Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agreed. There should be more people pulled for it but AGS couid not be bothered doing that either. Some of them dont bother either and stop in the advance cyclist box at junctions too.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i was in Phoenix park yesterday with three kids, 4 of us on bicycles. On the Ordnance Survey road, held up a driver in a Merc behind for i'd imagine 20 seconds as they couldn't overtake due to to cars in opposite lane. As they overtook me a goon in the passenger seat shouted out something along the lines of "blah blah cyclists kids lane blah blah blah". As far as I know there is no bike lane along there so not sure what his exact issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ordinance Survey Road is much better now that it's no longer a through road, almost no traffic on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it closed? i.e. are you not able to drive from chesterfield avenue out knockmaroon gate?

Sorry should have been more specific (as someone who has commuted through for many years I'm not that familiar with the park!) There's bollards at Upper Glen Road car park so nobody can come from the Chapelizod side. There's still some traffic at Knockmaroon but the close calls I've had in the twisty section are basically gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nearly collided with another cyclist today. was on the portmarnock to baldoyle greenway and a woman cycling towards me got distracted by something in her basket and stopped to investigate, but swung across in front of me as she came to a stop. missed her by a few inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sounds like a basket case

got close passed today i think out near dunboyne, and i think it was a triple word score of red flags; 14 year old passat, DL reg, and a nurburgring sticker on the back.

yesterday, i was close passed (into oncoming traffic) by a chap driving an irish school of motoring instructor's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

While she should of been more aware, there is big arrows on the road showing which lane you should be in for going straight. Would never go straight from a lane that says left hand turn only. I always move myself into the middle lane there especially because the cars opposite will cut you off as they will turn right without thinking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

not me, but caught a hairy one the other day (Wed evening) on O'Connell St (Dublin). Was headed up towards Supermacs there, where a woman walking in front of me was anxiously looking for an opportunity to cross towards Abbey St Lower in heavy traffic. Lights went red up at that junction. Without even looking back, hopped out onto the road - cyclist behind slammed the brakes and luckily avoided creaming her. She danced off with a nervous 'Ha ha'. Yer man seemed pretty shocked and managed not to upend himself 😬🤬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well fudge me i nearly had the same yesterday.

Headed from Kilmessan out toward Dunsany the few bends before the hill up to the quarry

I can see a motorbike (with a nice bright headlight) coming toward me plain as day, fairly shifting too.

I hear a car coming hard behind me, no slow down coming.

Held my line and threw my hand out in a stop/right turn kind of a gesture.

Car slams on and I look back to see the bike manage to squeeze through, car is way over the middle of the road, outside me completely and I'm well out.

Once is unfortunate, twice is a pattern. I'm well out taking the lane, both times.

Are these drivers adding bike and motorbike together and assuming space left for car.

Are they just not seeing the bikes (full sure the first one didn't)? Are they just oblivious?

Are they all on their phones???

Oh edit.

I also had a little Mazda crossover (cx3?) overtake me so close (and very low speed) in Dunsaughlin that i gave his back quarter panel a whack. It being a nice light Mazda I have hopefully done at least €500 damage.

Then 500m later an Audi Q3 overtook me and within 10 seconds had to turn right, and left me no space to fit down the inside. She was stuck with about 10 oncoming cars. So i just went around her on the right, where she had left loads of space. She was wearing a mask and staring straight ahead with the wheel in a death grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Out last night heading from baldoyle up to the cycle lane on coast road, road was quiet no traffic jams in either direction and at the take aways just before the Elphin some young fella just pulls straights across the road right in front of me to go into a parking space. Dopey young 1 in the passenger seat just looking at me with no reaction or saying anything to the driver. Was in a bit of shock and anger that I didn't get a reg number but not sure how far I'd get if I reported him. Been contemplating a camera for a while and think now its time to get .

there's near misses and then there's this 😲

A bonkers amount of victim blaming in the twitter posts too

People are HORRIFIC at staying in their lanes on a slight bend. See it daily when driving the backroads to work. Funny that there's a lot of protected bike lanes in areas that don't really need it while there's loads of bends or junctions where people sit in the bike lane to turn left that are left without them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The replies from people on his post are actually disgusting and clueless at times

Talking about overtaking and blind spots etc. Are they too thick to think for a second that the cycle lane is different to the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

This and using phones in slow-moving traffic daily I'm pinched in on or cut off by traffic slowly weaving in and out of lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not a near miss but just a stressful situation with impatient drivers.

Cycling along on a minor road with T - junction ahead, where you have to turn left or right onto a major road. But once you're stopped, there's often traffic turning into the minor road.

So was on the minor road. Stopped before the white line with my arm out to signal turning right. But cars on the major road from both directions wanted to turn into the minor road. Cars on the left of me were stopped because of no real break to get through with cars coming from the right... But as soon as there is a break, car on the left of me signals me on... Ah how lovely of them, me thinks... Except, there's now a car driving on the right but signalling to turn into the minor road... And I sit there until they complete their turn but asshole behind me starts beeping like mad to hurry me on.

Am I correct in thinking that I don't take drivers signals and I'm meant to wait until the car on the right turns into the minor road (if they do)? Like what am I meant to do. Take someone else's thoughts and they think it's ok to exit, except it's not and I could end up having a car or truck drive into me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He seems to attract a load of random UK Twitter accounts that are specifically trolls. I don’t know if it’s because he engages with them or there’s some UK account that likes to retweet him and then they all pile in

Thats awful in Cork. I would be reporting that but I know RTBI has not had much success. I probably would have slowed, and then moved well outside the cycle lane to prevent a close pass from any vehicles behind. It does not justify what happened being the cyclists fault in any way. Driver should be checking mirrors.

I had a Dublin Bus encroach into a cycle lane before fully passing and then for good measure started to slow to stop. Pointless overtake. It was not as close as RTBI, but was still way to close and gave me a fright as the space between vehicle and kerb narrowed to the width of my bars and alongside a massive wheel.

I must try and get it on streamable. I had to bang the side of the bus repeatedly to stop it coming in. I reported it to AGS. DB are pretty bad in terms in infomation. Claiming GDPR etc. (I don't want to know the name of the driver) Can you insist they advise you the outcome of the investigation?

• Advertisement

From experience, DB won't tell you anything beyond the video was forwarded to the depot manager for investigation, if you want more you'll have to go to AGS even then I've given up as you have to do all the leg work e.g. attend to report, come back to give a statement and possibly go to court if they dispute it.

Just on GDPR, you can request the on board video where you are in the frame, so if they have a few cameras, you can get a few angles (no idea how many there are on a bus)

From memory, I got views of the driver, out both doors, front, back and both flanks of the bus the newer busses are quite well covered!

How can they claim GDPR for not giving you CCTV footage when you're literally entitled to footage of yourself because it counts as personal information? Anyone can request CCTV footage of themselves from anywhere and it must be provided free of charge within 30 days.

Whether they comply or not is a different story...

Thanks for all the replies. I was not after video from them as my own is sufficient.

My issue is they won't tell me anything other than the driver was interviewed. Saying outcome is protected by GDPR and HR policy. My point is, I dont know, need or want to know the driver name so what is the privacy issue. I would just like to know what the outcome as I dont think they treat these serious if there is no injury. The outcome could be provided and stíl preserve the employees privacy. It happens with WRC cases all the time, which are normally reported anonymous. Why would the same not apply here?

Ah yeah, that's different, they don't have to divulge that info as it's internal.

If you escalate to the Gardai on the other hand

• Advertisement

he deliberately tags the BBC presenter jeremy vine in a lot of his tweets, who often shares them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's a certain level of showmanship that goes into making the videos, I suspect with this target audience in mind. There's 3 or 4 junctions he has multiple videos of the same type of near miss happening. Drivers always at fault of course, but you'd think a sense of self preservation would eventually kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah that makes sense, it’s an absolute cesspit with them all parroting the whole Tory argument of unlicensed cyclists etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭PhillySteak9

How about this overtake from last Sunday by a Parcel King courier van?

to be fair, it's not the most dramatic i've seen; how far was he from you? his right wheel was on the grass verge on the other side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He looked like he was afraid of you! Nothing wrong with that overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Fair enough so - looks like I'm too sensitive. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's poor driving to overtake with off side of van effectively crossing the mouth of at least two private entrances, but he's a decent distance from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The speed they take off up the road would be the only thing I see wrong in that clip

i think someone has taken a price out on my head. three near misses in a 50km cycle, all from people pulling out of minor roads without looking. two of them happened in the space of just over 230m. at least one may have popped a tyre on kerb after swerving with fright when he realised i was there.

and that's not counting white van man who was beeping at me and giving me the fingers, even though he did this coming towards me and we'd had no cause to interact in any way at all.

this is where the one happened where the driver clipped the kerb; i was headed in the direction the camera is facing, which is northbound (and downhill, so you pick up a bit of speed) through garristown. from the minor road to the right, a van was taking a left and a lad in a blue peugeot (407 maybe?) was taking a right; i copped the peugeot but he was partially obscured by the van and in hindsight clearly didn't have a clear field of view up towards me, so i'd already started to brake; but he pulled out, copped i was there, and swung left and clipped the kerb probably a little further on from where the merc is parked on the left hand side.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5673168,-6.3834362,3a,75y,34.47h,83.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn1QdiBVX_axj_FvJ9LwGAQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I cut short my cycle yesterday around the same area. Im assuming people are frustrated & oblivious due to them looking for alternative routes due to the road works along the N2 & up at the snailbox. Had a few very close passes & a di(khead in a beemer do a uturn about 100m in front of me at the snailbox, not a f(uk given 🙄 thankfully I was only trundling uphill!

the other two happened in ballyboughal; one guy pulled out in front of me at the junction at o'connor's/the village inn (that was close enough), and then half a minute later, i was following maybe 30m or 40m behind an SUV who was turning right towards oldtown (as was i) and the driver of a white souped up audi waited for the SUV to pass, then gunned it out and came within maybe a metre or two of hitting me side on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Thank god I was slowing down for the yield sign anyway. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

There are several points along that track where I automatically slow down in anticipation of a potential issue, that's one of them, the stretch at Vernon avenue at the pumphouse, you have people crossing the road and not looking and people getting out of their cars at the carpark. The other one is the car park opposite Clontarf garage.

I wouldn't see that one as a near miss, rather a predictable hazard.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The stretch at the pump house can be particularly bad, and it's a yield coming in at both sides. A lot of cyclists seem to barrel through there regardless.

The carpark opposite the bus garage was deadly, when the bushes completely obscured the cycle track for motorists trying to enter. At least it's trimmed back now.

When there's people on the track, I tend to ring my bell continuously, from a distance, at a slow enough rate. So it's a low bell that alerts them for a distance hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

the passing motorists favourite spot in my neck of the woods in Castleknock - never fails to attract morons, despite the 1.5m passing sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/ETGrH3SKkDubDeLm8

Today it was the turn of some numb nut in a Honda CRV - the oncoming car had to stop and flash / beep. He them proceeded to overtake 5 cars in the stretch of the phoenix park between Castleknock gates and the first roundabout. The three drivers behind him thought it was such a good idea, they followed - the last one barely making it in before the roundabout.

I can't really see how there's any other solution to calm speed in the Phoenix Park other than by speed ramps down Chesterfield Avenue - whether the limit is is 30kph or 50 kph limit, they're constantly ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Chesterfield ave is too straight. No matter what they do, cars will always exceed the speed limit. Personally I think traffic from the city should be directed around the military road and the traffic into the city from Castleknock directed onto the North road. Put chicanes, speed ramps and pinch points all along both the north and military roads and that would slow the traffic. It would also ruin the park for everyone so won’t happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭standardg60

To be honest i'd be on the road there with all that hassle

Lots of lights to contend with on the road. And then aggressive drivers cause you aren't using the cycle lane.

Bit of a red mist incident on the bike today. Cycling from the nine mile roundabout near Ashbourne, towards donaghmore church, a guy in a white mondeo overtook me on a blind bend and pulled back in on top of me when a car came along the bend at him, probably came with a metre of me. I sent him some hand signals and he slowed down and reciprocated. Some points of view were exchanged, and some more hand signals and he drove off. A woman in a blue Audi passed me a couple of hundred metres later (safely) and gave me a big thumbs up and a friendly wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Was cycling up near Glencree this morning when a guy on a big white horse tried to take me out! As I cycled up to him he started screaming abuse at me at the top of his lungs. Called me a dirty c@nt and all manner of things. As I passed he got his horse to walk across the road and right out in front of me! Got the impression he was trying to make me crash or get the horse to rear up on top of me. I'm still a bit shocked by the whole incident. Seemed to be a complete nutjob; be careful if you come across this guy on your spins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It never ceases to amaze me the way some idiots drive with bale spikes or buckrakes.

Spikes should be turned back in towards your own engine.

These guys driving around with them at car (bike) level or as above, tractor/truck cab level should be put off the road.

Advertisement