Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well they were out in force today, Bloody Thursdays. Zombies walked out in front of me in Bray but I seen it coming so no real risk, just stupid, then on the far side of it a car cut me off while turning in front of me. An astonished look of "bikes go faster than walking" on his face but nothing close to an apology, I just raised my arms in annoyance and he shot me a dirty look for the gall of having existed. Next came the 84 bus which went for a proper punishment pass, pulled in nice and tight as it was half way through the overtake. Thankfully the 145 behind him was more gracious and also realised I would be out of the way in a few seconds.

This said, everyone else was super nice, with cars waiting behind at roundabouts and as I indicated around buses etc.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭doughef

robinph wrote: »
    The car driver was looking for a confrontation. Blocking the chance of a pass on the right, then gets annoyed that the cyclist moved to the left whilst he wasn't watching his mirrors so squeezes him to the left.

Disagree entirely.

I think the cyclist was the aggressor here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

doughef wrote: »
    Disagree entirely.

Disagree entirely.

I think the motorist was the aggressor here.

doughef wrote: »
    Disagree entirely.

Its a mixture really, the driver cuts him off, intentionally. The car in front is to the kerb, indicating left, he knows where the cyclist who is travelling faster than him is going to go and lets not kid each other, he blocks him intentionally (I see it all the time on the M50 and the N11), stupidly and like a gobs****. This said, the cyclist shouldn't have presumed, as I don't think he was clear from the front of the car, at best his rear wheel was in line with the bumper of the car, he should have checked more carefully rather than drifting over presuming he was clear. And he does drift, he was 15cm from the edge line and then he was 80cm from the edge line when he hits the car.
    None of this excuses the car driver getting out and going for a beating, listening to the words of the driver, I suspect the two of them have met before as he isn't talking about cyclists, he calls him specifically.
    Either way, they are both stupid f***wits, one though is a criminal who should have kept his calm, they both need to be better on the road. The cyclist was just slightly unobservant and panicked when he seen what was happening, the driver is still an out and out pr1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭doughef

Duckjob wrote: »
    No way!! You do ?

giphy.gif

Not sure why you decided to post a smart ass reply ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you look at the video carefully the driver is constantly braking to leave a gap in front of him to accelerate when it would be suitable for the cyclist to overtake.

It's very obvious to anyone here who's an experienced cyclist and a seasoned motorist what's going on here, the driver is is bored and juvenilely trying to control the situation by positioning his car in order to make it as awkward as possible for the cyclist to overtake. When the opportunity arose where the bike could pass he took it as a personal insult and tried to bully the biker off the road claiming "you undertook me".

Both the driver and cyclist knew exactly the chess game going on here. The cyclist may have over reacted but the driver had an agenda and was playing his little macho game from the start, he completely went over the top when he went on his "blue collar tough man" agro session in his 70k Audi.

He's lucky he didn't meet a different cyclist without cameras that may have defended his punches, cracked his jaw and cycled off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mc Love wrote: »
    This happened to me last week, hairy enough situation

https://twitter.com/MacL0ve/status/1371366648792375296?s=20

you're able to read a plate that quick?? should join the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

fryup wrote: »
    you're able to read a plate that quick?? should join the guards

Am i missing something?:confused:It's visible clearly when you press pause on the twitter link...

Nevermind, I didn't have sound on and missed what you were referencing and him calling out the plate. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Kander wrote: »
    Am i missing something?:confused: It's visible clearly when you press pause on the twitter link...

He called it out in the video. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Went for a cycle beside the airport today with a neighbor, very little traffic so we were side by side for some parts.

Have to say I was shocked by the amount of cars that beeped at us. Little to no traffic coming in the opposite direction so plenty of space to pass us.

We were beeped at more than 10 times and one driver stopped looking for a fight after some hand signals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thargor wrote: »

I thought it was sped up the first time I watched it, but no, he was actually going that fast overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

And the car behind the truck aswell overtaking into oncoming traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

neris wrote: »
    And the car behind the truck aswell overtaking into oncoming traffic

is it not 2 lanes going in that direction? Looks like one of those horrible roads where they have squashed in 2 lanes and left no hard shoulder. Scary no matter what..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Poor timing by the Garda when overtaking, just before the junction.

https://streamable.com/ogdm2i

• Advertisement

Cable over the road there at the beginning? Monitoring traffic levels I assume, though normally they have a pair of them don't they :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had to head out to Howth for work yesterday, in the car, and noticed a lot of cyclists heading up to the summit.
    On the way back down, a car coming towards me decided to overtake 6 cyclists, going two abreast.
    Had to brake hard myself to avoid collision, as there wasn't enough room, with him on the wrong side of the road. Still don't understand drivers who can't wait 10 seconds to pass safely.

Cable over the road there at the beginning? Monitoring traffic levels I assume, though normally they have a pair of them don't they :confused:

Yeah, not sure what was going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's there for ages unless the lifted and replaced it since I've been that way.

Coming past a petrol station and a car cut across me, I let a roar but more focused on the brakes which prove to me that when its needed, discs and rims do the same job. I do wonder if braking was the right call, maybe I should have turned in completely and swerved in as we stopped wheel to bumper. Shouting was the right call as it woke him up and he slammed on. Had to rest inside the entrance I swerved into for a minute, lovely lady came over to me to offer me a cuppa tea. And to be fair to the driver (after they parked up), called over to see I was OK and apologised, hands up, admitted fault, no excuses. I asked was he OK. Other than he had to go straight home for a new pair of underwear he said he would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming past a petrol station and a car cut across me, I let a roar but more focused on the brakes which prove to me that when its needed, discs and rims do the same job. I do wonder if braking was the right call, maybe I should have turned in completely and swerved in as we stopped wheel to bumper. Shouting was the right call as it woke him up and he slammed on. Had to rest inside the entrance I swerved into for a minute, lovely lady came over to me to offer me a cuppa tea. And to be fair to the driver (after they parked up), called over to see I was OK and apologised, hands up, admitted fault, no excuses. I asked was he OK. Other than he had to go straight home for a new pair of underwear he said he would be fine.

Fair play to them for admitting their error. Hard to argue with the outcome, in that he won't be at fault for anything like that again any time soon!

Refreshing

ffs like, I think posted here about having a skittery moment on those cables in the wet before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

Might they be anything to do with the possible subsidence issue that the road was closed for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might they be anything to do with the possible subsidence issue that the road was closed for?

You mean the pr1ck issue?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-at-centre-of-dublin-mountains-road-closure-row-in-talks-with-insurers-1.3553834

Think its all closed out anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ED E wrote: »

Never heard about that. Wow.
    Impressive gob****ing

BBC Videos released by Police in SE England.
    Couple at 1:30 involving cycling.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3548987531833386&id=150467675018739&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=feed&player_format=permalink

Done serious lunacy in there

Stark wrote: »
    Looking at the footage of the cars pulling in without giving enough room on the motorway makes me wonder how many I'd "score" if I had a dashcam on my car. Seems to be a regular occurrence any time I drive on a motorway.

Can you imagine, after the volume of footage, the Gardai or whatever department handle it would have to shut down based on the M50 footage alone. Poor Supers in stations having to write back to every query on a fine to explain that, yes, what you are doing is dangerous, poor driving and illegal.

I would love to see how long it took to lead to an improvement. My money says between 1 to 3 months, for enough people to get fined for it to sink in that what they are doing is not acceptable.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3548987531833386&id=150467675018739&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=feed&player_format=permalink

I've seen a lot of the behaviour in the latter half of the video. I must invest in a dashcam!

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of the behaviour in the latter half of the video. I must invest in a dashcam!

Very important for insurance and prosecutions here if you are involved in an accident. Regrettably other than that here, unless someone was hit, most gardai will actively avoid getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had someone skim me at 81km in a 60km zone over Easter weekend. Not good. Porterstownm Road in West Dublin. 100km plus is not unusual along this road according to the illuminated radar sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qzh9BEco6BXanw5W6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Duckjob wrote: »
    Baffles me how some of those are categorised as “driving without due care” when they’re clearly pre-meditated acts of dangerous driving.

Like has been said, burden of proof or something like that. It's easier for the gardai/police to successfully charge someone with careless driving than dangerous driving I reckon.

With my case, the initial charge was going to be dangerous driving but it was eventually careless driving, despite having a video of it and the driver well aware I was there. I felt like arguing that there was no way it could have been without due care or attention as me smacking the vehicle was enough to get their attention at the start of the incident, but yet they carried on well aware I was now there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

why are the fines so random? none of them are round figures.

A lot of £811 fines in there. Strange number.

I wonder how many of those incidents would have been prosecuted by our own boys in blue if the same videos were submitted here - 1 or 2 maybe?

The rest would have been 'sure you didn't get hit, so what's the problem'.

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm stopped at a light this evening and a feral 15 year old decides to pass me on the left, breaking the red, doing a wheelie, with the front wheel rotated to the right, missing my head by I reckon less than a foot. He knew what he was at too, he turned around and had a good look at me as he rode off.

I do wonder what goes through those kids heads. Not a single person thinks its impressive or cool bar the person doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I had a close one this morning. On the roundabout at Junction 6 on the M4. Entering from Barnhall Road, and intending to exit for Leixlip, as I passed the Celbridge exit, a guy in a black Ford decided to go for the westbound exit without once looking right. I had a clear view of his face for the whole approach. I roared and dropped anchor. We had maybe a foot between us when we both stopped.

He never knew I was there - held his hand up in apology when he stopped. Stay safe out there.

I have decided that my next campaign for road safety is going to be for mandatory sunglasses in all cars, that must be worn at designated times of year.

I have decided that my next campaign for road safety is going to be for mandatory sunglasses in all cars, that must be worn at designated times of year.

Agreed
    About 3/4 weeks ago I met a Volvo XC90 (you know those houses on wheels) on a relatively wide road lately - 2 cars could meet without stopping - still narrow to an XC90

Anyway she was driving into the sun and straight up the middle of the road.

I stopped and gave a roar as she got towards me. She gestured at the sun and kinda shrugged - as if what do you want me to do??

Never deviated from her line even with the road

Luckily I have had very few issues lately but it is starting to creep in again. However, the only involvement of a MPV in this clip from this morning is the van driver who, thankfully, was alert to his surroundings and moved away from the danger.

Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, the main Belfast - Rosslare route and roadworks going on seemingly forever. The 'cycle lane' was very obviously an afterthought. Some bollards to the right (most of which were knocked away last weekend) and a cast iron barrier to the left. This is despite strong objections from cyclists locally, all of which fell on deaf ears.

Rode on it yesterday without issue. Then today this happened as they had removed the 'cycle lane' with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I got quite a shock over this to the point that where the video stops I actually got off the bike - and I'm not easily shocked.

Language alert before viewing:

Please report to the council immediately, that needs to be rectified ASAP, plenty of people use that regularly (myself included). fixmystreet.ie probably the quickest way

• Advertisement

Please report to the council immediately, that needs to be rectified ASAP, plenty of people use that regularly (myself included). fixmystreet.ie probably the quickest way

Did that just before posting here

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

getting back out into the countryside in the last few days reminded me that there are 16 year olds driving tractors which take up nearly the full width of the road. to be fair, i had been coming downhill at speed, but he didn't even slow.

There's an old farmer, or possibly someone associated with the golf club around Corrstown who drives on a vintage tractor, that is not remotely fast not big, but always seems to be out when I'm on that stretch. In fairness, they are always very sound though.

Anyway, Raheny on Tuesday on the way back from Howth. I'm in the Bus lane. Merc in the other lane. Indicating right, I presume they live in one of the houses opposite side, or are visiting them. Nope. They want to do a U-Turn over hatched markings followed by a long solid line. Not only do they want to do that, I have no idea they want to do that, but also wish to hook left first to make the turn easier for them.

Only I had it in my head he was going to do something stupid, I might have kicking off wing mirror to save myself or under his wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's an old farmer, or possibly someone associated with the golf club around Corrstown who drives on a vintage tractor, that is not remotely fast not big, but always seems to be out when I'm on that stretch. In fairness, they are always very sound though.

A blue 60's reg Ford Tractor? He lives just up from the entrance to St.Margarets Golf club as you head to Oldtown. Can't miss his house...it's a bit rough!

Email received from Wicklow council within 2 hours of reporting this. Received outside office hours too. Acknowledgement and profuse apology. They say the matter has been brought to the attention of the contractor who has been informed that the cycle path must be maintained at all times for the entire duration of the works.

Should they step out of line and anyone here is passing the contact email is roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie

UPDATE: I meant to mention earlier that this cycle path, for all the good it is, was up and running again as of this evennig when I drove past at 8pm

Good to know there are people in the CC's who will act and take that kind of thing very seriously. I've had a few very positive interactions with Meath CC for a few things over the years but don't get me started on Louth CC :mad:

Good on you for reporting it sy that didn't look pretty in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Luckily I have had very few issues lately but it is starting to creep in again. However, the only involvement of a MPV in this clip from this morning is the van driver who, thankfully, was alert to his surroundings and moved away from the danger.

Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, the main Belfast - Rosslare route and roadworks going on seemingly forever. The 'cycle lane' was very obviously an afterthought. Some bollards to the right (most of which were knocked away last weekend) and a cast iron barrier to the left. This is despite strong objections from cyclists locally, all of which fell on deaf ears.

Rode on it yesterday without issue. Then today this happened as they had removed the 'cycle lane' with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I got quite a shock over this to the point that where the video stops I actually got off the bike - and I'm not easily shocked.

Language alert before viewing:

I would of walked back to those workers and given them a piece of my mind - fcukin idiots.

• Advertisement

i had to deal with meath CC for a non-cycling related matter about 10 years ago, and it was an eye opener how explicit they were in a 'we're not going to do our job' reaction (related to illegal dumping of C&D waste)

Really? Litter was one of the things I dealt with them with a few times and they were great. Though that was only in the last 3 or 4 years. I've reported road surface and lighting issues and they were promptly dealt with too.

worth sticking that up on twitter too maybe? with the acknowledgment that the council acted promptly?

I don't do Twitter. I did for a day, then someone or other I was following put up a picture of their dinner! Adios amigo after that

I would of walked back to those workers and given them a piece of my mind - fcukin idiots.

Funny you should say that. Just at the point where my video ends I got off my bike and stepped onto the hard shoulder and roared abuse back at the workers - or nobody in particular really I suppose. That would be a bit of shock I'm guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nice video.

Hope nobody reports a coypu.

Fortunate that I wasn't about a second earlier and a little bit closer - idiot never thought of looking or checking mirrors. Sound muted to cut out swearing.

https://streamable.com/hxxn8y

• Advertisement
Advertisement