Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He specifically said that he wouldn't pull over for faster cyclists.

he 'specifically' did nothing of the sort.

consider this a mod warning - if you want to debate, don't accuse others of weasel words when you're the one being disingenuous and twisting people's words into something they didn't say.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, you went a bit further than just telling us what you do;

”That's all well and good, but I would be of the opinion that if you're on a road where traffic is travelling at 80kph, and there's a build up behind you, it costs very little to pull over, if there's an opportunity, and let the faster traffic past.”

Honestly, it’s hard to believe that anyone doesn’t meet heavy traffic at one time or other . It’s hard to believe that anyone would experience traffic heavy enough to build up behind a cyclist but yet never busy enough to hold up a cyclist behind a motorist.

Courtesy is a two way street.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He never said it wasn't. You're very much twisting what he says too to suit yourself yet have the temerity to accuse others of it.

You can either drop it, or take a holiday because you're getting tiresome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm glad I stick to normal 50-60kph roads within Dublin, none of these 80kph back roads and needing to pull in for me. All the red lights and junctions gives me more time to give the legs a rest ;)

Club cyclists could easily be doing 30-40 kmph given a bit of space. Average traffic speed in Dublin is < 10 kmph. That’s a fair old differential there. Why shouldn’t fast cyclists expect slow drivers to move over and make room? It doesn’t really matter whether it is one car or many cars, they should all move over to let cyclists through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I'll be honest, on some roads I will move in the odd time if I'm backing up traffic (if the conditions allow and it's safe etc). No obligation to do so, don't expect others to do so either...

But in town, hell I'd settle for drivers not going out their way to make life more difficult. Some see you filtering and block you or have the 'must get ahead syndrome' so bad I don't know how they manage to survive in life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This I never understood but it happens all the time. Traffic is stationary, and they see you filtering so they pull sidewards and block off the way. It's is bizarre and takes some weird sort of mentality that I simply can't grasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Where do you suggest that a driver pulls into to let cyclists past? Into the kerb or shared cycling lane where most cyclists are?

As a cyclist in Dublin, if there's slow moving traffic, 30-40km isn't often a safe speed, I'd never risk going at that speed with other cyclists, pedestrians and motorists all capable of doing very stupid things that'll happen very quickly if cycling > 30kmph.

I often travel at well over 30kmph on my bike in the suburbs, when the roads are clear I can easily tip north of 50kmph on descents. I don't in rush hour traffic, not because I can't but because typically some douche bag will swerve in to block the clear path to their left, not because they are turning, but because they are a douche bag. I don't think its any different. and I could be wrong, but I am almost certain that the driver who does that is the same douche bag who will skim me out in the countryside and blame me for "holding them up". Should they let traffic like motorbikes, mopeds, cyclists through, yes, it is not slowing them down, they are to big to get around the other traffic there, bikes of all types are typically not. Do I care, not a jot, **** like that are going to die miserable and alone a few years earlier than me, so I will enjoy my spin, sail past when I can and call them a w****r as I laugh to myself knowing they are unlikely to see me ever again. Should I pull in, in the countryside, there are possible occasions but in truth, these are rare and the time spent behind me will not be very long unless they enjoy the view. In all my years, only once has their been a convoy behind me, and we did pull in, but aside from that one occasion, in 40 years where there was rural cycling on a regualr basis, it simply has not happened anymore than that. There are cars that have beeped me and skimmed me but none of them were actually held back anymore than 30seconds and often they were clearly driving dangerously after the fact as I see them take into a blind corner, wheel going over the line at a speed they cannot stop within their sight lines. I've beeb beeped when keeping up with the motor in front (as it makes more sense to be in the traffic lane at that speed), and beeped for following the rules, beeped for not following the rules, I can't win so I no longer try.

Long story short, I am not sure what this discussion is about but my advice is be nice to other people with the exception of those who are not nice to you, you can flip them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

First full week back on the bike and picked up a new camera too, just in time it seems. Not sure why the combine couldn't have waited I could have touched him as he passed with oncoming traffic and the BMW I was signalling to turn right well before and while he passed me as I knew he was approaching but he was in a rush to the red light! Apologies for the road noise and expletives.

https://streamable.com/c2lhta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd cycle out in the centre a bit more and not give the likes that forage harvester the space to fit through. Doesn't excuse him being a prick. I'd report him.

BMW pulled a complete asshat manoeuver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That is truly shocking.

Also regarding N4, What was the driver doing, he would need to slow down at the top of the road sure.

I'd suggest that drivers pull into the same places as they expect cyclists to pull in for them - the kerb, or into parking bays or driveways, whatever it takes to let the faster road users through.

Indeed, it is all the cars in the city that are holding each other up. There's not going to be room for other cars to get past, but with a little consideration, they can pull over to the kerb and let faster cyclists though.

My point is precisely as ridiculous as the suggestion that cyclists need to pull over for motorists.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

F*cking hell Andrew. We've moved on. Drop it , you don't need to take this crusade into every single thread. 2 posters were having a very affable discussion and you've come along to start a row. He didn't say "need". He didn't say they have to. He said it costs little and it's something he does. You accused someone of "weasel words" and you've several times misrepresented what they actually wrote to suit yourself.

Everyone: Back on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've given up reporting now if there's a company name I'll forward it to the company but the gardai just take too much time and effort. In truth, I was marvelling at how much steeper that hill had gotten got over covid so not paying proper attention to my road position 🤪

That road past the Salmon Leap is dodgy. It's slightly wider than usual so people think there's loads of room to pass when there isn't. That tractor should be reported, ridiculous carry on for someone in a machine that size. The van had no issue passing seconds later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I guess he stopped on his bike to video what's happening here, each passing car is a near miss at crazy speeds. This road was resurfaced and a new white line painted for active travel, likely to have come out of active travel funding. Wtf is wrong with our councils?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Yup. I suspect this happens all the time. Massive budget from some central or EU fund. Minimum effort required. But new road gets built..

Yeah I've seen some head scratchers near me. Yellow diamond signs put up on poles where you rarely see a bike and Sheffield stand with the bolts exposed in random locations away from the centre of town where nobody would actually need to lock a bike.

• Advertisement

Well FML, coming up to the junctoin where if you turn left at the end of Seapoint Avenue, you arrive at a T juntion on the Rock Road. Rolling up to the junction when a BMW, larger than an X5 but similar styling, rolls around the junction (turning right from ROck road to head towards Seapoint Avenue) and straight into oncoming traffic. On her phone, never looked up nad didn't even notice as I let a roar and swerved out of the way. Why do I keep not bothering with my camera. I look around in disbelief to see her enarly hit one of the orange bollards at the end of Seapoint Avenue. 2 kids in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

BMW X7 I guess. When everyone else has an X5 and you need to show you can afford a bigger SUV than them.

Its really hard to tell from the video but if thats the standard, half of the cars that pass me on my commute in Dublin would be getting daily fines. Whats the opinon here? It certainly the punishment many drivers here deserve but the actual video looks like driving of a higher standard than I am used to on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think there's much danger there and driver has given an okay amount of space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are we looking at the same clip? The car was about a foot or 18 inches from the cyclist and driving too fast for the road. Punishment seems appropriate to me

The cyclist fell because the one in front of them stopped and they probably weren't expecting it and didn't manage to clip out and stop safely. Not like they had to swerve out of the way or anything.

Jeep should have slowed right down but hardly their fault one of them ended up in the ditch. Wouldn't want to see her cycling in a city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As alluded to above if you're fining people 1k for that then they would have much worse on their hands every minute in a city. In this case it's a country road and they've adjusted to give space, it's not an ideal situation but the cyclists have panicked more than the driver doing them dirty imo. The car should have stopped but I don't think they were travelling at more than 30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The speed is the issue for me, it’s a close enough pass but if it was done at a slower pace you wouldn’t complain much, but the fact he didn’t hesitate and just blasted through is what makes it dangerous for me.

The woman seems to have tipped over as a result of the lead fella braking, but to be honest if I seen a 4x4 barrelling down a narrow road towards me showing no sign of slowing, I’d be quick enough to stop and try get out of the way rather than be clipped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as others have pointed out above, on a road like that, the correct approach would have been to slow to a crawl and let the cyclists pass him, rather than him passing them; the road is barely wide enough to accomodate his car and the width of a bike. plus, the wing mirror also sits out reasonably far, you can see it as a black blur as he passes.

also, is he responsible for the cyclist falling over? not directly, he's not, but indirectly he is.

On an L plate there aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The thread discussing it over on Pistonheads is currently at 66 pages if you want to raise your blood pressure a bit:

Although to be fair there is a solid core of people saying he deserved his punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A link from from that thread^, this is horrible even in heavily censored form:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/noah-herring-harry-summersgill-drug-driver-footage-stockton-b951175.html

The head on the fuker at the end of the video.

I've seen the full footage of it and it's horrifying. Just don't know how I could cope in that situation.

Not a junction I know but normally you'd expect a green for left and straight ahead, what's the reason you don't get a green for left there at the same time as straight through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Pedestrian crossing, you can sort of see it in the screenshot here, orange light on the pedestrian lights.

Was just coming back to say, yeah I spotted that on a rewatch.

That camera is a fab piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

Precisely because there's a cycle lane there, they changed the light sequence purposely

I'm going to be totally honest here theres a good chance I'd have been caught out by that in the car. 😣

I'd have checked for the cyclist though being wired to do so but yeah the lights....

• Advertisement

Looking at it there she panicked and forgot to unclip, not helped by the cyclist stopping in front of her, but all caused by the motorist at the end of the day, so yeah a fair conviction imo

Been through the courts one a couple of times recently, and there's definitely a delay between the straight on and left turn going green, regardless of the pedestrian crossing lights. Allows cyclists stopped at the red to clear the junction.

Can think of a couple of junctions near me it'd be nice to have a similar head start on, we don't even have cycle lanes around town for the most part.

that junction has come up for discussion before on boards, not in the cycling forum IIRC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's actually come up in this thread before were a guy wasn't so lucky and got knocked down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How exactly? The green light pointed straight ahead. Why would you thing a left turn would be allowed? Would you think the same on a right turn?

• Advertisement

Lights like that aren't uncommon, there's a few lights on the north side quays that are red for turning right or left due to pedestrian lights where straight on has a green.

Regardless of the junction, even if you're unfamiliar with the area, you literally have a light clearly indicating if you can go or not?

It's great that you are being honest about it. But I don't understand how someone can hold a driving licence and not understand a simple traffic light sequence such as this. But it happens all the time, all over the city.

It would be similar to a green right or left turn filter light, and someone thinking that allowed them to drive straight on through a junction.

i suspect you're doing yourself a disservice there.

we live quite near a light with a similar sequence, and you do occasionally see the mistake bing made, but it's not that common.

Maybe so, I'd like to think my awareness is pretty decent but I was just thinking to myself given all junctions like that I encounter are left and straight on green would habit get the better of me.

Its illegal here but I can see people from abroad making the error where you can turn through the red once the pedestrians clear the junction. It wouldn't work here because it would require some motorists to act with decency but it works elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement