Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sounds very bizarre and someone wanting to conjure up a second side of the story to make it impossible to decide.

Two things of note make this very unbelievable and I am surprised the Garda is not aligning with you here.

The person was in a van and somehow you caught them while cycling and then just randomly hit them (inside the van) and they never fought back or went to the Garda to report it?

Let them make the statement under caution. Make your statement and make sure its noted beyond doubt that you notified the garda first. Also, as others said, get a camera.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The funny thing is that this will only reinforce his hatred for cyclists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Yes, it's worth a stab. I had a similar experience with a close pass, before I got a camera, where the Gardai decided my version was more credible than the taxi driver's and issued a FCN. I presume he accepted it and paid because I was never called to court.

Maybe but then the guy has a real problem. Why should he be allowed to harbour a hatred of cyclists or any road user. Maybe it's time he copped on and if this helps its good public service. No place for that behaviour on the road in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I wasn't say to not do it, just that these kind of people have a warped sense of logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Close one coming home on Sunday night, leaving Clonee on the R149 and taking a right turn at the junction a car was waiting to pull out, as I was making my turn they were pulling out so I had to go super wide to avoid getting hit.

It's an unlit road so there's no way for me to really indicate. They went to pull out initially then stopped and even at that they had plenty of time to go again safely, just silly to pull out as someone is crossing your path.

Coming home on the quays today some moron flew across the bus lane and straight across me in the bike lane to go into the Circle K, at the rate my back wheel has been locking up I'll need a new tyre by the end of Summer. Then as I'm passing Guinness some twat just stepped out onto the bike lane, head down on the phone. Absolutely no reason for him to walk there as nothing was in the way. Nearly hit him going 35kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

coming down Shantalla Road last night and will be turning right onto Beaumont road, 50m or so from lights which have just turned orange, I'm turning right at the junction ahead so getting into right hand side of the lane is the place to be, check over shoulder, Dublin bus lamping it a bit behind, i'll stay put thinks I, red light, bus reaches lights and barrels right around the corner through a well cooked red.

Brutal and dangerous driving through a very residential area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That whole junction is a disaster, has been for years with people trying to cut through Beaumont House and the garage to try and skip the lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

The driver tried to explain that it was my fault she attempted to drive over me as I wasn't in the bike lane and was cycling too slowly holding her up. https://streamable.com/h3eiki I cut it short as it's mostly me and the driver cursing at each other which I'm not proud of at the end and you can't hear the driver!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you were cycling too slowly towards a red light.

It's in Leixlip just at Intel.

I tried explaining that too but it was no use in her mind I had no right to be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Asshole, she goes across all the solid white lines and blocks the pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I had someone beeping me out of it. Probably thought I shouldn't have been on the road. Ah well, I took my time and completely slowed down without a care in the world.

Thats it and it's another argument why poor/bad infrastructure creates more issues than it solves. The cycle lanes all assume you want to go into Intel here if not you lose priority and have to negotiate 4 junctions vs keeping priority and 1 junction! The other side isn't as bad but I've given up using it as the merge back to road level is often blocked with cars/vans but the haters don't see that just a bike in their way and lay on the horn/punishment pass to prove it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah it's a pain in the hoop along there.

Infrastructure that assumes a cyclist should stop at 2 pedestrian crossings (and cycle through the pedestrians?) to continue up the main road.

Before that point you've to cross the construction site enterance. Where I've had a couple of rows with bus drivers and the useless stop/go men.

Then invariably pedestrians walking on the bike lane around the roundabout. Then bike lane changes into just a white line at Lidl so every jackass comes in on top of you if a car heading right for Lidl.

The other way is as bad. Cycle lane just disappears at the roundabout and again pedestrian crossings at Jones. Lot better after Jones Eng. That's the only bit I use......

All conspires, as you point out, to drivers thinking you're in their way and should use the useless bike lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Had one going down the Feltrim road yesterday and the turn to kettle's lane. It's right after a downhill so I wasn't going slow but one car had overtaken me safely between the bottom of the hill and the upcoming junction.

The next car I glance back and appears to be keeping back only to pull out and overtake me onto oncoming traffic at the junction, barely missing the oncoming car in the other lane and nearly forcing me into the cars waiting to turn onto the road.

What goes through these people's head? I get overtaken on that road on solid white lines going into blind bends or hills every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I get similar on this route. All you can do is take the lane which seems to discourage all but the loonies, but you probably already do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Last Wednesday saw two MAMILS cycling at speed on the footpath on the Upper Glen Road in the Phoenix Park, adjacent to the closed part of the road. They almost got hit by two pedestrians. Luckily for them the pedestrians were able to jump onto the grass verge. Very close call for the cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've taken to taking the lane when I can see oncoming traffic and up hills and bends but unless you're almost crossing the lane it seems some of them will still give it a go. The bigger the vehicle seems to be almost the worst.

• Advertisement

Any chance you have a copy and could you share what you submitted I always struggle to try to articulate this sort of stuff properly! I'd put my own spin on it just to use as a template/guide would be great.

Sounds like a close call for the pedestrians, as being a path, they are legitimately on it, while the cyclists were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Made a submission myself about a month after it opened and it was clear how **** it was. I highlighted the loss of crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists across the M4 arm of the roundabout, the lack of clear route to continue towards maynooth from leixlip, and the danger introduced by the placement of tactile paving at the new dog-leg on the downhill approach from the M4, particularly in cold and frosty weather. and the danger introduced by the extra lanes for anyone trying to cross the road. Copied councillors on it, and they raised questions to the executive in one of the monthly council meetings. The response was essentially "It's done now, we're not changing anything"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Absolute w*nkers, particularly when they have the whole closed road beside them to use. Hope someone gave a roar at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Christ that's a bad one. Besides shouting like you did, the pettiness in me would have loved to move back in front of her and take my leisurely time in moving off.

I had a driving school car giving instruction at the time try to pass me on a pinch point bend, with on coming traffic. A safe pass at distance was impossible. I was in a cycle lane and moved out ahead of the bend to prevent an overtake. The vehicle slowed only directly behind me, passing safely after the bend.

I did l not know it was a driving school car until it passed. This was poor reading of the situation by the instructor, and sending the wrong message to the pupil.

I stopped at the next lights to question the instructor about awareness of road users and not telling the pupil to back off passing on a bend. His attitude shocked me. He said I should have stayed in the cycle lane, it was OK to pass me and I created the issue. I tried to explain that a safe distance pass could not be effected at that point without crossing over the centre line, which was not possible with oncoming traffic. Also did he not think overtaking a cyclist at a bend is not advisable. This was the reason I moved out, to take the lane, which is good awareness on my behalf. Basically he said that I must stay in the lane and he was permitted to pass I got a bit irate at his attitude and said his awareness of cyclists and knowledge of the rules of the road was sub-par for a professional instructor. I left after advising the pupil they should not waste their money with this school.

Is it possible to make a complaint to the RSA about the standard of instruction given by professional instructors? I have video and audio of the instructors comments. What hope have we got if passing cyclists correctly is not thought at foundation level?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've not heard of someone doing so before, but their callcentre number is 096 25000 if you want to try...

Good one this morning cycling the canal path along the Nangor road and a white van with hazards on pushes past!! I know access is needed but with the road noise I never expected a van to pass me on the tow path and I could easily have moved out to avoid something on the path and gone under him. I think I'll message waterways as there's no way they should be passing cyclists doing 30kph there!

Not the worst pull out but I was already slowing from 55kph or so https://streamable.com/kyzwj2 I caught up with him and tried to be explain from my perspective but he told me to f off you can only hear his passenger saying there was loads of room! https://streamable.com/g9uj9d . Just an asshole but my blood was up from the van and I nearly caught him twice https://streamable.com/id5rsj . This mornings pass on a dedicated cycleway!!https://streamable.com/3qphpc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, the last guy had his hazards on, so that means he can do anything, anywhere.

• Advertisement

Going into Grange Castle from Newcastle Road, a woman passes me just as I'm about to turn. Fortunately I wasn't going straight as I would have went into the side of her car, as she was turning she cut into the bike lane which also had debris along the inside from construction trucks so I was in a tricky spot. I was alongside her rear wheel going through the bend.

She nearly stalled it when trying to get back up to speed and at the next light I could see she was holding an apple. People smoking or actively holding a drink/food while driving bug me as they're not in proper control.

Looking at the map now it's silly that the bike lane isn't marked straight on as it could give people the impression cyclists can't go straight and people likely wouldn't think twice about turning alongside a cyclist. Lately I've noticed people are really bad at staying in their lane through turns and always cut corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

Not me, but a Dublin Bus driver turning right at this junction in Dundrum almost drove over the woman in front of me on the cycle path yesterday.

His facial expression registered exasperation rather than the sort of reaction you might expect in a person who nearly killed someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Saw a buck driving yesterday with a mcflurry in one hand and the phone held up in front of the face with the other hand. Like why not eat your treat and use your phone before hitting the road

Comments deleted

McCrack, don't post in this thread again.

Must not have anything going on with your life if you have to visit random forums to try troll people on a Friday night.

His head came very close to smacking the edge of the kerb all the same.

The worst part about that was after being triggered by the cyclists and the **** overtake he got absolutely nowhere. I glad the fool left the scene throw the library at him for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

So great that it was caught on camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭standardg60

What was most damning was the fact the driver chose to stay in the left lane in order to intimidate and bully further, all the other cars all went into the right lane which was straight on only. Someone with a serious hang up with all cyclists and about time they were caught red-handed before they killed someone.

Got some wallop on the back of the head on the ground, he'll be feeling that one. Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As terrifying as it all was, and I hope they throw the book at the driver, I was cringing at the guy in front who was screaming I got it on video instead of holy **** are you okay. Sad state of affairs that's were his mind was at. Although maybe it's just the adrenaline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Not a near miss as such but was at lights heading to Stoneybatter area. Car went through green light in NCR. Nothing wrong with that, but was so obvious driver was looking down at her phone as she went to junction, so a good 2 or 3 seconds, albeit couldn’t see the phone.

Oh and car was absolutely wrecked on drivers side, so that lesson didn’t ring through.

Driving behaviour in Dublin is absolutely shocking these days, using phones, breaking lights, lack of indicating, driving with side mirrors tucked in completely (an increasing trend these days).

was in decathlon earlier, crossing at a pedestrian crossing heading in, and a driver drove through it while i was halfway across; and i can put my hand on my heart and say she had no idea i was there.

Mirrors tucked in how do you get out of your drive/parking space without noticing that!! It speaks volumes for the driver's spatial awareness.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had some idiot come up the one way road in the phoenix park driving on the cycle lane. I'd say the family I passed after had some fright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Nobody indicates anymore... they couldnt be arsed, and theres no consequences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement