Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

Tbh i'd have said nowt and just passed them, calling out to someone from behind unexpectedly they could do anything.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's a panic reaction as you may know what you've said or plan to do but they have seconds to react and don't. If the option is there, hop onto the road or slow down to walking pace, otherwise just stop until their reaction is clear. If you can move to the road or give them loads of space, don't call out anything at all.

On your right seems to get misheard as move right so many times, I'd only say it to a rider I'm on a spin with or actually, in a race with.

No different than when I am driving and I meet a cyclist or a pedestrian, if I have to come to a dead stop to be sure, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I just shout out BIKE when I see yet another person out walking with no lights, high viz or anything really; or walking a dog with a lead or often no lead!

Generally they grab the dog and make sure they don't lunge for me. But sometimes a chase ensues.

I think I found the winner for near misses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That's crazy. A winner if that's the right word

The 2 incidents I've had in the last 5 years have both involved overtaking through junctions.

Once, car overtaking me hit a car pulling out of a junction.

The second was better. Car overtakes me then 2 cars in a row overtake him. As they do this through a junction a fella cokes out of the junction. All 3 cars kinda end stuck in eachother in the ditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My favourite bit is when they tell us about all the invisible cyclists that they saw.

Lookit, don't be chasing the dogs, it's not fair on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

To make it worse that car 'lives' about thirty seconds down the road !

Don't think it is meant as an antagonistic comment, I think it is just a general excuse when there is no plausible one. One they think they would get away with if they walked into someone coming down the street. Like an auto reaction, rather than the more honest, I seen you but my brain just didn't care to give enough time to think the situation, likelihood or consequences through. As a species we are quite atrocious at those two things, even worse at putting them together.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I consider it a reflex and no more. And I know they saw me, but they generally don't register me.

My reflex now is to using a form of sign language tell them to cop the **** on.

I had one elderly lady tell me recently 'I'm very sorry, I couldn't see you, you've no lights there at the back'.

"I've three lights at the back, mam, one solid and two flashing".

'Oh'.

• Advertisement

Nearly forgot about this with everything else that was going on, apologies if there's another thread on it.

Have to say don't see many 'proper' sentences like this here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Frankly, I think that sentence is disgusting and I hope the state appeals it. The damage she did to that poor man and his family, to the point he couldn't even come to court to give his victim impact statement, and she'll likely do no more then 3 years. Across the water she'd have got at least twice that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am so used to ridiculously lenient sentences that I am surprised at the length of this one.

You are absolutely correct though

The driving ban should have been for life imo. The fact that she was absolutely pissed working with toddlers should be another alarm bell, but I'd also suspect the prison time is near the max amount that can be awarded

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect it's about normal for the offence - manslaughter would get 10-15 years i suspect had he actually died in this incident (based on the document below) so the fact that this was not a fatal incident would have knocked a good deal off that.

"Offences in the high range of seriousness attract a sentence in the range of 10 to 15 years. These cases tend to involve aggravating factors which may include a history of violence between the accused and the victim, indifference or callousness towards the victim, use of a potentially lethal weapon, and death resulting from an unlawful act carrying a high risk of serious injury of which the accused was aware or ought to have been aware. Previous convictions for assault or other relevant convictions may also be a factor."

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

10 minutes into my first ride with this light on my head tube (wearing a long-sleeved high-vis jacket and high-vis gloves) and a BMW driver pulls out without slowing in front of me on a mini-roundabout. She apologised profusely and said that the sun was in her eyes (it was behind broken cloud). Presumably the idea is that if the sun is in your eyes you just drive on regardless. I wonder if her remorse will drive her to buy a pair of sunglasses.

Mid Cobber Front Bike Light | USB Rechargeable | Knog

EDIT: I guess the sun was in the driver's eyes: Luas services between The Point and Smithfield stopped after collision between car and tram (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Tragically and bizarrely, in the courts of this country there is a precedent and that actually is considered a valid defence

And it should've been thrown out. That driver was driving west, the sun was behind her in the east at 8 am or whatever it was.

It's actually criminal that it was accepted. Should've had a sentence for the **** driving and another for the trying to bullshit the court

I am starting to hate a certain type of ebike riders and, in the most click bait of titles, it is not the one you are thinking of...

It is all men my age, commuting, just ploughing on through groups stopped at lights, through reds as other cyclists come from other junctions. I used ungentlemanly language to express my frustration at the one who winged me while I waited for the red light to change this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I feel your pain. Kind of goes to prove the old adage *, a d**k is a d**k whether he's driving his car, cycling his bike, or queuing for a bus.

Edit: * may or may not in fact be an old adage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The schoolboys salmoning on them really pisses me off. Cop the F on you're 15 not 5.

It's an adage as old as time.

I suppose some of it is the commuter mentality now on ebikes.

When I commute in Dublin by bike I know it'll take in and around the same amount of time whether I bull on or enjoy the ride. 5 mins either way. So I enjoy my 25 mins of solitude.

Ah I'd have done the same in school. Unfortunately there's a reason nobody wants to insure young fellas in cars.

I really don't feel they are as much of a danger as they appear to be. I used to see them all the time and while they annoyed me, I can't recall an incident where they continued on a collision course but your mileage may vary. Men my own age cutting through people going in the same direction are much more annoying although only appear around commuting times.

100%, never have an issue with someone who was clearly gaining on me going ahead. The lad on the ebike came through me and someone else despite a) I overtook him only 25 seconds before, b) there wasn't space (he hit me), well there would have been if he had slowed c) he went through us all at the same speed he was tipping along at, maybe 30kmph, straight through a ped junction, which someone was on but luckily he missed but he couldn't see because of his speed and there was a large vehicle blocking his view on approach. d) he was a ****, not knowing your a **** doesn't mean your not a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a weird one - try explaining to non-cyclists why that sort of behaviour is irritating, and they look at you like you've two heads.

I've interjected once and only once. Some arseholes kept mounting the kerb at the 5 lamps to get to the front of the queue of anything from 5-10 cyclists. He'd then saunter on at a plod with limited overtaking unless you did it at the junction.

I said something very non confrontational after about 5 days of this and he lost the head, but he then came a cropper because he was so annoyed he wasn't paying attention. He had to drop anchor and get off his bike when he didn't realise he'd gone through a light I think and nearly smacked into a turning car. He then got pissy with the driver.

But I generally say nothing and wait for the moment to just leave them behind. Use it as training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Toptip: when the light is red, stop as far into the junction as possible so that any other cyclist that wants to salmon in front of you can’t stop in front of you. Once the light for the opposing traffic goes amber that’s the moment to start off again.

yeah, yeah I know it’s illegal, but it avoids a lot of hassle.

You obviously live in a nice part of the country where Amber tells traffic to stop unless unsafe to do so. TBF, I clip in and track stand, make it look like I am going to go regardless which appears to usually stop the 3rd car in traffic from running the red as mine has already turned green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Why not?

And what has avoiding cycle lanes got to do with the issue? Are you suggesting that if you don't appreciate the selfish, rude and irresponsible behaviour of others in shared spaces you should leave?

I'm genuinely perplexed at why you take such umbrage at the idea of one adult asking another adult not to behave like a d**k in a shared public space.

• Advertisement

I say nothing.

Only spoken to fellow cyclists 3 times about their cycling.

All 3 went up the inside of left turning or indicating buses/ HGVs. All 3 took the advice as intended, but I try to give advice in good spirit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I hate seeing that. You just close your eyes and hope something terrible doesn't happen.

Or going between a bus and a HGV. 😬

A classic see bike=must overtake

Don't think it's much to do with not paying attention per se, rather a complete lack of ability to observe and judge, and drive accordingly.

No shortage of them out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I seen a guy on a Dublin bike a couple of years ago plough through a red light outside Heuston where the green pedestrian light had gone and there was a young child who had begun walking and was yanked back by his mother who luckily had spotted this.

I caught up with him on the quays and as I passed I said "watch out for people when you're going through lights". At the next red he asked what I said and I said "you nearly hit a kid going through that light". He looked at me like I'd too heads and said he didn't see anything. Unsure if it's worse if he didn't look or if he seen it and just went on regardless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I see your MGIF and raise you this.

The driver can clearly see the stationary traffic ahead when they make their pass. Talk about completely and utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

This is becoming the new norm for me at the roundabout at Dundrum shopping centre. Cars just don't stop.

I was going down the bypass towards the Luas Bridge, but I decided to chase after the driver. He did a full 360 around the roundabout, dropped someone off and drove away. I didn't catch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Was the driver able to see you? It looks like you don't have a front light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can see the reflections of a strobe light. I'd still say its insufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I have an excellent light,

I also have reflective and hi vis clothing. I’m well lit up when I cycle in the dark.

Its reflected off signs 150m+ up the road, I wouldn't say its insufficient, brighter than the dims on most cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

My wife witnessed a dooring on O'Connell Street about an hour ago. Looks like the cyclist had a body cam. It was a taxi passenger who did the dooring, and immediately lost the rag - but several bystanders came to the defence of the cyclist.

Interesting one. Assume it was the offside door and not the near one?

Would still be the responsibility of the driver to check their mirrors before allowing the passenger to alight as would be near impossible for the passenger to see behind them. I'm sure I recall a driver telling me to wait once. Weird that the passenger lost the rag, but that's O'Connell Street for you.

correct re the side of the car - my wife reckoned the door was opened with such speed/force she suspects the passenger was bailing without intending to pay. which might explain the reaction, she was probably already hopped up on adrenaline if that was the case.

she saw it from the top deck of a bus - the driver of the bus stopped for a couple of minutes too.

This was all my fault, apparently.

Despite having a bright orange top, a solid rear red light, a flashing rear red light on this camera, Mr Volvo 'never saw you' and was very surprised and upset when I tapped his wing mirror to stop him driving over me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're clearly ahead of that car for the whole clip until they turn into you. Pretty poor driving.

• Advertisement

Near miss would be a slight exaggeration, as I had it well covered - but this guy never looked my direction until I called out to him.

Advertisement