Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not cycling, but the wife was driving on the N2 on Sunday up to Monaghan. We couldn't fathom the quite mental overtakes that were happening on some sections. Particularly close to slane and Collon

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had what may have been a really close one tonight. southbound on the R130 (about 5 or 6km south of garristown) and as i'm approaching sam dennigan's (which is a big fruit and veg distribution centre) a car passed and pretty much instantaneously indicated left, probably 10m from the entrance to the place. if he'd actually taken the left into dennigan's, i doubt i'd have had any time to do anything except plaster myself into the side of his car; according to strava i was doing somwhere between 35 and 37km/h. as it was, i think he copped 'oh ****, i just passed a cyclist', and drove straight past it (indicator still flashing). he floored it, and only about half a kilometre later i passed him doing a 180 at the next junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Once you get past Ardee heading north, all bets are off.

A mate of mine cycles substantial sections of the N2, anywhere between ashbourne and carrickmacross, regularly.

Personally I think he's insane. Especially with the nearby options all the way along

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i drove to wicklow and back on saturday. i was surprised at the number of cyclists on the N11 between coyne's cross and kilpedder.

Vintage Seth potty mouth 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

In fairness, there is a limited, but rich vocabulary that is applicable to that situation. So you're just being efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You reckon he should have moved further out to make it more obvious to the oncoming vehicle that they needed to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The obstruction is on the motorist's side, not a whole lot to disagree with there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a childish one from me today, I was driving out of Maynooth and there's 500m of bad bends before Carton. There were 3 cyclists and a taxi ahead of me. The taxi was on their rear wheel itching to push past but the guys held the lane and he had to wait for 30 seconds to pass he blew them out of it when passing gesticulating out the window at them to move in and I saw red. I passed them safely and caught up to him doing 55 in a 80 he had his window down so when it was clear and safe I started to pass him once I drew along side I blew the horn he nearly jumped out of his seat 🤣. I completed the move and returned his gesticulations well he lost his reason blowing the horn and making more gestures and flashing lights. He must have gotten some fright as he had his high beams and hazards on until I turned off. It was a bit silly of me but it did feel good to be able to return after being on the receiving end so many times!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had two people do this last night, I was slowing for the red light (I was actually catching up with the car in front until the light went red and I let off the gas). Guy beside me gave space but he couldn't even get past before we had to stop for the red light. I don't think he even understood how pointless/stupid the manoeuvre was.

Pants wetting territory this afternoon.

Airport south runway near the long term parking. Hoofing along with the wind. A car overtakes a van coming the opposite way. Not necessary, not going particularly slow. Moron I thought.

It was the car immediately after though, that decided I was an obstacle to overcome. Laughing nd beeping at me.

Northern reg, no camera today unfortunately

One of those those that could've very easily ended badly

Lookit, don't be cycling on the runway, that's never going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I found a company that does custom HiVis jackets. I copy and pasted the Garda logo from a Garda jacket and changed it to GRADEA

Would anyone here chance their arm using it? What would the consequences be? The Gardaí would have to prove your intent to impersonate.

What about GADRA (sic)?

there is a genuine organisation called gadra, but i think it'd be a bit of a push to make it look like a garda vest.

I often thought of what would happen if you had a flashing blue LED light on the front (you can get them). Dodgy overtake and hit the button to switch it on...... there's a you tube channel in the making there if there isn't already 😂

"Why did you stop?"

"You pulled me over"

"I'm not the Gardaí fool"

The van's reversing lights come on at the end.... doubt it ended in agreement

Also the yellow regs have been obvious in their piss poor driving lately.

(I appreciate that the white regs reciprocate north of the border)

There's a 3 series goes from m1 at duleek to leixlip/maynooth couple mornings a week with an absolute death wish

i usually found them worse in the evenings, i.e. when they're on their way home, probably after a day on a site here somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

What a shocking junction yet another case where the presence of a painted lane actually makes things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a close one in Drumcondra road the other day. Baby in the front of cargo bike. I'm heading into town, passing junction of Richmond road. Car coming out of town turns across my side of the road to go down Richmond. Could have waited, but it wasn't too bad. Car behind just follows him, without looking to see if anything is coming. I swerved and braked, and he braked. Then he just had a dumb grin on his face. First really close call with the baby on board.

Really need to get a camera mount sorted.

Get a reg?

Good on the pedestrians!!! Nice to know you aren't totally on your own in a situation like that with someone threatening you.

Make sure you refer to 'behaviour' under S64 (b) of this Act in your complaint; http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/37/section/64/enacted/en/html#sec64

And make it clear that you're not asking them to enforce traffic law, as they'll try to fob you off on Gardai - stick to the behaviour issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭vintcerf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We organized a club spin in the wicklow hills on Saturday. About 10 of us. Wow, long time since I've been up there but my god the amount of man children on the roads seems to have increased exponentially over the past one and a half years since I was last there.

1. Leaving blessington, heading south on the N81, we're only on the road 5 minutes (just after 9 on a Saturday morning) when we get our first beeper. We're tipping along at 30kph odd, two abreast, nice and tight and the tool behind us want's to overtake. He's duly ignored, but must have leaned on the horn for 500 - 700 yards before overtaking us into traffic on a continuous white, while still laying on the horn.
    2. Had numerous crazy passes over single / double continuous / over bridges and into blind corners white lines at various points. Couple of drivers coming towards us on narrow roads and refusing to ease off , even when we singled out. That's pretty normal now.
    3. Coming into Roundwood, we have a random driver scream " w@nkers" from his rolled down window as we rolled in for a coffee. The ironic thing was roundwood was choked with traffic, mostly people in single occupant cars all trying to get in an out of the centra and cafes in the middle of the town. Had a driver pull out fro ma side road in front of oblivious on his phone. But hey tiktok is probably much more interesting than watching out for traffic.
    4. We singled up heading out of Larragh towards the wicklow gap - another beeper, who decided to skim the whole group while overtaking at speed, meantime his passenger leaning out and roaring abuse from the passenger window. I was sure he was going to push one of us. Cars behind also thought it's be a good idea to follow suit and overtake close to the group into oncoming traffic. So back into 2 abreast we go to prevent this and ignored the resulting beeps when cars coming behind were "held up" all the way to the wicklow gap.
    5. Further down the road, a motorist stopped a T-Juntion heading out of the wicklow gap was stopped - we were indicating to turn up the gap. He was turning left, so we were in no way interfering with his use of the road - "get off the fcking road" says he as we pass. Charming.

Unfortunately no camera on the bikes, but zero chance the guards will do anything about the above. Seems to be normal behaviour at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a bike accident but I rarely post anywhere else, waiting at lights. Lights went green but as per usual, yellow box is clogged with light jumpers so the car in front and myself wait. Car behind sees the green light and goes for it and hits my car so hard it hits the car in front (which was a metre away). As I sit there hating the fact that I drove today rather than cycled, I got out and it was all very civil, although the guy behind tried to unintentionally blame me, saying that I didn't move. He then said he couldn't see me with the glare in his eyes from the sun. I bit my tongue, took photos, Gardai said it sounded civil so they were not coming out. Guy would now prefer to pay for all the damage which if it was just me, I'd consider but with another party involved, I am just handing it over to the insurers.

This is why I don't hug the kerb anymore, ever, anywhere

I'm in the middle of the lane regardless of where I am. Its the only thing that prevent muppets trying dangerous overtaking into oncoming traffic and it leaves me space

I get called all sorts of names but at this point its too dangerous not to

Yikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

nope Irish law is different and very strict while being vague. If you appear to be anyway confused with a Gardai it is an offense. If you do it intentionally they will come after you for sure

Jesus Christ, how the hell did manage to keep that upright??? 😧

that's righttobikeit in cork, not me, FWIW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

44 seconds, did they deliberately block you from going up the inside there? Sure looks like it.

Not the first dacia I've seen driving like a dick lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Dacia moved closer just as his right side was clear so he could have easily moved over to his correct lane. With that sort of traffic there's no room for any bus lane users to pass safely so I'd be further over for my own protection. He has no business being in the bus lane so I don't know why he's trying to police it and give out only to then block the bike lane, what a baby. It's funny it's always the pricks who shouldn't be in the bus lane giving out about cyclists.

That bike lane isn't great either. Lots of harsh bumps and dips, debris, frequent pedestrians etc. Not ideal at higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Some of the tweeted replies are moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Umm no, the person driving the wrong way around the roundabout is completely at fault, the cyclist didnt do anything out of the ordinary, what a strange take on a fairly straightforward video...

• Advertisement

From the looks of it he's anticipated it too and and ends up over to the right to try to avoid the car. Car is the only one in the wrong there from what I can see.

2 wrongs? Cyclist has the right of way there. The car had the 2 wrongs. Failing to stop and going the wrong way.

That's crimin and should be a driving ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wonder if the person driving the wrong way around the roundabout had smashed into a car taking the same line as the cyclist would the poster have interpreted it as both being at fault? Somehow I dont think so.

2 wrongs me hole.

LOL. Two wrongs. The car literally failed to stop and then drove the wrong way around a roundabout. I'm pretty sure the cyclist saw the car coming for him and diverted his path accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Just trying to understand what happened in that video - was the car in the roundabout before the cyclist? Hard to see any line markings on the cyclist's side to show where the roundabout actually starts.

Not sure what it is about that crash that shows that the bike helmet makes the difference between life and death?

Looks like they arrived on the roundabout at about the same time, but the motorist should have yielded as the cyclist would have right of way there; it'd be moot as to where the line markings are for the cyclist.

I see it's gone a bit viral, Hazel Chu has quote tweeted it but unless she has any clout as regards DB I suspect that they won't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd say DB will have to be seen to do something this time.

Even if DB don't, it looks like a pretty obvious case of careless driving at least, which the Gardaí should deal with.

Advertisement