Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Maybe I'm not remembering what it was like pre-covid but to me the traffic around town seems to be worse now than pre-covid the tailback on Donore Rd yesterday and at John's shop on the Platin Rd were unreal. Don't recall them being as bad as that. Donore Rd usually backs up on the way in for evening rush but it was backed up in both directions from about 2pm yesterday.

Great on the bike though you sail passed the whole mess then you get a bus driver trying to get out of the station at the bottom trying to bully his way out as I approach and ends up blocking the lane and the footpath for a woman with small kids and a buggy. She wasn't shy about telling him to reverse, although she used slightly stronger language :D

I notice the Dublin Road is crazy at 3.30/4.00pm, backed up nearly to The Black Bull, bad at lunch time as well.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I notice the Dublin Road is crazy at 3.30/4.00pm, backed up nearly to The Black Bull, bad at lunch time as well.

Herself is usually heading home along there in the evenings or mid afternoon and reckons it's busier there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Good camera system for the push bike?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114345374

Few older threads around too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

McGaggs wrote: »
    Anyone complaining about cycling 2 abreast is saying that they believe cyclists should cycle in the gutter so they can be passed without a proper overtaking manouver. I also fail to understand how they think 2 cyclists in single file is easier to overtake than 2 abreast.

Where there is a cycle lane, one can pass a cyclist safely despite oncoming traffic as no lane change is necessary. ie cyclist in cycle lane does not affect traffic in regular lane.

Where there is a cyclist in the cycle lane and another cyclist cycling in the traffic lane, one then cannot proceed unness the oncoming traffic lane is clear as you essentially have a cyclist using the regular lane who needs to be overtaken.

I take your point that if it was a regular traffic lane it wouldn't make much difference if it was one or two abreast as the oncoming lane would need to be clear either way (it does make a small difference in time taken to complete the overtake).

I know it is complicated, but it may help to read the post you are commenting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

riewomann wrote: »
    Where there is a cycle lane, one can pass a cyclist safely despite oncoming traffic as no lane change is necessary. ie cyclist in cycle lane does not affect traffic in regular lane.

Where there is a cyclist in the cycle lane and another cyclist cycling in the traffic lane, one then cannot proceed unless the oncoming traffic lane is clear as you essentially have a cyclist using the regular lane who needs to be overtaken.

How wide is this "Regular Lane"? it must be very, very narrow? I've often overtaken two cyclists cycling two abreast without having to enter the oncoming lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

This is not the case more often than it is, but sadly many motorists, you included, seem to think that as long as there is a painted line between them and the cyclist it’s safe to pass.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    This is not the case more often than it is, but sadly many motorists, you included, seem to think that as long as there is a painted line between them and the cyclist it’s safe to pass.

Congratulations on fulfilling the entitled cyclist stereotype in a record no of characters.

Congratulation on fulfulling the ill-informed self-entitled driver stereotype in a not so-record number of posts :rolleyes:

Thank you.

I am also a cyclist and so am more informed and knowledgeable than others.

Please edit your post accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I am also a cyclist

Seems to form part of the homicidal driver's briefcase these days.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on fulfilling the entitled cyclist stereotype in a record no of characters.

I haven't ridden a bike in years, ironically because of the actions of a self entitled motorist who felt his vehicle could use mine to brake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Riewomann no longer appears to be a member of boards (nothing to do with me) so no point in replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Well, at least I'll give the motorist 10 out of 10 for consistency from Sunday. First near miss was to blast through a mini-roundabout from my left without leaving off when I had right of way - I had to brake sharply to avoid him nearly T-boning me. Then as I caught up with him at the next lights he did an immediate left hook. Bike blind (see sense blaring back and front) or just doesn't give a ****e? answers on a post card please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

On Sunday I watched a taxi driver come so close to knocking a cyclist off her bike as he tried to overtake her approaching Crossguns Bridge. Had he managed to get past her he would have stopped behind a bus within 20 metres. Bizarre how he was so anxious to pass her just to stop in traffic but also wouldn't have a problem waiting behind said bus but sitting behind a bike would drive him insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I think I had 5 near misses today. One of them was scary. Not one F given by any of them. Very poor driving out there lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Got hit this morning heading up the East Wall Road towards the Port, just at the section after the rail crossing. Roughly 10:45. Clapped out BMW flew up behind, ran parallel to within a couple of inches and knocked me sideways with his left wing mirror I'd say at 30kph. First time I've ever been physically hit like this. Luckily I managed to keep control of the bike, and tore into him at the traffic lights up ahead. I didn't even register with him, and got no apology apart from a shrug and smirk off the prick.

Extremely unlucky timing also as I'd only turned off the cycle cam a few minutes previously going up the quays; battery was near finished, but now think there was more than enough juice left to have caught the full thing. I'll never allow that to happen again, as the East Wall Road is the most dangerous part of my commute into the Port. It was all the more shaking today for me as there was a young lad killed in the area last week.

Didn't manage to recall the full reg. of the vehicle unfortunately, and got blocked from the Cartell site for too many searches when I think I was close to finding it :confused: Made the call to Traffic Watch anyhow, and gave a full description of the vehicle, the time and what occurred, the exact location, approximate age of driver etc. Left my details also and will pass on any developments here.

• Advertisement

Garzard wrote: »
    Didn't manage to recall the full reg. of the vehicle unfortunately, and got blocked from the Cartell site for too many searches when I think I was close to finding it :confused: Made the call to Traffic Watch anyhow, and gave a full description of the vehicle, the time and what occurred, the exact location, approximate age of driver etc. Left my details also and will pass on any developments here.

There is a search function on the Pulse system that allows for matches once you have the jist of the reg and the car type. The more info the better obviously

Stark wrote: »
    The worst driving I've ever experienced from people was during Lockdown I. Without other cars in the way to slow people down, people just went nuts.

Agree 100%. And these are people who, at the same time, queued for hours without question outside shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Try the ncts.ie website also, have used that a few times to confirm the reg and also helps to check if NCT is in date, guards are more likely to pursue if details are out of date so I usually make a habit of checking paper work rather than engaging with driver if I catch up to them.

In your case however I don't know if I'd have your composure especially to the unapologetic driver and I'd fear I'd have removed the wing mirror.

Thanks, although would there be a limit to the number of searches on that site? I made several dozen on Cartell in the space of a few minutes to try and narrow down the reg and then got blocked. Since the family also use this PC for NCT purposes, I wouldn't want to get everyone locked out of a more important site!

Anywhere else, yeah. But the East Wall Road is one of the last places to escalate something on, as it's an entry and exit route for the M50 and made more dangerous by port traffic, particularly HGV's constantly entering and exiting from other areas. Dangerous spot at the best of times.

Garzard wrote: »

Try https://www.motorcheck.ie/ and you might get there. Same function as Cartell.ie.

The now infamous roadworks in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow.

So dangerous the local cycling club have had to reroute their club spins due to it's dangers.

My second time in a month to come genuinely close to being killed or seriously injured on this lethal stretch or road.

After one close pass too many I take primary position the entire length of it at all times. Ordinarily that isn't an issue but this moron decided he wasn't going to be delayed. Despite only being behind me momemtarily he sat on his horn and then pulled this stunt. Unfortunately my Fly6 decided to malfunction this time:

What can't be seen in this clip is his hubcap leaving his car due to impact with a cone. Not content with doing what he did he then slammed on his brakes and decided to get out and admonish me for his idiocy. I have stopped the video at this stage as I completely let loose on him to the point he said he was leaving as 'there is no point arginig with you'. Who the hell leaves their house looking for arguments with strangers? This is the sort of lunatic ony too familiar to every single person on this page.

If he did return later for his missing hubcap he might be able to see it but he won't be able to reach it!

As per always this and my other footage is available to anybody who has an issue on this stretch. The council have been notified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

^^

Camera, hit by car mirror, claim :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Well, why were you cycling in the middle of the road?

You were in his way and he's more important than some silly cyclist.

I hope you report him.

What can't be seen in this clip is his hubcap leaving his car due to impact with a cone.
    There IS a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

In such a hurry he pulls over and stops...

micar wrote: »
    Well, why were you cycling in the middle of the road?

You were in his way and he's more important than some silly cyclist.

I hope you report him.

That was the basis of his argument believe it or not!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In such a hurry he pulls over and stops...

When I pointed that out the irony of it was completely lost on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

My god that is crazy driving from him. Why can't people have some patience.

Drake66 wrote: »
    My god that is crazy driving from him. Why can't people have some patience.

Exactly. And these are the same people who have queued in the rain without question to get into shops for the last year and a half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's brutal there at the moment. I'm waiting to see what sort of mad solution they put in place for when they need to tar the inside lane. I haven't had an issue there yet, but it's not a comfortable section to cycle for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    Any hint of an apology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

What utter horse**** from that instructor.

I'd wonder if there was actually a learner in the car at the time.

I'm going to say it.......
    There is no way in hell you would catch me on a bike on Carrshill.

I appreciate we can cycle on any road we want.
    I know the driver is wrong.
    The instructor is completely wrong to blame the cyclist for being there.

But I fear for this man's safety doing this route daily.

EDIT
    What some of ye may not make out here is that at this point on the road there are arrows in Lane 2 telling them to merge over into 1.
    So not only is the van overtaking a learner that is overtaking a cyclist, he is doing it where he should be merging with the large 1 traffic.
    It's also at the brow of a hill and forms the end of a climbing lane with constant traffic (no room) in the opposing direction.
    No hard shoulder to speak of for a buffer.

By the way the worst bit of his response is not the typical "roads are for cars bit"

But this bit......."assuming that i would ever allow to overtake a cyclist when it is not safe and without appropriate distance"

BUT YOU ****ING DID!!!!

That car should have been out into lane 2 when appropriate or slow to the cyclists speed behind the cyclist. Any other maneuver is unsafe

Thought of this thread
    THE SPACE WE HAVE GIVEN TO CARS
    Capture.jpg
    free image hosting

Cork Twitter user RightToBikeIt had this close pass from a driving school trainer recently...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1394629072983035906

Apparently the RSA took an interest in the incident.

The driving school owner sent this response which leaves me feeling somewhat lost for words...

I could be wrong but the van driver was mid overtake of the car and done nothing wrong. The car was not attempting an overtake (unless I missed the indicator), if he was, he did not look rear ward and then the car speeds up to match.

- Dangerous overtaking
    - Failure to leave appropriate distance between you and the vehicle in front
    - Failure to yield
    - Driving without reasonable consideration
    - Driver found to be driving carelessly
    - Dangerous overtaking of a cyclist

Poor learner (if he even exists) will have lost his license before he even gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Narrow country road with 2 of the kids today, my 10 year old was 50m ahead and I had the 7 year old beside me. Lovely pleasant cycle and every car we met we either pulled in or the slowed to a crawl and we passed each other but not this pr1ck in an Audi. I got video but image stabilization on the camera has slowed it right down. I reckon he was doing 70kph but it felt faster any way he barely moved and I had to get out of his way. Judge for yourselves https://streamable.com/v52v3w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

tnegun wrote: »
    Narrow country road with 2 of the kids today, my 10 year old was 50m ahead and I had the 7 year old beside me. Lovely pleasant cycle and every car we met we either pulled in or the slowed to a crawl and we passed each other but not this pr1ck in an Audi. I got video but image stabilization on the camera has slowed it right down. I reckon he was doing 70kph but it felt faster any way he barely moved and I had to get out of his way. Judge for yourselves https://streamable.com/v52v3w

That’s disgusting but sadly all too common , I've had more close passes and prick behaviour with Audi drivers than any other make. It’s a running joke in our house except there’s nothing funny about it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

had a near miss from the other side yesterday - was at traffic lights - T-junction, with options of left or right, first car in the queue. The lights go green, and I give it a 2-count for any RLJs. All clear so I pull off, going left, glance at the left wing mirror, then back to the the road and had to slam on as a kid - I'd say 13 or 14, comes barrelling through the red from my right on his bike. It was pouring rain, and he had his hood up, so maybe he didn't see the lights.

Frightened the life out of me, I was shaking the whole way home. lucky i was just taking off and going slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I feel this is fits in with near misses.

Can anyone tell me what the road traffic laws are with respect to cycle lanes? Particularly where you have solid lines and dashed lines and what they mean with respect to what cars can do.

Instinctively it seems to me that if there's a dashed line, vehicles are free to cross over. I find they're generally on narrow streets without the space for a proper bike lane.

Also what's permitted for temporary loading/unloading by trucks or cars? I recall reading somewhere that trucks are allowed something like 15 minutes to do deliveries, but is this supposed to just be in the vehicle lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Cars cannot cross the solid white lines - these indicate a "mandatory cycle lane" which mean it is mandatory for cars not to enter (stupid naming!).
    As for dashed markings, these really mean nothing.

A lot of the "cycle lanes" around where I live have a solid line and also have cars parked blocking them and half the footpath. I remember getting beeped by a guy in a truck one day and him pointing at me to get into the cycle lane. He just drove off when I pointed out the 3 or 4 cars parked in the lane 100m ahead:rolleyes:

Cars cannot cross the solid white lines - these indicate a "mandatory cycle lane" which mean it is mandatory for cars not to enter (stupid naming!).
    As for dashed markings, these really mean nothing.

So I guess I have no right (from a legal sense) to be annoyed if a car is driving or parked in a cycle lane with dashed markings?

buffalo wrote: »
    I went looking for the SI last night but couldn't find it. Driving in non-mandatory track is definitely allowed. As for parking, the ROTR says:

I'm not sure how you reconcile "park in a non-mandatory cycle track" with "do not obstruct a cycle track", but anyway.

So you can park in a non-mandatory cycle track, but maintain a duty of care and do not obstruct a cycle track. Also if there is no information plate you cannot park at all. :confused:

Clear as mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

it depends; some of the dashed cycle lanes actually share space with car lanes, so a car could not physically drive in the car lane without occupying the cycle lane too.
    but in general, i think they should only cross into the cycle lane when they're actually *crossing* the cycle lane.

yet, if a person on a bike takes the lane when there is a dashed lane, drivers lose their minds

It means that you must not obstruct the cycle track EXCEPT where you have to load/unload and have no other viable option.

(AFAIK a vehicle loading/unloading must be taxed commercially - i.e. loading your shopping from a supermarket is not permitted).

I'd like confirmation on this. Most of the vehicles I encounter which are parked in non-mandatory cycle lanes are cars with their hazards on just popping into the shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

On the opposite side, my mrs was about to turn left at the seatown roundabout in to swords today, started her maneuver when a dopey cyclist cut inside her whilst going straight on, car behind almost hit her when she jammed on & blew his horn. Cyclists reaction was an i dont care flip of the hand. Doent help the cause!

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    On the opposite side, my mrs was about to turn left at the seatown roundabout in to swords today, started her maneuver when a dopey cyclist cut inside her whilst going straight on, car behind almost hit her when she jammed on & blew his horn. Cyclists reaction was an i dont care flip of the hand. Doent help the cause!
    On behalf of us cyclists I do apologize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

07Lapierre wrote: »
    On behalf of us cyclists I do apologize.

Do i have to apologise for all dickhead car drivers now! ;):p

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Do i have to apologise for all dickhead car drivers now! ;):p

Of course! Sure your all the same right? :)

Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement