Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

The roundabouts heading to Donore/M1 from Drogheda can be littered with rocks on the edges at times. Those are trucks heading to local sites or to the port I think from various site out around Donore.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting to see the response from a councillor:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting how the councillor finds fault with the council for this.

Simply too much to of a leap to point the finger at the driver.

This type of driving is very familiar to anyone who commutes on Richmond Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my usual concern with this is that going after the company (or whoever allowed this) would be more effective than going after the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Bit harsh on Healy, its pretty obvious to anyone that sees that video that the drivers behavior is appalling here. Should be reported and dealt with accordingly. He has a good record on representing cycling imo.

I think that he's referring to the the fact that the council are deliberately funneling the trucks down a very narrow road and that that plan is a p1ss poor one. I cycle this way daily and its a very common occurrence - albeit normally at a more sedate speed. There simply isn't room to let a car and truck pass on this road. This road has needed widening for years, Fingal are simply waiting for a developer to pay for it once its developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wouldn't widening the road involve taking away multiple house's garden space to the front?

what's the road in the video above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Removed the kissing gates at Griffeen down by AGP1.

Dont see the issue with the kissing gates, its easy to get off the bikes and get them through, even my 8 year old can do it.

The reason they can't put bollards there is because they haven't provided the facilities for parking. Same at Griffeen, a small car park where there is two big gaa pitches. Car park wouldn't be enough for any away team arriving.

Then you have parkrun, why the hell do people drive to parkrun when its less than 5k from home.!! Jaysus easy jog or cycle to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

What about those who are less able bodied, trikes, wheelchairs, cargo bikes, buggies, etc? Kissing gates should be removed everywhere.

Sorry, just realised the thread. Kissing gates should probably be a discussion for elsewhere.

• Advertisement

If you look at the original twitter post, "someone's going to explain to me that this truck flying along the path is fine and what do I expect the driver to do"

which to be fair is exactly what you'd expect some punter to come out and say.

No one is 'funnelling' the truck down the lane. The truck driver chooses to go down there.

I understand your point, but I'm just tired of people blaming bad driving on things other than the driver...particularly politicians and the media.

ah, i know it. you'd think they could use moyne road as an alternative maybe?

They are funneled however if they cannot go under the railtrack at Manse Rd and are supposed to go through Baldoyle or Portmarnock villages. I cycle it every day and its always like that - that driver is going much faster than then anyone else i've seen however and its bang out of order. You see cars and particularly SUV's doing it too, again, frequently so its not just haulage.

Its insufficient infrastructure at the end of the day and it has to be fixed at some point, fingal is just trying to make it some future developers problem. I know that some of the houses on the right there are selling out to developers but its gonna take forever to do it that way. My opinion is that they should act in the public interest and CPO and widen the road before something bad happens. I'd imagine thats what David Healy means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yep but they are set well back. If I lived there i'd want the road widened so maybe not as much opposition as you might think.

Incidentally there is a brilliant opportunity to make an offroad cycle track through a housing estate on the left which would go under the train track and come out at the old chapel opposite chapel road but theres a locked gate in the way. It'd cut out the entire narrow section of that road, including the railway bridge (see earlier near miss) and link up with the planned cycle lanes on Chapel road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The passenger door got a belt of a hand - hence the reversing

was kinda amusing yesterday to hear my wife turn the air blue at some dangerously dozy motorist in a big BMW SUV who passed us with less than 50cm to spare. and 300m later another SUV driver overtook us into oncoming traffic, earning a long blow of the horn from said oncoming traffic.

was on the road between the side of dublin airport (the harristown junction) and the NCT centre.

Thats a narrow stretch there - 80k road I assume?

Its a narrow stretch. I go out regularly enough to Collinstown to bring the kids to play their GAA games; and I see some parents cycling out there with children. Its a place that - in an ideal world - you should be able to cycle to with kids. Its not far away. But i'm not sure I'd chance it myself.

• Advertisement

if you want to get from finglas/ballymun out to the airport or near the airport (i see guys on bikes heading to dublin bus and probably other facilities out there, e.g. keelings) there are not a huge number of options.

i'd suggest the road above over the road out past balseskin, as that's much longer but the traffic there is faster. at least the one past the golf club is less than 500m.

i've no issue with cycling it but my wife doesn't enjoy it as she tops out at 25km/h and is much less experienced on the bike.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I normally go out by bakeskin and back by nct and don't have many issues generally.

I used to, but I guess I'm a assertive and fast enough now that most drivers wait

yeah, i rarely have issues now, i usually put the boot down on those stretches.

i saw one of the bravest/foolhardiest stunts on the balseskin road a couple of years back. a guy on a motorbike deliberately buzzed an oncoming car which IIRC had just passed me around a blind sweeping bend. he missed the car by probably a foot or less (hard for me to be certain though as he was the other side of the car)

How could you possibly have missed him, he was even wearing hi vis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Usually a half blind auld boy that the family assure themselves is fine "sure he only goes to the shop for the paper"

Weird one this morning. Got passed by a group of cyclists and two of them came easily less than a foot from me while passing. Don't think I've ever had a group pass me that close before. And one of them started blowing snotrockets immediately after having passed me so I took an immediate dislike to them.

Also, that happened on the R125 between swords and ashbourne, which is closed, except to local traffic, for works, so it's reasonably wide and very quiet at the moment so it wasn't as if they didn't have more room. And they were riding three abreast on another much narrower road only a few km later.

three close passes today on the roads of NCD. all offaly reg too?

i've been close passed by one of the motorists before too, driving a large (what i think is) mondeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Arsehole this morning in Harold’s cords decided she wanted to pull in at last minute to an on street parking spot. Had to go with her into the stop and onto the footpath.

Was going to stop and ask why she did it but sure wasting me time and trying to watch my blood pressure. I’ll probably be mentioned on Joe Duffy tomorrow for cycling on the footpad.

2 yellow regs with the close passes up here.

Always good for them

• Advertisement

Driving like that would lead me to moving at a similar speed to these guys in front of that bus for about 5 mins

Dick move? Probably, but maybe would cause the driver to think twice the next time they are presented with a similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

Happened to me in Ranelagh once (driver passed me and immediately pulled into the parking spot I was just about to pass. When I asked the driver why he didn't wait for me to pass the parking spot he said "I couldn't stop, there were cars behind me".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxi ran a red in front of my son at the school traffic lights, needless to say no cops were called but I was glad he didn't get out of his car. My son took great joy in relaying the story to my partner including all the words used later that day. He did clarify that i was in the right before repeating all of the words again.

Then yesterday on the way home from the CI AGM, waiting at a red light when a Land Rover discovery just blasted through as a mother and 4yo were crossing, she did not stop but thankfully the mum pushed them both out of the way. Gonna call into the cop shop tonight with the footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What was she doing in Harold’s cords is what I want to know!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That bus stop is so close to the junction it makes zero sense to even try that move. And the light up ahead is 99% likely to be red too so he was never getting anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Today, yesterday, and a few days ago I involuntarily found myself yelling “Aaaagggghhhhh!!!” at the top of my lungs as a car passed me with what felt like a couple of inches to spare on Dublin roads (Kill Avenue both directions and DeansgrangeRoad). Then (voluntarily) shouted with less force at the drivers to let them know they got too close as I caught up with them in traffic, just in case they didn’t hear me earlier – think one guy might have as he pulled in to the side of the (already congested Deansgrange) road at an odd angle before I passed by. I don’t know – I suppose it’s possible I’m becoming a too-sensitive triggered snowflake, or maybe the awfulness is real. Tired of being hoarse 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Late indication and turn.

Later I was in the cycle lane on Roebuck road at the Clonskeagh Road Junction planning to turn right , a Kilsaran cement truck , no indicators, appears to be turning right , but was getting a better angle for a left kook , luckily I stopped in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

They're not really under taking just progressing that said I've been in that position numerous times and probably I wouldn't have continued on the inside of the van until we both passed the junction but that's a learned behavior from being cutup too often. The driver definitely left it way to late to signal which would have helped the cyclist read the situation but he did see her at the last minute but not in his mirror I suspect it was because she drew along side the passenger window so that was "luck" I would say the van is largely at fault.

• Advertisement

Driver should be checking their mirrors better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can't believe people say these things after watching a clip like that.

this appears to be the point at which the driver starts to indicate; hard to be certain but i'd guess that her front wheel was not far off level with the bumper of the van. that would very much have been in her peripheral vision from what i would suspect.

regarding your comment about being at slow speed; that's not some club cyclist who's able to blast around at 35km/h, that was at slow speed, when a commuting cyclist is clearly going faster than motorised traffic.

the cyclist in the video (not the cyclist recording the video) appears to cover 120m in 20s, which is 21.5km/h; and the motorised traffic is clearly moving more slowly than that.

It's slow speed and the van needs to look in mirror.

Mirror, signal, maneuver.

BUT not a hope I'd be going up the inside of a vans blindspot with his indicator on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

H

Late indication and turn without checking mirrors first , even if the cyclist had not started the overtake , you can't just indicate and turn .

someone with better roadcraft might have behaved differently. but that's not the same as the cyclist being in the wrong; if you were not to cycle till you'd developed spidey sense roadcraft, you'd never get on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To clarify. That's not an undertake. That's overtake. Legally different things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I frequently drive a much bigger van than that with bigger blindspots and I'd be very cautious taking a left like that in an urban scenario (or any scenario), I'd be checking my mirrors 200 metres before the turn to see if there were any cyclists overtaking. I'd be aware of cyclists approaching even if I wasn't turning.

Analysing the video, pausing it and taking it out of realtime isn't realistic. I'd love to pause life, get out of my van, stop the bike in mid cycle before an incident, walk around, time indicators, rewind, fast forward and use slow mo hindsight to apportion blame... but that's impossible. Things happen quickly.

It was a very late indicator, 2 seconds max from indicator on at 11 seconds to the turn attempt and only saw her when they slowed for the turn and she got in line with the passenger window. Zero mirrors checked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Indicating is a signal of intent, not a right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

How do you make any progress at all if you never "undertake"? Impossible to cycle anywhere in Dublin without undertaking and I'd fell much safer undertaking than always overtaking on the right, into the middle of road? Something tells me you don't actually cycle regularly, if at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement