Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

Late on the indicators for sure but still my self preservation instinct would not have allowed me to have ended up in the position that guy did. Car is 100% wrong but he had time to see that indicator as he was still behind. No point in being right and dead!!!
    Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Late on the indicators for sure but still my self preservation instinct would not have allowed me to have ended up in the position that guy did. Car is 100% wrong but he had time to see that indicator as he was still behind. No point in being right and dead!!!

Technically he'd be wrong and dead as the car was indicating before he was level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

buffalo wrote: »
    How is the car (or even the driver) 100% wrong?

Yeah, really confused on this one. If I'm in a car, and I'm turning left, I have right of way regardless of any cyclists continuing straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Achasanai wrote: »
    Yeah, really confused on this one. If I'm in a car, and I'm turning left, I have right of way regardless of any cyclists continuing straight?

Depends where you are in a car. If you're behind the cyclist, you can't speed up and left hook regardless if you're signalling. If the car is ahead and signalling left, the cyclist hangs back and the car has right of way. Problem is if theres' 2 or 3 cars turning left, they will just continue regardless of where the cyclist is. This is where correct road positioning comes in as someone pointed out above - those painted lines are not a guarantee of being safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

5uspect wrote: »

Incident took place in June, don't think the legislation was in effect then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Incident took place in June, don't think the legislation was in effect then.

I thought it was always the law, just clarified and the penalty changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

tnegun wrote: »
    I thought it was always the law, just clarified and the penalty changed?

I might have got this arseways and we could be talking about different offences.

I assumed the post referred to the dangerously overtaking a cyclist legislation which came in in November.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Co worker came in this morning shaking. Going through a junction the light went to Amber when they were half way through. As if a gun was put to the head of the oncoming motorist, they gunned it through (from behind the line) and swung right, straight at my friend. Thankfully their brakes were in good order (and my co worker swerved) as a crowd of pedestrians let out a scream. Said driver proceeded to lay on the horn and start shouting that they came out of nowhere. They have decent lights, Hi Vis, all the bells and whistles, straight line junction (although it is an elongated junction). They are thinking of packing in the bike altogether. Apparently the pedestrians came over to check were they OK, one commenting they were lucky to still be here. When they described it to me, all they could ask was what more were they meant to do.

I might have got this arseways and we could be talking about different offences.

I assumed the post referred to the dangerously overtaking a cyclist legislation which came in in November.

Me too for some reason I thought the law always existed it was just clarified and the penalty added. A quick google suggests the law for dangerous overtaking existed but a separate offense was added for over taking cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

i can't see that as anything but moot, the fact that the car is indicating implies it's changing lanes, regardless of the presence of a cycle lane.

Can you change lane if the other lane is occupied though, even if you indicate?
    Should you wait until the lane is clear/safe to move into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This morning on my usual cycle. Big box for cyclists by the lights. I am first there and stop in the box and as I know the cars tend to pull into the box I position myself to prevent this. No difference as a car pulls up incredibly close to me and in the box. I signal the driver to look down. He rolls down the window to tell me that he is doing this as it is safer for me!!!! I explain it isn't and he doesn't get to decide how the road works.
    Lights go green and as there are the usual cars stuck in the yellow box I can go forward but he is blocked. Think that is it until as I am cycling along he serves his car at me and beeps his horn. Way too close again. Proceeds up to be stuck at the next set of lights. When I then tap his window to ask him what he is playing at he turns complete coward apologising profusely. Held my temper but very close to really bringing down hell on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Acquiescence

Last two spins I've been on have been conspicuous by their lack of close passes.

It's a bad state of affairs when it's a novelty to not feel in imminent danger at any point while trying to do a bit of exercise..

I'm probably going to get murdered next week.

501397.jpg

Jinxed myself. Had somebody pull across the bus lane in slow moving traffic into the row of shops as I was doing 40kph+ managed to swerve up onto the footpath. Closest I've come to coming off. If I hadn't seen her indicate last second I was across the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

At least the driver was sanctioned, but it’s a shame you have to pester the Gardaí to do anything.

I think I’ll have to start using a rear camera, I’ve had a few incidents of aggressive drivers behind me on Strawberry Beds.

Agree. It's a shame you have to pester to get meaningful action for things like this.

I am in the process of pestering for a similar type incident that left me on the ground, vehicle then stopped, and drove off. Two things stand out:
    Garda tells me "the driver is actually a nice guy"
    And no prosecution was recommend as it was deemed to be a 50/50 thing.
    The driver has lied in their account and the Garda bought it. I have rear video showing the vehicle contacting me and I am told its not conclusive.
    Pestering is a waste of my time but you have to make the Garda account for the decisions and be consistent in their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agree. It's a shame you have to pester to get meaningful action for things like this.

I am in the process of pestering for a similar type incident that left me on the ground, vehicle then stopped, and drove off. Two things stand out:
    Garda tells me "the driver is actually a nice guy"
    And no prosecution was recommend as it was deemed to be a 50/50 thing.
    The driver has lied in their account and the Garda bought it. I have rear video showing the vehicle contacting me and I am told its not conclusive.
    Pestering is a waste of my time but you have to make the Garda account for the decisions and be consistent in their actions.

Verging on unbelievable that you have video showing the vehicle hitting you, and that's still not enough. They really make it very hard for cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Verging on unbelievable that you have video showing the vehicle hitting you, and that's still not enough. They really make it very hard for cyclists.

It's certainly useable for a civil suit for compensation even without a criminal action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A cyclist near miss this evening.

So I'm tipping down the quays, and there're are 3 cyclists in front of me. The nearest two go by the first one, and a short while later I go to do the same thing. The cyclist is in the middle of the lane, I pop out to the outside of the lane, and the cyclist just throws their arm fully out, missing me by mere cms. I shouted 'you need to look behind yourself honey' as I went by.

A short time later everyone is stopped at a red light on the quays, and the cyclist who nearly knocked me off my bike with their hand pulls up. I can't remember how we started talking, but I said you need to look behind yourself before you throw your arm out. The cyclist then said 'I wasn't expecting you' (I was the third person to pass him out in about 30-50m). I repeated myself, then he said 'You shouldn't have been going so fast, the speed you were doing'.

Then for some reason I mentioned that I was within the 30kph speed limit, which on my 48x18 fixie I was but I was annoyed at myself for even saying that because there are no speed limits for cyclists and I was slower than the previous two who passed him out! And the main issue was him almost knocking me off my bike in rush hour by throwing the full length of his magic arm of infallibility without even a cursory glance behind! I was the only woman of the three to pass him out. I don't think that was part of it though, but it interested me that I was the only speeder in his eyes despite being the slowest of the three who passed him out.

Anyway, this continues, I say he nearly knocked me off my bike, he said a very angry and grudging sorry a couple of times, grumbling about my speed, and then the light went green and I never saw him again.
    He moved into the middle lane, threw the whole arm out and never, at any stage did he even briefly glance behind himself :rolleyes:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I don't get it, what was his arm out for? Signalling? Waving? Stretching? :confused:

I think he was trying to signal.
    Although once he reached the rest of us at the lights he was in the same lane as us so who knows!
    It did look like a signal though. The hand out and move kind, with nary a look behind!
    The arm came out as my shoulders were at his fingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

eeeee wrote: »
    I think he was trying to signal.
    Although once he reached the rest of us at the lights he was in the same lane as us so who knows!
    It did look like a signal though. The hand out and move kind, with nary a look behind!
    The arm came out as my shoulders were at his fingers!

Disgusted a girl passed him out.

On a fixie.

And then scolded him.

Correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I was annoyed at myself for even saying that because there are no speed limits for cyclists

Wait - is this true? My new commute is taking me up the North Quays some days and I stick to 30ish, but am I actually allowed to bomb it while cars *have* to do 30 max??

1 - Doesn't seem to fair as the 30 is for safety of all (including peds)
    2 - I realise this is all entirely hypothetical as its not like anyone will ever enforce it. Ever (Judging by the amount of cars going well over this, driving in bus lane, motorbikes using the cycling infra etc)

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »
    Wait - is this true? My new commute is taking me up the North Quays some days and I stick to 30ish, but am I actually allowed to bomb it while cars *have* to do 30 max??

1 - Doesn't seem to fair as the 30 is for safety of all (including peds)
    2 - I realise this is all entirely hypothetical as its not like anyone will ever enforce it. Ever (Judging by the amount of cars going well over this, driving in bus lane, motorbikes using the cycling infra etc)

Yeah there's no speed limit for bikes.

Reminds of the time a guy pulled out in front of me from a side road and then proceeded to tell me if I had hit him it would of been my fault for cycling to fast. When I explained it was nonsense he told me he was a cyclist too so knew what he was talking about I just cycled off at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

tnegun wrote: »
    cycling to fast.......was a cyclist

Had both of the separately

Taxi driver stuck in traffic decides.....screw this and decides to take a left turn with looking .... my fault for cycling too fast

Going down hill towards the quays in heavy traffic.......filtering between cars which are stopped......woman car coming from opposite direction turns right right in front of me ..... Never bothered looking uphill for other on coming traffic .... also hold me I shouldn't have been cycling between the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Disgusted a girl passed him out.

On a fixie.

And then scolded him.

Correctly.

This happens to me a reasonable amount. I'm not especially fast so if I am passing you, you probably have a heavy bike or you're taking your time. I can't tell you the number of times I've passed a much slower (male) cyclist (to the point where it's difficult to cycle behind them) only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

I even had it happen as a pedestrian two weeks ago. Walked past a man on a (very wide) footpath. There's no way I could have startled him or put him off course or anything like that, I was nowhere near him. He kind of huffed in annoyance and took off at a sprint. I assumed he had seen a bus he was trying to catch or something but no, he ran a little further ahead, looked back at me and resumed his normal pace. When I went to pass him again he kept weaving to either side of the footpath to block me from passing him. Absolutely bizarre.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

Regards less of "can't let a girl pass" angle this happens all the time anyway.

It is just part of the general lack of awareness a lot of people have on the roads. Selfish, must get ahead (even if the net effect is just to slow everyone down). Most of the time I don't even bother with the ASL jungle and just sit in the Queue of cars and get round them once I can 'see how the dust settles'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The cyclist is in the middle of the lane, I pop out to the outside of the lane, and the cyclist just throws their arm fully out, missing me by mere cms. I shouted 'you need to look behind yourself honey' as I went by.

We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Jesus! Trafficwatch that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

F*cking awful driving :mad:

As an aside, look at all that beautiful traffic! Brings a tear to the eye to see so many mindlessly committed to endlessly sitting in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Stark wrote: »
    That's called shoaling and the idiots do that everyone, nothing to do with gender. Used to drive me nuts when I cycled along the grand canal to work as it was so difficult to pass them out in the narrow cycle path again.

This discussion is amusing. While driving in areas with lots of traffic lights, I've often overtaken the same cyclist(s) several times as they come back ahead of me again at the next lights. It's a bit frustrating but that's life!

If I came on here and complained about them I know exactly the reaction I would get. Don't be impatient, it shows the futility of driving, cyclists have the same right to use the road, etc.

The situation described here is exactly the same with a cyclist being inconvenienced by a slower cyclist. However it is now apparently 'selfish', 'lack of awareness', 'slowing everyone down' and there is even a name for it. Surely I can't be the only one to see the hypocrisy in this?

Shoaling (aka being a c**t) is shoaling no matter who you do it to.

Suppose I'm driving and I have a cyclist in front of me. It may take a while to overtake them but eventually I do. When stopped at the next traffic light, the cyclist moves ahead of me and the whole process starts again.

Am I allowed to call this shoaling and complain about the cyclist? If not, why not? What's the difference?

Martin567 wrote: »
    The situation described here is exactly the same with a cyclist being inconvenienced by a slower cyclist. However it is now apparently 'selfish', 'lack of awareness', 'slowing everyone down' and there is even a name for it. Surely I can't be the only one to see the hypocrisy in this?

Why am I a hypocrite because someone else on a bike slowed you down once?

If I am driving or cycling I get annoyed when someone inconsiderately bullies their way to the front of a Q then carries on with no awareness to anyone around them.

• Advertisement

Suppose I'm driving and I have a cyclist in front of me. It may take a while to overtake them but eventually I do. When stopped at the next traffic light, the cyclist moves ahead of me and the whole process starts again.

Am I allowed to call this shoaling and complain about the cyclist? If not, why not? What's the difference?

Shoaling is specifically a group of people doing this then spreading out. You can complain about whatever you want!

There is a slight difference with car vs bike as some junctions do have advance stop lines for vulnerable road users. However, me personally wont fight to the front then stop in the centre of it as I would rather just keep up with the flow of traffic (when I can).

Of course. The same should apply regardless of whether you're in a bike or a car. Only overtake if you're going to make progress. I'd only move up at the lights if there's a chance I wouldn't make it through at the next sequence, i.e. a chance I'd stay ahead of the people who've just overtaken me.

Interesting. I agree but highly doubt if that would be a majority view on this forum.

Interesting. I agree but highly doubt if that would be a majority view on this forum.

:)

Not all cyclists behave the same? No more than all drivers are the same. Not all cyclist are on this forum (and at a guess I would say a lot of cyclist here would have done some sort of training/be part of a club/ have loads of good bike handling experience).

You think there is a secret meeting or hidden social media site where its agreed on how to use the road when cycling (to maximise inconvenience to anyone not on a bike)?

Each situation is on its own, unfortunately there are simply a lot of oblivious fu(kers (on all modes of transport) out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

I have the reg which shows the NCT expired in Jun 2019 so one for traffic watch I think. .

You can check if a given registration number has a valid NCT? Seriously? where?

Not going to mention GDPR.

Edit: Nevermind Google told me.

https://www.ncts.ie/1264

https://www.ncts.ie/1263

Don't know why you need to mention not mentioning GDPR - got nothing to do with it - no personal information revealed.

EDIT: Never seen the edit

^ there is the English language link - the site seems to take an interesting approach to localisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What if it is an UK reg can you check them in some way.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What if it is an UK reg can you check them in some way.

If its from Great Britain you can check the current tax and MOT status on one site (above poster) or get the full MOT history including advisories, failures etc on another gov site (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk).

DVLA NI do not provide such a service online, so if a car went from NI to GB and back then the NI years are not available.

If its a UK car in ROI.. then I have no idea if NCT shows this.

No record of my car. Assuming it's because they only have cars on file that have done at least one previous NCT?

Dunno - I tested it with a made up 171 number and it worked..(showed not due and I could do a voluntary test).

Maybe if its newer than '17 it wont work as 17 will come online for NCT testing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Not a near miss but an observation.

Walking home from Tesco......young woman early 20s driving towards me.....I can see the illumination of her phone .... as she passes me she's head down cradling her phone with both hands typing away with the briefest glance up.....WTF

Ironically there's a Garda station on the same road that she'd be driving towards.

TheChizler wrote: »
    We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

I gave him 3 feet. When i was up to him, he was in thre middle of the lane, and I was at the white line. The other 2 who passed him were the same. He'd been in that position for quite a while so i just thought he was holding the road between lights.
    He was doing the old magic have out and move. Except here doesn't put his hand out and move till I was beside him, and moved towards me.

Re shoaling, happens all the time, and more when you're a woman, for sure.
    I mean they even have a stupid bullshyte name for when a woman is faster than you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

Jesus.
    Report the fcuk out of that

All the crazies were out in Lucan today my fault for not taking the lane I was distracted having an argument to myself :o road is completely clear but the driver chose the one possible pinch point to pass me. https://streamable.com/5950y

No idea what this guy was up to what you can't see is he is just as the video starts he almost hits me cycling on the wrong side of the road with no lights, then after weaving all over the road maybe he was taking the lane?? he breaks a red light on the wrong side of the road again to mount a footpath and start walking so not in a rush??? https://streamable.com/e6emj

ffs two in a row the first guy wasn't much better than the second.

It certainly seems that way.

It was a long ****ing day I didn’t need another muppet.

But didn't you listen - you were in the road.. like you were actually cycling on the middle of the road :rolleyes:

The audacity (and it's been said to me before) to admit close passing a cyclist, at speed, on purpose because the driver feels the cyclist isn't positioned correctly. It's shocking when we know they wouldn't try it with a fork lift or a digger for fear of damaging their car.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hand in my mouth with this one

Best thing he did in that video was to look down to highlight his position on the road before the overtake. Exactly the right place.

Tearing along the dotted line. :pac:

ye exactly (for clarity - I was being sarcastic!!) - in my mind you were taking a considerate line - far enough from the left to avoid all the sh!te like drains and crap road, but as far over as possible given the width or road etc. The driver was being a complete pr!ck and then got all defensive when called out on it. Please report it, but I fear it will result in little action..

kenmm wrote: »
    ye exactly (for clarity - I was being sarcastic!!) - in my mind you were taking a considerate line - far enough from the left to avoid all the sh!te like drains and crap road, but as far over as possible given the width or road etc. The driver was being a complete pr!ck and then got all defensive when called out on it. Please report it, but I fear it will result in little action..

If the OP does report it, point out the age of the driver and the N on the rear window. I suspect from what I've seen and heard of him in the video the Gardaí calling to his door to have a word with him will do him the world of good :D

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The audacity (and it's been said to me before) to admit close passing a cyclist, at speed, on purpose because the driver feels the cyclist isn't positioned correctly. It's shocking when we know they wouldn't try it with a fork lift or a digger for fear of damaging their car.
    I’m somehow in the middle of the road and yet he can’t seem able to use the ****ing opposite lane to overtake. Flawless logic.

I know you did nothing wrong, but from his warped perspective you did and he chose to (and admitted to) close passing you on purpose. Even if you were out of position for whatever reason it's no excuse to buzz you like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I gave him 3 feet. When i was up to him, he was in thre middle of the lane, and I was at the white line. The other 2 who passed him were the same. He'd been in that position for quite a while so i just thought he was holding the road between lights.
    He was doing the old magic have out and move. Except here doesn't put his hand out and move till I was beside him, and moved towards me.
    The way you originally described it it sounded like they nearly knocked you off with their arm. First mention of them moving too.

Advertisement