Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭doughef

Went out for a spin this morning and this prat decided to overtake me on a narrow road coming towards a left hand bend with two oncoming cars approaching
    I left the sound on it so the horn of the onconimg car was audible but this meant my use of the F-word is also audible :(

Are you not out in the middle of the road causing an obstruction?
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

doughef wrote: »

This makes you sound incredibly stupid.

You're right - I'm not!
    If you look carefully, you'll see some white paint indicating the middle of the road.

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    This makes you sound incredibly stupid.

That’s not very polite

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yeah, and those aresholes in the cars coming the other way are also obstructing that lane.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Please don’t edit my posts.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yeah, and those aresholes in the cars coming the other way are also obstructing that lane.

I disagree. Surely they were just driving along ?

I was in the left lane. Where else shoukd I be?
    I have as much right to use the road as the dick from Re***kil. I am not hugging the side of the road as this is dangerous. I am following the recommendations from the Road Safety Authority on cycling safely.
    If the sick behind me cannot pass safely then even if I move slightly to my left, he still can't pass me safely. It's really not that hard to understand.

Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

its an unbroken line, so the video taker should not be moving into the side to encourage passing out.

To the video taker - you are in the right but looking at that road, it looks fairly dangerous to be cycling on. you sure you want to be exercising your right to cycle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The cyclist in the video was not in the middle of the road, there is no debate on this. Nonetheless if a poster doesn't not understand this, please explain it rather than name calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

By this logic, all vehicles are an obstruction and shouldn't be on the road.

Jusr to add, i am 100% in the right. My road position is as per the rules of the road.
    The overtaking driver is 100% in the wrong for the following:
    * dangerously passing a vulnerable road user
    * overtaking on a solid white line
    * overtaking on the approach to a blind bend
    * overtaking while there is oncoming traffic

Do you still think I'm in the wrong and if so please explain why?

The video gives a perspective of a cyclist too far out from the verge - making it unsafe for motorists to pass safely.
    I understand I wasn’t there and your emotionally involved.
    Sometimes emotions can get the better of us in dangerous situations

Glad nobody was hurt

There is nowhere in that lane that the cyclist could have been where the exact same thing would not have happened. The only way the near miss would not have happened is if the van had waited and overtook when it was safe to do so. Its a single lane, the van cannot safely overtake within the lane. If you look at the video you will notice two really important things that show this to be true. Firstly, it is a solid white line indicating that they should not overtake. Secondly, when they pull back in to avoid the oncoming cars, you will notice that the space to the side of the van would not accommodate a pedestrian, cyclist or in fact, anyone. Are you seeing something that I am not? because I really can't fathom how anyone sees it any differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Solid white line approaching a bend?
    The video gives a perspective of a cyclist too far out from the verge - making it unsafe for motorists to pass safely.

If you think that road was not wide enough for someone in a car to safely overtake a cyclist, perhaps you shouldn't drive them.

To the video taker - you are in the right but looking at that road, it looks fairly dangerous to be cycling on. you sure you want to be exercising your right to cycle on it.

MOD VOICE: Don't go down this road, it is a public road, it is not about exercising rights which implies it was done to prove a point. Leave it there, if you disagree, any discussion can be done via PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sometimes emotions can get the better of us in dangerous situations

Glad nobody was hurt

The motorist did not have to pass. It was the motorist who choose to pass in a dangerous manner. The cyclist had nothing to do with the motorists decision. He was traffic too. If it had been a car that the van driver had passed, then it would also have been a dangerous choice. The motorist is the only one at fault for making idiotic choices that endangered other peoples lives.

The motorist did not have to pass. It was the motorist who choose to pass in a dangerous manner. The cyclist had nothing to do with the motorists decision. He was traffic too. If it had been a car that the van driver had passed, then it would also have been a dangerous choice. The motorist is the only one at fault for making idiotic choices that endangered other peoples lives.

Sound - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Why is everyone feeding the troll :confused:

• Advertisement

He makes a bimonthly appearance in these threads. I did think he was banned though.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Why is everyone feeding the troll :confused:

Why would anyone be a troll if they are asking legitimate questions?
    Just because they don’t suit the narrative?

Not very nice .

He makes a bimonthly appearance in these threads. I did think he was banned though.

Thanks- but please don’t discuss me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think that an overtaking driver could have safely passed any cyclist, even one riding in the gutter, without crossing the centre line?

Does walking the bike count?

Headed off with the wee fella to a farm a couple of km up the road. He was in the trailer and I was on a road bike. Got a puncture, and called for backup as he isn’t feeling well today. My wife came in the car and got him and the trailer. Of course I didn’t have anything to fix the puncture with as I was going to be so close to home.

So I went walking home pushing the bike in the hard shoulder facing oncoming traffic. I heard a big vehicle coming behind me. I didn’t worry about it as it was the opposite side of a wide road and I was in the opposite hard shoulder. Just as it passed me, a car passes it, and missed the handlebars by about 5cm. All I know is that it was a white car. It was going too fast to catch any other details.

Left hooked by a driver on the phone, who didn't indicate and swerved into the bus lane. Let a roar that everyone bar the driver heard, they just kept chatting away. I am not a quiet guy, it was frightening that they could have actually hit me and never even realised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Had a driver pass me on a blind RH bend, he went over the white line then had to swerve to avoid a yellow council van coming in the other direction. Gave him the 2 finger salute and he pulled in. He tried to convince me that he was in the right and that he has every right to cross the white line etc. When I reminded him that it was a bad bend he said that he could see any oncoming traffic through a gap in the hedge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Had a driver pass me on a blind RH bend, he went over the white line then had to swerve to avoid a yellow council van coming in the other direction. Gave him the 2 finger salute and he pulled in. He tried to convince me that he was in the right and that he has every right to cross the white line etc. When I reminded him that it was a bad bend he said that he could see any oncoming traffic through a gap in the hedge!

Amazing how they don't have time to hold back for 10-20 seconds and pass safely, but have all the time in the world to argue it out afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Close one earlier today, young fella in a Golf coming from the direction of Barton Road ploughed straight through the roundabout without looking or yielding, thankfully I braked in time to avoid a collision. Had a word with him near Nutgrove SC, said he didn't see me but how could he if wasn't looking.

Amazing how they don't have time to hold back for 10-20 seconds and pass safely, but have all the time in the world to argue it out afterwards.

I actually said that to him! One of the guys that works for me knows him and apparently he was reported to the Guards a couple of months ago for reckless driving!

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Close one earlier today, young fella in a Golf coming from the direction of Barton Road ploughed straight through the roundabout without looking or yielding, thankfully I braked in time to avoid a collision. Had a word with him near Nutgrove SC, said he didn't see me but how could he if wasn't looking.

Used to live in that area, would be unusual if a week went by when I didn't get beeped at or nearly taken out of it there. Usually from idiots coming from Nutgrove side as I was proceeding around to Barton Rd. or cars beeping from behind as they felt I was slowing them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Cycling along Leopardstown Road which has possibly one of the worst cycle lanes I’ve encountered so I’m sure on the road. 2 lanes, minimal traffic. Some gob****e in a pickup truck still felt the need to give me a good 5 second blast as he overtook me in the also empty outside lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Horrible road, horrible cycle track, and unfortunately quite an entitled and horrible neighbourhood.

Yeah it’s not one of my favourite routes. But it is the way I usually go to get up to the mountains so end up on it quite regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in the car now for the foreseeable future. Freelancing with heavy gear so the bike isn't an option. When I was employed by a company I used to commute on the bike the gear was already there.

Have any of you notice when driving cars or vans if you hang back and give the cyclists space, indicate and give them lots of room the driver behind you seems to do the same?

It's usually the 3rd and subsequent ones that don't. Same thing at roundabouts if the first person indicates it seems to reminds some to use theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm in the car now for the foreseeable future. Freelancing with heavy gear so the bike isn't an option. When I was employed by a company I used to commute on the bike the gear was already there.

Have any of you notice when driving cars or vans if you hang back and give the cyclists space, indicate and give them lots of room the driver behind you seems to do the same?

Yes!
    Also haven't yet had a beep from the car behind telling me that i was holding them up. They seem to be happy enough when it's another car slowing them.
    It's a slow process but even doing one at a time helps.

John_Rambo wrote: »

It definitely improves it, you can see them in your rear view mirror giving space and I know statistically it doesn't happen that well, that often. As said above though, once one returns to form , that is the end of the good will, also the few who will blindly follow such manoeuvres is also astonishing, not sure what is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycling along Leopardstown Road which has possibly one of the worst cycle lanes I’ve encountered so I’m sure on the road. 2 lanes, minimal traffic. Some gob****e in a pickup truck still felt the need to give me a good 5 second blast as he overtook me in the also empty outside lane.

Put in my annual query to DLR about the cycle lane on Leopardstown Road and got this response. But I won't hold my breath.

RE CRM 215016 Leopardstown Road cycle route

Dear xxx,

I note your request to improve the cycle route on Leopardstown Road.

We have obtained funding to improve this route in 2021 under the NTA Sustainable Transport Measures Grants (STMG) Programme 2021.
    We hope to progress a design later in the year but I don’t have a timeline at this time.

Regards

buffalo wrote: »
    Will he be getting a second report? I hope so!

Yup, done and dusted.

DELETED POST

You've got it wrong. The motorist pissed off the cyclist who responded with equal parts pettiness and truthfulness.

MOD VOICE: Doughef is on holiday, please do not respond to their posts in thread as they cannot reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

I use Rocwood/Leopardstown Road/Leopardstown Ave to avoid the worst of that.

The cycle lanes around the Park shopping centre in Cabinteely and the lane on Stillorgan Park Road are rotten as well. The new lanes on Lr Kilmacud Road near the Stillorgan shopping centre appear to be a thin layer of asphalt on top of sand and they are already rough - they will probably be in bits in a year or two. Even in Ireland a new road would never be constructed to such a poor standard.

I've twice cycled the length and breadth of Europe, and Dublin (in particular DLR and Dublin City) has the worst roads and cycle paths I've seen, with the exception of a handful of back roads in rural Poland (eg the DW354 that runs past the immense Turów open-pit coal mine) and some unpaved rural roads in Lithuania and Latvia. Warsaw has great cycle lanes.

Funnily enough, German cycle lanes are often really bad. In the countryside they have tree roots growing through them and are covered in a fine sand which cakes on your bike when it rains. In Hamburg they are in bits (or were when I was there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Dowee wrote: »
    was just met with the blank straight ahead stare.

Have had that happen to me.

Probably didn't think you'd catch up.

Refused to engaged cos he knew he fu€ked up.

Not man enough to apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

I always take centre lane on that bridge, the surface is dreadful and not worth the risk of accommodating someone to pass unless the other lane is clear. Most motorists are patient, but once had one practically lean on the horn most of the way across (even the rowers looked up to see what the commotion was).
    He eventually overtook, but of course was still waiting at the T-junction when i got there.

Most motorists are patient, but once had one practically lean on the horn most of the way across (even the rowers looked up to see what the commotion was).

Could leaning on the horn in this way be construed as assault? From the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997:

2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

[...]

(2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—

(a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

[...]

(3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

Could leaning on the horn in this way be construed as assault? From the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997:
    (3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.[/I]
    Not in that context as if you read the full sentence, they could argue that beeping a horn is not intended to cause injury (I don't agree) and they could argue they didn't know you would find it unacceptable (but they would be lying).
    On the same note, failure to leave appropriate distance between you and the vehicle in front (presuming they were not leaving enough distance as is often the case), driving without reasonable consideration, driver found to be driving carelessly. Fair amount of points and fines and a court appearance quite easily if the gardai were interested.

ARX wrote: »
    (3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.[/I]
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Not in that context as if you read the full sentence, they could argue that beeping a horn is not intended to cause injury (I don't agree) and they could argue they didn't know you would find it unacceptable (but they would be lying).
    On the same note, failure to leave appropriate distance between you and the vehicle in front (presuming they were not leaving enough distance as is often the case), driving without reasonable consideration, driver found to be driving carelessly. Fair amount of points and fines and a court appearance quite easily if the gardai were interested.
    I think that clause 3 is to be construed as follows: no offence is committed if all 3 of the following conditions hold:

1. The force or impact is not intended or likely to cause injury (intimidation rather than injury is (I assume) the usual intention so we'll take this as true);
    2. It is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life;
    3. The defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

If any of those is false then (by my amateur reading) an offence is committed.

I imagine a good prosecution could successfully argue that it is not "generally acceptable" or that the defendant did know that it was "in fact unacceptable to the other person". This of course is purely academic, as such a prosecution is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Got a nasty fishhook yesterday. Approaching an junction with the lights starting to change to amber, car behind suddenly sped up overtaking me by the lights and turned left on top of me. If I didn't see him turning the wheel and slam on my brakes, it would have been very nasty. Guy must have been brain dead to drive like that. Hate the way people see changing lights as a signal to speed up rather than slow down.

Ahead of a van at a red light, turning right, as they were also (although no indicator), got through and he drew level and then turned into me (left, immediately after the turn). I managed to swing into the turn and roar. He stopped and shrugged his shoulders and mouthed something. The peds at the lights and another white van man waiting to head the other way look shook, much like myself, they were probably convinced that an ambulance was about to be called. Absolute muppetry. There is not a hope in hell he didn't know I was there, ahead at the lights, ahead for most of the turn (except that is where he drew level with me), and at his front light as he turned. An absolute f*cker. What is wrong with people, even if what I had done was illegal or a provocation (it was neither), why would you do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I got over taken here

R150
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/d53t8hKYbyzJYRmg8

Yep. On a blind, 90 degree bend, with a junction coming in from the right.

As a runner and buggy pusher were waiting to cross and a passat was waiting to come out from the side road.

And he gave me a good 2m!!!!
    He went into the opposite lane altogether.
    Madness.

• Advertisement

I got over taken here

R150
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/d53t8hKYbyzJYRmg8

Yep. On a blind, 90 degree bend, with a junction coming in from the right.

As a runner and buggy pusher were waiting to cross and a passat was waiting to come out from the side road.

And he gave me a good 2m!!!!
    He went into the opposite lane altogether.
    Madness.

Not really a near miss at all but passed there the other evening, except I took the ****ty road from Colp over to the Piltown Rd to head to Bettystown. Just before the GAA Club had a clown along side me with the window down asking for directions to the cemetery , it's right f'n next to it but he's busy looking at me and ignoring the road in front of him :eek:

Advertisement