Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Every vehicle (except emergency ones) should block all mobile signals.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Surprised it’s that low.

Although not everyone who does will admit that they do.

I'd disagree - there are meaningful reasons for car occupants to need a mobile signal.
    We just need proper enforcement along with a fine that matches the consequences of the offence.

Proper enforcement and fines won’t happen though.

One of the comments on that tweet "The roads aren’t good enough eimear you shouldn’t be on a road like that." :mad:

Completely agree with Duckjob re: position on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Duckjob wrote: »
    Problem with riding near the edge in a place like that is you're giving bad drivers an invite to drive selfishly and endanger you.

Completely agree. The odd time I drive these days and I come up behind someone riding in the gutter like that and I could physically fit past without crossing the line there's an unconscious sense that I'm the one causing delay, and most people just overtake when that happens. Probably the same feeling that makes someone ride in the gutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Heading into Swords yesterday, just before JC's supermarket, and a black Audi A4 came in on top of me as they passed me. I was a good 1.5m out from the kerb so I had plenty of space to dart to my left to avoid being hit.

As we both rolled to a stop at the pedestrian lights a few metres later, I tapped on the passenger side window to ask politely for more room in future and did they realise they had nearly knocked me off.

The poor driver got such a fright from the tap on the window that she dropped her mobile phone.......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

TheChizler wrote: »
    Completely agree. The odd time I drive these days and I come up behind someone riding in the gutter like that and I could physically fit past without crossing the line there's an unconscious sense that I'm the one causing delay, and most people just overtake when that happens. Probably the same feeling that makes someone ride in the gutter.

Couple that with the people with cars who simply cannot drive and you have a recipe for disaster.

Off the top of my head I know
    An aunt who won't drive bigger than a micra and cannot reverse said micra
    A mate's ex who I had to refuse to take a lift off. Scared the **** out of me by driving straight onto a main road without looking and then nt seeing the problem with this!!
    My own cousin who stopped on the motorway and made her brother drive as the "cars are going so fast"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Got cut off by a white micra covered in anti choice material.
    The irony was lost on them :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    Got cut off by a white micra covered in anti choice material.
    The irony was lost on them :rolleyes:

I remember coming through town when the big anti choice parade was on when 2 adults herded a couple of kids straight out into the road while traffic was moving The irony was too much for my small mind to bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

The poor driver got such a fright from the tap on the window that she dropped her mobile phone.......:mad:

It’d be funny if it wasn’t true 50% of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

This is a story from a few years ago but don't think I ever told anyone about it. I was waiting at a very awkward five road junction with a queue of traffic behind me waiting for the green light. A green light appears, but just for the adjacent road which is at about 30 degrees to the one I'm on so you can clearly see their light when it changes.

I figure the guy behind me thought it was green for him and proceeds to nudge my back tyre with his car! I turn around and give him the WTF arms up in the air and I could see him absolutely furious behind the wheel, despite me pointing to the clearly red light. He must have thought he had to stay committed to the fury and couldn't stand to admit fault, even with his clearly embarrassed girlfriend in the passenger seat trying to calm him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Every vehicle (except emergency ones) should block all mobile signals.

And eight of the other nine admitted to being liars.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Blake's cross to skerries today. I know a few do that road regularly. F*ckin he'll the standard of driving is bad.

I'd consider 1 pass a in a long cycle a bad one such is the rarity really. Every few vehicles though on this stretch until I got beyond lusk at least was brutal

Weepsie wrote: »
    Blake's cross to skerries today. I know a few do that road regularly. F*ckin he'll the standard of driving is bad.

I'd consider 1 pass a in a long cycle a bad one such is the rarity really. Every few vehicles though on this stretch until I got beyond lusk at least was brutal

Wife is skerries direction
    I constantly wonder about the state of drivers on that road. Hate driving it. Never cycled it and never will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    idiot man in an Audi

Ah no, that's hard to believe now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

crosstownk wrote: »
    Exactly. Taxi drivers simply drive for a profession. They are not professionally trained drivers in any way. Their driving licence is identical to mine. Their attitude to cyclists is something to behold, imo.

I'm sure there's probably more than a few taxi drivers out there who never sat a test and got their licence during the 70s or 80s when they gave them out to clear a backlog. The taxi driver who rear ended me on a Dublinbike while I was stopped at a traffic light was about the right age for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nearly witnessed a head on collision somewhere between tibradden and glencullen today.

Some moron who couldnt wait a moment to get by me, gave me plenty of room, but I'd waved at them to stop and the car in the oncoming lane had to slam on and stop.

The parking up there was absolutely criminal too. There'll be loads of complaints about bloody cyclists holding people up, but the amount of just bad parking and inconsiderate parking was just bloody awful.

Then in rathnines I had to roar at some lads who decided they'd be able to run across the road from behind a va as I was going through the junction at my lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Got left hooked today where i hit the car, i was in a bike lane and all. Driver left the scene. Full report to Gardai

None. Nor to the bike. Thanks for aksing ����

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    None. Nor to the bike. Thanks for aksing ����

Glad to hear it, the most important thing, hopefully they have no issues tracking the driver down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I haven't posted here in a long time, largely as I've hardly been on the bike in the last 12 months+

Yesterday evening around 6:45pm as we cycled here, myself, my wife with nearly 2yo in a Weeride seat and our 5yo cycling his bike in the cycle lane, a car approached from Collins avenue on the left and intending to join the road heading towards Raheny, same direction that we were going.

The driver clearly just did not look at or see us. Even with the yield line maybe 10 metres away she continued at the same speed and clearly intending to proceed which would have resulted in her hitting me and the 5yo at least. I put out my hand and yelled at her to stop, which thankfully had the desired reaction.

Despite this, at no point did I see her actually make eye contact with me, even after she had reacted to my shout. She seemed to be completely in her own world and almost unsure of what had just happened. I watched for her to pass us to see if there'd be any acknowledgment at all - none forthcoming. Truly frightening and bizarre at the same time. I shudder to think what would have happened if I didn't yell at her or if I wasn't as assertive on the road as I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had a bizarre encounter yesterday here I was waiting at the lights to go straight ahead for the canal/greenway with a car waiting on the other side. The lights changed and a pedestrian stepped in front of the car which set him off beeping like mad, I started to cycle across the junction and as soon as the pedestrian clears the car he drives straight at me wanting to turn right(my left) with no indicator. I held up my hand signalling for to stop him as I had right of way and he rolls down the window to tell me to get the fcuk out of his way. I just laughed at him and cycled on but there are some proper nutters out there all this less than 20m from the Garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I was going through the roundabout between Cabinteely and Shankill. Just after I’d passed through a car decides to try overtake me even though there was plenty of oncoming traffic and clearly no room. As he got his nose in front of me he started to squeeze me in towards the kerb. So I gave his car a smack.
    He puts the brakes on then and I pull up to his passenger window. He must have been in his 60/70s with I guess his grand daughter in the passenger seat.
    He starts shouting at me that I was taking up to much room and should stick closer to the side or use the path.
    I tried to tell him there was no room and he needs to give me room if he is overtaking.
    It was then the 10-12 year old grand daughter started to shout abuse at me. Telling me to f*ck off and calling me a c*nt. So no point in continuing that conversation.
    Caught up with them as they were waiting to turn right the far side of Shankill. Granddaughter with the passenger window open to hurl more abuse at me.
    Interesting interaction.

0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Irlande null points

-10% Gardai seem more bothered that you would ring them in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Beaver Row this morning, waiting at the lights to change to cross the N11 towards Anglesea Road. Pleasantly surprised to see that no cars are blocking the yellow box, until I notice that there's a Garda car (Road Traffic unit no less) waiting at the top of the queue on N11 inbound, so all others are on their best behaviour.

Lights for N11 traffic change to red, and lights for Beaver Row turn green. Both myself and another cyclist start to move, as well as a car in the right hand lane beside us, only for a taxi to blast through the red on N11 inbound forcing all of us to emergency brake and the car beside us to lay on the horn.

Despite happening right in front of the Garda car and the horn from the other car surely alerting their attention to it all, not a hint of them going after the c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

blackwhite wrote: »
    Despite happening right in front of the Garda car and the horn from the other car surely alerting their attention to it all, not a hint of them going after the c*nt.
    I once pulled up behind a Garda car meekly queuing behind a line of vehicles illegally using the bus lane on the Finglas Road. The lights turned green and we all moved off to turn right onto Prospect Way. At the junction with Botanic Road the lorry driver immediately in front of the Garda car wants to turn left so up he drives onto the footpath to get past a bus on his right. No reaction from the Garda car. They really couldn't care less.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    -10% Gardai seem more bothered that you would ring them in the first place!

-10% for the lad who reported someone and got a ticket for his troubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

blackwhite wrote: »

I had a similar happen on the NCR a few years ago. 3 Gardai in the car had chosen to ignore it until myself and another that had to stop or be driven into it made exaggerated WTF gestures to them and at the car, and with a perceivable shrug and eye roll the Garda driver eventually decided maybe he should do his job and turned around and followed the car.

The driver of the car had actually dived down a side alley and jumped out and tried to look innocent so I figured there was more to it than breaking a red light. Garda probably pissed that it took them that bit longer to get back to HQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

0%

100% for me. 7 reported and 7 dealt with. I can have absolutely no complaints. Other than the sh*tshow that is the reporting system here but I can't blame them for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ARX wrote: »
    No reaction from the Garda car. They really couldn't care less.

I was on the quays a few years back, loads of cars driving in the bus lane, skipping the queues.
    I asked two Gardaí in a van in the lane next to me about it.
    Their response was "what do you want us to do about it".
    Some of them just don't care about enforcing some laws/rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Effects wrote: »
    I was on the quays a few years back, loads of cars driving in the bus lane, skipping the queues.
    I asked two Gardaí in a van in the lane next to me about it.
    Their response was "what do you want us to do about it".
    Some of them just don't care about enforcing some laws/rules of the road.

it's endemic. I know not all Guards are like this. I've had one trying and one good experience reporting issues to the Gardaí, myself, so I'm not willing to write them all off. But there are too many examples like the ones mentioned here for me not to suspect that it's cultural.

And then you see stories like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am thinking about the child killed yesterday in Kerry. And the social media comments you see about it. I dont know what happened. But frequently the comments refer to thinking about how awful it is for both the childs family, and for the driver.

The driver will have to live with this (they will). Every drivers worst nightmare.

The thing is -and I'm talking generally, not about this incident - if its every drivers worst nightmare then why do they drive they way they do. Its not their worst nightmare. Until it happens.

They dont drive like they believe this could happen.

Am struck by a comment on thejournal.ie on this news story.

"There are many houses immediately adjacent to this road & the speed limit is 80Km. Its such a dangerous road that it should be 60Km but all the locals drive at 100 & over! I’m regularly overtaken by idiots on solid white lines only to catch up with them a mile or so further up the road. Unfortunately this tragedy isn’t the first on this road & it will be repeated again & again. Every one is in a hurry to go nowhere!

This is describes a road in Kerry. And it describes roads all over Ireland. Speed limits are routinely higher than they should be. And drivers routinely drive above the speed limit on same road. Everywhere.

The culture of excessive speed is what kills people, particularly vulnerable road users. Its not an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

a chap i know was the driver in a pedestrian fatality. he was held to be completely blameless, by both the victim's family and the gardai, and witnesses who saw the incident. he took it badly, as you might expect - he sold his house because he didn't want to have to drive that road again, but within a few years had moved back to the area. time heals, i guess.

Absolutely it does.... there was a few kids in my primary school. Their dad was killed in a traffic accident. I didnt know them at all really, but I just remember their shocked faces. But the thing is, 40 years on, they havent seen their dad for 40 years......whereas I can still call out to see my dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

What kind of wank3r thinks it is ok to endanger a bunch of children just to get to the next set of red lights quicker?

https://twitter.com/donna_cooney1/status/1392763555917832194

How does it make them get through lights quicker? Slower surely as they all have to stick together at the slowest one's pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

fixXxer wrote: »
    He's talking about the truck putting kids in danger so it can get through the lights quicker, not the cycle bus.

jesus my bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

What kind of wank3r thinks it is ok to endanger a bunch of children just to get to the next set of red lights quicker?

https://twitter.com/donna_cooney1/status/1392763555917832194

I was walking in Bray this afternoon, southbound on Castle Street towards the main junction at the bottom of the town centre (Main St/ Herbert/ Quinsboro' Roads). Got to the junction and the lights were green for the traffic on Main St. As I was intending crossing the junction diagonally I was mindful of a car stopped waiting to turn right onto Herbert Road. The cycle lane at Macari's chipper is closed due to roadworks and there is good signage to reflect this.

Coming down Main Street towards me I see a woman and a little girl, maybe 6yo, cycling towards me. Both wearing helmets and both in cycle lane. Mother slightly out to the edge in a protective manner (we've all done it). Then the woman in a white car behind them decides she wants to pass. On the junction. With the lights amber. And an oncoming stationary car (waiting to turn right). And a closed cycle lane. Bizarrely she passes giving them plenty of space but they are forced to move out due to the roadworks. So she is left going through a red light on the wrong side of the road facing an oncoming car. An utterly shocking manoeuvre. Absolutely no awareness of her surroundings - simply MGIF.

But it's what happens next that's the real sickener. She sits on the horn and frightens the life out of both cyclists - who up to that point were unaware of what was unfolding behind them.

However, the junction was very busy with pedestrians, many of whom were not shy in shouting their opinions after her (sadly of course the driver was completely oblivious to this and is doubtless still blaming the bloody cyclists).

While I found the reactions refreshing I couldn't help thinking that had that been me and one other male adult in cycling gear the reaction would most likely have been mute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Three close passes today. I was driving.

Heading up a steep winding hill towards the Blue Light. Three cyclists ahead of me, and a blind corner, so I held back to give them room, until it was clear. As I was overtaking, a Black Peugeot further back decided to overtake me at the same time. Really dangerous if something had been the other side of the corner.

Heading back down towards Sandyford, passing over the M50, two oncoming cyclists riding two abreast. Driver swerves on to my side of the road to overtake them, leaving me having to swerve sharply into the bus lane on my side to avoid collision.

Final one was on the strand road in Sandymount. Articulated lorry coming towards me overtakes a cyclist at the same time as meeting me, so leaving them very little space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

Mother slightly out to the edge in a protective manner (we've all done it).

I've being noticing where a parent and child are cycling, the child will be in the cycle lane as normal and the parent cycling parallel to them in the traffic lane.

I appreciate their will to protect their child, although by cycling in the traffic lane they are holding up traffic. Even where it is a mandatory cycle lane.

This type of behaviour will only create further animosity amongst some motorists for cyclists. Surely if your child is ready to cycle then let them cycle, or if not take them off the primary routes where traffic is whizzing by.

I love cycling as much as the next person, but the optics of this are terrible. Its a big two fingers to everyone else and reeks of a "my child is the most important thing in the world, so if I have to incenvenience hundreds of people for them to have a spin, then so be it".

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

riewomann wrote: »
    I love cycling as much as the next person, but the optics of this are terrible. Its a big two fingers to everyone else and reeks of a "my child is the most important thing in the world, so if I have to incenvenience hundreds of people for them to have a spin, then so be it".

Rant over.

Makes a change from the "I and my car are the most importantest person ever, get out of my way" attitude that is so prevalent on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

the dutch have a nickname for cycle lanes which are nothing more than a line of paint; they call them murder strips.

Right a bit sensationalist then.

Cycling in both the cycle lane and then in the traffic lane has the further issue of when another cyclist (capable of cycling without a chaperone) needs to overtake, they have to overtake the two of them and go right over close to the approcahing traffic.

I'm assuming the reason they are "protecting" their child is both concern their little angel might make a mistake and weave out of the cycle lane, and to make them very visible to the traffic behind. I can see this problem getting worse and worse, there are already motorists who treat cyclists with contempt and this kind of behaviour will only serve to increase this.

Probably the wrong forum to bring this up in.

After being out of the city since March last year the standard of cycling seems to have gotten far worse in the city. As usual it's probably only 1% of cyclists but they are the most visible (like the minority of reckless motorists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

riewomann wrote: »
    "my child is the most important thing in the world, so if I have to incenvenience hundreds of people for them to have a spin, then so be it".

Rant over.

That's exactly what i think to my self when i'm closed passed by an Audi Q7 travelling at 100kph, with a "Baby on Board" sticker on the back window!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gg8jN4Lc6M1ZQTEL7

There a brand spanking new, cant miss it, red tarred cycle lane on this road. Yesterday a woman turned left without as much as a glance to her right. Thankfully the approaching teen on his bike could read what was happening and managed to get around behind her. Fcuking ridiculous how no-one is paying attention to the bike lanes around Ashbourne, it would make you fearful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Dowee wrote: »

So many things wrong with this.

1. Cycling two abreast: Perfectly Legal.

Anyone complaining about cycling 2 abreast is saying that they believe cyclists should cycle in the gutter so they can be passed without a proper overtaking manouver. I also fail to understand how they think 2 cyclists in single file is easier to overtake than 2 abreast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Had a very pleasant interaction yesterday on my spin that I thought I would share. There is about 2km of road beside my house from the local town that really unpleasant to cycle on - lots of turns and is narrow enough - if someone decides to pass you its nearly always dangerous. I hate cycling on it and do so only out of necessity.

As I was just starting into it I notice a heavy lorry behind me. ****ing great I thought and I was tensing up for the inevitable close pass but.....it never came. He was happy to sit behind me at 30ish km an hour and gave me plenty of space. I nearly didn't know what to do with this :o Anyway after about a km or so I pulled into a drive way to let him pass and he gave me a happy beep and on he went. Cant say some of the cars behind him felt the same but can't win them all!

Well I had a nice 2 hour spin Clogherhead direction but then came home through drogheda.

Christ.

A woman threw open passanger door of car in my face.

Another genius changed into my lane without indicating and caused me to slam on.

And finally I got green light an as myself and car behind took off 2 broke the red light.

Maybe I'm not remembering what it was like pre-covid but to me the traffic around town seems to be worse now than pre-covid the tailback on Donore Rd yesterday and at John's shop on the Platin Rd were unreal. Don't recall them being as bad as that. Donore Rd usually backs up on the way in for evening rush but it was backed up in both directions from about 2pm yesterday.

Great on the bike though you sail passed the whole mess then you get a bus driver trying to get out of the station at the bottom trying to bully his way out as I approach and ends up blocking the lane and the footpath for a woman with small kids and a buggy. She wasn't shy about telling him to reverse, although she used slightly stronger language :D

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Good camera system for the push bike?

• Advertisement
Advertisement