Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's pretty standard for any company with a large fleet of vehicles.

Either obtain insurance with significant individual claim excesses or a very large cumulative deductible (and sometimes a combination of both) - or else formally set up an internal captive insurer that can access the re-insurance market to cover off exceptionally large risks.

Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann are two companies, that have insurance exemption.
    An Post may be another one.
    An Garda Siochana and the Irish Army also are exempt.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've hit 2 cars this year, and 1 in memory before. I've no guilt. As far as I'm concerned each time, the driver put my life in danger, and deliberately so. 1 was a taxi driver, I recommended that his passenger get out, 1 a plain clothes garda that more than any other incidenct I wish I had a camera for, especially as they then started making up laws that don't exist, and the little scrote last week.

If they are that close, and more to the point, if they touch you in anyway, them getting a shock from a slap to the side of the vehicle deserves no sympathy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Breezer wrote: »
    I hit a pedestrian yesterday evening. General traffic was stopped, queuing, he was looking to cross the road, and stepped out into the cycle lane, then paused.

I was ready for it, and hit the brakes, but due to the wet and the wind being behind me, I slid into him. I managed to slow to the point that I came to a stop as I reached him, and the contact was basically a result of him putting his hands out. Neither of us were hurt, but we both got a shock.

It was a lesson for me really, regarding the stopping power of my bike in the wet, and the invisibility of my 320 lumen front light.

Deer in the bikelights moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just managed to break in time before going into the back of a car yesterday I barely flicked his back bumper in the end.

All caused by the car in front of me braking suddenly for pedestrians but the real cause was the taxi parked up on double yellows on a bend of 2 of the busiest streets in Limerick

I don’t think so. I don’t think he saw me at all until he heard me skidding towards him. Onus was on me to see him, of course, which I did, I just couldn’t stop. Combination of wet weather, a tailwind and my tyres, I suspect. They’re threadless Schwalbe Kojaks. I should probably get something grippier for the winter.

I felt very bad because when I realised he was fine, I just cycled off without saying anything. He was falling over himself apologising to me. I just got such a fright. If he happens to read this, I’m sorry for being a prick!

Actually, on the subject of grippier tyres, I think someone here (CramCycle?) uses the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. How do you find them for traction/braking in the wet? I love the durability of the Kojaks, but it’s not the first time I’ve had an issue with them in the wet (I skidded braking and went head over heels right in front of a security camera on the ramp into the car park at work last year!)

I love using Schwalbe. I find they have the right balance between slick and grooved for someone like me why is very image conscious about my bike.

Not sure how much better or worse than any other similar tyre they are but I like em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Actually, on the subject of grippier tyres, I think someone here (CramCycle?) uses the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. How do you find them for traction/braking in the wet? I love the durability of the Kojaks, but it’s not the first time I’ve had an issue with them in the wet (I skidded braking and went head over heels right in front of a security camera on the ramp into the car park at work last year!)

I have those on my commuter.

They aren't the fastest but are rock solid with good grip imo.

An absolute pain to get on the rim though. I don't think I'd be able to change a tube at the side of the road. The puncture resistance is great so I doubt I'll ever need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Marathons are ok for grip. Not the grippiest but I've never actually felt the need to put on anything grippier, so good enough but still be careful.

There is a knack to getting them on the rim, (Zip ties are very helpful) but you won't want to be doing it on the side of the road in the rain. Touch wood I have never got a puncture with them through something sharp getting through the tire. Keep them pumped up though, I got a couple of pinch flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Marathons are ok for grip. Not the grippiest but I've never actually felt the need to put on anything grippier, so good enough but still be careful.

There is a knack to getting them on the rim, (Zip ties are very helpful) but you won't want to be doing it on the side of the road in the rain. Touch wood I have never got a puncture with them through something sharp getting through the tire. Keep them pumped up though, I got a couple of pinch flats.

These are why I carry a travel bottle of soap in the saddlebag - to lube the tyre over the rim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is a way to get Marathons easily, memory tells me you have to leave them in the hollow in the centre, and hold them there as they are so rigid, they naturally pop out. The larger sizes are also easier to fit IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Steoller wrote: »
    These are why I carry a travel bottle of soap in the saddlebag - to lube the tyre over the rim.

You can now consider this excellent idea to be well and truly stolen!

• Advertisement

You can now consider this excellent idea to be well and truly stolen!

Handy for washing the hands too if you slip a chain or something, saves you getting grubby bartape. Squirt of the water bottle and soap and another squirt of the bottle.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 CharlieS031

Hi! I am new to the group, and was wondering if someone can help me choose an ideal tyre for ice. I was riding the other day and slipped a couple of times. My climacell app shows that the temperatures are going to dip a bit further after the rains are over. So I am thinking I must b prepared for it. I have a Schwinn touring bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can get studded tyres. I've never seen anyone use them here. I've a mate in Sweden who uses them in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Effects wrote: »
    You can get studded tyres. I've never seen anyone use them here. I've a mate in Sweden who uses them in the winter.

If you want truly 365 riding then best bet is a fatbike. Thats what the scandis use.

Mary1-cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I had a near miss a couple of years ago in the snow. Had recently gotten a hybrid bike with narrower tyres, not realising how much less grip they would have. Bike came out from under me on a straight stretch of road and a car behind me had to stop suddenly as I landed out in front of them.

Foolish mistake that I'll never make again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ED E wrote: »
    If you want truly 365 riding then best bet is a fatbike. Thats what the scandis use.

Nah, that's what you think they use. Most of them use really old, beat up bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Saturday morning on Grange road, mammy motorist didn't like that I was on the road and not in my little cycle lane. She beeped me, squeezed through and broke the red light heading towards Nutgrove SC.

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, that's what you think they use. Most of them use really old, beat up bikes.

Speaking of Fat Bikes, I like watching this around this time of year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1q8nObJkU&t=6s

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Another fine abomination of a cycle lane ending up ahead at those lights.

I used to ride that way myself, it stops and dumps you onto the road a few times along there, passes a bus shelter and further up you'd usually have cars parked on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement

Steoller wrote: »
    Overtook on a roundabout, inside the same lane, turning right. Camera catches it but only my front one so misses where he slows and pulls in on my rear wheel. Off to the gardai tomorrow, they were at the roundabout but didn't feel bothered to get involved.

No camera this morning but holy sh1t the DB beside me gave me a fright, and i in return scared the sh1t out of his passengers. Coming up to a bus stop he started to overtake and pull in. I dropped anchor and let a roar. Skid stopped and thankfully I did as he only tuned in to what was happening as he stopped at the kerb. I made my way around to the look of terrified passengers.

Thankfully, a) I wasn't crushed and b) he put his hands up straight away, apologised, said he honestly doesn't know how he missed me and no one to blame but himself.

Well the nest few junctions and lights turned into a Mrs. Doyle sketch where I was trying to tell him he was OK, and he kept apologising.

He certainly won't lose attention again.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Missed a pedestrian by a whisker this morning. Cycling on the new cycle lane in Dun Laoghaire, a lady stepped out onto the path from between two cars about 5m in front of me. Had to swerve around her last second with a few inches to spare, thankfully i was going slowly and there was nobody coming towards me.

She seemed to think it was my fault judging by her reaction. Having used that path frequently enough I'm very slow and cautious in certain parts of it, and only for that I probably would have hit her.

I'm a big fan of the infrastructure there but everytime im on it, I cant help but think its an accident waiting to happen.

Chris871 wrote: »

I'm a big fan of the infrastructure there but everytime im on it, I cant help but think its an accident waiting to happen.

Infrastructure doesn't have accidents.
    Idiots who don't look before crossing a road are the accidents waiting to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Samuel Beckett this afternoon, guy in front of me in the cycle lane on convention centre side of the bridge kept going at full tilt through a red, when pedestrian lights was green, and almost took out someone who was crossing the road/lane. Not sure how he held it together through the wobble when he swerved

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Infrastructure doesn't have collisions.
    Idioys who don't look before crossing a road are the collisions waiting to happen

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The absolute state of this driving.. Around kids too:

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1336700679847632901?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

The absolute state of this driving.. Around kids too:

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1336700679847632901?s=19

That’s horrendous. I think they reported it -now let’s see what the Guards do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

invisible-typewriter.gif

The Gardaí don't seem to be as proactive on the socials as some of their UK counterparts.

They can be just as useless in real life unfortunately, in my experience anyway. Especially in relation to close passes. Depends who you get I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

just saw this bully in a Porsche having to back down...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1337175598486138883

I love the look the dog gives at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus, what a dose. There was a time when Porsche drivers could actually drive properly. They were car enthusiasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

qwertz wrote: »
    South Hill Avenue in Blackrock seems to be a favourite for bloody eejits trying to force me off the road when coming at me in my lane. This happens at least once per week.

Had some elderly driver try to force me out of his way and when I politely explained to him that I don’t appreciate his behaviour, especially when he jerked his car towards me by another half meter. He resorted to calling me a f’ing foreigner. I suppose one can always be racist when the argument has been lost :)

The cream of the country in Blackrock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

Nearly mowed down a youngster yesterday. Country road near ballincollig. I know the road, came upon her at a bend so hung back until the straight afterwards. Noted she wasn't very visible but thought nothing more of it. Round corner, road clear, indicate and move right over to give max clearance. Accelerate to pass and she does a hard right with no warning. I slammed on and my Abs let me steer back to the left to avoid her. Fricking close one. I'm glad I was paying attention. The road was clear ahead so I was watching her. Helmet on the bars.... Best place for it..... She got a right fright though and I stopped and explained a few things

If you know anyone who's a bit lax on the safety please tell them to put that lid on and wear something high viz.

If you know anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

And as pointed out this is getting off the thread topic. No point arguing about things that people have a no budge point of view on.

MOD VOICE: Posts relating to Hi Vis moved to Hi Vis thread, any further replies should head over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

That is an absolute shocker, how an Garda haven't done anything with this is baffling.pure stupidity to come in when he saw the bike, followed by lunacy of trying to overtake.
    It wouldn't be 200 euro I'd be after.
    Straight into the insurance company if cyclist has it, if not, on to the uninsured drivers dept (mibi, I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

***not me - spotted on Twitter just now...
    https://twitter.com/rohal_/status/1338555861619322889

Go back to the station and ask for appointment with super. Tell them this is not going away and you want it followed up, if not it’s gsoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

wheelo01 wrote: »
    That is an absolute shocker, how an Garda haven't done anything with this is baffling.pure stupidity to come in when he saw the bike, followed by lunacy of trying to overtake.
    It wouldn't be 200 euro I'd be after.
    Straight into the insurance company if cyclist has it, if not, on to the uninsured drivers dept (mibi, I think)

this right here^^^

i hear of too many people who cycle who are only too happy to let a driver off with just paying for the repairs to the bike. then have all sorts of hassle getting the money and getting it in a timely fashion.
    they might agree a few euro for a new wheel or whatever but never get the frame checked. some wont even go see a doctor about their injuries.

if you are in a collision get insurance details, go to a doctor, make a claim.
    you are entitled to it, and its what insurance is for. dont let people shame you into "all claims are a scam" stuff.

if you are injured and your property is damaged insurance is to set it right. a professional assessor will look at your claim, if you think thye offered too much then turn it down. if it turns out to be only 50eu for a buckled wheel then the driver can pay off their insurance and wont lose their NCB. theyll still get a loading for being a sh!t driver but who have they got to blame for that?

and lastly, the gardai wont do a thing. they see most non fatal motor collisions as as civil issue that can be settled by the insurers.

Just to add that the PIAB is there as a service if you do not want to use a solicitor or go to court. The process is a bit of a faff but its not too bad and the PIAB staff are very easy to deal with. Its a concilliation process and it does not harm your chances if an agreement isn't made. You can still pursue through the courts (ala Maria Bailey :p). I used the PIAB and was satisfied with the outcome, personal injury awards are in line with the book of quantum so should not be confused with inflated claims etc.

I am nearly certain that they do. They did as part of my claim for some minor damage th the bike but there was a personal injury claim to go with it. Just remember that each claim costs you 40quid (admin fee) that the insured party pays if they accept the settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do PIAB resolve non-medical claims e.g. the cost of damage to the person's bike?

I don't think so. I was in such a situation. The system is actually set up in favour of inflated personal injury claims. I found it extremely difficult to get compensated for bike-only damage. In the absence of potential personal injury payout the game wasn't worth the candle for a solicitor

Actually I just checked - I'm wrong - there has to be an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You can’t fall off a bike and not be injured to some degree, even slightly.

I just remembered I very, very nearly got doored by a taxi driver the other day. They didn't bother pulling into the rank as it really looked, but did some sort of half arsed parking, so even with me elaving the room expected, they didn't on their part. A loud "Jesus Christ" got a sheepish apology at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

After my first solid year of cycling to work today I had my first incident ever where I felt unsafe. Guy came about two inches from my handlebars, I had to swerve left after as he kept coming left during the overtake. Definitely intentional, started laying on the horn when I overtook him 14 seconds later at the lights though I spent the next 100m right behind the car in front. Wound down the window to yell that I should be on the (non-existent) cycle path. All I could do was gawk at the ignorant head on him, just as well cause I'm going to call Traffic Watch about it, hopefully they do something.

Pales into insignificance compared to the last incident in this thread, but I'm genuinely put out, never had a confrontation before, thought it was just a Dublin (and Righttobikeit :D) thing.

536229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

WTF did he think he was doing... cycling in a shared cycle/bus lane when there was a very important car wanting to use it for himself/ herself? I bet he doesn't even pay road tax. Hope the paint work on the door didn't get scuffed by pedals/ bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

TheChizler wrote: »
    After my first solid year of cycling to work today I had my first incident ever where I felt unsafe. Guy came about two inches from my handlebars, I had to swerve left after as he kept coming left during the overtake. Definitely intentional, started laying on the horn when I overtook him 14 seconds later at the lights though I spent the next 100m right behind the car in front. Wound down the window to yell that I should be on the (non-existent) cycle path. All I could do was gawk at the ignorant head on him, just as well cause I'm going to call Traffic Watch about it, hopefully they do something.

Pales into insignificance compared to the last incident in this thread, but I'm genuinely put out, never had a confrontation before, thought it was just a Dublin (and Righttobikeit :D) thing.

Just so you know...modern car body panels are made of very thin metal. A good thump with your fist makes a very loud noise inside the car! If the driver asks why you thumped his car, just tell him you were making sure he wasn't deaf as well as blind! ��

I'm just wondering if this is what makes some drivers (and that scumbag/Bully garda) think I have whacked their car at the merest tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if this is what makes some drivers (and that scumbag/Bully garda) think I have whacked their car at the merest tap.

Thump the side of a van and the drivers ears will be ringing for hours! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

If a car overtakes you and you feel anyway unsafe feel free to whack the car as you are in danger. They are required to give you 1 meter space and Michael Phelp's arms aren't even that long so, in my opinion, there can be no complaints. you are letting them know you do not want to be crushed.

If they want to claim you damaged their car let them know you damaged your hand while they put you in danger.

Disclaimer: I know funk all about the law so take your own council and I in no way suggest violence just defense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement