Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If you are in charge of a vehicle at any time, please refresh yourself on the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cyclist did nothing wrong there, he grabbed hold of the handlebars with two hands as he knew he was getting hit.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was doing the malin to mizen cycle Thurs to Sunday last week. We had a support car back and front with flashing orange strobes, as well as two motorbikes as marshals. Big signs on the vehicles warning other road users. We maintained a gap to the car in front for our own safety- which several drivers took as an invitation to pull in front of us, get between us and the feont safety car and take an immediate left. We averaged close to 30kph over the four days, so 35kph on the open flat road was normal speeds.

We pondered whether it was aggressive driving, plain idiocy or perhaps a bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

Idiocy. That particular habit was nothing against you as cyclists. Drive for 5 minutes on the M50 during a busier time and you realise that the number of people who will "fill the (safe) gaps" is depressing. It's like they think it's no different to parallel parking...if there is space, why wouldn't I fill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think its reasonable that cyclists should use segregated bike lanes where they are fit for purpose. Its not always the case obviously.

On the other hand, its not in the rules of the road and therefore shouldnt be expected.

If they are well built, a full network and ensure protection at junctions, I doubt there would be many cyclists who would avoid them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

And maintained well too. That's a big element behind some lanes not being used because they're littered with glass and rubbish.

But yeah if the infrastructure is proper and not half-arsed, why not use it, particularly if it's a safer alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah yeah look I'm not advocating that we should all remain in segregated bike lanes under any circumstances, and was more agreeing with DaCor where he was saying if it's was a full network with protection at junctions.

I just don't think a blanket statement of being against bike lanes overall is a common sentiment and the majority of commuting cyclists would use em if they were well built.

With this in mind - I commuted the liffey cycle route for the first time this morning.

Its a fair mess coming from the phoenix park - lane too narrow, glass on the path, regularly interrupted by bus stops. Its piss poor really.

It improves a lot when you get to that stretch on the RHS of the road - but that in itself is some diagonal swerve in moving traffic that they are expecting people to do.

• Advertisement

The video was posted here the other night but the still picture in that piece with the bike 5 meters in the air is truly shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've seen people continue straight into this one way section on Merrion St. Lower a bunch of times. Seems really dumb as you save about 90 seconds max, but you are dangerously cycling against the flow of traffic. This time though, it was a cyclist on a cargo bike, with two kids in the front. I just don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This is why we need Gardai to make a point of punishing motorists for this stuff. The attitude towards cyclists in this country is a joke. I understand the Gardai are limited by our ridiculous court/justice system but at the very least they should be fining everyone in these situations.

I've reported a number of incidents with Traffic Watch with helmet or dash cam footage. A number of them were brake testing which is a mandatory court appearance and I heard nothing back.

Ah but don't worry, we have that stupid RSA ad about giving a little bit of space for a lot more safe. How about we get some proper helmet cam collision footage and tell people to cop on in the ad? After all we had those shock factor drink driving ads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what offence does brake testing fall under? dangerous driving?

Starting point for me with this is to get the Gardai out cycling themselves, then it will get a bit more real for them.

Mentioned it here before, but its very rare to see them on bikes in Dublin these days.

There are hundred different groups out there saying "the gardai need to crack down on this, that and the other". They havent done so far, why do you expect them to start doing it now?

Can't remember, something about dangerous driving with intent or something like that. I've been told by two Gardai it's a mandatory court appearance, but of course nothing came of it. Probably didn't make it past their supervisor's desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Every city Garda station should have one Garda out on a bike for every daytime shift. That would make a huge difference to attitudes, and to enforcement of mobile phone abuse in particular. Ability to cycle should be a mandatory recruitment criteria for future rounds of recruitment.

Dont think ability to cycle was ever an obstacle.

This is Ireland - home of the Third Policeman. Half man, half bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

First day back to the office since before Covid and I'd the several close passes at speed, encroachments and blatant driving on the painted cycle lanes while trying to use them, serval pointless overtakes only to filter pass them again seconds later, a left hook and cars passing me while signalling and attempting to turn right its a 44km round trip but even pre covid that would have been a very bad day at least the weather was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Punishment pass (can't think why) and a couple of brake checks - why is it always Passats these days? Must raise my camera up too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Never seen anyone that strange it can only be intimidating and bullying Come on Gardai

Seems to happen to me quite a lot. I've been chased, deliberately driven at, physically assaulted the lot - this one didn't phase me to be honest. Think I will ring trafficwatch all the same as I recognized the car from that area (Kinsealy) and I think he was trying to teach me some sort of lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

that was really strange, never seen such deliberate continuous behaviour!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DaveyDave mentioned above that they were told by a garda that a brake check was an automatic court appearance. definitely report.

No horn blowing, yelling out the window etc. which unfortunately the camera doesn't catch.

The date being off wrecks my head, Unfortunately the app for the camera was discontinued when the manuf. went out of business and that was the only wat to change it. A new camera is on the shopping list.

it's always passats. well, i usually get the heebie jeebies when i see 10-15 year old passats. especially ones with nurburgring stickers, and cork or louth reg plates.

Other cameras (fly 6 for example) you can set the date/time by editing a config file on the sd card on your pc, wonder if that might be an option for yours.

I’ll definitely give that a go, thanks.

• Advertisement

Or anyone in a Lexus……

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the name of the app? There are archives of .apk files for every app ever made out there, you just download the .apk file and click on it and it will install. Thats Android but I assume theres something similar for Apple.

It was the JooVuu camera and app. iOS version

Some drivers, seriously. No matter how much education is given and marketing campaigns run, there will always be one. This is exactly why we need protected infrastructure

Imagine beeping at kids. Held up for a few seconds because they're turning, god forbid someone uses the road. Bugs me people beep for being 'held up' because they can easily get back up to speed. You'd swear they had to use their feet like the Flintstones to get back up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a bizarre interaction today approaching this roundabout and there's a van turning right but straddling both lanes. I'm in the left and a guy decides there's enough room for the 3 of us in the left lane I left a roar and he just floors it through. Insult to injury he's stopped 50m later picking up someone from the bus stop at the Springfield hotel. I cycle past and he shouts something like there was plenty of room I didn't bother to engage but he annoyed me. Then as I'm cycling around this bend I hear a car accelerate from behind me and he passes me with plenty of room on the wrong side of the road! It's another pointless pass as there's a queue of traffic just around the bend and he's shouting at me as I approach 5 seconds later. He wants to know if that was enough room for me!! Not proud of myself I told him he was a clown and I'd of given him the benefit of the doubt on the first pass but the second confirmed it! The traffic moved off and he went with them I was just left shaking my head he could have caused a serious accident to make a point!

Would put it down to entitlement more than stupidity - its an act of aggression.

Thats why the media approach to cycling riles me up so much - it feeds into this entitlement in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Pr1ck

I've never liked this stretch of road. Park would be ideal shortcut but the kissing gates aren't bike friendly. Used to cut through the park going to Tesco every week a few years ago. Funny the bike lane on the right side of the road further down in the video leads towards the park. I think the council are considering a crossing for the park. Would also like to see bollards put up to stop cars parking on the grass when the car park isn't full but that's a different topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

That’s a terrible junction, in fact the whole road is a pain for cyclists especially at school times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Naturally I anticipated what I thought this idiot would do.

What I didn't do was anticipate what he actually did 🙄One plot was lost as a reult:

Brown shorts moment for sure!!!!!

EDIT: If he'd hit you he'd have probably said your bike was too expensive when asked for his insurance details and offering to pay cash rather than go through insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The verge of that road is easily wide enough for an off-road bike lane. Instead it looks like a shocking POS for cyclists to have to ride on.

There's plans for a school about 1km in the opposite direction of where this video is where there's on street parking to the left of an off road lane so traffic needs to cross the bike lane, big hazard for someone pulling out in front of a cyclist along with kids getting out of the car and stepping into the lane. Poor planning for something that is all new infrastructure and planned in recent years. They're not thinking because they don't cycle and simply don't care and it will be left that way as the bike lane already exists. Funny enough, 5 minutes down the road there's an off road bike lane along the schools in Adamstown where the parallel car parking isn't an issue...

The bike lane is also completely covered in gravel from construction traffic because it's almost level with the road as opposed to a full raised curb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would have left a cleat impression. in his passenger door

Will that be reported? Looks shocking.

Christ. Imagine coming out your gate buggy first.

The hatches on the back and rolled up cover say tar lorry to me

I love the comments on twitter saying "he's not going that fast". Probably the same people who complain endlessly about "cyclists on the footpath".

What's the craic with the similar trucks that carry filler material, should they have nets on them to stop rocks leaving the truck? Seeing that truck I'm reminded of something that happened to me about a month ago/end of August maybe. Maybe I posted about it here can't remember now .

I was on foot on the Dublin Rd (R132) in Drogheda. Heading toward town just passed the entrance to the train station but before the Circle K and truck passes me heading out of town (few pot holes there that are no more as of this week) and sense I something pass the back of my head and hear a bang to my right as a rock the size of my fist hits the wall and lands at my feet!!!!!!!

I did the lotto that day, didn't win 😂

Yep. They should.

Better run sites wont let them off the site without it in place.

Bit plenty poor sites (usually housing) use cheapest trucks and nobody either side cares

• Advertisement
Advertisement