Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was told by a DB driver that busses often do punishment passes to cyclists on Newcomen bridge, to try and force them to use the bridge that was built especially for them.

The bridge they mean is actually a pedestrian bridge, and the road is clearly marked for cyclists. Makes me wonder what kind of training some of them have.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

He should go and do the fukin lotto!!!!!! Jesus H

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least the reg plate is clearly visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

**** hell

Coming out of Duleek towards Juianstown one day I had a car do the same to me. Difference was he was always going to do it. Could see from his approach to the tractor that he was coming and it was probably a bit further away. Other difference was I had a big gravel run off to get my ass into

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In the UK they would prosecute that. Here you would be chasing the Gardai for months in hope

• Advertisement

There you could submit the video through a portal in some areas and they would take it from there !!!.

I've said this once in reaction to a video here before but that video was a shove a lump of coal up me and I'd poop a diamond moment if ever there was one !!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming home last night, left my camera in work, it was late and the roads were quiet. Coming through the junction at the Goat pub, first car went across me when the lights went green, always happens, and while not mart, there is enough time. Second car, seen me, stopped and themn when I was halfway through, started to drive through the junction and went straight for me. Only I shouted and they dropped anchor which left them in the middle of the road blocking all the traffic on my side of the road, he then started f'in and blinding at me as if it was my fault. FFS, I wish I had my camera as you can't report it the way it is but you could see the rage in his eyes at me, as if him cutting across in front of traffic (not just me by the way, there was a car only 2m behind me) was someone elses fault. I hate cycling in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny one earlier that i got a bit of childish enjoyment out of; a guy in a big expensive looking merc passed me with probably about a foot to spare coming in to sutton, but i caught up with him at the lights about ten seconds later. i pulled up alongside and motioned at him to wind down the window, which he did with a look of bemused confusion on his face. i told him he'd missed me by about a foot, and he started to smirk and open and close his mouth as if he had some smart reply, but nothing came out; and he started to wind up the window (which went up comically slowly) which gave me time to say to him 'if that was deliberate, it was bad enough, but if it was a mistake that might be even worse; please drive more safely in future'; all the while his stupid smug head was bobbling and his mouth moving as if he had the ultimate riposte but his tank was empty.

Well I hit a car today and I am not proud of my reaction, coming down the N31 hill (towards blackrock) and a light Blue Audi SUV pulled out in front of me while I was doing 40kmph. I was able to brake/swing in behind and avoid, I let a roar, which he heard but smirked about and when we were level again I swung out and hit his wing mirror (very lightly). He then gave chase, swerved at me, so I slowed so he could catch me. He had a big spiel and rant ready to go but I managed to cram so many novel curse words into those 10 seconds he decided to leave the conversation. I was, shamefully, full of adrenaline and testosterone and ready to wrap his door round his head like a necklace. He will undoubtedly go home to give out about those bloody cyclists. Hopefully he copped the team name on my shorts and rings the club complaining, Merijn Zeeman will find it an odd complaint to deal with #fullkitwanker

newtownpark avenue?

a light Blue Audi SUV pulled out in front of me while I was doing 40kmph.

the very same thing - same colour and make of SUV - happened to me about three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

where is that? Alan D lives on the northside (D5?) i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

looks like it’s the Grange road in Baldoyle, the lanes are a disaster up there, they swerve in and around parking spots as well as the crossings causing pinch points

Mt. Merrion Avenue is what I would call it but can't find an official name bar the N31, not Newtownpark Avenue, it is the turn before that (heading south on the N11) that brings you down on the northside of the Frascati centre.

just checked the map - the N31/mount merrion avenue drops onto the northside of the frascati centre. turns out newtownpark avenue is the R113.

2 conversations in the last week that I wasn't expecting.

First my father, who is an excellent driver, hyper observant and has driven all sorts of hgv and machinery on the roads. Has 2 cyclist sons. "You'll never guess where I saw 2 cyclists today" I was genuinely expecting the m50 or similar. "on the road between Colpe cross and Donecarney, holding up a line of traffic and then having then all squeeze past them" Told him I often use that road and asked what if they just lived in Donecarney? Flummoxed with that one tbh.

Another just now in a cafe in duleek. Pair of bikers asking a cyclist why he didn't have hi-viz. He pointed to the reflective strips on his black jacket and told them he did. When I told them I never worn a yellow vest either they were awful put out. "sure if you're doing 140 around a bend you'll never see a fella in black...." FML.

Then " sure cyclists be fine if they just did what they should" what's that? " Cycle tight to the ditch and stick to good roads, not twisty backroads".

I fuckin give up ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

On your first point while I'd never question the right to use any road by bicycle it's beyond me the choices most leisure cyclists repeatedly use for a spin.

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CtEzUvZnD8zk16ph9

I was driving to Tralee last week and met a lad riding east solo on that section with 10-15 vehicles behind him including a couple of HGVS. How the fcuk is that enjoyable?

There is a really simple alternative on the other side of Blackwater (as they there nearly always is with a major river).

There was a serious accident on the R671/672 Clonmel Dungarvan road. I counted up the fatalities on that road in the last 50 years and some of the serious incidents and it is pretty jaw dropping. Yet it is hugely popular with leisure cyclists, even on days with traffic volumes will be mental (Waterford playing in Thurles on a hot day with half of Tipperary heading south to the beach for example).

Again there is close to perfect cycling routes on both sides of main road where on a busy day you might encounter 5-10 cars on a busy day between Clonmel and Dungarvan. I've often done it without seeing a car.

Ironically one of the big traffic drivers now on weekends is people driving to Greenway for a cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Yep really weird Google maps fcuk up.

Fixed now it's the N72 between Mallow and Rathmore

What if the guy on that road was simply going from A to B and this was the most straightforward route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There are lots of field gates that he could use to pull into for a few seconds to let the traffic past him!

Traffic can wait until its safe to overtake and then overtake. Don't see the big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you often pull over when driving in heavy urban traffic to let a faster cyclist through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As a driver who doesn't cycle myself I'd be watching any bikes like a hawk along there as they just simply have to pull out, and suddenly too. What an absolutely atrotious bit of design.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

Health & Safety rules would never allow bus drivers in Ireland to be exposed to that kind of danger!

With a long queue behind, on a road with limited safe overtaking opportunities, the safest option for the cyclist is to pull in and allow the queue behind to overtake. It's the lowest risk option for the cyclist!

Personally I mitigate such risk by taking the primary position in the lane making it physically impossible for an overtaking manoeuvre unless its 100% safe to do so.

Anything less invites dangerously close passes.

After 3 dangerous passes in a single bike journey a while back, this is the only way I cycle now. Haven't had a dangerous pass since adopting this practice.

Might inconvenience a few drivers but ensures I get from a to b safely.

There is always an opportunity to pass safely, just might have to wait. Just to be clear, I'm not stopping overtaking, I'm stopping dangerously close overtaking by those passing when it's not safe to do so. I also do this regardless of the road type or location (housing estate, city streets, regional or national roads).

I believe its some kind of psychological thing where a pass in primary position results in the overtaking vehicle moving totally over the white line (as if overtaking a car). Once the car is about halfway over the middle libe, they've all (so far in my experience) gone fully over it.

The opposite is true when I cycled in the secondary position, i.e. Close to the kerb/grass verge. Overtaking resulted in vehicles attempting to NOT cross the white line which ended up with me nearly being wiped out multiple times. This also results in passes occurring with oncoming traffic.

As I've said many times, after 3 VERY close dangerous passes in one day I abandoned the secondary position and point blank refuse to take that position now. Its simply too dangerous.

I get honked at regularly and have had a few shout abuse but most are fine. I'm guessing the ones most irritated by this are the ones most likely to attempt dangerous passes.

• Advertisement

if i was on a busy N road, i would pull in occasionally if traffic built up behind me. yes, there might be opportunities for passing but if traffic is building up behind you faster than it's getting a chance to pass, of course i'll pull in occasionally when suits to let it past. and yes, you can take the primary position also, as cletus said, combine the two strategies.

i don't generally find myself on roads quite like the one LBSG mentioned, but i do find myself on some where i do pull in - generally not for cars, but for larger vehicles which don't have the acceleration to pass as easily.

To your point and Cletus, absolutely, both ways work and to each their own.

I have just stopped caring about the inconvenience of others where my safety is concerned.

For me the safest thing to do is to get them out from behind me as soon as possible, I don't want them there. So first opportunity I have I'll move in.

Most people you encounter on the road are grand but all it takes is one person to become impatient and it's everyones day ruined or worse.

Yeah in fairness I've driven that bit of n72 plenty, I'd get very little enjoyment out of a cycle on a route like that.

However I used cycle bits of the n73 from kildollery to Mitchelstown and it's similar. Cus I lived there and it was my way home.

But only when traffic = motorists, and not when traffic = cyclists apparently.

I'm sure he'd allow faster cyclists to pass?

Or; how do you conclude that he's not including himself as traffic too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is classic victim blaming tbf. You might aswell say that when a house is broken into it is the home owners fault or that when someone is mugged that they are to blame for being there at that time/place whatever.

You are probably correct though with some of the blind rage I have seen on the road.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's a great way to ensure that Bruce in his lowered 1.4 Golf or Willie in his Scania S650 overtakes you with an inch to spare after sitting behind you for three or 4 km.

...on the other hand you might be reasonable and aware of the law and rights of other road users not to mention your own safety 🙈

interesting to note the clip starting at 8:57; the vast majority of comments about that particular clip are critical of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd pull in if a road had limited overtaking and traffic was building up. I don't like the idea of traffic building up behind me for extended periods as people get impatient very quickly and you know some gobshite 10 cars back would try overtake everyone. I'm on a bike for enjoyment, if I pull in to let people pass it's to make life easier for me not them, I just don't want the hassle. There's certain roads I'll avoid for convenience or safety even if they're the most direct route. It's all personal choice really. If someone wants to push on that's their decision.

• Advertisement

it's quite simple; if you're doing 30 on an 80km/h road and traffic is building up behind you, AFAIK you are legally obliged to pull in.

you can't quote 'not sacrificing my safety for the convenience of others' unless pulling in is actually endangering your safety. unless you've a monster tailwind and are going for a KOM, then all bets are off. KOMs are legally enshrined.

And it's appreciated a lot of the time, the amount of raised left hands and glances in the rvm I've seen to acknowledge me having pulled in / moved over can't be counted. Or you get the odd one who will stick the right arm out the window in the summer to wave thanks.

Even the glace back to acknowledge a car on your wheel, yeah I know you're there but no room for you to pass or me to move over helps usually.

For all that yeah you meet some fools on the road who will beep and drive up your arse or pass anyway.

As I said, I'm not stopping any overtaking manoeuvres, just dangerous ones.

If I should get a ticket for this I'll happily take it and keep doing the same thing.

Doing this has seen me go nearly 6 months with zero dangerous passes. Taking secondary position save several dangerous passes a week.

Now, if protected infrastructure or the likes of a hard shoulder are available, I'll be more than happy to use that instead but until then I'll maintain that my safety is more important to me than convenience to others.

You may not like it, some don't, but that means little in any equation that involves my personal safety while on the bike.

Since adopting this practice I've made zero apologies for it and I don't see that changing. It gets me home safe, that's all I'm concerned with.

I take a pretty primary position myself. Maybe not the middle but left wheel track at least and if a manhole or pothole us in my way it's out I go, not in.

I rarely pull over, but if I knew a truck was back there a couple mins I'd pull in.

Pulled in once in last 2or 3 weeks. Bus stuck behind me between termonfeckin and clogherhead.

You may not like it, some don't, but that means little in any equation that involves my personal safety while on the bike.

i think we're talking at cross purposes here. you're talking about taking primary position to prevent dangerous overtakes; i have no issue with that.

what i am talking about is occasionally pulling in (to a stop or near stop) to let a buildup of traffic behind, to get past. you can do both. you are not compromising your approach to safety by doing so.

pulling in to let traffic past, when safe, is most definitely not the same concept as preventing dangerous overtakes.

as per WB, it's not something i find myself doing a lot. once every couple of weeks, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Is that cyclist supposed to be indicating to go right, no idea what's he at...just a bare gesture and move right in front of a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Weird post. I've cycled the N72. It's absolutely fine. There's a school a few hundred metres West of the point you linked. Cars are bumper to bumper there a few times a day. Most slow-moving vehicles on this road don't do a great job of "getting out of the way", because there's nowhere to go. A lot of slow-moving HGV's use it. Tractors are regularly on it.

I also don't understand what you're saying about the Clonmel-Dungarvan road. Are you suggesting that leisure cyclists should pick a meandering route with lots of stopping and starting and extra junctions, in an effort to avoid collisions with/from motorists? So: cycle on a poor road surface, with potholes etc, in the hope of NOT having a crash?

I have no problem with suggesting someone should move in if traffic is building up behind them, but if you're saying that an N road is off-limits to a bike, I disagree. And if you're saying that an R road should be off limits to a bike, I'd use much stronger language to say that I disagree.

Yours feels a bit like a victim-blaming post to be honest with you, even if that's not what you intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jaysus if a cyclist had to pull in all the time to let motor traffic drive past then you'd be all day getting somewhere! :D

I don't think there is anything specific in legislation about differences in speed. Last time I looked at legislation, it was about driving in a manner that prevented other road users from overtaking (paraphrasing obviously).

My interpretation of that would be that if the oncoming traffic is preventing other road users from overtaking, I'm not not breaching any legislation.

He specifically said that he wouldn't pull over for faster cyclists.

What has 'differential' got to do with anything. You've come up with your mythical rule about having to pull over to let faster traffic through, but now you are weaseling out of complying with your own rule yourself, with weasel words. If you expect other people to get out of your way, it is only courtesy that you get out of their way also.

I'm a bit confused that people are finding traffic conditions where queues of 10-20 cars appear behind cyclists at the drop of a hat, but they never experience conditions where motorists are holding up cyclists in busy traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement