Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always said to non-cyclists - if you want even a whiff of what it's like to be a cyclist, put an L plate up in your car, and watch and learn as other drivers try to bully you off the road.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

i've always said to non-cyclists - if you want even a whiff of what it's like to be a cyclist, put an L plate up in your car, and watch and learn as other drivers try to bully you off the road.

I'm a (late) learner at the moment, it's not even that comparible if you've got a bit of a thick skin, the worst you're going to have is a prick up your hole or putting themselves at risk if they overtake like a moron... if I was cycling and got similar or a close pass I'd be genuinely scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

I really like those tops, especially the "recording my journey" design, as I have a Gopro with me all the time. Unfortunately my back pack would cover most of it on my commute. I wonder if they'd make a bag cover in similar design.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a near miss, didn't come down. Yesterday a young lad in a Peugeot 207 undertaking traffic at a red light barrelled through at speed just as the light went green. Looks like he nearly lost control. Hit my wrist which seems fine with his wing mirror and tore off. I don't think he even knows that he hit me.

No camera unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss, didn't come down. Yesterday a young lad in a Peugeot 207 undertaking traffic at a red light barrelled through at speed just as the light went green. Looks like he nearly lost control. Hit my wrist which seems fine with his wing mirror and tore off. I don't think he even knows that he hit me.

No camera unfortunately.

Good to hear you're ok - did you get the plate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you have the plate, it'll make it harder for him to deny it was him, if you have his mirror.

anyway, yesterday evening, second time in i think three or four days - overtaken by someone on a country road (who this time floored it when i stuck my hand out with a clear emergency stop signal) into oncoming traffic. chap coming the other way blew him out of it, he had to drop anchors.

Steoller wrote: »
    Good to hear you're ok - did you get the plate?

I did and everyone keeps saying report it but I really don't care anymore, the gardai >50% of the time give the its a you said/they said scenario. While I would be hopeful and like to imagine they would think outside the box and say, well actually, we can't do them for that but if you want to be a witness for using the bus lane, dangerous driving etc. but it will be a phone call to traffic watch where they don't get what you are saying, a call back in about 2 to 3 months, and then possibly a very polite well, nowt we can do about that now.

ah, i misread that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Big construction works happening there, so expect it to be carnage over the next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I did and everyone keeps saying report it but I really don't care anymore, the gardai >50% of the time give the its a you said/they said scenario. While I would be hopeful and like to imagine they would think outside the box and say, well actually, we can't do them for that but if you want to be a witness for using the bus lane, dangerous driving etc. but it will be a phone call to traffic watch where they don't get what you are saying, a call back in about 2 to 3 months, and then possibly a very polite well, nowt we can do about that now.

Hit & run, leaving the scene of an incident might be worth a report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycled through Fairview outbound in rush hour this evening, first time since last year. Forgot how awful it is there. The bus lane outbound may aswell not exist, with cars joining it from the footbridge and beyond. The painted cycle lane crosses the bus lane but is so full of traffic it is a completely redundant, and dangerous, cycle lane anyway. And of course plenty of cars parked at awful angles in the parking bays throughout, aswell as a few mounted on the footpath with obligatory hazards flashing.

On the way home today. If you know Templeogue village heading towards Terenure, theres no right turn onto Dodder View Road, so I always cross at the pedestrian lights (they have bike lights on them too). Anyway, me and a pedestrian waiting to cross, we get green and a van takes the (no) right turn and through the pedestrian crossing beeping at us as he comes through.

I have it on camera, he was driving an Enterprise rent a van. Have a clear picture of the reg. Contemplating reporting it, will have a think about it over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On the way home today. If you know Templeogue village heading towards Terenure, theres no right turn onto Dodder View Road, so I always cross at the pedestrian lights (they have bike lights on them too). Anyway, me and a pedestrian waiting to cross, we get green and a van takes the (no) right turn and through the pedestrian crossing beeping at us as he comes through.

I have it on camera, he was driving an Enterprise rent a van. Have a clear picture of the reg. Contemplating reporting it, will have a think about it over night.

Enterprise provide loads of vans to An Post.

well, enterprise may take a dim view if you tell them you're reporting it to the gardai.
    though i don't know what the policy would be there on how to deal with it.

anyway, for me this evening - northbound on the old N1, had passed white's agri, coming towards this junction:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5335241,-6.1954716,3a,75y,341.85h,79.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXkxl3erFZ66_AtsqPtnKUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

there was a guy in a large tractor, pulling a large trailer full of hay bales, waiting to pull out from the road on the right there. he decided to start pulling out when i was maybe 100m from the junction, and he didn't exactly have the acceleration of a ferrari; common sense for me might have been to slam on but i had a slight attack of the red mist so i decided i wasn't going to let him bully me off the road. so i kept going and made him hit the brakes. i'd say he was about 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

crosstownk wrote: »
    And to lots of other companies and individuals. Not sure why you're singling out An Post....?

An Post was my instant thought too. Probably because they are in my estate daily

crosstownk wrote: »
    And to lots of other companies and individuals. Not sure why you're singling out An Post....?

Because most of the Enterprise vans I see around here have a postie in the driving seat.

Breezer wrote: »
    Please do. I was raging I didn’t have a camera this morning when the truck driver did the same thing. If a pedestrian is on the road in front of you, you STOP. It doesn’t matter if they’re in the wrong, or if you think they are. You just stop. You don’t keep going and beep the horn. That’s how people get killed.

I reported the incident. I looked at the video again last night and he cuts across oncoming traffic and another cyclist to make the illegal right turn.

I would suggest getting a camera, as the evidence is pretty clear here.....

https://ibb.co/mJMLkDf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That still is pretty damning, 2 green lights for you guys he's driving through and obviously he knows you're there crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

If you go down to your local An Post depot in the evening you might spot the van there.

• Advertisement

That and the picture shows it unlikely a postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I hatethe Greenhills Road with a passion. The planners should hang their head in shame.

I'm starting to think that I am the problem

Had a guy slow merge into the bike lane going up to Sandyford to block the bike lane even though he didn't have the physical space to undertake the car (even without me there) he was trying to undertake, so he had to stop. Another lad in Shankill over took me coming up to one of those traffic islands in the middle of the road and pulled in on me. I hit the window, and he didn't even notice, turned left less than 30m later. I went after him, I really think he had no concept of what I was trying to tell him. He just said OK.

I mean, is it just me, at this point I hope it is because otherwise, it means there are alot of brain dead, half asleep, no concept of space, people operating vehicles that could kill with ease. Mena being the issue would actually be a sense of relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm starting to think that I am the problem

Had a guy slow merge into the bike lane going up to Sandyford to block the bike lane even though he didn't have the physical space to undertake the car (even without me there) he was trying to undertake, so he had to stop. Another lad in Shankill over took me coming up to one of those traffic islands in the middle of the road and pulled in on me. I hit the window, and he didn't even notice, turned left less than 30m later. I went after him, I really think he had no concept of what I was trying to tell him. He just said OK.

I mean, is it just me, at this point I hope it is because otherwise, it means there are alot of brain dead, half asleep, no concept of space, people operating vehicles that could kill with ease. Mena being the issue would actually be a sense of relief.

there's another possibility:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/national-drug-and-alcohol-survey-2019-2020-5481966-Jul2021/

I cycle through Malahide and when i see the amount of people sitting outside drinking alcohol, i cant help wondering how many of them drove to Malahide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭fat bloke

5uspect wrote: »
    A new park opened a few minutes away from us and we put the kids in the urban arrow and went over to check it out. Lovely playground!

On the way back we wanted to get ice cream so we needed to turn right off the main road. We signalled and moved across the lane and the dozy fool coming up behind us just shoved past us and on her way. Again, completely unaware.

Or. Completely aware, and just didn't give a flying f....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Duckjob wrote: »
    You’ve just made me want to watch Falling Down all over again. Id forgotten how good it is....
    Like Terminator 2 and Goodfellas, if I see it on ITV4 or some other random channel at 2 in the morning I just have to watch it no matter how many times Ive seen it.

i dunno, i suspect it hasn't aged well. i saw someone with a fake DFENS reg plate a couple of years ago and wondered if they knew he wasn't *meant* to be a hero. at least, that's how i remember the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I haven't seen it in years but I bet it stands up very well. Man loses rag at everything will always resonate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm with him.

Right he could have been more descriptive of the space.

But in 2 lanes the straddle position (with plenty of space) has got to be the safest for the cyclist.

It completely stops dick manouvers like the Yaris undertaking the truck.

I'd much rather a HGV straddle the 2 lanes going past me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A 'Police' car in Dundrum? I didn't know the PSNI operated so far south!

Apologies smacl - just one of my pet hates. Years ago at work, i was asked to report to the 'Police Station' in Swords. I never made it there and am still searching for it! :D

Isn't it in the airport? Where the Airport Police hang out?

• Advertisement

i don't see the issue - An Garda Siochana is the name of the irish *police* force.

Christ almighty.

That's crooked altogether.

Got be the police looking after their own.

BTW the chap isn't consistent.

Here he is advising full use of lane 2 when overtaking a cyclist on 2 lane road

https://youtu.be/FkKQPBkQOJw

I stopped watching when he said "submitting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

i don't see the issue - An Garda Siochana is the name of the irish *police* force.

Me too, really don't see the point in pedantically pulling someone up when everyone knows what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Yesterday at the church in shankill I took primary position from the pedestrian lights because I was turning right up ahead at the roundabout towards the village. Some fella raced up behind me and then sat on the car horn from there and all around the roundabout. He then bullied his way past me on shankill main street.

I ended up catching up with him at the Bray roundabout so his antics didn't have any impact on his journey time. Some lunatics out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A 'Police' car in Dundrum? I didn't know the PSNI operated so far south!

Apologies smacl - just one of my pet hates. Years ago at work, i was asked to report to the 'Police Station' in Swords. I never made it there and am still searching for it! :D

I was curious about this... turns out the Irish for "police" is póilíní

So I guess Ireland doesn't have a police force, just a guard force, like Iran

buffalo wrote: »
    Coming from Intel towards Celbridge. I usually come off the cycle track about 100m before the roundabout, through the roundabout on the road, then back on cycle track on far side.

ah yeah, I don't mix with the dual carriageway there. It's a hassle even when driving.I use the cycle lane up to the first crossing for the Dublin slip lane, then join the roundabout in the main lane. The availability of offroad cycle lanes is great, but that series of roundabouts from leixlip to celbridge are not thought out. and the new layout at Intel makes it clear that cyclists and pedestrian routes were an afterthought in planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

We have Guardians of the Peace (An Garda Síochána)

Otherwise known as "Ireland's national police and security service" - but still technically wrong to talk about 'A' police car (even although the care would belong to an organisation that are responsible for policing..)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

MojoMaker wrote: »
    How did he respond when you addressed his behaviour?

I didn't bother to be honest. He seemed like an aggressive sort and I didn't want to spoil my ride with an argument

Drake66 wrote: »
    Yesterday at the church in shankill I took primary position from the pedestrian lights because I was turning right up ahead at the roundabout towards the village. Some fella raced up behind me and then sat on the car horn from there and all around the roundabout. He then bullied his way past me on shankill main street.

I ended up catching up with him at the Bray roundabout so his antics didn't have any impact on his journey time. Some lunatics out there.

I get so much hassle going through Shankill, I do wonder would the motorway be a safer option. Between overtakes with oncoming traffic, overtakes up the short hill before the roundabout, pulling out in front of me on the roundabout, no one knowing how to indicate, overtaking coming up to one of those islands even though the only space in front is what I like to refer to as braking distance to the car in front. Same as you, its rare you don't catch them in Bray or before the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I know, it can be difficult.

But this way, the chap has learned nothing and likely will not change his behaviour one whit. So now it's someone else's problem. The next cyclist's I guess.

Why are you assuming the motorist is unaware of the ROTR? the chances are the motorist was just being an ass and knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to intimidate the cyclist to get out of his way.

In my view their is little to be gained from challenging these guys.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why are you assuming the motorist is unaware of the ROTR? the chances are the motorist was just being an ass and knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to intimidate the cyclist to get out of his way.

In my view their is little to be gained from challenging these guys.

I agree that the motorists most likely knew exactly what he was doing.

I disagree that there is little to be gained. It's a form of bullying, and standing up to bullies makes things harder for them next time. Even if you get no sensible response from them this time, they are less likely to repeat the assh0le behaviour if they have been challenged on it, one way or other.

Had one on Thursday 7th, and couldn't comment until the migration was over.

There was a lot to get angry about with it. Not just the needlessness of it, not just the danger I was put in, nor my poor reaction to it, nor the fact that this guy works in the same place as me and could do what he did surrounded by the same constant exhortations to 'safety culture' as I am.

It was all that and I forgot to run my cameras that morning.

Last leg of my journey to work, I come off the cycle path and join the road just after the roundabout here. There's no street view of the new road layout, so for those who don't know, there are two lanes off the roundabout to the traffic lights at the next junction; the left lane goes straight to maynooth, the right lane splits into two right-turning lanes to enter the industrial campus. I am going to the industrial campus.

I check the roundabout approaches and join the road when it's clear, then enter the right turning lane, and stay in it when it becomes the central lane. The lights ahead are red for turning right, but green for straight. There is one car stopped at the red filter in the central lane ahead of me. There is a completely clear lane to the left of me. There is a completely clear lane to the right of me. The central lane is empty for 180m between me and the car at red light.

All that space and what does our hero do?

Pulls in on top of me from the left like he was going to drive through me.

It was like I wasn't there. I saw red.

A man in a white pickup in the left lane, slowed down with the window down shaking his head and said something to me but I didn't hear it - he seemed shocked - but I waved him on.

I caught up with our hero and I broke my rule about not engaging. I was ready to climb through his passenger window. I stopped before I touched his car, and tapped my bright green helmet instead, saying "could you not f**kin' see me?". He rolled down the window, looking puzzled, and I had a second to calm myself, and said "there was no need to do what you did, you had a clear lane there, and plenty of room ahead of me to pass-" when he interrupted "You shouldn't be there, you should be-" at which point the light changed green, he pulled off and I never found out where I should have been.

So I called him a dozy c*nt and left it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Full gambit here from Tuesday. Crossing a solid white line into oncoming traffic and passing too close. I hit the rear wing with the flat of my hand so she took umbrage and brake checked me. Up the road she wanted my name to report me to the Guards for 'kicking' her car. Seriously thinking of reporting this one

Anyway, enjoy...

I have another two from yesterday on the camera too. Must be the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Up in donegal at the moment and getting in a few spins in - staying off the main roads because they're narrow and motorway speeds are common place. My god the driving up here is crazy. Anyway myself and my 14 year old son went out for a spin on some of the local R roads which are quiter. We had an elderly lady come against us on a single track road at speed- she didn't even ease off, forcing us into the ditch. She was oblivious to us.

But that was topped by what I can only describe as a horrific close pass on a narrow bridge on the N56 near falcarragh. We had to use a few hundred meters of this to get across to the next R road. A van passed us on a continuous white line into traffic at the start of the bridge. I was aware of another car behind us and knowing he had no chance of making a safe overtake, I stayed out and beckoned to him to wait - we were on the bridge at this stage and there's a blind sharp corner ahead - but he steamed on through. The car coming against us had to stop and the overtaking car swerved back in abruptly, almost clipping my son in front. It all happened so fast I didn't get a reg plate and didn't have my bike camera with me. A horrible experience

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

On the N81 just after brittas this morning some clown decided to over take small group if hadn't off slowed down he would of hit me head on or had to take out the group have a cheap dash cam hopefully I'll be able to pull the video from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Glad you're both safe. Maybe leave the spins until you get back home? Or leave the son at home, doesn't seem worth it.

was he driving a ten to fifteen year old passat with a nurburgring sticker on the back?

(as an aside, i was out yesterday evening and it was quite noticeable, the amount of modified passats, BMWs, etc. out on the road. motorists probably out for a drive in the good weather)

I love it when you catch up with those guys at the next lights and ask them politely WTF they were on about, and watch them splutter and flap around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement