Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

Where did i agree?. Filtering up the inside of an already indicating and already moved to the left vehicle is illegal.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

Tbh i'd expect more from a mod, you've moved from accusing me of waffling to accusing me downright trolling.

The legislation is right there in your post, remove the reasonable expectation, the vehicle has already moved. If the vehicle is already there then there can be no expectation, reasonable or unreasonable, that it's going to move to the left.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not. Youre wrong. Get over it. You've been wrong on this before.

There is a cycle lane, just not a mandatory one.

I don't think it was necessary by the cyclists, but it's equally not necessary to be in it. They managed to presumably stay out of the lane further back.

I'm not actually criticising the op either. I don't think they did anything wrong. It's just that you're wrong.

You've also missed the point where they are stationary too.

It is. It's you're. I won't thanks. Where have i been wrong?

Because the OP didn't do anything wrong, but your claim what the cyclists did was illegal is waffle. . You've quoted a law and then made stuff up. Give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭knockoutned

Just to follow up, I was stopped again at this junction this morning, so I made a very conscious effort in where I positioned my car. I went as far right as I could with blocking the right lane, and I still believe a bike couldn’t squeeze by.

Not that it mattered, there was a bus in front of me blocking the full lane!

Two cyclist went up on the path to pass both myself and the bus. As I turned left having indicated, one cyclist cycled off the curb to continue straight without looking. I think it’s just a junction where I will have to be overly cautious!

Thanks for all the responses.

• Advertisement

Oh I would agree. There is enough space at that junction to put in advance stop lane, earlier lights for cyclists and a proper separate bike lane, but it won’t happen until bus connects happens.

On a side note, I know there is a lot of money being allocated towards active travel, but I wish they would setup a dedicated team of interested engineers responsible for implementing these plans nationwide, instead of relying on current county councils to do it. It would also be useful if there was a way to highlight problems directly to them, like this junction, so a continuous improvement can happen where needed, instead of waiting for large projects. I guess I can dream!

The 'movement to the left' is not the execution of the turn, it's the positioning of the vehicle beforehand.

It's quite clear in the ROTR, the check for approaching cyclists is done before this manoeuvre. Once done, whether about to turn or stopped at lights, the vehicle has priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Leaving aside the fact that the ROTR are not legislation.

You should check for traffic before any manoeuvre. Once you've stopped the manoeuvre is over and a new check should be done before starting the next manoeuvre.

Yeah, that’s why I said interested engineers, engineers who would regularly cycle, walk or wheel (never heard of this term before this week) and would have an interest in doing it right. Would probably need to pay them equivalent of a private sector wage, however, I would imagine that there would be cost savings in the long run. Anyway a pipe dream!

Rules of the road are advice. They're not the law .

You are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is sort of happening. There are dedicated teams being recruited in LA's around the country to particularly champion active transport designs. They'll be SME's so to speak. Additionally, any of the engineers are being trained using "experiential visits" to places like Utrecht. It's not exactly what you're describing, but it's a good start.

I find LA engineers now way better educated on cycle infrastructure than 2-3 years ago, in general. It's definitely improving in the two Cork LA's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

They'll probably come to that conclusion once they've burnt through hundreds of millions of wasted Euro on 'upgrading' crap road infrastructure to still crap road infrastructure. It always seems to be the way in this country. The obvious solution is staring the authorities in the face, but they wait until years/ decades have passed before acting on it, by which point the world has moved on and money wasted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this has been one of the issues facing local authorities; DCC can't hire enough people, they're operating at ~90% nominal headcount, and the shortfall is most pronounced in areas where they can't compete with the private sector for pay, so in engineering etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Any near misses to report there lads?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Indeed, time to move on as it's just people repeating the same thing. Nearly all seem to have missed the cyclist was on the footpad and so no one's point is valid, so let's just leave it there. The law has been quoted and seems clear, anyone who can't understand it can go to PM for clearer explanations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Burton Hall Road, travelling west after the Luas tracks last week on my commute home. Traffic built up in the lane on the right, I took the left lane to go left up ahead and some idiot in a German saloon raced in from the right lane narrowly missing the last car in the line and skimmed past me. Fortunately for them I didn't catch up around the Beacon.

• Advertisement

I've seen a few morons, usually on mopeds, do the same, even in segregated cycle lanes!

I wondered that after posting, I'm never on the quays:-).

You would think there shouldn't have to be a public reminder that motorbikes can't use cycle lanes but then again...

Hope the missus was proud of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I was cycling through Ranelagh today. A range rover was parked in the cycle lane, outside Dean hotel.

As I passed the car I looked back .. the male driver came out and shouted.. are you OK there?

I decided that I was OK... Male on male aggression right there.

What he doesn't know is.. I could have circled back and sent his teeth down his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Steoller

Any idea what made him shout at you? seems a bit random?

As the poster noted above... "male aggression". It's always the same. Yes, you get idiotic female drivers. Plenty of ignorant ones too. Even the odd angry one. But anyone who cycles can attest to the very different experiences you get from male versus female drivers. Gimme ignorance and idiotic over aggressive every day.

Saw a woman on a bike nearly become the latest cyclist to be killed by a HGV in the city centre. One of the most braindead displays of cycling I've ever seen.

Cycling from Ely Place towards Merrion Street/ Baggot Street junction, she decided that the best place for her to turn right onto Baggot St was not, as you might have assumed, in the right hand, right-turn-only lane, but in the left hand, straight-ahead only lane. Not only that, but it occurred to her that it made perfect sense to move up the inside on a Guinness Delivery Truck to do so. So off she went, gliding up the driver's blindside, proceeds to the front left of the cabin, takes a hand off the bars and signals right while starting her turn. Thankfully there was a passenger in the truck who happened to glance to his left and reached across with his arm to get the driver's attention as she passed within a couple of feet of the front left of the cabin. Meanwhile middle aged lady cyclist looks incredulously at them for having nearly run her over, stops at the other side of the junction having made her (illegal) right hand turn, and glared at the truck as it drove on. She's now gone about her day telling everyone who will listen about the criminally dangerous driver that nearly killed her.

I genuinely shudder to think what would have happened if there hadn't been a passenger in that truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://x.com/righttobikeit/status/1769999646628192711?s=20..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Another classic from him. His "right to bike" seems to come before any kind of common sense on the road.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Never mind that he saw the man going across but only brakes at the last minute. His 'righttobikeit' supersedes everyone's else rights on the road.

• Advertisement

He's a plonker. Absolute plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Trucks shouldn't be let out on the road with blind spots if they can't share safely with other road users.

He braked at the first minute that the man moved out onto the road.

He should be slowing before that. That he has di do an emergency break says he wasn't paying as much attention to the scene in front of him as he likes to believes.

As I said, he's a plonker

A blind spot isn't an excuse for braindead road craft though. One is fixable at a personal level.

No,it seemed to me that he braked at the last minute. Why did he go in front of the scooter instead move behind? And lastly rtbi has full use of all limbs whereas the disabled man might not..

Had my near death one with a Guinness lorry too, over twenty years ago now but never left me. Heading into Terenure outbound from town he overtook closely on a left bend. Mid to rear of the lorry was in constant contact with my shoulder, just wasn't my time that i didn't catch in anything.

Imagine if we were as quick to point out the root cause of the danger as we were to criticise a cyclist?

• Advertisement

The root cause isn't always a blind spot Andrew. Sometimes, you know the root cause of danger is ones personal responsibility.

The post being discussed specifically mentioned the blind spot as an issue, but didn't point out the responsibility of the owner to ensure that their equipment is safe.

You're failing to see that even if there wasn't a blind spot, the moronic behaviour by cyclist still would have been the cause of the incident.

IT's not always Vehicle = Bad andrew. You really need to stop trying to blame absolutely everything on anyone but the person on the bike sometimes. Because sometimes it's a two way street

He should have started braking before that, never mind the fact he shouldn't have put this clip on X in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not really seeing anything wrong in the wheel chair video.

Maybe he could have braked a bit earlier but he also had a green light and was moving fairly quickly.

Eh, we are. Witness the 214 pages of this thread. It doesn't mean that actively putting yourself in danger through a mixture of idiocy, lack of awareness and disregard for the ROTR shouldn't also be called out. Even if that truck had no blind spot (and I used that term loosely to describe the scene and without and actual evidence), there's a high chance the same sequence of events and near death experience would have resulted. Not many people driving vehicles in a straight-ahead-only lane, next to a dedicated right-turn-only lane, would think to look left and behind when travelling straight on with a green light.

• Advertisement

We're not really though. We tend to accept blind spots as a fact of life, instead of recognising them as arising from skimping on mirrors or cameras or crew on watch.

So he should have assumed that the wheelchair user was going to try to cross on the red man without checking for traffic?

They can be both.

There's nothing to suggest that their equipment wasn't safe? Maybe you misinterpreted my (i.e. a first-hand witness to the event, not the driver of the truck) post as suggesting that the truck driver did anything wrong. They did not. They'd have been entitled to have sat on the horn, rolled down the window and roared at the woman who nearly altered both of their lives for the worse. But they didn't. Instead, witnessing a cyclist try to execute a right hand turn in the worst conceivable manner, they jumped on the brakes and avoided a collision.

For avoidance of doubt - and apologies if it's confused anyone - by referring to the vehicle's blind spot I was simply referring to that area of the road, right next to the left hand side of HGV, that most people associate with being the area where a driver has most difficulty spotting you.

This incident was 100% down to almost criminally bad road craft by that cyclist. She ticked virtually every box in the "Don't do that if you want to stay alive" bingo card. I'm still struggling to figure out what her thinking was.

Considering righttobikeiy has a long history of a) putting himself in position he shouldn't (b) being wrong and (c) doubling down and being a pillock he really should have been prepared to stop sooner

You should always be slowing at a pedestrian crossing, more so when you see a pedestrian at it or approach ir. You don't just carry on and hold your speed and hope your brakes are good enough.

If he were not a bike you'd be pillorying him

And you're still ignoring personal responsibility there. Don't go the inside of large vehicles and don't turn right once you're immediately past them.

All the equipment in the world wouldn't stop that idiocy from being injured

• Advertisement
Advertisement