Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I've seen quite a lot of red lights on the front of bikes lately and even some white lights on the back which is really offputting as from a distance in the dark you initially think somebody is cycling towards you in the cycle lane.

Great that these people are using lights but a standard would be helpful.
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A near miss for a cyclist on the Howth Road this morning when she broke a red light and nearly collided with a car that had right of way pulling out of a junction.

I caught up with her shortly after and told her that behaviour is what gives a bad name to cyclists in general and she was apologetic and said she shouldn't have done it. Hopefully she'll learn and thankfully there was no accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

No stopping at the Stop sign for this chap - he's in too much of a hurry to bother looking properly before pulling out. Caught him at the next lights and he was very apologetic albeit classic SMIDSY. I asked which of the two very bright front lights he didn't see... You can't see if you don't slow down too look mate!

https://streamable.com/var69

Does he have a phone in his right hand? As he waves you can see it. Prick probably just glanced for car headlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Does he have a phone in his right hand? As he waves you can see it. Prick probably just glanced for car headlights.

Does indeed, nice spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Yeah looks like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Jesus you're right, the fu€ker does have a phone in his hand. I hadn't noticed that myself. That changes things. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over a daft mistake, but that's pure wreckless. Reporting him so (for all the good it'll do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Jesus you're right, the fu€ker does have a phone in his hand. I hadn't noticed that myself. That changes things. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over a daft mistake, but that's pure wreckless. Reporting him so (for all the good it'll do).

Good man. You can actually make out that it’s something like Spotify. Rolling out of his estate, choosing some music.

If you find a Garda who cares it should be an easy case. It was very very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Report the f**ker. Half second later and he would have killed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Phone or not, it's an offense to proceed through a stop sign without stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

droidus wrote: »
    Phone or not, it's an offense to proceed through a stop sign without stopping.

Looks like a yield sign. but doesn't matter- you still have to yield or give way to oncoming traffic!

I missed the phone as well - no excuses, clear cut prick-ism.

Good spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There' something about the Nissan Qashqai. They seem to attract a disproportionately high number of idiotic drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yup, the bigger the car the bigger the c*nt.

https://twitter.com/karlstanley/status/1217863730584793090

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

^^^^

Didn't a van a crash into a signpole in or around that spot a few weeks back and knock it onto a cyclist? I can't find the post mentioning it.

Only a matter of time before some twat tried this. Had a similar incident before Christmas when a "gent" in a similar vehicle reckoned the bike lane and path at the rosey Hackett bridge was his personal route through the lights. Had ignored the bus bike lane leading up to it, and mounted two wheels onto a packed pack doing so. People like this simply don't give a toss and there's zero policing or deterrent out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

kenmm wrote: »
    Ouch - close one there!

I often wonder (and it's been much debated, even illegal at one point) if the flashing lights cause confusion with a certain demographic of driver).

There are a wide variance in bike lights and we don't do much to standardise this (like for example car lights) or test drivers on this (i.e. testing eyesight or something specifically for flashing or other bike lights).

**Of course here, the driver should have at least made an attempt to wait to check if there was any traffic to yield to! NOT suggesting otherwise**
    Stark wrote: »
    I don't think the driver in that case gave a ****. I've noticed it a lot these days whether I'm out for a jog, cycling or driving. They don't give a **** about stop or yield signs no matter who's on the road already, just drive straight out and leave it to everyone else to react.

I'm inclined to think they are looking for cars in the car lane and stuff in the bike lane is effectively invisible. I usually move out into the lane for such junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cycling down Swords road yesterday in the morning a taxi driver decides to "overtake" me just as we were coming to red lights by the nursing home. Inches away from me and then stops. Did exactly what the RSA say went in front of him and took the entire lane so he wouldn't try to pass the same way. Continue on with him beeping as we approached the next set of lights which were also red. He literally had no where to go but kept beeping.
    He then rolled down his window shouting at me until another driver beside him rolled down his window to tell him to shut up. Absolutely no where for him to go either time. Wish I had video but I still await my super helmet with built in cameras and distance sensors. I hope it is precise so it can be used to say how close a pass is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

might be worth tweeting one of the insurance companies to ask how they would respond to such an email?
    however, i suspect their response would be that it's not actionable, and even 'a customer breaking the law does not necessarily put us at higher risk of having to make a payout' - even though penalty points on your licence is used as a metric for how safe a driver you are.

I had a warm response from Axa when I emailed their fraud dept about drivers doing commercial work in private vehicles. I've no idea what follow up they did, but they seemed to welcome getting the info. Let me know if anyone needs the email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I never come into these threads but I had the absolute worst close pass I've ever experienced this morning. Bus Éireann, 07 D reg between Trim and Navan. Overtook on a solid white line at the motorway fly over without any part of the bus crossing the line. He flew past so close and fast that the draft pushed me about a foot sideways and I nearly took my buddy out of it with the handlebars.
    I'm not letting the prick get away with this. Professional driver? My hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Near miss with a seagull this morning :D

F*cker decided to take off from his perch on a wall here and shot straight across in front of my face - wings made contact with my chest.
    Big wobble but just about stayed upright.

At least I gave the commuters walking from the Dart something to laugh at on a Monday morning

Near miss on castleknock road this morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/7TMPWySMeEpCEWj6A

I'm travelling towards the phoenix park, guy in a landcruiser pulls out from Georgian village on my right. He pulled across the opposite lane, saw me and stopped. Then presumably saw cars behind me, so decided to gun it, right into my path. Left a roar at him and he looked genuinely startled, but I'd held eye contact with him - he knew exactly what he was at "ah just some fella on a bike".

• Advertisement

That's one for the gardai. Looks like he didn't even cross the solid white line.

Yup and an email with a link to the video to the company.

https://mungreteng.com/contact-us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

re above, can you submit videos to traffic watch or will they just send you to the local garda station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thud wrote: »
    re above, can you submit videos to traffic watch or will they just send you to the local garda station?

You report incident to TW, they contact local station, investigating Garda from the station will then take the footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Had my obligatory close pass from a Swords Express on Gardiner Street this morning. Absolutely pointless as there was nothing coming from the other direction and I was only going to catch it at the next junction, which I did.

Asshole I assume saw me coming and pulled over to block the cycle lane and me. I went around him it, made eye contact and the fact he was watching me made me certain he knew what he done with the pass and purposely pulled into the cycle lane. Just made the taking a photo sign at him and pointed beneath my saddle and he nodded at me.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Will you get a pulse number or should I ask for it?

I don't actually remember from my last time as it's a good while ago. I'd say if they don't offer then ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

I never got a pulse number for either of my issues, but i didn't specifically ask.

I think the best way to go is to report through trafficwatch because, from what I understand, it's on the Superintendent's metrics then, and the assigned Garda will have incentive from both you and his superior to close.

How long has it taken to get a response? I reported an incident to traffic watch 10 weeks ago and nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

It varies. My first one, 6 months before I was asked to give a statement. That has gone to court, but i don't know where it is in the process right now.

My second, I had a statement taken within a week, and all done in two.

Might be worth calling your local station to see if there's an update or see if anyone has picked it up, say you are keen to come in to give a statement.

Kander wrote: »
    How long has it taken to get a response? I reported an incident to traffic watch 10 weeks ago and nothing back yet.

Yeah mine took 3 months for the Garda to get in touch, gave a statement the following week, another 6 months before it got to court.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had one on Saturday. Cycling on Griffith Avenue, not much traffic. Had the lane, as people, even with their 3-4 car driveways like to park on the road (communities not corridors they want) al the way up.

Car coming out from one of the houses. Looked right, not sure if they see me, they're kind obscured as the parked cars are blocking their view. Looks left. No cars coming. Looks right again. This time I'm sure they see me, just as I'm about level with them they decide now is the time to make their turn. Only I felt they were going to do something stupid I somehow avoided them in a show of reactions and balance that I didn't think I had. Not so much a wave of an apology. All that and they parked on the road a little bit up from where they were exiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Slightly OT - can anyone recommend a decent sub-50 quid handlebar-mounted camera? Nothing too fancy, just for the daily commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Fupping Airport Hopper this am, 3 coaches pass me within 30 secs the first and last gave me the whole lane but not the middle guy driving the airport hopper didn't even cross the line and was well within a metre in an 80kph zone and the road was plenty wide to give me space. Caught up with him in Leixlip and he made out like he had no idea what I was on about so am wondering if he even saw me. Will check the camera when I get home and see if its worth pursuing.

Slightly OT - can anyone recommend a decent sub-50 quid handlebar-mounted camera? Nothing too fancy, just for the daily commute.

I have this and it has been reliable for me for the last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3ZKDR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically wanted the extra attachments so you might be able to get the same model camera a bit cheaper just by itself. Battery life is about an hour per charge.

One close to home this morning. Fast and close pass overtake, into an oncoming car. Traffic parked as in the photo.

https://goo.gl/maps/kSbBh2cD7DUiFpZE7

Car coming the other way had to stop dead, overtaking motorist swung back in front of me - All to get to the daily clusterfcuk that is coolmine roundabout. Caught up with him - he didn't see anything wrong with what he did.

5uspect wrote: »
    I used to live there. That last stretch was always a bit hairy with all the cars parked up because they’re too tight to park at the train station. Plenty of punishment passes for taking the lane and several doors blindly flung open in the mornings by people dropping people off for the train.

Yes this morning was definitely a punishment pass - I take the lane for a few reasons. Firstly, the speed cushions are sloped at the edges and I've nearly had the tyre skid and come from under me, as I'm hitting the edge, particularly if its wet or frosty . Secondly, yes the cars parking (a lot of these are on double yellows, but hey no enforcement and free parking so might as well, right) are also a major problem here.

Interestingly, I've nearly been doored twice in as many days, both incidences at cycle lanes. People seem to be surprised when you leave a roar at them that you're approaching at speed and that they've just flung a door open in your path. Would they be as surprised if they opened the opposite other door into the motorised traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm not sure what it is about Sandyford Ind. estate, but motorists are that bit extra impatient in the mornings and evenings around.

This morning a guy was about to left hook me at the turn here, but he aborted the maneuver at the last second. I had to jam on the brakes, thankfully he avoided me but it was all just so unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

I have this and it has been reliable for me for the last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3ZKDR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically wanted the extra attachments so you might be able to get the same model camera a bit cheaper just by itself. Battery life is about an hour per charge.

Thanks just ordered a similar model available on a lightning deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

N11 between Donnybrook and Leeson Bridge, had a taxi man beep at me (i was in a shared cycle lane so not sure why)- went by him at lights, on the receiving end of a punishment pass then when he overtook again. Went by him again at next set of lights about 100m on, Leeson bridge pretty backed up as usual so never saw him again after. Can't understand the logic when 1) I was in the cycle lane and 2) he was never making more progress than me at rush hour on that road. Must have been having a bad morning?!

jive wrote: »
    N11 between Donnybrook and Leeson Bridge, had a taxi man beep at me (i was in a shared cycle lane so not sure why)- went by him at lights, on the receiving end of a punishment pass then when he overtook again. Went by him again at next set of lights about 100m on, Leeson bridge pretty backed up as usual so never saw him again after. Can't understand the logic when 1) I was in the cycle lane and 2) he was never making more progress than me at rush hour on that road. Must have been having a bad morning?!

Sounds like taxi driving isn't for him.

tnegun wrote: »
    Fupping Airport Hopper this am, 3 coaches pass me within 30 secs the first and last gave me the whole lane but not the middle guy driving the airport hopper didn't even cross the line and was well within a metre in an 80kph zone and the road was plenty wide to give me space. Caught up with him in Leixlip and he made out like he had no idea what I was on about so am wondering if he even saw me. Will check the camera when I get home and see if its worth pursuing.

Here's the footage https://streamable.com/vm6xo . I think he saw me but no indicator or any real change in direction compared to the first and last coach who gave me loads of room. What do ye think should I follow up?

Also tried to squeeze me on this roundabout you can just see him come into the shot https://streamable.com/exvcs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Here's the footage https://streamable.com/vm6xo . I think he saw me but no indicator or any real change in direction compared to the first and last coach who gave me loads of room. What do ye think should I follow up?

Also tried to squeeze me on this roundabout you can just see him come into the shot https://streamable.com/exvcs

Absolutely report him, that was very scary and then he shows how aggressive he is again on the second vid. His employer and the Gardai need to take action, selfish, pointless, dangerous action.

Yeah report that. There was no need for it as both the first and last bus had space and did give you space when over taking.

Last light the cyclist on the opposite side to me had the close pass from the van over taking me.

It happened here so there wasn't much spare room at all. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4156424,-6.2132295,3a,75y,204.32h,75.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sve0C5xuOL9gHewtUL_MJWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Footage of it https://streamable.com/9x0fa

Last light the cyclist on the opposite side to me had the close pass from the van over taking me.

It happened here so there wasn't much spare room at all. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4156424,-6.2132295,3a,75y,204.32h,75.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sve0C5xuOL9gHewtUL_MJWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Footage of it https://streamable.com/9x0fa

Case of threading the needle there. Christ.

Case of threading the needle there. Christ.

Good old white van man. never fails to surprise.

Called it into Traffic Watch they weren't too sure would the gardai be in contact lots of non committals about what would happen next.

In fairness the guy was nice he just wouldn't commit to what would happen next lots of should's and might's . When did you submit your complaint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Lewotsil

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it is about Sandyford Ind. estate, but motorists are that bit extra impatient in the mornings and evenings around.

I work in nearby in Central Park .....traffic gone totally bananas in the last 12 months ........lots of agitated drivers .....taking 40 mins to get out of office car parks

Listening to colleagues moan is a tonic.......... co I am still the crazy guy that cycles !

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

In fairness the guy was nice he just wouldn't commit to what would happen next lots of should's and might's . When did you submit your complaint?

Traffic watch aren’t staffed by Gardaí. They’re civilian staff based in a call centre in Castlebar. They input data onto PULSE and to be fair to them it wouldn’t be in their remit to tell you how it will proceed as it’s beyond their role. They wouldn’t be familiar with criminal procedures.

They simply create a PULSE incident. This is then assigned to a Garda in the sub district of whatever Garda district the alleged offence occurred in. A Garda must be assigned to investigate it and incidents may not be assigned a garda for some time. Did you get a PULSE incident number from the call centre staff?

I knew that alright, no never got a pulse number didn't know they had access to enter it into pulse I thought it just got forwarded to the local station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement