Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    On the opposite side, my mrs was about to turn left at the seatown roundabout in to swords today, started her maneuver when a dopey cyclist cut inside her whilst going straight on, car behind almost hit her when she jammed on & blew his horn. Cyclists reaction was an i dont care flip of the hand. Doent help the cause!

Maybe the car behind blew the horn to alert her that she was about to turn into an already alongside cyclist who was doing nothing wrong by being to the left travelling straight on. They are not going to be aware of an indicator (if even on) if they're alongside while the mrs was only looking to the right.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

CramCycle wrote: »
    Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

Nope, looks plenty bad in the video too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Maybe the car behind blew the horn to alert her that she was about to turn into an already alongside cyclist who was doing nothing wrong by being to the left travelling straight on. They are not going to be aware of an indicator (if even on) if they're alongside while the mrs was only looking to the right.

Wrong. He sped through as she was already making the maneuver, as i said above. We have video of it. Driver behind was in agreement with the horn blow as gestured afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    However, if the cycle track is marked with non-mandatory line markings (RRM 023), that restriction doesn't apply to parking while loading/unloading for up to thirty minutes. I can't see a restriction on the type of vehicle.

I'd have to look it up but the actions of gardai is that to use a loading or unloading space, you must have commercial tax, so only work vehicles, presumably the implication being that the same goes for this legislation but I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This was annoying me, so I went digging last night...

SI 332/2012:

Those signs are respectively, cycle track, shared path/cycle track and contra-flow cycle track. So no parking in those tracks.

Article 5 (of 274/1998) makes an exception though:

RRM 023 is the line marking for a non-mandatory lane. (RRM 022 is the line marking for a mandatory lane.)

So, if a cycle track has a sign, you're not allowed park in it - no distinction between mandatory and non-mandatory, what matters if there's round blue sign (RUS 009, RUS 058) or a contra-flow sign (RUS 059).

However, if the cycle track is marked with non-mandatory line markings (RRM 023), that restriction doesn't apply to parking while loading/unloading for up to thirty minutes. I can't see a restriction on the type of vehicle.

I am not a lawyer and the Road Traffic Acts are a mess in general and desperately need to be amalgamated into one coherent Act, but that's my reading of it.

edit: posted in legislation thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117280124&postcount=273

What's the appropriate penalty when you find one of these in a bike lane?

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8119735_3e64a3f5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Driving in town today, saw a driver ahead give a cyclist plenty of room. Literally full car across the line. Straight into the path of another car. I'm sure they had to come to a complete stop. Car that overtook the bike then turned left into a shopping centre about 5 seconds later...cant figure out their thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

....cant figure out their thinking

I think it could be related to that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

This was annoying me, so I went digging last night...

SI 332/2012:

Those signs are respectively, cycle track, shared path/cycle track and contra-flow cycle track. So no parking in those tracks.

Article 5 (of 274/1998) makes an exception though:

RRM 023 is the line marking for a non-mandatory lane. (RRM 022 is the line marking for a mandatory lane.)

So, if a cycle track has a sign, you're not allowed park in it - no distinction between mandatory and non-mandatory, what matters if there's round blue sign (RUS 009, RUS 058) or a contra-flow sign (RUS 059).

I am not a lawyer and the Road Traffic Acts are a mess in general and desperately need to be amalgamated into one coherent Act, but that's my reading of it.

edit: posted in legislation thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117280124&postcount=273

Walking to the office today up Westland Row and there was an An Post van parked in the bike lane, having driven across the fixed plastic dividing yokes to get there. Three - THREE - Gardai on bikes just pulled into the main lane and overtook it. I think that tells you all you need to know about the attitude of Gardai to bike lanes really.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Wrong. He sped through as she was already making the maneuver, as i said above. We have video of it. Driver behind was in agreement with the horn blow as gestured afterwards.

Fair.
    Why not post the video, don't see why a near miss caused by reckless cycling wouldn't be any less relevant here.

Fair.
    Why not post the video, don't see why a near miss caused by reckless cycling wouldn't be any less relevant here.

Indeed, although having seen some of the reasons drivers beep, I suspect he was giving out to the other driver for stopping and nearly catching them out, rather than agreeing that the cyclist was a douchebag.

• Advertisement

Indeed, although having seen some of the reasons drivers beep, I suspect he was giving out to the other driver for stopping and nearly catching them out, rather than agreeing that the cyclist was a douchebag.

I had the same suspicion, would be rare for drivers to beep in empathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

I detest that stretch. Even during the 2km lockdown it was rotten. It was named in a recent report as one of the hotspots for cyclist fatalities and injuries

I detest that stretch. Even during the 2km lockdown it was rotten. It was named in a recent report as one of the hotspots for cyclist fatalities and injuries

At about 4:37 there is a set of pedestrian lights where a child was killed not that long ago. Every day that I meet a red there, you have cars coming towards Bray who run it even with people starting to cross, the flowers are regularly replaced. Speeding and phone use on that stretch are typical for the majority of drivers. On one occasion an eir van went straight through on red as parents were pushing a buggy across. Missed the front of the buggy by about 2cm. On the phone. I reported to Eir with footage and even footage of him on the phone and a rough speed calculation. Never even got a response, still see him driving in the locale in an Eir van so they obviously didn't give a f*ck. The roundabout in Shankill has people pulling out in front of you regularly, or overtaking as you slow down approaching it. Anyone who thinks the gardai are shooting fish in a barrel with any sort of speeding enforcement don't realise the fish are in the barrel but the gardai have so much paperwork to open the barrel that most of them have just given up even considering opening it. Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Video chatting - Facetime or WhatsApp or similar - sure you'd have to be able to see their reaction and all...

I was heading in the opposite direction last year and stopped at the lights to turn right towards Emmets.

as soon as the lights went green, A Discovery that was in the turn right lane behind me behind me just gunned the engine and over took me just as i was pulling away, obviously on the basis that his arrival two seconds earlier at the golf club was far more important than my life.

Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Are you absolutely sure it was a Quashqai? There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

I reported her to Revenue but she is still driving around - badly

Are you absolutely sure it was a Quashqai? There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

She did turn down Boghall, never copped the spacesaver, was more focused on not getting hit. It might not have been a quashqai, just that style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

At about 4:37 there is a set of pedestrian lights where a child was killed not that long ago. Every day that I meet a red there, you have cars coming towards Bray who run it even with people starting to cross, the flowers are regularly replaced. Speeding and phone use on that stretch are typical for the majority of drivers. On one occasion an eir van went straight through on red as parents were pushing a buggy across. Missed the front of the buggy by about 2cm. On the phone. I reported to Eir with footage and even footage of him on the phone and a rough speed calculation. Never even got a response, still see him driving in the locale in an Eir van so they obviously didn't give a f*ck. The roundabout in Shankill has people pulling out in front of you regularly, or overtaking as you slow down approaching it. Anyone who thinks the gardai are shooting fish in a barrel with any sort of speeding enforcement don't realise the fish are in the barrel but the gardai have so much paperwork to open the barrel that most of them have just given up even considering opening it. Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Why aren’t the cars clamped/ticketed for repeatedly parking in the bike lane there?

Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?

A brilliant example of a broken infrastructure.

Would love to ask that halfwit Eamon Ryan why his Department fail year after year to put any improvements in bike arteries into the city. The current craze seems to be building dead end foot paths..

Roads around North Wicklow in general are in a bad state and when you add in the patchwork dig and replace tactics by sub contractors and a fondness of drivers to drive too close or to be distracted by phones and it’s a recipe for disaster.

ckeego wrote: »
    Why aren’t the cars clamped/ticketed for repeatedly parking in the bike lane there?
    The same reason they never finished the zebra crossing outside LIDL, no one gives a f*ck. Some mornings as you approach you can see a build up of 10 or more kids waiting to cross, so I usually take the lane and slow down to a stop. Even without the crossing, it is pretty clear what was meant to be there and its heavy traffic time, they lose nothing by stopping.
    Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?.
    This is actually the nice part of the commute in regards road surface, the N11 lane is worse than a gravel/CX race in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

have you seen her since?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

ckeego wrote: »

Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?

A brilliant example of a broken infrastructure.

Would love to ask that halfwit Eamon Ryan why his Department fail year after year to put any improvements in bike arteries into the city. The current craze seems to be building dead end foot paths..

Roads around North Wicklow in general are in a bad state and when you add in the patchwork dig and replace tactics by sub contractors and a fondness of drivers to drive too close or to be distracted by phones and it’s a recipe for disaster.

The surface of that stretch is totally lethal. From the old Connaught junction to the roundabout I always take the lane because the left side of the road is riddled with craters

fryup wrote: »
    have you seen her since?

I have yes, although not recently. Usually to be seen flinging a fag out her window :rolleyes:

is she still on UK plates?

If its the one I seen, then yes, there are a few on yellow plates down the boghall. I think the funniest are the local businesses driving around on yellow plates for months with their phone numbers/emails etc. so clearly tied to the state and they get away with it.

If its the one I seen, then yes, there are a few on yellow plates down the boghall. I think the funniest are the local businesses driving around on yellow plates for months with their phone numbers/emails etc. so clearly tied to the state and they get away with it.

Try dubinvestig@revenue.ie if you like - I got good responses from them on a couple of VRT reports in the past, though I haven't used it for a few years now.

• Advertisement

Yes. Video of said motor on post #2393 in this thread

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

As I knew they were gonig to pass regardless I had no option but to move in. The swerve as they passed dangerously showed the malice:

Then 2 weeks later I'm driving in Bray and here it is again, still on the space saver tyre. I got my son to take a still with the reg clear on it:

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

Here is #2393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Looks like they nearly lost control of the car right at the end of the second clip.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Looks like they nearly lost control of the car right at the end of the second clip.

No, that was a punishment swerve. Completely deliberate

No, that was a punishment swerve. Completely deliberate

Oh yeah, I got that. But it looks like they nearly over corrected and fishtailed out to the right. At least I hope that's what happened and they got a fright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm not a cyclist but that video is a perfect example of why I would never cycle in Ireland, and a very good example of the complete disaster that cycling infrastructure is in this country.

^^^^^^^^^

don't let that video put you off, plenty of safe roads to cycle on in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'm not a cyclist but that video is a perfect example of why I would never cycle in Ireland, and a very good example of the complete disaster that cycling infrastructure is in this country.

I thought that it was a perfect example of why I dislike driving in Ireland. Catharsis from passing all those poor souls trapped in 4 wheeled pressure cookers on a bike is not to be underestimated.

Also, its worth remembering that the vast majority of drivers are patient, safe and give good room etc. You only ever hear about the bad ones.

Ferris wrote: »
    I thought that it was a perfect example of why I dislike driving in Ireland. Catharsis from passing all those poor souls trapped in 4 wheeled pressure cookers on a bike is not to be underestimated.

Also, its worth remembering that the vast majority of drivers are patient, safe and give good room etc. You only ever hear about the bad ones.

Thankfully that's overwhelmingly the case, it really is. I like it when I don't see this thread for a few days, means all is probably good.

I had the most pleasant 65km in the sunshine this morning with absolutely no issues whatsoever. An absolute joy

It actually vastly improves once through the roundabout, and once more, I travel it everyday, mainly without issue and feel fine, it is simply one or two drivers out of 100 who make a good day into a bad day. I must put up a full commute one day though as I am clearly so used to it it doesn't bother me, and I am biased in that I am not like many around here, while I see the benefit of cycle lanes, in all honesty, I think it just breeds excuses for poor driving in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

**** sake.

Was on the road yesterday

4km up the road from me, jesus.

I'd be out that way at least once a week. If I was to hazard a guess as to the spot it happened I'd say the section not long after Donore when the road bears right and then left etc before bearing left again close to the GAA pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Was cycling from Dundrum to Churchtown, stopped at the junction at the Bottle Tower pub. Green arrow comes on to turn left, I stay stopped. Green light to go straight comes on, I move on. Car comes from behind and cuts me off.

The driver gives me a "what the f**k are you doing" gesture. I shouted I had the right of way.

Driver: It was a green arrow, it was a green arrow for me
    Me: It was green for me to go on straight
    Driver: It's not. No it wasn't, it was red. It's red, look at the lights. It's red.
    Me: I have it on camera. Do you want to pull in and we'll have a look?
    Driver (as they drive away): It was red, it's red, it was red......

So annoying. I feel like going to Dundrum Garda station later and showing them the footage, just so they'll call down to the driver and tell them they were in the wrong. Nothing worse than someone in the wrong going away thinking they were right :rolleyes:

Was cycling from Dundrum to Churchtown, stopped at the junction at the Bottle Tower pub. Green arrow comes on to turn left, I stay stopped. Green light to go straight comes on, I move on. Car comes from behind and cuts me off.

The driver gives me a "what the f**k are you doing" gesture. I shouted I had the right of way.

Driver: It's not. No it wasn't, it was red. It's red, look at the lights. It's red.

So annoying. I feel like going to Dundrum Garda station later and showing them the footage, just so they'll call down to the driver and tell them they were in the wrong. Nothing worse than someone in the wrong going away thinking they were right :rolleyes:

Used to cycle that route regularly and had similar happen a lot. I used to move right out into the "driving" lane coming up to the junction to stop it.

I don't know if it's the light sequence or just inattentive motorists but I got to hate that junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Not a nice experience.

And unfortunately there is a lot of rage out there-got overtaken at very close quarters the other day by a John Deere behemoth who then brake checked me...

As a club mate told me a few years back, it’s no good and a pointless exercise being the guy in the right up in Beaumont Hospital...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Came to post that.
    Gardai - We don't want to know, GDPR something something
    Foreign Police Force -
    https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1405040503553466368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hurrache wrote: »
    Came to post that.
    Gardai - We don't want to know, GDPR something something
    Foreign Police Force -
    https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1405040503553466368

Gardai don't want to know but yet when there has been an incident that they are interested in they are all of a sudden in the media asking for Dashcam footage etc.. I know they may be major incidents and lives could have been lost, but all the same they can't pick and choose when they want the Dashcam/Camera footage. Either it can always be used or never used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Another hit and run today I think it was in which some scumbag hit a cyclist, that's the third within a week I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had my 10 year old out for a spin today we kept to back/quiet roads but there's one busier stretch just that's unavoidable. There's a short stretch of it maybe 150m on it consisting of a couple of bends and the road is narrow with a single white line. The bends are pretty much blind and if someone tries overtake then meets an on coming car they pull in on top of you or even if they don't meet a car they're so eager to get back in lane usually close pass and cut in sharply. Anyway we went 2 abreast with myself on the outside and I can feel how close the car behind has gotten, she goes for the overtake, pulls along side and while driving on the wrong side of the road around a near blind bend starts shouting at us that we're causing an obstruction, are a danger on the road and making her drive around a bend on the wrong side of the road!! She was actually risking an accident to tell us off and prove a point of some sort crazy stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Narrowly avoided a more serious left-hook this afternoon. https://streamable.com/1f1rrj

Someone driving such a large SUV should really have a bit more awareness of those around them. Especially in a built up area with a clear cycle lane.

Not excusing that but no f'n way if knew the road there would I be in that cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

More and more I'm thinking I should invest in a camera for my bike, both from seeing these clips and my own experience. What are the best cameras at the moment? Budget preferably.

VonLuck wrote: »
    More and more I'm thinking I should invest in a camera for my bike, both from seeing these clips and my own experience. What are the best cameras at the moment? Budget preferably.

This has excellent quality, less than €100 from amazon.de. [I hate buying from Amazon, but was the only option here].

I had to tone down the quality from 4k to 2.7k to extend the battery life to more than an hour.

https://apemans.com/collections/action-camera/products/apeman-4k-60fps-action-camera-a87-touch-screen-20mp-wi-fi-eis-8x-zoom-remote-control-sports-cam-40m-waterproof-underwater-vlog-camcoder-with-mounting-accessories-kit-and-carrying-case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was out for a run on the old n11 today by Jack whites. Driving back to campsite came across two cyclists going hard. They still had time to signal though. Didnt over take as was interesting seeing them going hard. Their awareness of the road going hard was impressive.

On the country road came across another big group. Didnt over take as about 13 in group and wasnt safe. Again it was interesting to observe their speed and technique.( I know nothing about it but like watching the sport)
    Only two things to note here, some were 3 a breast leading to one on the wrong side of the road and its bending road Also none signal, just suddenly stopped in middle of road for going right. Some had Bray cycling tops.

Some drivers behind me got impatient but there was nothing they could do.

• Advertisement

If you hang the go pro mount style mounts under the handlebar they are nearly invisible to passers by, you can also get saddle rail ones from Bike components.

Advertisement