Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's not my experience. The benefit of using TrafficWatch is that you know that the incident has been logged. I've had a few experiences going into the station where they take details on a post-it note, which I'm fairly sure gets filed in the bin when I walk out. They can't do that with TW as it has een logged from day 1.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Traffic Watch can't deal with actual collisions in my experience, and the Gardaí have to take that seriously so there's no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cycling inbound towards the Children's Hospital, taking the lane so nobody tries to fly up past me in the bus lane after the junction and I hear a beep behind me to see a Prius right on my arse, I give him the WTF hand signal then he floors it past me. Normally bullying would make me move over more but before I could think he was already flooring it. I was behind him at the next light as it went green, then he flew down Kildare Road where I would have caught up to him again but I was turning off. You're never far from a red light in a built up area, speeding and driving aggressively is just pointless.

If you don't take the lane, you're asking for close/dangerous passes because Irish drivers have no patience

Take the lane or they take chances.

Not excusing that driving at all, and not having a go at you over what was likely a very scary incident, just saying there's a way you can lessen the likelihood of close/dangerous passes. Hope you're ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm not sure taking the lane here would have done anything to prevent that the other lane was clear he wasn't squeezing by just not bothered to give space

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You are right but it is nice to have that space to move into if they drift whiel skimming you. Not much better but a tiny bit. If everyone was like the first car though, then it wouldn't matter a f* where you were as it would be safe.

Absolutely I try to do the same too but it's not always easy a few seconds lapse in concentration and you're too close to the kerb. Looking at the video again the ops positioning isn't too bad but the state of the road, footpath widths and entrances etc. the good pass beforehand he drifts a little left something I'm probably guilty of daily! Then you get the close pass reminder :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Please report that and insist on making a statement.

It's the second or third car tailgaters thst are often make the scariest passers. 1sr car safe and they follow blind, often clueless as to the obstacle or hazard ahead. Muppets. Tailgating is a real problem in Ireland, and not policed effectively or at all.

Careless driving will only land someone in District Court, where the standard of judges is pretty damn low. You'll encounter the exact same attitude from a DC Judge as you will from the average Garda Sergeant when it comes to offences against cyclists.

Pre pandemic I'd a close pass and intimidating driving from a guy who reckoned I should be in the bike lane. He was revving his car behind me, beeping and shouting all caught on camera. I reported it to Lucan and the first question was why wasn't I cycling in the bike lane, even when explained they said it could all have been avoided if I was cycling where I was supposed to be!! I instantly knew it wasn't going to go anywhere.

• Advertisement

I wonder if they apply the same filter logic to burglaries (why not stay home and not give thieves the opportunity to break in) or assault victim( if you were not there the assault would have been avoided)

Etc...

The attitude of some of them leaves a lot to be desired. No wonder its a free for all with close passes etc. It's unlikely to be reported and even less likely to be taken seriously.

Policing by consent or is it if they consent to police?

No effort to pass at a safe distance and overtaking against oncoming vehicle. All too common. Will you report this?

With on coming vehicle and narrow lane I move out more. Then a driver from behind has to cross into the path of oncoming traffic to pass. Most will hold back until its safe or safer. You should not have to do this but when you dont you may get a pass like you experienced, which is a Jesus Christ and FFS pass.

Lucky I was pulling up short as he certainly wasn't stopping I was looking right for traffic on the road and lane and just looked left as he passed! https://streamable.com/i71n9a and a classic left hook https://streamable.com/unb6v1 yesterday on the way to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dunno if you could call that a left hook in fairness, cars a fair distance ahead of you and is indicating clearly well ahead of the junction. He just slows right down to make the turn which is why you catch up with him.

Fair enough it's not the worst left hook I've had but still poor driving if I didn't adjust speed and position I'd have hit him all because he was too impatient to wait and turn behind me.

Yeah one I'd shake my head over as opposed to shaking my fist at.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was crossing with the pedestrian/bike lights on James Joyce bridge earlier. Some guy slams on the brakes to make the red (he had plenty of time) the barrels through anyway as a grandad and baby are crossing.

All so he could join the back of a line of traffic a few metres on

I did what I have long stopped doing and sort of went back towards him intending to give him a passive aggressive/sarcastic clap. He apologized. Said it was his fault entirely. I pointed out about the child, he said he knew, his fault. I pointed out he had stopped and then went through anyway, he said he knows, he's sorry.

I lost it a bit then, I then used some fairly unsavoury insults at him and he looked genuinely stunned. Absolute prick in his stupid SUV that thinks that a simple oh I know is enough for being a complete cretin. A bully who probably gets his way all the time.

If you have video it is definitely easier but it depends on the Garda you get. There is no way to upload video. We are in the dark ages in that way unfortunately. You could say to the Garda that you just want them to have a word and not make a statement. That driver was totally inconsiderate / unaware and deserves to be aske to account for that pass.

For the sake of tackliing the rise of close passing, I see it as correct to report them. Each incident could be the next cyclist in collision with motor vehicle, but motororist uninjured report in Media. Its time this sort of driving was tackled and proper records of how endemic it is built up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The guy made a mistake and put his hands up - several times. What more do you want him to do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to not make 'mistakes', i suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭standardg60

Exactly, if the driver had stopped dead there poster would have been into the back of them. Complete lack of awareness.

He got caught being a dangerous cretin on the road. He was happy to be chatting away on his phone. then he had to slam the brake to avoid hitting me. He should've been well aware the light was red by the as it's a 2 lane crossing on both sides and they both go red at the same time. He still decided to barrel through when there's a child in a buggy being brought across on a green pedestrian (and bike) light.

An apology isn't enough for that type of ignorance. There was zero meaning to it. He was only sorry someone called him out for his shithead behaviour. Saying he knew he went through the light too when the child was there. That's not a mistake. That's being a dangerous and completely abhorrent driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

That's a very different scenario. There is no mention of any phone in your initial post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chap - going by the first post and not even needing to revert to the second; did not make 'a mistake'. it sounds like it was deliberate.

someone getting a bolllocking for treating a red light like an optional extra, when there are crossing pedestrians, getting a dressing down, gets the world's smallest violin from me. he's more likely to hesitate next time as a result.

Even if he hadn't been on the phone. It was completely **** driving, and deliberate. And remember, this was all so he could join the back of traffic a few metres up the road. It's not like I had to turn and chase him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I don't think being aggressive is the way to approach these kinds of scenarios. Best to just be in dismay and almost be disappointed in the person if you end up talking to them. Angry exchanges tend to lead greater vitriol towards cyclists whereas if you calmly explain yourself there may be a greater chance he'll think twice the next time.

DPD driver coming onto a roundabout in front of me this morning. Luckily I have a decent set of pipes to warn him. This wasn't my main issue though. It was that two other vehicles had already stopped coming onto the roundabout (which is a glorified T junction one) to go right but it never even occurred to him why that might be. He looked sorry/ashamed which is better than most reactions.

Take the lane!!!

• Advertisement

you know what's going to happen there though? 'the cyclist should have been in the dedicated cycle lane'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Passing this turn to my right this morning, fu(kwit decides to make the turn beside me without slowing too much & a car coming from the opposite direction having to jam on to avoid, talk about a retarded move. Roads are getting progressively more dangerous.

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UCDNfEPSE5JnJdP57

Plenty of genuine reasons not to be in the cycle lane. Could be turning left up ahead, could have missed the light sequence to get into the cycle lane etc. Non-cyclists don't seem to be able to grasp what it's like to actually cycle on roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

He's also in a bus lane which is still a cycle lane, and marked as such.

I would have reported that too as it intimidation and threatening behavior, not to mention the poor driving.

Maybe he was rushing to go to a family event... Like who has a hammer or other tool/weapon to hand while driving..? I had one pull a steel pipe on me in a car park just because they could not overtake me on a ramp with a 15kmph limit.

Mad that people like this are out there every single day, rage and impatience rushing through their veins. What a way to live. Sharing the road with them is a daily challenge.

• Advertisement

At the very least it's a public order offence so a fine and upto 6 months imprisonment. Followed by driving without due care and attention and if the Garda is feeling like flexing their powers, it is certainly covered under the assault regulations.

No statement, bar a knock on the door, it's going no further and by the sounds of it there won't even be a knock on the door.

In reality, what could the Gardaí do? There's no video evidence (I assume) so it's just your word against his. That's why I'm tempted to get some form of recording device when I'm out for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Store Street station is where I had a garda take my case seriously pre-covid and brought it to court, it's really pick'n'mix as to how well a garda does their job. I went via Traffic Watch from where he picked up the case though, and I had video footage which I imagine they couldn't really deny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A private bus pulled in on top of me forcing me into the kerb before I stopped, blatant as ****. It was an evening and there was nowhere to go anyway because traffic was stopped. When I confronted him he had tunnel vision and was probably afraid to acknowledge my existence so wouldn't make eye contact, never mind explain himself.

Garda was great, thought it was enough to level dangerous driving but it was knocked down to careless driving before it went to court. I never actually heard what happened since as it was due to hit the court just as the lock downs began. For all I know the case may even have been dropped as I haven't had an update since.

I must dig out the footage and post it, it's on an old laptop.

• Advertisement

It would help if AGS developed a protocol for things like this. No motorist should be able to threaten another road user. The current subjectivity of how they are handled or investigated is not helping.

I had one similar on the quays last evening with a horse and cart. The driver pushed through on the cycle lane while the lights are red. Started shouting at me to move out of his way. I ignored him. He then threatened to smash my face and tried to gallop the horse towards me into the bike lane when the lights went green. Horse had more sense and railed against it. It borders on animal cruelty to attempt this, not to mention the danger of doing this with an animal against a person. The anger for what, to be first off the lights in something that goes at 10 to 15kmph? Pity the tourist that gets a jaunt from this thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

This eve, centred myself in the middle of a lane to go straight ahead due to a left turn up ahead too. BMW 5 series behind decided to pull in from the opposite lane using the front of the car to nudge me from my position towards the kerb. Fairly swift move and had to comply or go under the front 😐️

Two phone users, one just after the goat on Clonskeagh Road just rolled out in front of me. Nearly headbutted his steering wheel when I roared and he jammed on. Second in UCD, on a polkadot covered phone while talking to kids as they rolled out onto the roundabout in front of me. Same again, let a roar and she nearly punched herself in the face with the phone trying to figure out what was going on. Thankfully paying attention I was able to avoid/stop for both but f*** me. I'm 6 foot tall and made of more fatty Longford Beef than an elderly cow. Not a hope they'd have even noticed if I hadn't the same bellowing lungs as a cow as well.

i passed a car parked in the 'SCHOOL-KEEP-CLEAR' section here yesterday - i had to swing out of the cycle lane, outside the bollards, to pass the car; as i was about to pass, i noticed the window was open and someone was in the car so i called out a (not aggressive) 'do you mind?' and startled the everliving **** out of the woman in the drivers seat who had clearly pulled in to take or make a phone call. she near screamed with the fright.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3640481,-6.2266663,3a,75y,85.94h,75.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8SA83ZXTBdffv8mtP6BSMQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I didn't have a near miss yesterday. But a motorbiker did.

Mammy in a white RAV overtook me, straight at a motorbike.

A bright blue bike, with a big bright yellow light on it. And she tried her best to wipe him out.

Big grass verge on my left, I heard her coming, put up my hand to try to stop her and and threw the bike onto the grass. He grabbed the brakes and headed for the ditch too.

We both stopped completely. Asked him was he alright. He was fuming. Neither of us got a reg. 191 MH .....

She never even touched the brakes.

Between Senchalstown pitch and Beauparc station.

between dunshaughlin (via ratoath) to the nine mile roundabout just south of ashbourne today, i had about eight instances of motorists overtaking into oncoming traffic. most of them on the ratoath-nine mile section.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

This morning, taxi passed me as I was going through traffic calming on Celbridge main street.

Not the calmest start to the day.

Regrettably, it will probably depend on the Super as its a criminal not civil case but I'd be the same as you, it maybe technically wasting time (in that you kow its unlikely to have anything come of it) but it might make him think twice as the next guy might have it on camera. You went to the Gardai first, make sure you have an official statement. Interested about the punches you threw (did he go to a doctor, report to the gardai etc. very odd behaviour as if someone punched me out of the blue without justification, if I did not retaliate I presume I would be straight down to the cop shop to show them the bruises etc.).

Unrelated but also get a camera, the number of people who I have seen claim they have one and when you point out yours they go quiet and slink away.

I'd take my chances in court. Cyclists generally mind their own business and in my experience van drivers are known to be more aggressive towards cyclists than other road users, plus they have a bad attitude towards other road users in general.

If the punishment pass wasn't true you wouldn't have engaged at all. Plus if you started throwing punches first why would you call the Gardai? Not hard to guess what really happened in that situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement