Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, they have that in Canada, and parts of the US. I spotted a rental doing it onto Pearse street a few years back and was able to mention it to him. He was from Canada and assumed that it applied here too.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I absolutely hated this in the states and Canada as a pedestrian, particularly in cities, a lot of people just ignored pedestrians and would turn halfway into the crossing most of the time, or if you were on the path about to cross they’d just blast through anyways

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

On the flipside, a friend who has been living in the states for eight years recently came back, first time since covid, and was appalled by how badly Irish drivers treat pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I see it quite frequently.

Five Lamps, out of town, people taking the left at the lights towards North Circular.

People heading out of town on the Clontarf road taking the right at Alfie Byrne road.

Dorset St. out of town, people taking the left onto Whitworth Rd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so you've an eyewitness statement, and footage - but they want the camera? this is fresh horseshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They'd have more free time if they actually did their job rather than all this arsing around. Two of my complaints went nowhere because I was the passenge and they wanted a statement from the driver. Inconsistent rules are ridiculous. People are really going out of their way to save footage, call traffic watch, get to the Garda station then also manage to work around the Garda's random shift schedule and neverending annual leave. There's a complete lack of road policing as it is and next to no Gardai on the road (yet I've been stopped numerous times by them for "mistaken identity" while driving home from work)

That was a particularly bad pass. Driving way above the limit, undertaking, close pass, crossing solid white line, bus lane...what more do they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

The comments under the YouTube video are just depressing. Fair play to you for staying civil to that. Theres zero understanding how dangerous it was to you or maybe they understand and don’t give a flying fvck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had similar from them before, where they wanted "door to door journey footage " for particular incidents reported. I explained repeatedly by email why this was a spectacularly dumb request and asked them for written confirmation of their policy and they eventually backed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Very close pass today. Don’t have camera.

Caught up with car at lights. Car was at the top of the queue. Woman in the car with head down on the phone. Didn’t say anything sure what’s the point. Anyway lights change and my new friend didn’t move for a good while. Queue cars behind her lashing the horn on.

I guess she wasn’t in that much of a rush.

The point of saying something is to make it less likely that she'll do the same thing again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have seen police often use the threat of confiscation of mobile phones for 'evidence' where people are videoing them against their wishes. This would seem to be similar in that they are 'threatening' to confiscate cameras to deter you from asking them to pursue something like this. Soul destroying tbh.

Might be worth sending to a TD who is a cycling advocate?

It's very difficult to edit video on a convincing way. Some movie makes with massive budgets still struggle with that. And as SB mentioned, the primary evidence is the statement, with the video to corroborate.

If they didn't have video footage they would just take his word for it so I'm not sure why having video evidence to backup a statement is suddenly an issue. They're hardly suggesting they edited the video so the car was in the bus lane while also altering their real life cycling behaviour to make it look like something was going on.

I'd be taking this further, superintendents, local politicians etc. Not sure how useful he would be in this sort of situation but Paul Gogarty has been really helpful for myself and other residents in the area, he's one of the few politicians actually living in the area.

It's been evidence enough for people, including myself, to make statements without video footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How would physically having the camera prove of disprove any of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Someone saying that they seen something happen is obviously what you would use. Then cross examine the other account and make a decision based on that. This happens outside of court too, what do you think a detective does?

the 'in any walk of life' is doing some weird heavy lifting there, because a statement in the context we're talking about here is a very specific use of the word. a statement made to a garda is a legal document, and making a false statement is a criminal offence punishable with jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Another day another dope I'm not sure how I could have taken more of the lane https://streamable.com/hmgiqc not only was the pass here completely pointless had they waited 5 seconds the road was wide enough to pass they then turned into an estate so were almost home!

the motorist in question either did that deliberately, and deserved more than the punishment received, or managed to cross the white line *accidentally* with oncoming traffic, and deserved more than the punishment received.

• Advertisement

You're not the first person I've seen get passed like that there. It's such a large junction they could have easily went wide so they had a straighter entry into the lane.

If that was a car dashcam filming he likely have lost a wing mirror. As the guy in the video mentioned if he hadn't crossed the line it wouldn't have been prosecuted.

If that was deliberate which I think it was, what was the objective? ah I'll show these cyclists and give them a scare? Yeah all fun and games till you clip one and someone is dead. It's unbelievable how dehumanised we have become in the eyes of some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I genuinely don’t think it was deliberate, it looks like they just have really shíte awareness of their position in the road, it looks like they follow the same sort of line the whole way through the road, as if they’re afraid of the bush on their passenger side. Which is sort of terrifying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Video is too short to be sure but they drift out at the right time for it to be intetnional. Either way though, it is either intentional or sh1t driving, both imply they should not be driving for very different reasons.

random question - does a video like that automatically become public domain if used in a court case? i.e. should and does all evidence become publically accessible in the 'justice being seen to be done' sense?

• Advertisement

It's a shocking layout for a reasonably new junction zero provision for bikes turning right and the markings are very faded.

I must be invisible this week not the worst pass, but terrible driving and zero room for error all to get to the queue at the bottom of the slip 2 seconds sooner. I bet she came from lane three too https://streamable.com/jtpvxy

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Any advice on how to shake the “fear” when going out? Few reasons I’m reluctant to cycle.

One being that I’ve had occasional close passes. These scare the bejaysus out of me. Also because I’m sensitive to sudden loud noises so unnecessary horn beeping or aggression upsets me.

There’s a serious uphill stretch going out of town in both directions. I struggle up this hill. I take the lane here to avoid being passed too closely but I’m concerned about holding up traffic. I never mind when I’m the driver and cyclists are taking assertive positions because I understand why and overtake when safe. Not everyone follows this. This uphill stretch is also on a bend. So maniacs will belt around it blindly.

Is it selfish to take the middle off the lane at all times? Overtaking is not always possible without squeezing by me if I cycled in the gutter so I cycle out to prevent this. I don’t want to be a hindrance as I’m only a fair day hobby cyclist. I’m only cycling to the park to walk / feed the birds or excercise in lieu of wasting money in a gym.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

u

Usual MGIF.

Sound off because i used a naughty word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

I think that's a very common fear, especially for someone starting out. I've found the best way to get more confident on the bike is to keep at it and build up slowly.

If you have access to a car you could think about driving to somewhere quieter / easier until you get your confidence and fitness up. You'll be flying up that hill in no time!

In terms to taking the lane, do what makes you feel safe. No-one should be overtaking you unless it's safe to do so, and if someone can't overtake a slow moving cyclist they shouldn't be driving. When I'm out on the bike I will pull in to the left to make it easier for cars to get past, but only if it's safe. If I'm not comfortable then I'll take the lane, no question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Bad form by the driver but technically doing nothing wrong.

They had overtaken you and then you tried to pass on the left while they were indicating left and turning which puts you in the wrong.

Apt username if you think that is an acceptable way to drive.

Yeah but no. If the car had been ahead for a reasonable amount of time, yep. In this scenario the car had literally overtaken immediately before the turn. It would be reasonable to accept that the car could not or should not be able to complete the turn before the cyclist got there. There are several laws broken by the driver, if you go through this and the law thread you'll actually find the legal terms if you require but as a general note, technically and ethically, it was not ok.

They changed lane when it was unsafe to do , they braked, if they did it to you (or me) while driving , and you had to brake to avoid a collision you would consider it unsafe.

You cant cut across another vehicle ,to take a left turn.

They actually started changing lane before they overtook me.

The worst thing about left hooks is the fact every driver knows your there as they have to pass you in the process. I don't think it's ever a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭vintcerf

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the law about being ahead for a "reasonable amount of time". The fact is that the car was in the lane and indicating to turn left and the cyclist attempted to undertake it. So they were either unaware of the law or unaware that the car was indicating ; either way, not a good look.

Earlier illegal manoeuvres by the car are exactly that - illegal - but two wrongs don't make a right

Absolutely. But that still doesn't entitle you to undertake on the left

i don't see an attempt to pass on the left.

anyway, a car driver should not pass another vehicle like that if they're intending to turn left in short order. that's basic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

You think it's acceptable to overtake someone in a way that causes them to brake? Is that how you were taught to drive? Or are you one of the many Irish that never really learned in the first place?

I did not attempt undertake , they cut across me braked and turned . Do think thats acceptable and do it to other vehicles?

No, like I said, it was poor driving.

Equally though, after that dangerous move on their part, it was poor cycling on your part to not be aware that they were turning when they passed and had their indicator on.

I'll leave it at that

How do you know they weren't aware? They braked in time?

Yep , luckily I braked in time .🙄

The irony of the whole turn was they were rat running behind the Tower hotel, they ended up behind me and the following traffic.

He anticipated it well enough. Otherwise he would have been hit? Beginning to wonder if we were watching the same video 🤣

What fool would put a 16 year old in charge of a truck of that size?

Driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving, and these are the basic ones. He attempted to overtake someone and cut across them to turn. The overtaking maneuvre started with 5 seconds to the turn, it was in fact not completed before they started the turn, that is how late the overtake was.

The cyclist did not attempt to overtake on the left, he in fact emergency braked after an illegal maneuvre was performed. The cyclist done nothing illegal and should be applauded for being diligent because if he hadn't it could have been argued he was still in the right as the time to react was so short. The driver on the other hand did break specific laws (not only the FPN ones) specifically S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964, part 1, section 19, subsections 1, 2 and 3.

So apologies, I attempted to use laymans language instead of legal terms but the meaning is the same, and it is legislated for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Honestly, why explain.. it's clearly a wind up..

Advertisement