Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Went to sign statement and hand over usb with video from an incident in February at local station. Garda tried to view the file, but says the USB needs to be encrypted or they can't watch it on the station PCs.

Has anyone had this issue before? I didn't for the last submission, but the Garda IT procedures may have changed since. Can anyone suggest an alternative for a 500MB file?

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask the garda what encryption algorithm they want you to use. would just be curious as to what their reaction would be.

I reckon the issue is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard 🤔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Possibly a Garda IT issue. I wouldn't be able to put USBs into my work network either. Ask the Garda what format be would like the files. If he want a USB then their own IT need to resolve the issue. Not you.

I would agree that it is more likely the Garda putting up barriers so that they do not have to deal with the issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's possible they're only allowed plug in supported USB keys, but that still leaves the question open about how they deal with evidence from an external source, and it's certainly not a foolproof control over plugging a key with a payload on it, into a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is no doubt that they could look at that USB if they thought it was important enough. I doubt that they go back to the Kinahans asking them to provide their electronic evidence in a more user friendly format after a search warrant. Just a Garda trying to avoid the hassle imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And yet only last night and today they're asking people for dash cam or other recorded footage of an incident in Inchicore. Do you really think that if you try present it they'll reject it due to being on a 3rd party USB?

I know when I handed in footage and made a statement of a dangerous driving against myself I brought in a USB key and the garda copied it onto a laptop, and I'm not alone in that experience. Now maybe some stations have isolated laptops off the network for such things, but certainly sounds like a cop out (excuse the pun).

However, the garda's "excuse" below is the most bullshit one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'd love to see his driving! https://streamable.com/78il06

Ha ha ha not what I was expecting 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its a badly designed stretch for sure, but really poor response from the Garda nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is nonsense, and while I have directly experienced obfuscation and delaying tactics from Gardai before, this honestly sounds like someone who just doesn't understand the tech involved. It is likely that USB sticks that aren't encrypted to a particular standard, probably using a particular piece of software are indeed blocked on most computers. However, the only way for you to get around this is for the Garda to give you a USB stick encrypted to their standard, and for you to load the file onto the USB. There's nothing you can do to encrypt at this end, unless they give you a clear encryption standard to meet.

It is worth querying it for sure. If they persist, ask them to put in writing or on email to you, and to advise you on how you can submit digital evidence that exceeds their modest email limitations. There are loads of tech options for transferring large files, but most of them are probably blocked on the Garda network anyway.

I've probably given more than 50 USBs to Gardai in the past year, with no mention of encryption.

Using the phone to record off a screen results in very poor quality. It is also a nightmare scenario from a GDPR point of view, particularly if that is a personal phone, not an official Garda device.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

What a knob!!

Thats the junction onto the N4 after Dodsboro isn’t it?

The driver was still straddling two lanes and hadn't completed the overtake, so they were performing an illegal left turn. Even if they had, overtaking someone (whether a car or a cyclist) to immediately jam on the brakes in front of them is careless driving.

Fear is real but the truth is cycling is a very safe sport in Ireland. I cycle thousands of Kms a year and very rarely get incidents where I think oh that was close.

Then again I’m in the midlands for the majority and roads are quieter where I cycle but in general I don’t think any motorists are ever out to get me. I also don’t take the piss and I give way when I can,respect on the roads goes both ways imo.

Take your time and follow the road rules, and go a little bit further every time you’re out. You’ll be grand though. Enjoy it first and foremost.

I saw an excellent video on YouTube lately about cycling directed towards relative beginners but can’t for the life of me find it now. It was an older guy out on his bike ride talking about some dos and don’ts .If I find it I’ll post it here for you.

Yes thats the junction I guess he didn't want to loose the speed he'd picked up coming down the hill, certainly not for an over weight commuter!!

I must get myself one of these right of way wands!! https://streamable.com/zd16dk silly move he should have read that and held back not cut up the car. Some ignorant driving by the same bus x2 cuts me up https://streamable.com/27p278 he could see he was heading for a red light but still continued the overtake. Same guy 5 mins later forces a car to slow as he overtakes on a white line https://streamable.com/qy8v7n

Re: https://streamable.com/zd16dk totally stupid move, no excuse for it

re: https://streamable.com/qy8v7n thats scary, for you, the car driver and the bus, and for what, a few seconds 🙄

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is that little pace? I'm always pelting it there to make sure I have primary position

Seth got it, it's Carton on the way into Maynooth. I usually move out at the bends but until he passed it had been quiet before that so hadn't felt the need, in fairness he gave me the room just took it from the car coming in the opposite direction!

• Advertisement

Decent awareness from the Skoda in the first clip. If it was me coming up to that with a stale red and only a few cars I'd have probably have tucked in behind the van on the drivers side or indeed like the OP appears to be going for tucking in behind the Skoda as there looked to be a nice gap there to do so.

Yes, top marks to the driver, it's a crap junction for bikes as there is no provision to turn right but that doesn't excuse this cyclist. I'm always cautious of getting to the top here on a red as if there's a queue on the M4 there can be a lot of slip surfers skipping traffic and continuing straight ahead. If I'd been in that cyclist's position as soon as the light changed, that car had not been indicating and I wasn't in his field of view I'd have been on the brakes with my arm out to the right so that the car following knew my intention and I'd have slipped in behind to complete the turn.

ah, i misread the video (wasn't paying attention to be fair); i assumed that was a right turn lane only so thought the driver was at fault.

I would send that to Kavanaghs as an FYI if I was you. I am sure they would like to know how poor some of their drivers are

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

On the USB request from the Garda, unfortuntely it is correct, the Garda machines won't allow a USB key be connected to it unless its got Bit Locker enabled, if you enable Bit Locker on the USB key and password protect it (but that might not be needed), that should work.

I actually did it before uploading last night, I'll post back their response if any. In fairness I very rarely have issue with the 139 its the Intel shuttles you have to watch out for on this stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

A JJ Kavanagh driver drove his bus at speed through a pedestrian crossing where I was already crossing (with the green man) a few years back.

A Wexford Bus driver tailgated me, flashing his lights, in the port tunnel (apparently my driving at the speed limit was provoking him).

Are private bus companies where the people who fail the Bus Eireann psychological tests go?

Report that to Intel themselves. They will definitely follow up. It was listed earlier in this thread. Susan something is the person to report to. Other posters could give better information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Piss poor awareness demonstrated by both Skoda driver and cyclist (not the cam one!) In the first clip..

Edit: on second watch, not much more the Skoda could have done except maybe missing a left hand check before moving off. But caught it soon enough.

Bus driver shouldn't be on the road. Hope that went to the bus company at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If anyone has the Intel contact email that would be great, I've been wanting to send an email about the wannabe boy racers speeding out of the new multistorey and ignoring the yield at the exit. I got brake tested by someone for beeping at them when I had to jam the brakes. There's an unusual amount of young lads thinking they're cool in their modified shitbox diesels working there...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

Black Audi A3s with tinted windows and German-style reg plates, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I thought the Skoda driver reacted well, in fairness to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

The red buses are hired by intel to shuttle builders from the building site to satellite car parks as there is not enough car parking on the site. Can you PM me the email too. I work for intel and can't find the proper contact 😂.

I recently started commuting again by bike from terenure to leixlip and I have no issues at all on the route apart from when I'm close to the job. 17k of bliss followed by 2km off d**kheads.

I got an email back from JJ to say they would be speaking with the driver involved and that they were currently under going a training program for drivers and the videos would be passed to that office. Hopefully the use them to show it from a cyclists perspective! I had asked that they give the driver the benefit of the doubt but that they make him aware of his poor driving in this circumstance and the dangers it posed to me and other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just on the N4 one, think you're being a little unfair to the cyclist, lights just changed at the worst time. If they'd stayed red i imagine you'd have joined him at the top of the line? Skoda driver should have been aware of the cyclist approaching and known they were turning right (as they all would) but were happy enough to wait once they saw them, instead of leaning on the horn

• Advertisement

I agree, the Skoda driver did absolutely nothing wrong imo.

Bad form from the cyclist.

Maybe I'm just used to the junction but his awareness was awful, the car wasn't indicating and the light was red for a long time as we approached and it went green before he reached the car yet he still proceeded with attempting to get in front and only put his hand out after the car started to move off. The driver then saw him and stopped to allow him to cross in front out of a combination of surprise and courtesy is my guess. Yes, I try to get to the front here but I'm very cautious about it as so many cars go straight on and if traffic is heavy you get cars trying to cut in and out of that queue all the way to the lights so the only "safe" space is at the top in front of the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭standardg60

He was passing the back of the car when the lights changed as far as i can see.

Anyway it's a dreadful junction for cyclists, and definitely one of those that calls for the right turn arrow to go green a few seconds before the straight on one

It was effectively a right hook, as opposed to the classic driver doing the left hook with a late indicator on the cyclist.

My favoured position is get to the front and to the extreme right when turning right but that wasn't the time to go for it.

This is when it goes green. Not defending the cyclist or attacking the driver, but I think the two second delay before the driver started to move off led the cyclist to assume the driver was turning right / perhaps letting the cyclist go past him rather than pinching him against the island?

Either way, I wouldn't have done what the cyclist did but drivers can respond very strangely when they notice a bicycle and don't know how to respond re: right of way. I always stop and wave them on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Yep I agree, hence the edit.

Only slight marks lost for not checking to the left before moving off.

i watched that video again and i think i realise why i assumed it was right turn only from that lane - on the light in front of the cyclist, only the right turn arrow goes green (you can see on the pole on the right hand side of the road, both arrows go green) - he may not have seen that and since he only saw a right arrow go green, only right turning traffic could move.

yep, it's mainly tokenistic, but would eliminate a little bit of noise from random insertion of 'uncontrolled' keys. sucks if you're a mac user, though.

Yes correct, it is as you mentioned if someone takes documents from an offical machine for which ever reason and they lose it, it has some protection. I'm just the messager here, if the user the Garda said it to enables Bitlocker on the USB stick and hands it back in again there should be no problem. Your right also about infections.

it is a difficult one though; without an online portal, how do you safely enable people to submit evidence without opening up your systems to compromise?

The straight-ahead arrow lit up too but looks dimmed in the video but it would make sense if he thought it was a right turn only junction. I think those arrows are pointless and should be a solid green unless it's to prevent left-turning in that lane across the pedestrian crossing? I don't see why they are needed otherwise https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3580131,-6.4742587,3a,75y,261.62h,78.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPhNmiWYb4rZqJRb5Z7c2yg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

i suspect there's no general green light there if they want to have a different sequence for the left turning traffic.

I won't be popular in the Garda, but two things, one the Garda could actually take your blank USB and do it in the station, there is no reason they can't and give it back to the person with the code/password (its about a 1/2 min job on a blank USB) or arrange for the person that is offically designated CCTV collection in the station to go collect it. Failing all of that send an email into the district office to the Super.

Its a separate lane for turning left so it shouldn't be needed but I guess the designer wanted to highlight that it was straight ahead and right only by using the lights when making this mess of a junction! Looking at the junction I can't see any sequence where it would be straight or right green only

Ciaran in another close one, DB replied and are following up

• Advertisement
Advertisement