Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just getting back into group spins again. About 15 of us out today. Noticeable difference in aggressive and careless overtaking. Had one tool in a range rover come against us on a narrow country lane well in excess of the speed limit. We're talking a lane with grass in the middle. Started beeping when we didn't get out of his way. Didnt even ease off the speed as he skimmed past.

Another white van came against us, driver flashing and giving us the fingers as he passes. Several beeping and aggressive overtakes many of which were into incoming traffic- blind bends, single white lines, traffic calming - didn't seem to matter. I got separated from the group at one stage so had a couple of cars between me and the group. Driver tried to stop me passing by moving left and right when I moved to overtake. Brake checked me a few times. Some loony tunes out there
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could you post a picture of it on the bike and as to how inconspicuous it is. Looks like it has one of those additional plastic cases to protect it from the elements which are cumbersome looking and surely a pain. Would it fit under the saddle reasonably well.
    Was thinking of getting a gopro sessions before despite battery life being an issue as it's a nice tiny unit but then they ceased production.
    Sorry for derailing the thread.

Why don't we take it over to this thread and not drag this one off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Why don't we take it over to this thread and not drag this one off topic?

No need to be so short with the guy. He did apologise after all. Plus that thread was from January so not exactly one you're going to stumble across!

Anyways, it was my doing because I asked about cameras to capture near misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair play for going after her.

VonLuck wrote: »
    No need to be so short with the guy. He did apologise after all. Plus that thread was from January so not exactly one you're going to stumble across!

Anyways, it was my doing because I asked about cameras to capture near misses.

Honestly, you think that was 'being short'?

?u=https%3A%2F%2F66.media.tumblr.com%2F223a5d1db7acd087350474e83b6997b8%2Ftumblr_pdmc76kL8G1xch6xgo1_400.gifv&f=1&nofb=1

• Advertisement

Yeah despicable individual. Bit more on on the road rage incident here https://irishcycle.com/2021/06/19/witnesses-sought-after-road-rage-incident-on-dublins-south-circular-road/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

5uspect wrote: »
    Read the replies, the individual in the van is apparently a real piece of work.

Allegedly. All that can be gathered that he is similar name, age and occupation. It doesn't give evidence that he is.
    Thankfully the criminal said some anti-semetic words thus highlighted the abuses cyclists face in the media.

5uspect wrote: »
    Read the replies, the individual in the van is apparently a real piece of work.

I'm always wary of Twitter posts like that. A completely innocent individual's life could be ruined because of trial by social media. In all likelihood the incident did play out as she said, but why can't they just let the Gardaí deal with it? If they need to post something online, at least blur out anything that might identify the person or the company he works for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I'm always wary of Twitter posts like that. A completely innocent individual's life could be ruined because of trial by social media. In all likelihood the incident did play out as she said, but why can't they just let the Gardaí deal with it? If they need to post something online, at least blur out anything that might identify the person or the company he works for.

Don’t condone the post relating to possibly the same guy in case it isn’t. However it is not an allegedly that the pictured van driver did threaten and assault the cyclist - it’s direct from the cyclists partner while giving statement to gardai. It’s from the horses mouth not a he said she said.

Gardai don't deal with it though. It's happening regularly to varying degrees with no action from AGS.

• Advertisement

Don’t condone the post relating to possibly the same guy in case it isn’t. However it is not an allegedly that the pictured van driver did threaten and assault the cyclist - it’s direct from the cyclists partner while giving statement to gardai. It’s from the horses mouth not a he said she said.

It is allegedly because we don't know for sure if what he said to her is the truth! It more than likely is, but you can't just assume everything that is posted on social media is the truth. Even if the core of it is true, there can be embellishment which can change your opinion of the situation. At least with the video clips that are posted here you can clearly see what happens and then can make up your own mind.
    Gardai don't deal with it though. It's happening regularly to varying degrees with no action from AGS.

Well they are dealing with it seeing as they are seeking information from the public and there are even news articles about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

robinph wrote: »
    Driver in Arizona crashes into a charity cycle ride, and then the police shoot him.

BBC News - Arizona police shoot driver who crashed into charity bike ride
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57542454

I'm sure most of us here would just be happy for the Gardaí to take reports seriously, without going as far as shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm sure most of us here would just be happy for the Gardaí to take reports seriously, without going as far as shooting.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Using a motorist's logic as long as the Gardai miss with their shots then there's no problem. Doesn't matter how close they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah here.
    Cyclist needs to look after himself here.
    There's no harm in the white Audi stopping to let out a car.

Cyclist should be out at near the white line with right arm out.
    And definitely not assume the Audi going to let him cross the road.

Audi should have seen him before moving off but cyclist fairly shot across in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

i had a guy on a scrambler pull a wheelie towards me on the bracetown - kilbride road on saturday. he was accompanied by three other people on similarly loud motorbikes.

that's one thing i'm going to ban when i'm in charge, loud motorbikes. some of them are nearly as loud as a car horn.

A loud exhaust on your motorbike will save your life. Gardaí need to go after the scumbags on scramblers doing wheelies on public roads not the rest of us bikers just trying to be safe

Well they are dealing with it seeing as they are seeking information from the public and there are even news articles about it.

To me, that's more like 'being seen to be dealing with it' rather than actually dealing with it. I'll believe they are dealing with it when I see the Court report.

To me, that's more like 'being seen to be dealing with it' rather than actually dealing with it. I'll believe they are dealing with it when I see the Court report.

I should buy a lotto ticket, given my ability to predict the future.

and again. please don't post identifying information which accuses people of scummy crimes when there's no corroborating evidence.
    and i would not be at all surprised if that is why the gardai are not acting here - if someone is accused of a serious criminal offence, the word of the victim is not enough to secure a conviction (i hope!)
    perhaps witnesses may come forward or someone might have camera footage.

That is the way it works isn't it. Cyclist has to take a slap off the van in order for him to get a slap on the wrist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a small SUV try and block me from filtering as I slowed coming up to a red light (DB was already stopped so I slowed in advance to roll up). Overtook and pulled in and as I approached, moved over with a jolt to try and block me filtering. Anyway, loads of space as there was a turning lane, I rolled up and the light went green and myself and the DB moved into the bus lane. Now there is a left turn about 200m after the junction, so typically, and understood by 99% of people driving, I merge out on to the right of the bus lane so that they don't get the idea to overtake on the wide sweeping bend. I am not too far off the back of the bus anyway before it goes uphill so there isn't really space to get between the two of us if you consider braking distance etc. until it speeds up and I slow down up the hill. Needless to say, the guy who attempted to block me was aggrieved by this, pulled up beside me to ask what the f*ck I was doing, before merging over to overtake into the braking space. At the point he had caught up with me, because I had moved over, there was actually space to take the turn behind me and if he had any concept of time, he would have realised he would have been further along his journey if he had stayed behind me and merged like everyone else.

• Advertisement

Last edited by magicbastarder
    and i would not be at all surprised if that is why the gardai are not acting here

Huge if true. If AGS have a problem with any Twitter posting, they can report it to the Data Protection Commissioner, or they can publish a policy as to how they expect to handle reports. They can't be making off-the-cuff decisions NOT to proceed with prosecutions because they think the complainant is a bit too uppity for them.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Those bloody cycle lanes have a lot to answer for: a lot of drivers expect you to use them. I'd prefer the old days when there was none...none at all. This is for several reasons. But that's just me.

Cycle lanes are a catch 22 situation, we need them because cycling appears dangerous to certain peopl and otherwise they won't cycle. If they don't cycle, there will be more private motor vehicle usage on the roads, making the roads more dangerous, meaning less people want to cycle. The other side if that the roads are dangerous because of some private motor vehicles, and the only way to make the roads safer is for those motorists to behave better, either through societal pressure or enforcement. By moving the cyclist out of the main traffic group and into cycle paths, you then encourage these dangerous drivers to continue to drive dangerously as, incorrectly, the only thing they might cause a risk to has been removed from in front of them, meaning they can drive more dangerously and anyone not in their place deserves it if anything goes wrong.

So if you build cycle lanes, cycling doesn't get safer, it just appears too. If you don't build them it appears to still be risky and dependent on the situation, it may or may not be.

The only commonality in all these scenarios are a subset of dangerous drivers who need to be taken off the roads or drive as if they will be if they do anything stupid. In this scenario, you can build bike lanes or not, it won't make much difference, as everyone will be better off regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Huge if true. If AGS have a problem with any Twitter posting, they can report it to the Data Protection Commissioner, or they can publish a policy as to how they expect to handle reports. They can't be making off-the-cuff decisions NOT to proceed with prosecutions because they think the complainant is a bit too uppity for them.

Nothing to do with being 'uppity' (I don't think anyone else used that term?) but rather the quality and strength of evidence available and the likelihood of a successful prosecution.

Mc Love wrote: »
    One from our friend at Gandalfs corner
    Have to say his videos are a lot more palatable and understandable when he doesn't confront the drivers, probably gets alot more people as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Dropped pin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/TM8icCFGn9AqpSw46
    Here at the church in baldoyle guy came around me and went left as i was going straight , thankfully i was aware this may happen and had slowed sufficiently, he had no cop on. Also in swords a woman coming from opposite direction decided to turn right in front of me before realising i may actually hit her, she decides to stop in front of me and wave apologies, while the car behind her tried not to rear end her. Comical all morning and tossers everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Here at the church in baldoyle guy came around me and went left as i was going straight

The more common issue at this particular junction is the muppets waiting to turn right (towards Portmarnock) just go for it and cut across in front of you when you are going straight on. This happens both in the car and on the bike:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

The more common issue at this particular junction is the muppets waiting to turn right (towards Portmarnock) just go for it and cut across in front of you when you are going straight on. This happens both in the car and on the bike:mad:

Have experienced both too. Zero patience junction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I would actually doubt that. You can't miss seeing four people on bikes on a wide open road.

Easily done if you’re looking at a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gerrygman

secman wrote: »
    My near miss on N81 by utter wreckless driving has been removed and not a mention of a highviz :;)
    Found it :
    This morning heading out n81 towards Brittas, a van was parked on left side of road heading out, a mere bit of layby so he was blocking say 1/2 of my side of the road, i checked all was clear and moved out to pass it. There was an oncoming Truck and lo and behold a thick and dangerous bitch proceeded to overtake the truck and came on to my side of the road as i was passing the parked van. Utter dangerous and wreckless driving, she deserves her licence to be cancelled for good. There was about 6 inches of a pass, Fcukwit of a driver.

cameras are the way to go

• Advertisement

Car wearing hi-vis car close pass today. Past me closely while oncoming car on country road in Ardgillan area Balbriggan. Note the driver turned left into Ardgillan park 50m on, why oh why pass! Hi-vis did nothing for their driving manners. Totally inconsiderate. I'll be honest I put a audio overlay on it as I was cursing like a builder!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was out with a few earlier. Some dope with a cardboard placard on the side of the road took a few out. Stayed upright just about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need to remove everything except the video ID from between the youtube tags in order to embed a youtube video:

you need to remove everything except the video ID from between the youtube tags in order to embed a youtube video:

Thanks, I always mess that up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

somewhere around here this morning, a woman driving a large SUV pulling a horsebox with two horses in it, decided to overtake me. to be fair, she pulled completely into the oncoming lane to do so, but the flaw in her plan was there was oncoming traffic.
    i shot my hand out as a warning, and i think she came close to a complete stop, the chap coming the opposite direction probably shaved off more than half his speed. she gave me a cheery thank you wave as she did pass a couple of hundred metres later; i'd have been too embarrassed to react that way if i was her. maybe she didn't see too much wrong in what she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some wingnut decided to overtake three cars on a continuous white line on a narrow section of the N81 - I was cycling dublin to waterford on Friday. First time I've been close passed by a car coming against me - even after I pulled in he passed within a few feet, well over 100kph. What an utter spa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Some wingnut decided to overtake three cars on a continuous white line on a narrow section of the N81 - I was cycling dublin to waterford on Friday. First time I've been close passed by a car coming against me - even after I pulled in he passed within a few feet, well over 100kph. What an utter spa.

Happened me before. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Camera time and get to gardai, if they fail to proceed its viral tictok time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Overtaken by a car today, which in turn was overtaken by motorbike while abreast of me, both at a decent lick, and on a solid white line. The car was giving me decent room until it realised the motorbike was overtaking it, and it came pretty close when it swerved in reaction.

Having calmed down after that, was descending on an R road, being pretty careful now I'm getting older. Bad bend with no viz and oncoming was one of those super sized tractors with big trailer gunning it. Hit the brakes hard, had max a metre between the machinery and the verge, managed to stay upright, but only just.

In the latter one I reckon 10 years ago I would have been bombing it and it would not have ended well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Coming down off the Wicklow gap towards laragh. Was hitting maybe 70km/h when a Peugeot on the other side of the road decided to overtake another car.

Unfortunately for me the Peugeot decided to do this about 150m in front of me and didn't have the acceleration to complete the manoeuvre before I got there.

So I'm left with a car in both lanes travelling at roughly the same speed as me and I've nowhere to go. Luckily there was a bit of a layby which I just about made before the cars came passed which I was able to move into and back out of.

Soon after I got passed by a motorbike just before the lower car park. No sooner had they cut in front of me, they then jammed on for the upcoming left hander, I had nowhere else to go but up the inside of them which they weren't best pleased about. I just hadn't the heart to start arguing. At that stage I just wanted to get home.

GoPro ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Christ.
    Some days I wonder why I follow this thread.
    Both the last 2 posts sound nerve wracking

• Advertisement

i think some people have been pulled over in the UK for wearing those 'POLITE' vests - because as it *is* an attempt to look like a police officer on first glance, it could run afoul of impersonation laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

I'm living abroad so I wonder is there a way to order one with the design "flipped". I'm gonna shoot them an email.

Visit Lake Garda was the one that used to float around, with the "Visit Lake" bit written in smaller writing on top of Garda

silverharp wrote: »
    I saw something before that it started with horse riders. In reality its more a brain trick than a serious attempt at Police Impersonation

There is a specific offence of impersonation of a Garda, so I'd be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

robinph wrote: »
    You just need to think of an alternative word to Garda that could be stuck on similar gear, although the word police is probably close to embedded in the subconscious through TV and movies that Polite should still work.
    armed-guards-cash-messengers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If it was a Dominos guy on a honda 50 it would be more funny than anything else, someone on a big motorbike, white helmet is looking for trouble and for sure is trying to manipulate traffic

I used to regularly share a commute with a guy on a big motorbike with the fairings and everything with one of those vests. I wouldn't say he was trying to manipulate traffic, you'd only see it from behind, but you'd always do a double take,

just to be clear "Polite" in Ireland would be ok under any circumstances? in the UK you would need to be more careful?

I'm not convinced, if it is clear you are trying to impersonate a police officer (ie a Garda) then it could be a crime. As said above, a commuter on a regular bike or a rider on a Honda 50, nope, not impersonating, just giving pause for thought for the inattentive who just catch it briefly in the corner of their eye. A rider on a decent moto with a white helmet, full leathers or the full yellow and blue gear, not so much. It would be at the discretion of the Garda who notices it to be honest. If you started pointing fingers and acting the maggot

as garda don't use the word 'police' i suspect it'd be hard for them to make a fuss about it.

i must see if these folks make hi-vis jackets, for litter picking days and the like.

https://www.gadra.ie/

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

I'd fancy one of their gilets but when you click through your links there to Spin11's purchasing section they don't seem to offer it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I have both the gilet and the jersey and EVERY time without fail, that I have worn either the difference in driver behaviour around me is staggering. It shouldn't be but it is.

A shocking indictment on driving standards in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement