Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

And just a few days after one of the Bus unions has announced the 123 won't be going up Philipsburgh Avenue anymore, due to illegally parked cars, forcing bus drivers to mount the pavement.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Kudos to karen in her all new electric Kona who decided to use its full off road capabilities to drive over the cobble stoned roundabout inside the phoenix park rather than the 5 seconds following me. All to join a queue of 15 other lemmings travelling at 30kph through the park. Gave her a sarcastic thumbs-up as I passed her inside half way Down Chesterfield Ave. What a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can't stand the use of the word "Karen" to describe someone. American nonsense that should be kept over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That is just one of many instances or shocking driving by a Dublin Bus employee. To think that driver thought it was OK and that no-one would be bothered. Their journey is more important. I doubt they will be sacked though looking at the benchmark of DB driving standards. Many drivers are very courteous to other road users, but too ofterln, many are not.

All drivers should be subjected to random cctv inspection of their driving.. It would help if they knew they couid be asked to account for their poor awareness or driving.

I never get why someone being paid for a driving shift is always in such a hurry to get from a to b. So what if they are 5mins late because they had to drive at the required speed and stop at traffic signals. That's part of being a professional driver in a conjested urban environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Perhaps he was late getting back to the garage after his route. I'd presume they don't get paid overtime on top of their shift, so any time lost isn't covered by pay.

Would "Caireann" work for you here in Ireland?

I saw that alright. It's just such a huge infringement, captured perfectly, that it had to get big traction. Haven't noticed any "but cyclists break red lights" comments yet 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

"an inner city bike trail"

that's a good one, I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Bus driver illegally mounting footpath because cyclists 🤯

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its one of those weird ones though. An Irish Rail driver would never speed up or try to make up time if a safety issue impeded there journey a bit. They just take it as it is, safety first. You would think DB as a semi state would have similar attitudes but it is only the ones on frequent routes that seem to behave well. This said, in the last few months the entire DB network seems to be falling apart in regards timekeeping, at least in my experience.

The Times peace mentions a junction with Brookvale Rd? Pretty sure thats in Donnybrook near the DB depot and not Terenure where the video was filmed? Could be wrong as I haven't be around those parts of Dublin in 12 years or so.

Anyway I was glad to read the Green Party councillors comments in relation to Hi Vis in that same article.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

It's such a huge infringement that I have to wonder whether it's something other than the driver being a lunatic. The driver could hardly be unaware that doing something like this would almost certainly be captured on video, and that doing something so egregious without a very good reason would be a career-limiting move.

Ah OK I know that area for sure, we used to live up the road in Rathfarnham near the castle. I'd have called that Brookvale Downs not Rd. Theres a lovely old old house in there on the left I can't recall the name of.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some good old fashioned xenophobia in there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yesterday was particularly bad for some reason with several stupid/dangerous passes on my commute all to join the back of a queue in a few 100ms, not sure what this driver was thinking, then hesitated and straddled the lane alongside me before pushing in https://streamable.com/u0k557 I passed her again 15 seconds later.

It was only 11, 11.30am.

Even if that was the case, it is still no reason to endanger other people for purely selfish reasons. I would love to see how they drive a private vehicle outside of work.

This sort of driving is like a sickness or addiction. They don't see the harm of it to others.

Society as a whole should call for more traffic enforcement, and make it a garda priority to have zero tolerance towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yeah I was wondering was it a medical emergency or something, as it's just so ridiculous it's hard to believe.

They complain that there's no bus drivers, as no one is applying for the job, then complain when they manage to hire drivers and some of them weren't born in Ireland. 😂

• Advertisement

Gardai have said they don't have the resources, and the NTA would have to cover overtime costs to police traffic laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

Cyclist was getting a good draft there

It was on the news there and I'd my dad here with us and he said exactly the same 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sad thing is that bus driver will be sent for some special training or whatever and keep their job

That is a fact, but they also don't care. Their own official and private cars are frequently parked on pavements and on cycle lanes. It is just not acceptable that they wilfully turn a blind eye, and occasionally tweet about the great work they are doing on Kilakee Rd, or elsewhere. It's needs to be 24/7 to change perceptions and behaviours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Or the one that drove clean through a pedestrian crossing as I pushed a buggie across it about 3 hours ago?

Did a half assed kinda wave apology that you get off dopes on the school run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Had a friend that worked with Dublin Bus in the 90s who would tell use stories of various disciplinary meetings he or his colleagues had, basically it's nigh on impossible to get fired.

What happens is that the driver turns up with their union rep, they have a well used and rehearsed story that the driver was under pressure to make schedules etc which is why they felt they had to do whatever idiotic thing they're in front of HR for. And that's usually it. From what I see nothing much has changed in the couple of decades since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do unions protect drivers from dismissal? Because driving a bus on a footpath can't be anything other then gross misconduct which usually results in immediate dismissal. Not only is it illegal in general, it would likely go against the policies of the bus company as they should be keeping the public's safety very high on their list of priorities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Waterford Whispers are in rare form...😁

Dublin Bus Unveil First Monster Bus – Waterford Whispers News

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

They try, because their job is to get the best outcome for their member, but it's very hard to defend gross negligence. They might try negotiate an exit package to save everyone the hassle of a drawn out investigative and disciplinary process, but if DB are willing to put in the effort and dot the i's and cross the t's, they can absolutely fire dangerous drivers. I've heard of drivers dismissed for dangerous driving and breaking rules such as using their phone while driving, even with their Union reps present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Had a close pass today. I normally take the lane in town because there's so much traffic and more chances of drivers passing close by, so anything I can do to hold them back and prevent close passes, I'll do it. City traffic is normally slow anyways, so I don't see why I can't take the lane. Am I right in my thinking? Or am I wrong?

But taking the lane today didn't matter today and I had a driver driving past me very very close, giving me very little space. As he was driving past, he pointed to the cycle lane that was very badly done as it looked like a wide footpath and it didn't have separate colours. Who knows if there was a cycle lane, he just wanted me of the road and tried to push me onto the path with his driving.

• Advertisement

Drivers just see you as being in the way. They often don't understand that they are just racing to the next tailback, while you just filter past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

Gardaí are exempt from road traffic rules. I’m not saying I agree with it but they’re doing nothing illegal by blocking your driveway, the cycle lane or the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Getting lunch is considered part of their duties.

They don’t “clock off” for breaks.

They are always on duty.

You are right about the first part, but wrong about the second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's such a vague and unqualified statement it probably is unenforceable anyway.

If you take the case of a garda on the beat. He/ She are just strolling down the road, but are fully on duty and carrying out the duties of a garda.

Similarly, if a garda is in Spar getting a sandwich for their lunch, they are equally on duty. If there was a robbery while they were in the shop, they wouldn't just say "I'm on my lunch. I'll deal with it in 45 minutes".

Same applies while they are driving to the Spar, and away from it.

i guess it comes down to how far you'd push the 'as long as it doesn't endanger road users' clause.

e.g. is parking on a footpath endangering other road users?

Yet the law doesn't say anything about responding to an emergency call.

As far as i am aware, there isn't even a definition of what is an emergency.

In pursuit of their duties is the qualifying statement though. It is not "when on duty". When I am getting lunch, I am still at work but I am not working. When they pull in for a chicken fillet roll, they are on duty but not in pursuit of their duties.

In reality, it means nothing as non gardai aren't even pulled up for this behaviour so expecting them to police themselves when they don't police others for these type of offences is ludicrous.

If it happened that such behaviur caused a serious incident that ended up in court or in legal dispute, I imagine it would depend on the strength of the solicitor but they could get a wrap on the knuckles. Would it stop that behaviour, of course not, the same way a parking ticket doesn't stop illegal parking or the charging of one druck driver doesn't stop the hundreds if not thousands who do it regularly but never get caught.

what is missing is a clause that the exemption should apply, that breaking road traffic law is allowed when necessary for them to perform their duty.

• Advertisement

Where does the law say "in pursuit of their duties"?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭knockoutned

I know its a different jurisdiction, but I've never forgotten this case of the Irish EMS driver in New York. It seemed the case hinged on whether it was an emergency, which I would guess would be similar to be in pursuit of their duties here. Its crazy to me that this was 1998 😮

I also wonder would a case be taken here in a similar circumstance, though I also appreciate that the legal system in the U.S. is a lot more cut throat, with cases taken to improve a D.A's political standing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/derry-born-ambulance-driver-faces-manslaughter-charges-1.212789

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/guilty-plea-to-negligent-homicide-by-driver-of-ambulance-1.236598

I had a bit of a final destination day today. Looking at the videos I could have probably reacted sooner but of course, I have my excuses! I was almost doored by this guy my attention was on a driver just out of shot who was on their phone and hadn't seen me making sure they didn't encroach, this taxi simply didn't give a fup he could have stopped halfway into his turn but kept going sure it's just a bike and I actually thought this guy had seen me and would keep right but looking at the video he didn't even look to his left!!

Not sure i'd be too peeved at the taxi driver there in fairness, he was better off continuing the turn to clear you.

The last one though, bloody cyclists!! :-)

Hopefully the door guy has learned a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not a huge issue but the taxi should have stopped. The bigger issue there is the laziness of apartment residents parking on the road to be right outside their front door rather than the underground parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just got a lift from my other half. OH used to he a good driver. Now doesn't seem to signal, anticipate lights/pedestrian/cyclist movements. Definitely has driven a lot less during lockdowns. I wonder is that a significant part of the issue, bad habits from not driving regularly. Admittedly a small sample size of 1 for my theory.

Yup agreed with the taxi I'd not have posted it only for I was looking for the other two incidents on the camera. He didn't even acknowledge my presence or that I had to move left to pass him I thought he could have at least come to a stop.

Another note, aside to this. A Garda is always a Garda, but they are not always on duty. They can however perform their duties while "off duty". Therefore a garda can't speed, RLJ etc. while off duty but if they have to perform their duty they can. The same as when they are "on duty". I think the nuance is in that the word can mean too different things. "On duty" refers to being at work, performing their "duty" is the active act of being a garda enforcing or preventing criminal acts.

In a court of law, I imagine it would be a decent argument but the spirit of the law (IMO) clearly refers to duty being two different words in regards being "on" and your actual duty.

One of those when the lack of acknowledgement is more annoying than anything else, like when you let someone out and they just drive on and ignore you, and you just go 'w&nker'

• Advertisement

I always give them a big obnoxious Mr Bean style wave. Sadly this makes me look like more of a twat than them. It does grind my gears though, who raised these uncivilised cretins.

Advertisement