Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In regards victim blaming, I'd keep out to the middle right if turning right.

Car is 100% in the wrong, overtaking on a roundabout and everything else but I can't trust people to not know the right thing so I'd remove the choice.

Just advice, which I know some won't feel comfortable with.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's one of those roundabouts which drivers can (and do) just drive over when it doesn't suit them. So positioning yourself in the road to prevent **** manoeuvres doesn't work so well

Auburn Ave

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6kXHoUgtSDa6pPbk7

It would have to help a bit, if you were further over it would have been difficult to overtake on even a drive over roundabout as you'd have to almost go onto the wrong side of the road to do it..

Again, not saying he had too, just what I would do as I don't trust people.

And I am not saying they done anything wrong, just that, the way the world is, I would have been much further to the right. The cyclist appears to be to the left of the single lane. Perfectly right to be there but I just would have held a line closer to the right / center of roundabout. Other car would have seen you earlier and the stupid overtake IMO was less likely as the muppet possibly thought he was going straight on. None of this excuses the behaviour of several motorists in this clip, it was not just the overtake that was bad (although that was possibly the worst bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Agree!

He should have been further out. If he had his hand out to indicate that he wasn't taking the first exit however he was in the right, if he hadn't he was stupid as traffic could presume he was exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If I'm going through a roundabout usually I'll get in line behind other vehicles to cement my position on the road that way I'm already in position to take the centre of the lane going through the roundabout but also importantly, it prevents people joining the roundabout at the same time as me as they can't physically fit alongside me and nobody can squeeze past me.

If there's no traffic to queue behind I still move out to a central position on approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mine was on the other side (sorry lads).

Waiting to go straight at a junction today. Jeep to my right was turning right.

Light turned green and I took off. Immediately had to jump on the brakes as a middle aged woman tore through the red light on her bike (shopping basket on the front). I literally missed her by millimetres.

My youngest let a roar out of her and we both got a serious fright.

Your one pedalled on like mad without a backwards glance!!

I didn't say the car driver wasn't't at fault - that was obvious! However, if he wasn't indicating (as required incidentally) he was stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling to work and approaching the right turn into the underground car park.

Gave the car behind me plenty of notice as I'd moved into centre of the lane.

Stuck out right hand and moved over to the right.

Was about to take my turn when the car behind me overtakes me.

I was furious.... as i turned towards the carpark.....i looked over and the driver had stopped at the next ser of lights.

He gained nothing by his overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you look at the point at which the car passes the OP they were over to the right of the hatch markings, i can't see a single bit of blame on the OP here.

The only possible way of removing the choice here would be to kerb the roundabout to stop idiots from driving over it.

• Advertisement

Exactly, you only have to look at the immediately previous video to see a hand signal being ignored, and the OP wouldn't have been signalling while they were turning the bike anyway, any signal would have been on approach. The driver was a pr1ck, there's nothing else to say here imo

100% don't blame the cyclist at all and on relooking at it, yes more over than I thought at the overtake. I just would have been that far over upon entering. That in no way takes away from the 100% blame on the numpty driver.

It is getting worse out there, driver all over the shop on the M11 yesterday, passed a speed van at over the limit ( I was just under it but the speed differential between us, they must have been tipping 120+kmph minimum), and were swaying between the overtaking lane and the empty driving lane. I noticed the phone out in front of their head as they went by me. Witnesses two near misses on my one drive on the M50 this week, same thing, drivers in rush hour traffic on their phones. Luckily the car and 8 wheeler noticed the deviation and had space in the hard shoulder to move into. The old school driving errors of overtaking and then turning are creeping in more and more as well, at least one a morning for the last week in Dun Laoghaire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

of any clip i've seen posted here, my reaction to anyone saying 'the cyclist should have done something different here' would be 'hang up your cycling shoes, we cannot win'. a motorist driving straight across a roundabout, cutting up a cyclist; there's simply nothing available to the cyclist to anticipate or prevent this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Had the misfortune to cycle down the quays from the Phoenix Park this morning. Not something I would like to do regularly. Buses passing within inches, bicycles lanes blocked by taxis, wheels bins, people. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Also from a legality perspective, road position on a bicycle is taken as indication. Also this aside, you shouldn't be overtaking on a single lane roundabout, whether someone has indicated or not.

From a personal point of view, how would you trust an indicator on a roundabout in Ireland anyway, only a minority seem to know how to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Every time I'm on the M50, I see multiple drivers on their phones, often the ones zooming past at well over the speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah I often run on the roads locally. Its a bit of a hobby now to count them. Nice straight bit along the golf links road in bettystown, 1 in 4 often some days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I look into the cars stopped at lights, the ones that didn't break the lights, that is. For any 10 cars in a queue it's not unusual to see at least 6 or 7 0f them on their phones.

Also, if I come up behind someone on their phone I let a roar at them to get off their phones. I didn't think they'd be able to hear me but they can. I have a couple on video, I must put them up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

They were objecting to people posting photos on Twitter but, when challenged, could offer no valid GDPR issue that would prevent people from doing so. Their argument was basically that everyone is entitled to due process, including people who park on footpaths/cycle lanes/double yellow lines, etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, Gardai did bizarrely object to other people's posts on Twitter, though they have absolutely no role in relation to GDPR. No data protection authority in Europe has suggested that social media posts showing vehicle registration numbers breach GDPR, given the indirect relationship between person and vehicle registration

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love when people complain about GDPR and privacy when posting reg plates online as if they aren't visible to everyone everywhere you go and have literally zero personal information associated with them.

the whole point of reg plates is that they must be visible from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 landlady 2023

Had a very close shave cycling at Blakes Cross in Dublin today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I certainly wouldn't want to end up on the receiving end of a legal action like this but it seems like an individual publishing photos documenting a social issue could claim a journalistic exemption based on the following:

https://bookdown.org/fede_caruso/bookdown/the-journalistic-exemption-in-the-gdpr.html#:~:text=Indeed%2C%20in%20the,to%20these%20purposes.

Indeed, in the Buivids case4, the CJEU accepted that the journalist exception was applicable to a citizen who published a video recording in youtube, proved that the object of the recording and publication thereof was the disclosure of information, opinions or ideas to the public. Similarly, in the Satamedia case5 the CJEU ruled that data collection and dissemination activities could also be considered “journalistic”, if their aim was to disclose to the public information, opinions or ideas, no matter the means employed. The fact that the controller was a nonmedia organization for profit-making purposes was considered irrelevant to these purposes.

Maybe read his Twitter comments where he stated that he wasn't signalling 🙈

• Advertisement

Of course in the event of an accident and court case not signalling whilst steering a bicycle around a roundabout will be trumped by overtaking while driving directly over it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You give out courts to much credit. It would likely be given as a split liability

Car pulled out in front of me yesterday, no indicator, didn't look. As I passed his open window at the light, I commented that he didn't use his indicator or mirrors.

The light has just gone red and 30 seconds in his car edges forward into the bike box:

"Did you say something to me buddy?"

"I just let you know you didn't use your mirrors or indicator"

"I did use my indicat..., use my mirror"

"But you didn't see me"

"I did see you"

"Well at least I know what type of person you are then, no need to say more"

"Get off your f'in bicycle" (implying fisticuffs might occur)

NB I had not raised my voice at all yet.

"I didn't raise my voice to you or curse, I simply pointed out you didn't indicate or use your mirrors, nothing more"

And the next line through me

" Oh, eh, sorry, I better reverse"

" No worries but you'd be safer staying where you are as there is a motorbike behind you"

Sheepish looks, light went green, it was not where I thought it was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭bmc58

On Facebook there's a community called "Parking Clowns" Ireland (I think that's what it's called.Shows photos of terrible parking all over ireland,names the towns and cities too.Number plate are always clearly visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭bmc58

Holy god as Miley used to say.That was a close one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Don't know about the rest of you, but the drivers on the roads yesterday all gave me extra space, with the wind and weather the way it was. Except of course for the (who else) blue BMW boy racer who decides to close pass me (I was already doing 50kmph) at speed, on the descent from Bray to Greystones, with strong, gusty cross winds coming in from the coast. The car following him had no difficulty giving me nearly the whole lane as she calmly passed. There was no traffic coming against us, no queue of cars behind me, absolutely no reason for the close pass. I rarely get close passes that bother me, so to get one in the weather we had yesterday really pi**ed me off at the time. An absolute liability of a driver.

Usually followed by a brace of commenters explaining away dangerous parking with "just a working man doing a job" and the like.

Presumably illegal parking is an intrinsic part of being a working man doing a job nowadays.

Depends on a multitude of factors but easy to do on that descent and I'd certainly have no issues with it.

at the risk of victim blaming - take the road. don't let that prick do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security on a road like that you could go 30 mins without being passed and then the first guy does that to you!

100% it is victim blaming but many will see being in at the side as you "letting them through". The videographer moves out straight after to where they should have been the whole time. This in no way excuses the bus driver though, there is no room for error or hitting a bump in the road there. I'd be straight into the draft to follow them to their next stop and ask was there really a need for it.

Local bus pulled in on top of me half way through overtaking, I slammed on the brakes thankfully and the rear end pulled across me with 10cm to spare. I continued on, calling in to him that it was hardly worth it as I passed. Anyway, getting to the train and the bus is parking up, I decide to approach the driver, calmly, no shouting. He apologised profusely, admitted fault. He hadn't planned to pull in at all and as he was passing me a passenger started screaming to stop and he messed up. Very apologetic and said he was glad I had the where with all to haul my brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

100%; chatted to 3 secondary school lads this morning in an effort to give them the same advice. Cycling inside in the gutter and cars squeezing through. An accident waiting to happen.

Drivers should be shot for squeezing past 3 teenagers, but it's an open invite for clowns to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not me, but jesus christ where do we get our Gardai from

And a good thread as to why what's reasonablly perceived as the Gardai basically not caring.

I believe it, many having heard it before. I think several have been warned they coul be charged with a variety of things for the audacity to curse as they were run off the road.

• Advertisement

No matter what the guy did before or after what you see in that clip, there is no excuse for the Gardai to brush it off with a threat in order for them to basically get out of doing a bit of work related to road traffic.

It's like dealing with kids, daddy, Johnny hit me, well you made a face at him first didn't you.

I'd hazzard a guess that a reasonable proportion of regulars here have come up against a Garda working harder to put you off following up on a complaint than actually following up on your complaint.

Except they don't act on "any other illegal act". They ONLY act on whatever they can do to discourage this person from making future reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

This tweet is an invaluable resource which deals both with how to make a report formally to the Gardai that your local Garda can't stop, and how to mitigate against incriminating yourself (which can be used as leverage to prevent you taking the process further).

My personal golden rule is - never react. Don't swear, don't change your course, don't go after whomever wronged you and definitely don't talk to them. Just carry on, and report it. Any and all vigilantism can be used against you.

Its a fair question - I'd normally be pushing 70kmph going down there. It's a safe descent - good visibility, good surface, virtually no cornering and no road furniture. If you're familiar with that section you'll be aware of potential gusts from the sea. But given the consistent weather conditions I didn't have any qualms. I knocked the speed off and was really only pedalling for balance and control - I find that a handy technique in windy conditions. There's a sweet spot between going to fast and too slow in gusty weather - often a bit of speed helps to quickly correct. Hence pulling the speed back to about 50. But it doesn't really matter how slow you're going, if a strong gust hits you you'll likely deviate from your line by a foot or so. If I'd been hit by that car due to a gust, it wouldn't have been my speed that caused it.

Obviously can't comment on this case as I don't know the person in question and there's all sorts of reasons why at any given moment you might find yourself tight to the verge, but that's a classic example of inexperienced cycling style. Same with descending on the brakes (to a degree) and passive moving off from junctions (Stop signs, lights, roundabouts etc.). The common denominator is that a lot of drivers will see it as an invite to bully you out of the way. It's not at all a case of taking an aggressive cyclist -v- motorist approach. There's nothing wrong with being assertive where you have right of way. There's also nothing wrong with being inexperienced and 'learning on the job' - we've all been there and done that - it shouldn't lead to being driven off the road.

It's not the case they are obliged. They have discretion to do so but they often claim things that you wouldn't get charged for.

On the subject of roads policing, a funny one just a few minutes ago on my bus commute this morning... a Roads Policing Garda car signalled for the "out of service" Dublin Bus in front of mine to pull over. Bus did so, just before the lesson street/ waterloo road junction driving northbound. As the Garda pulled in behind him, directly in front of my bus, I noticed the lights for us going red and a number of cars continue on through them regardless. Including my bus which - as we were stationary and I was looking at the red light thinking a) what a stupid place to get the bus to pull in, b) I can't believe people are ploughing through a red light despite the presence of a Garda car with flashing lights who has just pulled someone over, and c) I can't believe the Garda notices nothing - proceeded to manoeuvre off from stationary to get around the Garda car and casually drive straight through the junction for which he had (for at least the last 10 seconds) a red light. The red light all these vehicles were driving through was a pedestrian crossing, which by the time our bus passed through had already turned amber.

The mind actually boggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

A few years ago I was cycling through Glasnevin. In this bus lane a Garda car was meekly waiting behind several drivers illegally using the bus lane during its hours of operation:

The vehicle in front of the Garda car was a tipper truck. The lights went green and we all moved off

This is the next junction:

The driver of the tipper truck wanted to turn left, but the bus in the right lane was partially encroaching on the left lane. No problem, he just drives up onto the footpath and around the bus, literally right in front of the Garda car. No reaction from the Gardai whatsoever.

I've had encounters with the police in several European countries (alas, I am not the bad boy that this makes me out to be) and when it comes to road traffic law enforcement at least, the Gardai are an impotent shower of gobshites. The Knocknagoshel Tidy Towns committee would be more effective.

On the NCR at Stoneybatter one afternoon I had the green light when driving but a car coming from my right went through through their red. At the other side of the junction from me was Garda car, so the red light breaker, who I had to stop for, done so directly infront of the Garda car who also had a green.

But amazingly they weren't bothered. As I was pretty much stopped in the middle of the junction I rolled down my window and gave the international WTF gesture.

Only then, and begrudgingly so, did they turn around. The car had slipped down a small lane as if they were trying to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dunno who let the mouth breathers out of their cages today, but two punishment passes in succession followed by laying on the horn to tell me there’s a cycle lane on the Alfie Byrne road (which is blocked off at multiple points due to construction), despite there being plenty of room to overtake me without having to cross the line.

Caught up to both at the lights who quickly put their windows up and just kept saying “use the cycle lane”

Advertisement