in Clondalikn).
    I was travelling from 6o'clock and coming off at 12o'clock. A driver comes from the business park (@9o'clock) and without stopping or slowing enters the roundabout as I'm passing his junction. The driver proceeds to exit the roundabout at the 12o'clock exit I had been taking. I reckon only for slowing and swerving, I'd be in hospital now.
    The driver didn't appear to look towards me at any stage.
    https://streamable.com/l7p0g7

Given the likleihood of the gardai doing anything about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of reporting.
    Seth, please report it to traffic watch at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Called TW just there.
    Spent about 17 minutes on hold before despair set in and hung up.

Try again another time.

Think I was only on hold a few minutes when I called a few months ago.

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

As I knew they were gonig to pass regardless I had no option but to move in. The swerve as they passed dangerously showed the malice:

Then 2 weeks later I'm driving in Bray and here it is again, still on the space saver tyre. I got my son to take a still with the reg clear on it:

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

• Advertisement

Its a year since the airport hopper incident so likely a waste of time doing anything now, on a positive note I got a call today but the guard wasn't able to download the footage from anywhere I uploaded it so I'll have to drop it to the station. She did seem quite interested so hopefully will follow it through to the end.

Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

Quite likely they live just off the Boghall, rake of car around without paying VRT. If your still annoyed, take a spin around there, and follow Enfilades advice and report it to revenue with the address. I'd say they would be happy to seize it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

Jesus Christ. The last video terrified me.

That would be the one that has had just four fines and points awarded in the past 12 months :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1330884943589896192?s=19

One of those was mine (must put that footage up here now actually)

Is there a case to be made for Sy and Seth being the same man? Their f**k sakes are strikingly similar :pac:

I'm guessing same part of the country lads?

I'm just plain old me. I haven't the energy to be anyone else! :)

I'm just me too! Or am I? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

The speed he was going, what if the oncoming cars didn't hug the other side of the road ? I feel the 120 fine and 3 points isn't nearly enough. i'd be looking at 1k fine and 3 months off the road. He knew what he was doing, very dangerous. Anyway, a result nonetheless.

One of those was mine (must put that footage up here now actually)

Killiskey hill from Ashford towards Roundwood. The first time he backs off is when
    I gesticulate that he's too close. Cost €120:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Killiskey hill from Ashford towards Roundwood. The first time he backs off is when

Heart skipped a beat at the end....he was so close to hitting you.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »

I was sure he was down, that was mental, and for what?!? a 2 second wait and there would have been tons of space, absolutely mental

micar wrote: »

Utterly pointless move. Gained nothing. I reckon he even broke the temporary light initially but obviously I couldn't prove that.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was sure he was down, that was mental, and for what?!? a 2 second wait and there would have been tons of space, absolutely mental

After the queue waiting to move at the light the road ahead was completely clear as far as the eye could see.

After the queue waiting to move at the light the road ahead was completely clear as far as the eye could see.

Was on a similar road a few weeks back and 2 cars overtook me as I was trying to overtake a parked operating ambulance. First one almost took my arm off as I tried to indicate and then the second done the exact same only to end up behind me again 500m up the road at a red.

Car 1 then tries to round me on the bend off the lights and again down the hill only to realise I was now going the speed limit and having to slow myself for the car ahead of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We should have a "pointless overtake" thread. So many of them. For what - 2, 3 or 5 seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can't remember if I posted this one before...
    https://streamable.com/60jq90

Ah jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I occasionally drive the route 66 and 67, and there is always loads of cyclists about - probably something to do with it being flat :)

The amount of this sort of thing I see, on what are essentially country roads, is outstanding/outrageous. Mostly all these people get is a few seconds and no more.

While driving our that way, I am more times held up a couple of times per journey, but what do I care, I have already clocked in!! I always indicate when passing to let the following drivers know, but those ahead of me that extend that courtesy is very few.

I think most don't even realise what they have done (not an excuse, merely an observation)

Insufficient evidence for prosecution seems to be the fall back once they run out of time. I think it's 6 months to prosecute and then that response is triggered which would match the date on the video. I got it for the AirPort Hopper incident and even when stuff was stolen from the front of the house and I had CCTV plus the identity of the guys involved after 6 months had elapsed for each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The thing is RightToBikeIt has had similar incidents prosecuted before. Its a total lottery based on the Gard/supervising inspector you get.

Was there something strange in the air today? I was out on the bike and in the car, and there were multiple drivers breaking red lights, late reds, one coming close to a sixty-something gent who waved his hands in frustration. The usual people parking on every path and cycle lane and driving with their phones in hand as we've come to expect of course. One Range Rover lady managed the hat trick of pulling up on the wrong side of the road at traffic lights at Baggot St bridge, and driving off against a red light with her phone in her hand.

Was there something strange in the air today? I was out on the bike and in the car, and there were multiple drivers breaking red lights, late reds, one coming close to a sixty-something gent who waved his hands in frustration. The usual people parking on every path and cycle lane and driving with their phones in hand as we've come to expect of course.

Same yesterday. It's funny how the cold and dark makes the people in the heated lighted boxes act with an irrational urgency

• Advertisement
Advertisement