Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champion Hurdle

• 08-03-2019 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

No thread yet for the biggest spectacle of the 1st day. BD surely gets a nice toe into the race and it will take a good one to beat the 2 time champion but something just tells me his form is NOT bomb proof. Laurina fans will be praying for rain as she is unknown on anything like decent ground and Apples Jade is a mare of a lifetime and if she turns up getting the 7lb allowance id be amazed if shes beaten.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Apples Laurina reverse forecast is a sure thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The champ champ for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If this Sharjah wins ill give up gambling. Backed him last year in the Supreme and wasnt even sighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Can see Buveur d'air going off at close to 3/1 before the race.

Will be getting on that for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If this Sharjah wins ill give up gambling. Backed him last year in the Supreme and wasnt even sighted

I'm just hoping he places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Espoir D'Allen to win his first of 3:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Apples Jade. With the ground on the soft side its going to suit her even more. Absolute good thing!

Probably a no bet race for me in saying that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am hoping that the top three flop/underperform and I am going ew on Sharjah.

In fairness the horse has won 2 grade 1's and the best handicap hurdle in the world. At 12-1 I think it is a good ew bet. The only negative I can find is that he did not run well in last years' supreme. Apart from that he could be a much improved horse this year. He burst a good few bubbles at Leopardstown at Christmas. The best horses will go on any ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Melon and coming around to Espoir D’allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am hoping that the top three flop/underperform and I am going ew on Sharjah.

In fairness the horse has won 2 grade 1's and the best handicap hurdle in the world. At 12-1 I think it is a good ew bet. The only negative I can find is that he did not run well in last years' supreme. Apart from that he could be a much improved horse this year. He burst a good few bubbles at Leopardstown at Christmas. The best horses will go on any ground.

needs good ground no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

The best handicap hurdle is a bit of a stretch. Its run around a dog track. :pac:

carq wrote: »
    needs good ground no ?

Good ground would be ideal. But the clerk of the course has stated that they are aiming for good to soft. That is the same as yielding ground over here. In fairness I would not be splitting too many hairs over the going. If he is good enough he will go on any ground. I would be more worried about his Supreme Novice run last year, that was poor. However he has done nothing wrong since. Ignore the run in Down Royal, that race is a head scratcher for me.

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    The best handicap hurdle is a bit of a stretch. Its run around a dog track. :pac:

The richest handicap hurdle in the world. Galway is a brilliant track pal. Don't cod yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

The richest handicap hurdle in the world. Galway is a brilliant track pal. Don't cod yourself.

Ah i was only messing with you. I knew what you meant. Although we will have to agree to disagree on this point

No bother at all. But Ballybrit is a great track to test any animal. Some great horses have won races there and gone on to win at more prestigious events. You know it is true.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The mare has a great chance but surprised she’s favourite against a true champion like BD who, despite one setback, hasn’t looked like he’s regressing to me. Made a hash of one when he got beaten, but still the slickest, fastest jumper around and will remain BD all day long for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Buveur D'air for me.

I'd be worried about Apples Jade jumping right and I don't think Laurina screams Champion Hurdler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Yeah Laurina looks like a chaser to me. Coin flip between BDA and Jade for me. The mare hasn't put a foot wrong all season and BDA hasn't looked as unerring as usual, notably not cycling through the gears as easily as last year.

I'll thump someone if the likes of Melon and Sharjah are involved. Or Brain Power God forbid.

This place will go into meltdown when/if Laurina wins dancing!!!!

Wouldn't mind her winning but I'd prefer not simply because I am convinced there's a better chaser in her than hurdler and she'll be stuck a hurdler for the considerable future if she wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Good ground would be ideal. But the clerk of the course has stated that they are aiming for good to soft. That is the same as yielding ground over here. In fairness I would not be splitting too many hairs over the going. If he is good enough he will go on any ground. I would be more worried about his Supreme Novice run last year, that was poor. However he has done nothing wrong since. Ignore the run in Down Royal, that race is a head scratcher for me.

My only concern is he’s on the go since last summer. It’s near impossible to get them peak twice in a season especially if they are on the go so many months. It would be great if he did it. I can see him stalking them approaching the last if he’s 100% but that’s the doubt, getting him there on peak form after such a long season for him. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

I think Espoir Dallen is a great each way bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

On Laurina since November! Still convinced she wins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Chesty08 wrote: »
    On Laurina since November! Still convinced she wins

Ah come on, this talk is really starting to annoy me now. Still convinced she wins based on what exactly? Highest rated horse she has beaten has been 147 and both of those horses ran about 10lbs below their best. This reminds me of all the talk about Melon and worse again that grey yoke that was fav for the Supreme having never even seen a racecourse.

Betting and racing is all about opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs, but there’s nothing worse than someone throwing out a line and not being able to back it up. In my opinion, nothing she has shown makes her a Champion Hurdle contender never mind a Champion Hurdle winner. Anyone backing her musn’t like having money.

For what it’s worth, I think Buveur D’Air wins.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭OsmosisJ

Motivator wrote: »
    Ah come on, this talk is really starting to annoy me now. Still convinced she wins based on what exactly? Highest rated horse she has beaten has been 147 and both of those horses ran about 10lbs below their best. This reminds me of all the talk about Melon and worse again that grey yoke that was fav for the Supreme having never even seen a racecourse.

Betting and racing is all about opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs, but there’s nothing worse than someone throwing out a line and not being able to back it up. In my opinion, nothing she has shown makes her a Champion Hurdle contender never mind a Champion Hurdle winner. Anyone backing her musn’t like having money.

For what it’s worth, I think Buveur D’Air wins.
    brave call

OsmosisJ wrote: »
    brave call

Bet with your eyes lads not with your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've Sharjah backed but will back BD on the day when I get the nice drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Buveaur D’air wins easy for me, but I’m a little worried of laurinas potential.
    Apples jade will be eased off when everything is running by her.

I've Sharjah backed but will back BD on the day when I get the nice drift.

I really like Sharjah, possibly just a couple of lbs below top class but I think he’s been on the go too long. I think he’s had 9 races since Cheltenham last year and he’s been on the go all summer. It’s a big ask to get him ready again for Tuesday but he’s an admirable horse who’ll battle away. I would just be wary of him having too much racing.

• Advertisement

I really like Sharjah, possibly just a couple of lbs below top class but I think he’s been on the go too long. I think he’s had 9 races since Cheltenham last year and he’s been on the go all summer. It’s a big ask to get him ready again for Tuesday but he’s an admirable horse who’ll battle away. I would just be wary of him having too much racing.

True Motivator but I'm sticking with him. I didn't back Dodging Bullets in 2014 because he was on the go all season and was kicking myself in the bollox over it. Win or lose won't make that mistake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Backed Brain Power antepost thinking neither of the Mares would turn up.
    Give him little chance now but you Never know could be placed.
    Think Laurina will be hit with a big culture shock and might not be involved at the business end.
    Between BDA and AJ and i think its Aj for me and im looking forward to her performing something special, slight worry about the course but by God shes just been too impressive this season to let it put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Last year Buveur D’Air beat Melon (who has never won a Grade 1) by a neck and 3 lengths back was the 150's rated Mick Jazz.

In his preps this year he's 2/3 against some 150's rated horses.

You can't fault him too much as he keeps winning but he's up against it this year with the super mare and the potential super mare turning up. Last couple of CH have been dismal. imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Apples Jade for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thought Barry was in front a good bit too soon last year, don’t think that was the plan. Can see him getting a lovely toe off AJ all the way up the straight this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

True Motivator but I'm sticking with him. I didn't back Dodging Bullets in 2014 because he was on the go all season and was kicking myself in the bollox over it. Win or lose won't make that mistake again.

Why were you kicking yourself? He got beaten.

• Advertisement

Really? Horse has a never struck me as a battler. Thought he was a bit of a dog as a novice. Downed tools in the Deloitte and dogged in it Tipp last summer and even in the Galway Hurdle only he’d 20lbs in hand he’d an awful head carriage. Very classy animal who’s got his ground on his last two starts and both races sort of fell into his lap. Been on the go since September 2017. Wouldn’t be for me now.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Why were you kicking yourself? He got beaten.

Sh1t sorry 2015.

That was the same year Annie Power upset the acca lads.

Thought Barry was in front a good bit too soon last year, don’t think that was the plan. Can see him getting a lovely toe off AJ all the way up the straight this time.

Agree
    Could see a similar performance to Newcastle earlier this season v samcro, powering away after the last hurdle.
    I know samcro was poor the next time but that doesn’t mean he performed the same at Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    I think Espoir Dallen is a great each way bet.

Pockets full for the rest of the week. Absolutely hosed up

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Pockets full for the rest of the week. Absolutely hosed up

Great shout

• Advertisement

I backed buveur d’air, but I was never happy with how he was traveling, Barry was nudging him into the bridle most the way, I don’t believe he would have won had he jumped like some posters.

Melon and coming around to Espoir D’allen.

Didn’t back Espoir D’Allen but I am convinced we still we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of Melon yet. There is a masheen of a horse in there somewhere if they can get it out of him. Going jumping next year Mullins said with Laurina aswell.

So at this stage do we just say the evidence points to AJ just is not a Cheltenham horse ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Trio123

Delighted for Mark Walsh, a top jock!

So at this stage do we just say the evidence points to AJ just is not a Cheltenham horse ?

Without doubt yeah, surprised if AJ races at Cheltenham again

Buveaur D’air wins easy for me, but I’m a little worried of laurinas potential.
    Apples jade will be eased off when everything is running by her.

Was spot on with apples jade, now watch paisley park get stuck in the mud.

Don't think it's a case of not liking Cheltenham. Some punters on here have claimed she had beaten nothing or horses regressing this season. I wouldn't say that myself but do feel it was a combination of that and it being a level too far for her.

She died a death today her worst performance by a mile at the course. It's not a simple case of her not liking it there.

2nd in the Triumph and has won a Mares already. Wouldn't say she's bad at the track, just probably doesn't suit her as well as others. She's still a hell of a horse and I'd nearly back her blind for a Stayers next year. If Samcro didn't get sick and ran here today then she might have very well hacked up in the Mares again...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

AJ has never performed as well at Cheltenham as she has at any other track.

She should have skipped the festival and went to Aintree and/or Punchestown

Every time she gets beaten people make excuses, but it’s usually when she goes up a notch in class where she struggles.
    She’s a very good mare but she has won poor grade 1s.
    Don’t be fooled again by her at punchestown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement